@Ceki, I still don't understand why going to Korea because of dramas and Kpop would be "the worst reason". You can understand that dramas are dramas yet still be intrigued to check things for yourself. I have never had any interest in visiting Korea because my list of travel destinations was already long enough, but I became really interested in visiting it after discovering Kdramas. I traveled extensively in my life and I had many positive and not so positive experiences. I went to places for a variety of reasons: food, art, landscapes, people, because of books that I read, because of what I heard, because of recommendations of others, because I wanted to practice the language I was learning, because of good prices etc. Korea moved to the top of my list as a place to travel to. I see no reason why me wanting to go there because of my fascination with the dramas would be "the worst one".
^ because dramas and Kpop are not realistic, just like anime is not realistic and far from the reality in Japan. There's nothing wrong being fascinated by these things, but as we can see in the first post, people set their expectations according to what they see in dramas and Kpop, and reality is far from that.

@Katelynn Brooks now I wanna know what's the state you're talking about XD
@Linus I totally agree with you.  Also i think anything that makes anyone want to get out of their bubble is a brilliant thing and i also think that travel is literally the best thing you do with time and money.  However, if you went to the US based on TV you would spend your time being worried about murder and serial killers.  If you went to the UK based on TV you should expect to be surrounded by ridiculous jokesters and miraculous adventures all the time.  I just don't think that travel to a place because you love the media of that country is enough.   the first time i went to korea i went because i love K-drama, but once i got there i did not expect to be in a K-drama.  I DID stay in hongdae because that's where the music is, and i still stay there  when i go, but i don't expect to see Jang Keun Suk in his Mary Stayed Out All Night outfits walking the alleys.  

I think a love of culture of a place should be enough to get you there.  and it's a GOOD reason to go.  but once you land, you should throw everything away and just experience the world around you with wonder.

My bestest friend in Seoul, I met because we had a furious argument when i checked into the guest house, because we got over it, and continued communication, i have loads of friends in Korea and so, it's always the most fun place i visit.
I know people who went to Japan because they loooved anime and Jpop and of course they were disappointed when they realized that there is more to Japan than these things. I think it is childish and immature to travel only because you are a fan of one aspect of that country's entertainment; especially because people who do this also believe that they will experience the life of that city just like the characters in dramas and films. Which is... you know...
@ceki.  I live in Washington state, and there are parts of it that are fairy tale like.  But only for like a weekend of camping or summer on a lake.  And there's been a few places I've seen used in fiction here and they are described very creatively and not accurately haha.   When describing alace in fiction you don't tell the truth so it's ridiculous to want to go to a place based on fiction.  It's not true.  
Note: I only spent 1 week in Korea (in Seoul & Gyeongju).
My experience was actually the opposite. I felt like the people were warm and friendly. In my week there, I had a random hiking club on the street take me hiking, share their food and tea with me, and so much more. On the train, I had countless people asking me where I was from and truly offering to help. So Korea definitely has a special place in my heart.
 But as someone who's been to 27 countries, many of them alone, I think that it's simply a matter of 'your mileage may vary'. Each person's unique personality, chance, and expectations will lead them to having a great time, or having a terrible experience. Sure, some countries may increase your chance of having a great time, but in the end, you could be in the middle of the country with the most 'fun things to do' and still have a terrible time. 
@Katelynn,
Olympic National Park is AMAZING! 
The first time I visited the Hoh Rainforest, I was absolutely blown away. 
@Ceki

...you know. EXACTLY!

... @MrBanana

you are not local, your life there will not be like in a drama firstly because no drama life from any country is like actual life, secondly because you don't speak the language.  I've lived in cambodia on and off for 5 years.  I have 3 hours of lessons every week. I can go shopping, ask questions, give directions and have conversations, but i can't make a joke, or tell a long story.

expecting to go to any country and just have an awesome time when you know most peeps don't  speak your language is misguided at best.

Also, @MrBanana I'm interested.  was the experience you had in restaurants and cafes really rude or just indifferent.  I lived in the US,  most of the outside world finds the super friendly service there false and disconcerting.  did you tip?  any time i've tipped in korea the staff have chased me down the street to give my "change" back.

your country is exceptional when it comes to false nonsense in the restaurant, because the server needs tips to live, most countries pay a living wage so servitude and friendliness for friendliness sake is not required  (I know this because i went to high school in the US)
@Skye-n-rain

I think Washington has some of the most beautiful places in the country haha.  I so agree.  And where I live is beautiful, just not the town haha.  I love that part of the state although is live on the northeast side.  
Yeah, I completely agree that it depends not only on a person's personality and expectations but also luck. For example, I had a great time in the Czech Republic while my friend got robbed xD Not funny but still...

I'm just saying that traveling somewhere because you are a fan of that country's fiction can lead you to a lot of trouble if that is the sole reason.

However, Mr Banana did say that she was aware "that a country's entertainment industry never can represent reality" but I wish she would tell us more - did she do a research on Seoul, did she know exactly what she wants to visit and see?
so 2 things

s/he says s/he's not hating on seoul, but literally the only good thing they mention is hearing k-pop in an area they were in.

why is everyone assuming @MrBanana is a woman.  the tag is MrBanana or do you all know something I don't
Naksken - The gender on MrBanana's profile is listed as female.
The gender on MrBanana's profile is set as "female". 

I'd also like to point out that it depends on where she comes from. If she has never been in a huge city like that before, of course she would be shocked. I heard that the stench in NY and Shanghai is unbearable.
@Ceki,
Been to both NY and Shanghai, and it wasn't too bad. In fact, I don't remember anything noticeable about the stench there or anywhere else for that matter.
I am conflicted about the topic of travelling. On the one hand, I think that it's good to research a bit about the place beforehand, on the other hand it sometimes taints the experiences that could have been different had the person not been prepared for it. For example, I regret searching for the pictures of the Grand Canyon before going to see the said canyon. I didn't know anything about the Monument Valley before I went there and I was literally blown away by what I saw. With the Grand Canyon, I kind of knew what I'm going to see and the element of surprise went away. 

@ Naksen, Although I agree that people should not base their opinions of the place based on their representations in movies (duh! that should be obvious), I think we all are very much influenced by them whether we want it or not. We spend hours getting certain images in our heads and we can't simply block them. So even if we should throw everything we think we know about a place from a movie after getting there, I don't believe it is always easy or even possible. When it comes to not speaking the language... I don't think it's always a necessary condition to have a good time to be honest. 

I agree with you, @ Ceki, that travelling experiences are a mixture of weather, expectations, circumstances, travel companions, food, luck and other things. Two people can go to the same place because of a movie (The Sound of Music, anyone?) and have very different experiences.