PRABAMIXTUMMA wrote: I have never visited so please take my opinion with a grain of salt (possibly an entire salt slab, lol), but from what i've seen, in Japan there's "a way" of doing things and divergence from that way isn't really appreciated, particularly in less metropolitan areas. However, as with any population, this is a generalization and societies are constantly in flux.

In an attempt to steer the convo back to the op, for those of you who visit Japan often or lived there for a while, what has your experience been?

lol... i wanna know as well what others have to say about this..
what i can share is my mother in law's experience when she went there to visit my brother in law. she's a country girl and doesn't like busy cities or crowds, and gets lost really easily even in her hometown lol. but she said that even though there are soooo many people, even at a busy crosswalk like shibuya, everyone gives you your space. people don't bump into you or brush shoulders with you etc when passing, everyone is very respectful of other people's personal space. she said she didn't feel crowded at all. one of her friends that went with her had a harder time, she's quite heavy and had a hard time getting through the tiny aisles in stores, plus people stared at her because there's not much obesity in Japan, so being a gaijin and heavy she stood out like a sore thumb. she didn't enjoy the trip much but my mother in law loved it and wants to go back
Too bad there isn't a "Yes" or a "Yes, I've been there once or twice" in the poll. >_>;

Went there for about 10 days back in the summer of '08. It was a student exchange trip. Had to go through an application-short essay-interview process. I guess I was persuasive and open enough xD

Stayed in a city in Aichi. The city's about an hour away from Nagoya. Not willing to share the specific city. I did a homestay there for about five days. It was nice since you get a glimpse of life in a Japanese family and staying in a Japanese house.
I also stayed and went sightseeing in Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka.
Yes, I visited Nara Park. THE DEERS. They attacked me :D
And Todaiji temple. Yes, the BIG BUDDHA. xD
lets tour to FUkishima : ))
no....but i really want to go in japan
I want to go on Japan, someday!!!! JAPAN wait for me :D
Going to Japan right now is a bit risky because of the Tohoku earthquake. You guys, please donate to the earthquake relief. I have donated already. You should too.
I went last october too :) ! It was my dream and one day I dont why I played to win a trip in Japan with Lipton's tea ^^ ! And a few months after, I had totally forgotten about it, I had a mail saying I won... TRUE STOR ^^ !
So i've been to Tokyo, Nikko, Nara, Kyoto, Koyasan, Osaka for two weeks with a friend for free =)
omg coolest story ever Emma, hehe
wow Emma, I need to win a contest like that! or, you know, the lottery :D
Has anyone here ever taught in Japan?
estelyte_04 wrote: I went last october too :) ! It was my dream and one day I dont why I played to win a trip in Japan with Lipton's tea ^^ ! And a few months after, I had totally forgotten about it, I had a mail saying I won... TRUE STOR ^^ !
So i've been to Tokyo, Nikko, Nara, Kyoto, Koyasan, Osaka for two weeks with a friend for free =)

That is amazing!
Yes I went to stay with my friend in Osaka (she was teaching English out there) it is an amazing place & the people & culture have to be seen to be believed lol. My stay in Japan was a little brief as we were on our way to other destinations (Bali & Australia) & neither of us could blag any more time off work! I would love to go back & explore properly.
Last year I left flight bookings to my mother and requested Japan for a week on the return flight from England in October. My sister and her partner got Japan, I somehow ended up with my brother and his family in LA for the week. It was great, but I am still upset I missed out on Japan. In the process of trying to save up to go (once I pay Mum back for the flights last year). *sigh* but now I want to go to Korea too.