Ceki - I can personally attest to the stench in NY city.  :(

I visited there about 25-30 years ago, and there are only a few things I vividly remember:

* There were hordes upon hordes of people (it was Memorial Day weekend).  I hate crowds with a passion, so it was a nightmare for me, but I had no say in the matter because it was a "family vacation" and I had to go.

* There were yellow cabs everywhere.

* The city itself was smelly, and also filthy (soot from all the vehicles, I'm assuming).

* The subways absolutely reeked of urine...and other things I don't even want to think about.
A friend of mine lives there (well, an ex-friend let's say), and when I asked him what were his impressions of the city, both good and bad, for the latter he only said "the stench". It's terrible in the winter but even worse in the summer. 
As for me, that wouldn't stop me from going there if I had a chance, but I think it's good to be aware of these things that can shock you.

@linus that's true, you can't help but be influenced even if you know it's false advertising haha.  I admit I read Manga and watch a nome and it makes me wanna go to Japan even though I know it's not at all the way it's described.  Or it makes me curious, although largely it's about the food lol.  Haha.  But the smart part of the brain has my back and makes sure I know it's not gonna be like in a nome and manga.  Haha 
If you're going to visit SK just for its entertainment industry you are up for a huge disappointment. But that's okay, it is a good wake-up call for some people. 

You'll have a great time if you actually go as a traveller. Don't make the entertainment industry as your priority. It is just a small part of a big country. If that's the only thing you care about I advise you not to go so you can continue living in your bubble, dreaming about cute Kpop idols, coffeeshops and wearing couple shirts with a Korean guy or girl. 

I actually had a great time there and I can't wait to go back. But then again, I'm someone that is barely interested in Kpop and loves traveling and exploring the world. 
Asian dramas are shot (mostly) in their respective countries and I think some places are just so breathtakingly beautiful that they're totally worth the visit. It's always a good idea to research before going somewhere, but please don't dictate to others what constitutes as an acceptable reason to visit a place. People go places for all kinds of reasons. Also, as humans we are wired to have high expectations of things anyway.

On another note, it's good to know about that *stench. I hope it's not as bad as some of you are claiming---I can't stand odours! >_
I think the difference why you at least don't get so disappointed by Japan, is that everyone at least is really friendly and helpful, and everything is clean and nice. By the way yes I am female!

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone. 
@MrBanana  that is not true, it's just a generalization... not all Japanese (and Korean) restaurants  accept white people...there are pics on the net that show that.

@sunah. nobody is dictating anything, just stating our opinions.
Here are the examples:

www.citylab.com/amp/article/473220/

http://www.koreaobserver.com/korean-only-bar-in-it...

10904845_10155101270885385_.jpg?zoom=3&f

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/04/16/national/japanese-only-sign-sparks-bigotry-debate/#.WcccFqCxXqA
nakano_maid_sign02.jpg

http://wordpress.tokyotimes.org/japans-lack-of-fondness-for-foreigners/

Wow, this thread started today and it's already popping ;)

I think that we are a bit to hung up on the fact that MrBanana mentioned going to Korea because of the dramas and Kpop. I don't think that she meant that she expected to get 'the drama treatment' there. She was just probably surprised that Korea was that different from what could have been expected.

I am mildly annoyed by the Japanese posters above (that Ceki showed us) even though I know that people have the right to be rude if they want to be ;) I personally have to say that  even though I tried not to be influenced by how people viewed foreigners and tourists in the places I went to, I was sometimes affected by that. There were places that I liked more because I was treated like I was welcomed and some places that I really liked to visit, but wouldn't really feel comfortable staying in longer. So there is that. There are also cultural differences that not everyone understand or likes. I could totally understand that someone would not have a good time while travelling if they didn't meet the right people, especially if they traveled alone.

Their bars, their countries, their rules. 

Life and travelling is what you make of it. If you dwell on negatives you wont even see or experience the positives. I have visited many countries (including South Korea 3 times) and in my experience there is good and bad everywhere. Have an open mind and friendly attitude and go wherever the wind blows you :D 
I know about the signs with "no foreigners allowed", they exist in both Japan and Korea. But what I have learnt about them (I have actually talked to Japanese people about it), is that they put them up because the staff don't know any other language than their own. So to avoid problems, they use them. Those are not "racist-attacks", from what I have learnt. But it wouldn't surprise me if a few places actually do use the signs to avoid Chinese customers, who especially in Japan are known to be extremely noisy and troublesome.

I now realized that I f*cked up big when I mentioned Kpop, dramas etc, looks like most people misunderstand it. I just meant that we all who watch Korean dramas might get the wrong impression of the country as they show off everything as everyone is so kind and everything is so clean and high-tech etc, because I did not expect to be reminded of poor areas in Vietnam when I went there. And the people came off as really cold, unfriendly, depressed and angry overall.

When you search on internet about rudeness in Korea there are many people who have experienced the same. You will see everyone writing the same things I wrote in my opening topic. 

As Korea just is getting more and more popular, I think this will be a big topic in the future. 
One of my dreams is to run into Naksken in Seoul, go have soju & chicken feet, then sing karaoke until sunrise.

I can't sing at all. She may be bitterly disappointed in meeting me, but we'll have had the experience & that's what counts.

So, MrBanana, I raise my non-existent soju bottle to you for going and having the experience!
Concerning Asia, I've been in Korea (Seoul, Busan, Seroksan), in Japan(Tokyo, Kyoto, Kanasawa, Miyajima,Nagasaki, Osaka, Ube, Hakata....the list is long) and in Taiwan (mostly Taipei) and must say I don't have the same opinion :

- Concerning Seoul (a city I really like) I was there 3 times (about a week each time) and if it's less "clean" than most of Japan it's not that stinky. It's like everywhere...yes garbage stinks ! lol But honestly Paris stinks more if you want to compare to another country. (I'm french so I guess I can say it^^). The interesting thing for me about Seoul is that there's area that are very modern and "high tech" and other area that are old fashioned. It's the mix that made it cool (for me). I've never been in these countries but when you say "poor South East Asian country, like Vietnam or Thailand" I felt offended...not to mention that there's poorer south east Asian countries...Don't ever go in Taiwan if you don't like motorcycle...there it's still the trend (it was awesome yet a little not Eco-friendly to see it). South Korea and Japan are two different countries so it's kind of normal that they're different. But to say that South Korea is like "to be more of a third world-country" is going too far.. I don't know where you come from but if South Korea is a third world-country...France is still in middle age then !

- There are tones of thing to do in Seoul for tourist ... of course it depends of what you consider fun...I went to several aquarium, to the grévin museum, trickeye museum, lotte world (it needs more than a weekend) ....the list is really long...also you can enjoy a walk in Cheonggyecheon stream, the 24h market, Dongdaemun Market or also shopping complex. You can also take part in cooking class, pottery class...honestly, Seoul is big and have lots of fun things to do.

- Most likely the people that didn't help you didn't speak in english...maybe some didn't want to help to..but to say they were cursing you..it's a bit too much...

- Korean like every other people in the world react on how you are with them...of course some people are rude but try to go in a Paris Café and you'll know the definition of rude people. It's everywhere the same some people are nice some other not. But as I read your post I felt that you were thinking that it's mandatory to be kind, smiling and willing to bow to you if you're paying for it. Sorry but it's not. People working in Seven Eleven or CU don't have huge salary and often work long hours...if they were pointing you to a seat it's maybe because they didn't know how to say you can sit there in english or were simply busy taking care of other customer, simply doing their job on a busy time...

As I already said people react on how you are with them...a smile, a thank you, a welcome is not something you can buy...you said you were in 50 different country...I'm really curious to know which country...because you sound very close minded and it's rarely the case for someone who traveled a lot...

I don't think you point of you is "from a completely neutral standpoint" cause you seemed to have preconceived ideas about lots of things...

I'm sorry for the long post...but your original post was very rude and also filled with negatives things so I had the urge to respond to every point of it...

@six  hahaha! shucks *blushes*
How about i let you know when i'm going next, probably not til next year at this rate, I've done so much travelling since last december i feel like i need to put down roots for a while.  Also, where the heck have you been?  It's nice to see you on the forum again. (I can't sing either, but let's hit the norebang)

@mamirabelle, I agree with everything you said.