I'm slowly learning with my busy schedule, But I do listen to talktomeinkorean a lot though. I would love to try Rosetta Stone if I ever have the extra cash. I can say a few phrases thanks to dramas and music, and I can recognize the alphabet (for the most part at least) I've noticed recently that I've actually been reading idols names and groups in Korean when going through my tags on last.fm for awhile now, I do miss a few here in there. Can't wait until I can read and write full sentences. I do have a few apps on my phone to help too, but I just have the free versions, I am thinking of buying the pro version of one of them.
shallamar wrote: I'm slowly learning with my busy schedule, But I do listen to talktomeinkorean a lot though. I would love to try Rosetta Stone if I ever have the extra cash. I can say a few phrases thanks to dramas and music, and I can recognize the alphabet (for the most part at least) I've noticed recently that I've actually been reading idols names and groups in Korean when going through my tags on last.fm for awhile now, I do miss a few here in there. Can't wait until I can read and write full sentences. I do have a few apps on my phone to help too, but I just have the free versions, I am thinking of buying the pro version of one of them.

the reviews of rosetta stone tend to be pretty bad. the only websites i've come across that give it a good review also contain links to purchase it or stress that the program will only teach you the basics. i have looked into many language learning programs and i have found that through a combo of various free or very cheap online resources you're actually better off than you would be sinking hundreds of dollars into a program.
i learn through free apps on my ipad, the dramas help and i have an S. korean unnie. The free apps actually help a lot
i guess this doesn't count, but if i hear a phrase/word in dramas, i'll look them up online - usually i'll find them :D but as in languages i'm learning, i'm learning japanese (: i took it last semester, i'm going to take the second course this upcoming spring semester, but it's mostly for fun ;) it's easier than Korean, though i truly wish i had the courage to jump into Korean...but it's just really hard so i'll hold back for now, i've got other classes i have to focus on first
Yes, I'm learning Korean. But rarely takes lessons since I'm bz with school. Even if I'll have my free time, most of time I use them wwtching dramas ^^ I'm also from TTMIK. I started reading from their lessons January 2010. I stopped at level 3. I'm now pressured, I want to catch up with the lessons but I don't have time.. :(( Maybe I'll continue this course summer next year.
Nana87 wrote: Me :) i bought Rosetta Stone. Hopefully it works lol

I wanted one but I don't have the funds.. :(
train wrote: well i do like to learn Korean with my free time, that mean not every day,
and i self learning so i may need until the end of this year :)

It will deend on the resources you have too. It would be better to have a native speaker with you. Make friends with Korean and ask them to help you out in learning Korean.. maybe.. actually I was about to do this but I'm just lazy. :))
But you can easily do that especially in facebook i guess. ;)
4winkay wrote: will enroll korean language this coming june...

Which school? How much does it cost?
Doremeduck wrote: I've found that it's easier to learn Korean if you watch dramas without subs, and just listen to what they're saying. I was surprised by how much I've actually learned. I could comprehend almost 40% of all that was said, and I've only been learning for a few months.

Wow that's great!
Doremeduck wrote: I just started a new way of studying Korean. I've been making flashcards so I could learn the words, but I decided instead of having one side in Korean and the other side in English that one side is in Korean and the other a picture of the item or action, so I could associate the Korean word to the item or action instead of to the word in my native language. It seems to help, because that's how toddlers learn, they associate the word with the action or item, not the same word in another language. I've been learning quicker that way!!

I'm going to try that method soon. It would be fun making flashcards too. :)
muanyata wrote: Classes are overrated. Learn the writing script (for Korean you can do this in a week easily), after that it's time to start learning simple sentences (don't memorize words, instead memorize sentences). And LISTEN to as much Korean as you possibly can. Learning a language is easy, the hard part is not giving up. If you surrounded yourself with Korean everyday, time will do the rest. You need to find material that you think is fun and interesting, the moment it becomes boring or difficult you will quit.

For learning material try to use native material, anything made for foreigners learning a language sucks (anyone who has taught ESL knows this).

It's not easy finding learning material for Korean, but it's out there. Also, don't make excuses for yourself, either learn it or don't waste your time. It will never be the right time, you're always too old or too young or too busy or too poor or too rich or too fat or too ugly so just do it anyway.

The very first thing I did was learning Hangul which was pretty easy(than japanese' hiragana and katakana which is also the reason why I continue Korean and left Japanese)
Everything in my playlist are Korean. They are OST from dramas i've watched and there are a few kpop (note a few only, I'm not a big fan of kpop). I listen to them as soon as I turn on my computer. I also have some audio files from podcasts from TTMIK.
Actually I already prepared a lot of reference materials. It is just the time that I don't have.
MinamiNiji wrote: Me!Me!Me! No special training though.I learnt the alphabet all by myself I can understand read and write pretty well but talking is hard :D

Same here. Read and write hangul. That's all I know and some basic phrases and words..
PrettyBrown_Eyes wrote: think movitation is key to learning anything :)
I keep telling myself I'll start tomorrow I'll start tomorrow but I have just no motivation :(

but I'm definitely going to start tomorrow.....

Yes, motivation, that's we need...
Btw, how did it work? Were you able to do something productive? :)
tlkdrama2me wrote: I just recently started trying to learn the language. Like many others have suggested .. learn Hangeul (Korean alphabet) first it makes it so much easier when you are trying to pronounce words. And it wasn't as difficult as I thought it'd be! I used "Korean Letters", which is an app available for free through iTunes.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/sweetandtasty?feature=watch. She features a Korean word (ex: "I'm sorry" & the different ways to say it) or topic (ex: Korean foods or articles of clothing) every week. Her videos are well done and very entertaining.

TalkToMeInKorean.com is what I mainly use. Their podcasts and corresponding PDF notes have helped me a lot. I sometimes listen to their lessons on my commute to and from work. The way they explain things is very easy to understand AND its free!

My family and I ate at a Korean restaurant last week and I was very proud to be able to order my meal in Korean :)

I really enjoy Prof. Oh videos and also the other 3 characters she portrays. I really like her. I've seen a few KWOW episodes and I enjoy watching them ^^
I Use everything around me. I have Rossetta Stone...use it twice a month because it's not that helpful. Its actually hard. I would only use RS on an intermediate level, not recommended for beginners. I go on quizlet.com for flashcards. Downloaded the Talk To Me In Korean app from the play store along with other free Hangul apps. I ordered lesson 1 from TTMIK. it was $15 I think.

First step in learning korean is to learn how to read and write Hangul!
I learned from this site in a day
http://www.learnlangs.com/RWP/Korean/Korean%20-%20Lesson%201.htm