JJChastity:

you started two books, wow. my progress is still on 11% and 10 days left so I have to read 13 pages a day to finish what I'm reading.

I don't think I will be able to complete none of them in 10 days, even with 13 pages a day. 11% is how many pages? 

Kapetria:

I don't think I will be able to complete none of them in 10 days, even with 13 pages a day. 11% is how many pages? 

11% is 17 pages but I just add 18 pages so it's 24% now (35 pages out of 144) so I need to read 11 pages a day to finish. 

I really want to make it work, reading a book a month. I hope I can keep up.

JJChastity:

11% is 17 pages but I just add 18 pages so it's 24% now (35 pages out of 144) so I need to read 11 pages a day to finish. 

I really want to make it work, reading a book a month. I hope I can keep up.

If I can't complete, I will leave On the Road, since it is a re-read and try to complete lights out in March

since you don't wanna chose other book, you can stretch the period and complete it in March  first days than later pick  your March read

Kapetria:

If I can't complete, I will leave On the Road, since it is a re-read and try to complete lights out in March

since you don't wanna chose other book, you can stretch the period and complete it in March  first days than later pick  your March read

Although it's an option, as penel said, it's okay even if we don't finish a book a month and continue another month by sharing just our progress but I hope I won't stretch the period. I have so many books to read but since my reading slump is severe, those books just end up on my shelf, sometimes even with their plastic covers still intact. I'm ashamed of myself as a book lover, why did I buy them if I don't read them. To remember my young self who used to stuck in the library to read books as thick as even encyclopedias. I wonder where that person go.

JJChastity:

Although it's an option, as penel said, it's okay even if we don't finish a book a month and continue another month by sharing just our progress but I hope I won't stretch the period. I have so many books to read but since my reading slump is severe, those books just end up on my shelf, sometimes even with their plastic covers still intact. I'm ashamed of myself as a book lover, why did I buy them if I don't read them. To remember my young self who used to stuck in the library to read books as thick as even encyclopedias. I wonder where that person go.

Same! I feel guilty looking at all these books I bought but never read... poor babies :(

Though I did finish my 1st February book pick, I made no real progress with my 2nd - I've read less than 1/3 of it, though it's a good one. Real life obligations didn't even let me start some of the new dramas I'm interested in... Let's see if I can make it this weekend ^^

If that tip helps, when I plan on reading something, I don't count the pages I have to read, but I promise myself to dedicate half an hour of a certain day to reading - usually, if the book is to my liking, I end up spending more time on reading it than I actually thought I would -and without even realizing it...

You can do it! Just pick a book of one of your fave authors you haven't read, preferably a short one for a start. We won't return to our old-selves that easily, but any number of pages read is definitely a progress :) Hwaiting!!!

Anushka :

New book update:

I'm gonna start reading Catching Fire from Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins. I'm big fan of Hunger Games movies and in last year I read the first part of it and I liked it more than movie itself but then I didn't get chance to read next part so I'm gonna do it now. 

I'm hoping I'll enjoy it as much I enjoyed it's prequel. 

I don't know if I'm able to finish it... after started to read it I had exams so I took 1 week break and now I'm not getting any inspiration I think after reading textbooks too many times I lost my interset in reading, hope I'll recover from this slump, well I never had reading slump before. 

Anushka :

I don't know if I'm able to finish it... after started to read it I had exams so I took 1 week break and now I'm not getting any inspiration I think after reading textbooks too many times I lost my interset in reading, hope I'll recover from this slump, well I never had reading slump before. 

If it is of any help, I enjoyed the books much more that the movies! You can do it xD

JJChastity:

there is no need of shame, I too have books on their plastic, I think of them as money in the bank, I can't read now, but I can if alive read them in the future .

those pages you've read gave you any pleasure?

Anushka :

I can't read young adult anymore cause I've read so many of them that now I avoid them

Kapetria:

there is no need of shame, I too have books on their plastic, I think of them as money in the bank, I can't read now, but I can if alive read them in the future .

those pages you've read gave you any pleasure?

yes, I too think of a book as an investment. 

For me, just like drama, whether I force myself to watch or read, it depends on the quality whether it can give me pleasure or not. And since this is a good book, I like what I read so far. 

I have my own tips now: I leave the book open wide on display near me at the last page I read, then because I keep seeing it, I end up grab it to read at some time or later.

@penel

cause I can't quote your post. 

you have read a second book this month, wow that's nice. 

yes, any number of pages is already progress. I hope I can slowly return to a book reader not only lover with continuing this challenge indefinitely. Thanks for creating this challenge.

JJChastity:

yes, I too think of a book as an investment. 

For me, just like drama, whether I force myself to watch or read, it depends on the quality whether it can give me pleasure or not. And since this is a good book, I like what I read so far. 

I have my own tips now: I leave the book open wide on display near me at the last page I read, then because I keep seeing it, I end up grab it to read at some time or later.

@penel

cause I can't quote your post. 

you have read a second book this month, wow that's nice. 

yes, any number of pages is already progress. I hope I can slowly return to a book reader not only lover with continuing this challenge indefinitely. Thanks for creating this challenge.

Nice tip!

​​​​

Author: Arkady Vaksberg

Polish title: Łysina Lenina. Wspomnienia adwokata. 

English translated title: Lenin's boldness. Memories of the Lawyer 

Genre: Non-fiction, Reportage

Thoughts: I am not impressed. The book was suppose to be this crazy court cases from Soviet Union (taking into consideration how ridiculous was the law and the court system back then), but only few cases were truly that unheard of, and some could easily happen now. I did "drop" one of the cases half way through coz it was quite boring. This was for sure not an amazing read. 

Favorite quote

none, this was not quotable book lol 

Done with three, one more to go: Pearl S. Buck "The Living Reed".

Kate:

Author: Arkady Vaksberg

Polish title: Łysina Lenina. Wspomnienia adwokata. 

English translated title: Lenin's boldness. Memories of the Lawyer 

Genre: Non-fiction, Reportage

Thoughts: I am not impressed. The book was suppose to be this crazy court cases from Soviet Union (taking into consideration how ridiculous was the law and the court system back then), but only few cases were truly that unheard of, and some could easily happen now. I did "drop" one of the cases half way through coz it was quite boring. This was for sure not an amazing read. 

Favorite quote

none, this was not quotable book lol 

Done with three, one more to go: Pearl S. Buck "The Living Reed".

Good luck with your 4th book this month. Wow, I'm jealous. Hopefully I can follow your footstep later when I'm back to myself. ^-^

I finally finished THE BOOK AND THE SWORD!!

Well, "finished" is a stretch, since as I mentioned on my op, there are huge parts missing in the e-book version I picked up from WuxiaSociety... To know what actually happened, I had to read some online summaries, lol! 

IF this book was complete, it would take at least 4/5 stars from me, maybe even 5/5, cause I loved what I did read, and the translation quality was great... But as it stands, this edition/translation/ebook abridgement of an abridgement with no f****** bridges, lol, can barely claim 1/5 stars from me!! :/

Now on to "White Horse Neighing in the West Wind", since this is the next in publication order that has been translated (well, actually it's Legend of the Condor Heroes, but I wanna save the trilogy for last). 

This is a fan translation done by WuxiaSociety/SPCnet, no e-book to download (THANKFULLY, as the previous experience taught me, lol), so I hope it will be a better experience this time!!

Author: Pearl S. Buck

Polish title: Ta Trzcina Żyje 

English title: The Living Reed: A Novel of Korea

Genre: Historical Fiction

Thoughts: I truly loved it. Polish and Korean history is quite similar in terms of occupation and all that, so it was easy for me to relate to all the events described. The plot starts just before the Japanese occupation of Korea starts and ends when Japan loses the War. They give dates (few) but I googled just to be sure and the time period is from 1881 to 1945, tho the last years are describes as a one, quickly passing block of time. 

The book tells a story of nobel family Kim, from the father (who was Queen's trusted man), to his grandchildren. I loved Il Han's part (the father) and when the story moved on to Yul Han (the younger son, more peaceful). The last part that presented the life of Yul Chan felt too rushed for me. I didn't fully understand his character nor characters surrounding him. Not to mention Sasza, who was just a big nope of a character to me. They literally described him as a man how thinks if woman fears him it means she wants to be "take by force" (not necessarily raped but forced into relationship). I mean. bitch no. 

I don't know guys. I just feel like it's a beautiful story written in an interesting way. It gives just glimpse of all the atrocities that were happening in Korea during Japanese occupation, so it does not feel too heavy. This is one of the books, that is not really my type, but somehow I end up liking at lot. 

Favorite quote

"- Are there school in town?

- Yes, father, there are few teachers from America.

- They are Christians!

- There are also schools, where the Japanese teach. 

- You want to learn from Japanese?

- I just want to learn". 

I just really liked this conversation. I think that showed the difference between the father and son quite well. I think it also has a good sentiment: knowledge and science is universal - does not matter from who you are learning, it matters what and how you will use it. 

Done with all the books for February - 4/4. Will slow down a bit in March, probably read 3 books, 2 being a on a smaller note lol 

JJChastity:
Good luck with your 4th book this month. Wow, I'm jealous. Hopefully I can follow your footstep later when I'm back to myself. ^-^

It was a good month for me lol Just yesterday I have finished the last book I planned to read :)

Honestly, it does not matter how many books we read, as long as we have fun reading.