devitto wrote: I got a reply from one of the schools I applied to that they have a class starting NEXT WEEK!

I sent my application and now I hope they accept me. That would be amazing. :D

I'M IN! I'M IN, I'M IN!!! *o*

First class is tomorrow. Wow. Oh my God. I'm going to be the most motivated student they ever had. xD
So now you can get used to me spamming this thread. :P Had my first lesson today. Unfortunately I didn't learn anything new. It's a beginners' class and nearly all the others don't know anything. Now we'll be learning to write and read Hangeul first (which I already pretty much perfected ;D) and the basic greetings and introductions and stuff (which I know perfectly well from drama-watching). I hope the pace won't stay this slow, so I can learn new things soon! We even get homework. I love it. :)
devitto wrote: That is, if you actually listen. If you just read the subs you don't learn anything. :D

If you're an absolute beginner, then subtitles are more of a hindrance than a help when it comes to learning Korean. However, at a certain level, the subtitles are actually useful when it comes to seeing how vocabulary is used naturally, how certain sentences are structured, and slang that you wouldn't be taught in books or formal classes. I would say that I'm a low intermediate speaker of Korean, and I've found subtitles to be useful in that way. What I usually do is, I'll watch the first 30 minutes of a drama raw, and then I'll rewatch the episode from the start with subtitles. This way I can gauge how well I understood what was going on (I'm not checking to see if I understand every word, just the general context) and I can piece together what I missed.
boredandtwitchy wrote: If you're an absolute beginner, then subtitles are more of a hindrance than a help when it comes to learning Korean. However, at a certain level, the subtitles are actually useful when it comes to seeing how vocabulary is used naturally, how certain sentences are structured, and slang that you wouldn't be taught in books or formal classes. I would say that I'm a low intermediate speaker of Korean, and I've found subtitles to be useful in that way. What I usually do is, I'll watch the first 30 minutes of a drama raw, and then I'll rewatch the episode from the start with subtitles. This way I can gauge how well I understood what was going on (I'm not checking to see if I understand every word, just the general context) and I can piece together what I missed.

That's what I did with Japanese back when I wanted to learn it. I watched Dramas raw, then watched them again when they were subbed. It helped a lot. :)
devitto wrote: That's what I did with Japanese back when I wanted to learn it. I watched Dramas raw, then watched them again when they were subbed. It helped a lot. :)

If you want a good Korean drama to do the same with, I recommend Shut Up Family. It's a daily sitcom that aired last year, and each episode is about 30 minutes. I find that if I concentrate on listening to Korean for longer than 30 minutes, my brain starts to melt out of my ears. Shut Up Family is pretty funny, and the Korean is pretty good for mid to high beginners I think! ^^
I really want to learn Hangul :) I am trying to... I started watching Lets speak Korean by Arirang TV channel in Youtube :)
kranju wrote: I really want to learn Hangul :) I am trying to... I started watching Lets speak Korean by Arirang TV channel in Youtube :)

Maybe this helps. I learned it this way, just try to memorize it and it's done. Shouldn't take more than an hour. :)

Hangeul 1

Hangeul 2
Find someone to speak korean with. I got a friend that can't speak english, only korean.. it helped me alot to learn new words and sentencse since it was the only way to have a conversation (and it's fun ^^)
I just started about 3 weeks ago and I'm using youtube and book I downloaded..Now I'm learning Hangul and it's hard :D
My last lesson was all about Hangeul again. I hope we'll be done with that next week so I can finally learn something. I'm getting pretty good at understanding the teacher's really, really bad German, though. xD My teacher is all for watching dramas by the way! If possible, always subbed first and then raw. That way, one understands the episode without having to read the subs so one can really concentrate on the language and pick it up quickly. :)
I have began Korean in the beginning of this year and then stopped and started again, I forget what I learned LOOL! but ya I'm starting too remember, my problem is just reading and writing
kingdom1389 wrote: I have began Korean in the beginning of this year and then stopped and started again, I forget what I learned LOOL!
but ya I'm starting too remember, my problem is just reading and writing

My problem is I can't make a sentence :( I already memorized the letteres, but I don't know how to write a sentence .__.
I think learning correct pronunciation is the most difficult thing for me in Korean. Japanese is much easier in that aspect.
I am a starter on TMIK
Heey! :) I'm learning with TTMIK, so grammar is not a big problem but... Where can I find Vocabulary? I found some website but some native speakers told they were wrong! Which vocabulary-sites do you use?