LucianYaz:

Hey, the intent of the club is not to make you feel bad about the quantity of your reading compared to others. I've been through slumps that have lasted months and the one thing I knew is that I'd get out of it when I got out of it. Just enjoy or learn from whatever you're reading, no matter how much or how little reading you get done daily. At least, you're trying.  

I'm generally an avid reader but I don't feel like it at all right now. Other than assigned reading for my course, my daily devotional, and a Peter Drucker one-reading-a-day book, I haven't gone back to any of the four books I listed for March reading. And I strongly resist feeling pressured about it ;)

kaisrexci:

Hello!
It's okay if we take it slowly. After all, this is for us to get back on reading... to continue if it's still part of our activity... or to reread our favorites. That's my reason why I joined and I assume others too.
When I read about this post, I was a bit anxious that it's gonna be a same book haha coz I might not join, but I'm glad it's not. As penel said, this is to motivate each other to make the hobby again.
And who says manga doesn't count? Manga is a comic book so share if you're reading one!

penel:

If manga doesn't count, then my daughter hasn't read any book the whole pandemic year! In fact, she finished a few manga series this winter and she's proud of starting reading again other books apart from her school assignments ;) So, if you ask her and me, as a strong supporter of all the things that makes us better and happy, manga does count!!! Go ahead and read your manga books to your heart's content xD 

Thank you guys! I don't mean as a competition. Just like penel said it's too encourage each other to read. So what I mean is that, seeing people already read more than 1 book a month serves as a reminder for me so my joining the club actually helps me to get out of my reading slump. 

About manga, I usually read online. And saying too bad it doesn't count is just because I am never in a slump for manga so it doesn't serve my purpose to read books outside manga so I ban it for myself. Just last month I finished 3 mangas but I didn't finish the book that I put in February pick. that's a shame for me. 

and No, no, No don't worry I don't feel any pressure at all and I'm still enjoying pages that I read even though I haven't finish the book. 

I just made a plan now for the whole year, which book I'm going to read. I hope I can do it. 

Fighting!

JJChastity:

Too bad it doesn't count. Manga is one of the diversion when I'm tired with drama. Same with movies as well.  But I think It should be books with most words not most picture

Mangas and Graphic Novels, are under the category of fictional novels. They are a narrative and have a sequence of events with a beginning, middle, and end which follows a novel's format. Therefore they are in fact reading material. Take this from a librarian who has studied this and advocates for it (as all Librarians do). If you are reading manga/graphic novels, you are in fact READING. It 100% counts. Multiliteracy is also a huge thing that is being acknowledged in academics and libraries. There is no limit to what form of reading you participate in as long as you have quenched your interest is valid.

Wandering_Queen:

Mangas and Graphic Novels, are under the category of fictional novels. They are a narrative and have a sequence of events with a beginning, middle, and end which follows a novel's format. Therefore they are in fact reading material. Take this from a librarian who has studied this and advocates for it (as all Librarians do). If you are reading manga/graphic novels, you are in fact READING. It 100% counts. Multiliteracy is also a huge thing that is being acknowledged in academics and libraries. There is no limit to what form of reading you participate in as long as you have quenched your interest is valid. 

some mangás and graphic novels has very long dialogues, such as Preacher(everybody is talkative) and SnK(too much explanations all the time) almost gets near a regular book in text-characters content 

MARCH

CURRENTLY READING:

I'm about a quarter of the way in this one. Not really like Sidney Grice as a character. But then I tend to hate characters who are unnecessarily rude.

Kapetria:

some mangás and graphic novels has very big dialogues, such as Preacher(everybody is talkative) and SnK(too much explanations all the time) almost gets near a regular book in text-characters content 

Yes, and many have complex themes and narratives that require the reader to pay attention.

JJChastity:
Thank you guys! I don't mean as a competition. Just like penel said it's too encourage each other to read. So what I mean is that, seeing people already read more than 1 book a month serves as a reminder for me so my joining the club actually helps me to get out of my reading slump.

About manga, I usually read online. And saying too bad it doesn't count is just because I am never in a slump for manga so it doesn't serve my purpose to read books outside manga so I ban it for myself. Just last month I finished 3 mangas but I didn't finish the book that I put in February pick. that's a shame for me.

I just made a plan now for the whole year, which book I'm going to read. I hope I can do it.

Fighting!

No, no, No don't worry I don't feel any pressure at all and I'm still enjoying pages that I read even though I haven't finish the book. 

I'm really impressed by your determination and planning! You can do this!!!

Can I even get some recommendations for thriller/crime/mystery books?

Caspleo:

Some of my fave authors of these genres are Ann Cleeves, Ian Rankin, Jo Nesbo, Henning Mankell, Michael Connelly, to name a few. I enjoyed all of their books I've read so far, so whichever you pick I'm sure you'll find it interesting :) 

penel:

Some of my fave authors of these genres are Ann Cleeves, Ian Rankin, Jo Nesbo, Henning Mankell, Michael Connelly, to name a few. I enjoyed all of their books I've read so far, so whichever you pick I'm sure you'll find it interesting :) 

Thanks! For recommending^^

Caspleo:

Verity

Kapetria:

Verity

Thanks for the recommendation :)

Wandering_Queen:

indeed, manga is a book. webtoon is an ebook. Manga is available in the library and book stores so it is no doubt a book. But for this club, I won't listed manga.

So you're librarian, that's one of a job that I want to do and suited me because I also like arranging the books, not just reading them. 

penel:

I'm really impressed by your determination and planning! You can do this!!!

Thank you! I hope I can do it. Get out of my slump, here we go! ^-^

Caspleo:

Louise Penny - her Armand Gamache series is wonderful! I like the series so much; I've started it from scratch twice and I've been considering a third time to catch up on the last three books, but all my other unread books are giving me the stink-eye :D

LucianYaz:

Louise Penny - her Armand Gamache series is wonderful! I like the series so much; I've started it from scratch twice and I've been considering a third time to catch up on the last three books, but all my other unread books are giving me the stink-eye :D

Thanks for recommending will add them to my cart :) Wait...is it in Spanish? 

Caspleo:

Thanks for recommending will add them to my cart :) Wait...is it in Spanish? 

I’m not certain but her Wikipedia page says her books have been published in 23 languages; a major language like Spanish should be one of them.