I understand that everyone has had different experiences regarding being a tourist in Korea, but I really think it is not okay to disregard MrBanana's opinion and tell her that she was wrong and that those people weren't actually rude to her. Because they probably were otherwise she wouldn't feel like that. And that's okay. She wasn't lucky but if she decides to visit Korea again that might change.
i don't think MrBanana was rude because of her original opinion.  sounds like she had a crap time, that's unfortunate.  I had an awful time in Japan, it really surprised me.  But when MrBanana assumed that the reason that she had a crap time was because she was white, she was rude.
Well, I wanna go to Korea because of kdrama and kpop... And drink Soju and eat kimchi... And of course marry Hyunsik... hah.

I'm glad i read this tread, because i need to get out of my little kpop/kdrama bubble, as you can see in my comment over. I do think Korea is a beautiful country, and i hope one day i can travel there and have the time of my life. (And hopefully visit Japan when i'm first "over there" as well) 

So, i do actually like your opinion, because if I do travel, i need a bit more realistic meeting with Korea. But of course i hope it will be as fantastic as i picture it. 

Thank-you for sharing about your trip. I was planning to visit SK next year after having visited Tokyo. But I've been hesitant because of other reviews that the people there were not as friendly to tourists who may have questions and in general, like you have described. I have been researching about the cultural differences to expect. About the restaurants, I did watch some videos on youtube where it was explained that you basically have to yell for service, not like in western countries where a waiter or waitress will initiate eye contact or be waved over when you are ready to order. I don't know if I could yell Yahhhh! across a restaurant but in the cultural aspect I can see that is how it is different.  I am still uncertain about saving money for an SK trip just for the sake of fandom. Or if I should visit Japan again instead.

HappySqueak:

Thank-you for sharing about your trip. I was planning to visit SK next year after having visited Tokyo. But I've been hesitant because of other reviews that the people there were not as friendly to tourists who may have questions and in general, like you have described. I have been researching about the cultural differences to expect. About the restaurants, I did watch some videos on youtube where it was explained that you basically have to yell for service, not like in western countries where a waiter or waitress will initiate eye contact or be waved over when you are ready to order. I don't know if I could yell Yahhhh! across a restaurant but in the cultural aspect I can see that is how it is different.  I am still uncertain about saving money for an SK trip just for the sake of fandom. Or if I should visit Japan again instead.

Nooo! You should go! I personally loved it. 

Skye-N-Rain:

Nooo! You should go! I personally loved it. 

I will keep it in mind for sure, I know I wouldn't want to visit a big city like Seoul, but probably a smaller coastal town.

@MrBanana - how did you find the air quality during your stay?

I went to Seoul last year in May for 2½ weeks and it was the best time of my life. I felt more home than I feel at my home country. The people were sooo nice and helpful. I obviously went with the mindset "no one is going to be as good looking as the idols and actors" and I was so wrong ! There were so many pretty people and Korean people are so stylish ! Clothes suits them better than western body type imo. And of course the ahjummas and ahjussis were funny to see IRL. What I really was surprised about is that in a country that centers around plastic surgery and having a perfect skin - they didn't really cover pimples or any imperfections. They just seemed to be fine with their skin and it made me feel good about my skin as well. I mean here in Finland I do my makeup every time I go out somewhere where I could see people I know.

You can read more about my experiences from my blog: http://www.jennahoo.com/search/label/Korea%20Trip%202016

And one more thing to add ! While I was in Korea - yes the air was dirty - I felt so much better ! I had no headaches and it was sooo easy to breathe well. Maybe it's because the climate is humid compared to Finland. Here in Finland I'm coughing all the time and have headaches all the time because of pollen and whatnot. 

Read a little bit through the thread and on the rude experiences some may experienced in Seoul. From just some observations I've made I feel like a lot of cities in general tend to have a lot of people who are just fed up with tourists. Are all people like this? No, of course not. Nor is it okay to treat someone badly. But as someone who grew up in a very large city. You get really tired of people throwing trash around and being loud when you just want to enjoy your normal routine. Now as an adult and working in my city. There has been times when I felt like going off on someone. Because there is only so much crap one can take. However for my joke like many have to deal with. Is suck it up and deal with it. Could be the same for many people working jobs in Seoul especially around tourists. It's probably not a personal thing. Anyways that's just my two cents. 

I had the same bad experience with convenience store staff. But there are quite a bit of areas of interest in Seoul in my opinion. I spent 7 days there and there was still a bunch of places I didn't get to go.

I will say, the language barrier is the biggest problem with visiting. I found that english proficiency was really lousy in Seoul. A confident "anyoghaseo" and "Kamsahamneedah!" as you enter and leave shops and restaurants really helps a lot. (hello, thank you). 

My experience with Korea  was the more Korean that I knew, the better the experience.   I've been to Korea every year since  2014. When you compare customer services to places like Thailand and Japan,  Korea is no competition.  

When it comes to asking for help on the street. I used to get the wave a lot, because of two reason. I spoke  English and I spoke it fast. A lot of people don't realize how fast they speak their native language to a non-native speaker.  My second time going to Korea, I learn direction vocabulary and used to ask in English first. When I got the waved, I would attempt to say it in Korean. As soon as I said it in Korean, I was given help every time. A few occasions they even walked with me to where I needed to go.  

I love Korea, but like every country their are pros and cons. The image the dramas portrayed was destroyed as soon as I exited the subway and was greeted wit the scent they call the "smell of Korea".

I like your honest opinion about Korea!

yeah. its it obvious. many of the people on MDL live under a rock and only watch Kdrama from their couches. they have never been around and live in their fantasy world without the slightest understanding of korean culture .

your post is extremely accurate.

japan is the land of god. 

and korea... land of crap. 

but dont get me wrong. its still far superior to real third world countries like usa or canada. 

seoul is still far better than a big american city and if u compare the outskirts to the praries of canada or backwater redneck areas of usa... yeah. korea is still better. lol. 

Interesting discussion. I have a cousin who lives in Seoul since her husband is a expat chef at a hotel but I’ve never asked her about her experience there.

As to New York City, I live in Long Island and work in New York City. I can say that it’s a very big city and have it’s very posh areas and it’s not too clean areas. I work in Midtown Manhattan East and I don’t walk around the streets smelling stinky smell. There are even many restaurants that have sidewalk dining in the summer and I hardly imagine they would do that in a smelly atmosphere. In fact, Grand Central workers go around everyday along the streets cleaning up any trash and keeping the area clean. Also, many doormen and building workers maintain the cleanliness outside the buildings by washing down the sidewalks every single morning. Of course, I’ve also been in areas like downtown where there aren’t building owners or store owners maintaining the cleanliness of the city. However, to say that NYC smell stink, is not true generally. I’ve been uptown, downtown, across town, etc and most time any foul smell I come across are from any garbage left outside food places for the garbage truck to pick up or where homeless people or others urinate.

bannie:

japan is the land of god. 

and korea... land of crap. 

Please tell me you are being sarcastic. 

Would definitely go to Japan to visit at any given chance but would not repeat the mistake of trying to live there ever again. It's not for everyone.

On the actual topic, isn't the old streets more fun? They tell so much more stories! Not many times I am thankful for studying architecture but traveling is where it gets actually handy, guranteed not a single boring minute. Seoul has been lucky to keep most of it's old layout intact as it was spared from the heavy bombing during the WW2 but Tokyo wasn't that lucky. Couple it with the frequent earthquakes, no much old architecture left in Tokyo apart from Yanaka-Nezu-Sendagi trio. Man I miss Tokyo, should've went there during the day ;)

So the old alley description actually makes me want to go to Seoul more. Hopefully would make it one day.