Izyda:

Yes, Dark Hole tricked everyone. Therefore, Sang Un was probably killed by the people of the village. But I still can't understand what kind of bonds Sang Un, Hwal and Dark Hole have, because there are probably some. If he is not their child then who? Why is he touching their things with such longing and he smelling them (he only did this with the things of Sang Un and Hwal), is it like he has lost his family members and the smell of their clothes would remind him of them? Or maybe to become a Bulgasal you have to be born one? It still bothers me.

What if all three of them were close friends until something horrible happened, maybe when Dark hole killed his brother? *cries*

I didn't write it, but I really like this theory, and in particular the rationale behind Dark Hole. Copied from: https://www.dramabeans.com/2022/01/bulgasal-immortal-souls-episodes-9-10-open-thread/.                          
"We slowed down a lot this week as we dove deeper into the folds of Eul-tae's lives and motivation. I guess I didn't really expect this to be about Eul-tae's very personal grudge. (I pegged him as a more opportunistic type, though this didn't remove the possibility of him being both.) I like to think that I can differentiate between Eul-tae's mock concern and his more genuine emotion. And yet, I can't really understand what emotion that ruled him whenever he interacted with Hwal, Det. Kwon, or for that matter, Do-yun.

I have a feeling that he genuinely wanted his own family, or at least people he can fully trust who would always prioritize him and accept him no matter what. And that heavily colored his interaction with the reincarnation of his past family. He seemed torn between wanting acknowledgment or acceptance from det. Kwon and itching to torture him for abandoning him all those reincarnations ago. He was clearly incensed that even now when he and Hwal are in the same state of "disgrace" living as Bulgasals, Hwal is still the one with precious human connection while he stays alone despite his wealth and power. I wonder if he somehow saw himself reflected in Do-yun and his brother's childhood: a sickly child left all alone to fend for themselves in a cruel world, and if that spurred a more genuine feelings between him and Do-yun even years later. The problem with Eul-tae is that, no matter how much he might care or wanted to care about someone, his instinct to kill the moment problems arose is much too ingrained in his brain that I don't think he is capable of making any other decision than what he chose 1.000 years ago".

@ iamZ9                                                                                                            I agree that Hwal has made a mistake and should never go to the mountains with his army and family in search of Bulgasal. It seems to me that events from 1,000 years ago took place in the same mountains. As for me, people should never settle there, because it is the place where Bulgasal lived. Sang Un does not remember what happened in the past, so it is possible that she has to go to the mountains to the same place in the past to remember something. Maybe she need Hwal to get those memories back? The wounds they inflicted together have some meaning - it will allow them to find each other. As for me, this is not a sign of a curse, but a way to find themselves again, faster. Sang Un says the same thing: "with this wound, you will find me", it's a clue, not a curse. Because together they have to find the truth and a way to get rid of Bulgasal. What if that also will mean their death?

@Izyda omg yes!  i remembered the prophecy of the shaman lady as a kid , “follow the fire if you want to find her” ! So this may mean just like what you said, go the the village -the start of it all(1000years ago) and  they’ll find answers there! And noo, i dont want any of them to die T-T …

The article is really good! With regards to the article for me dark hole-no matter how regretful he is, nomatter what feelings he has left, and nomatter how much he wanted to change, since he chose to continue living at the expense of other people’s blood, he is already unredeemable. Because he still wanted to live as a bulgasal- thirsty for blood by always pushing hwal to kill sang woon, i already lost the last bit of my pity for him.

However, I think there’s still a chance for dark hole. I really dont think he would die if he doesnt kill sang woon. If only he could apologise and repent, maybe he’d also find his happiness. If this does happen, what a miracle it would be. Id see this as a happy ending at least. :))

I have another idea. My guess is that Sang Un told Hwal it was all his fault, because he once again brought people to the place where she lived. The second time, because she thought he had betrayed her in the past too by bringing people from the village, but it wasn't him but Dark Hole, who followed Hwal and found out the truth, or was Hwal his friend and he told him about it, or even they were a brothers from the same mother? 

It seems like a few things can be sorted out now. The first 1,000 years ago in a small village in the mountains. Another 600 years ago, when we get to know Hwal and his fate. The next showed Hwal looking for Sang Un w 1593 (Hwal has her painting from that period). Then there was a house fire, which was in 1971 as indicated by the date on the information board in the orphanage where Ms Lee ended up (1971/12/18). Next is the story of Detective Kwon (1975), whose sister might have been the next incarnation of Sang Un and then we have 2006 where Sang Un and Shi Ho sister and mother died and then 15 years later. So we know how Sang Un died four times.

First time posting but something that is just hitting me in the face as an end season twist that makes A TON of sense and has interesting implications.

We know that Hwal will meet everyone in his past life due to the curse tying them all together but there’s on character we’ve yet to meet: his stillborn daughter.

Of course the shots and scenes are typical K-Drama love triangle, we know Hwal loves his wife and subsequently her reincarnation, snd he is definitely and squarely the protagonist/lawful good side of the story. How can we square the seeming love for Sangun? Simple. She’s the reincarnation of his dead daughter.

This also can explain why Ok Eultae doesn’t know what’s going on with her, and I don’t believe he’s the final villain. As the story progresses, he’s definitely a dark and tragic character but he has a real and sincere grudge against the twin sister who he “killed.” All those years ago.

Perhaps our ending is heading towards the original Bugalsal pulling a twin swap/trick play when she’s the real cause of the strife in Hwal, and Ok Eultaes life. Sangun is simply a casualty and an unwitting pawn/red herring in the original bugalsals plan and grudge against Hwal, and somehow Ok Eultae got in the way.

Ok Eultae may not completely redeem himself especially after the last episode stabbing of DoYun but some of the dialogue in the preview makes me think he won’t actually die. This would allow for the audience to hate him more until all is revealed snd Ok Eultae makes a final sacrifice in the end to atone for what he’s done, by taking the original bugalsal with him or assisting in her downfall.

Or, the whole twin split can just be plot armor for Sangun until the end. Who knows

This is my first time writing a theory of bulgasal. I have a little hunch but know my hunch won't happen but still wanna share. The theory I have is first of all, the real bulgasal were min sang un and Hwal 1000 years ago, they both were bulgasal from birth. And they were married to each other? Lovers? Pregnancy? I really don't, I can't say for sure but hope there's pregnancy between them because it could clearly explain why bulgalady was so angry at Hwal a bit. So there comes Ok Eul Tae a human who was said to be a sick person, and poor at swordmanship and saw min sang un(bulgasal) a woman, so strong and immortal and started to get jealous over her immortality and strength and wants to snatch it. And I think each bulgasal got unique power that different the bulgasal from the other bulgasal. For example, min sang un(bulgasal) cursing ok eul tae with dark hole. The curse things never done by other bulgasal, Hwal and Ok Eul Tae but only min sang un. And also I think Hwal could be so strong from min sang un so ok eul tae somehow manipulated Hwal and turned him human with his soul while eul tae becomes a bulgasal.. and also eul tae made a misunderstanding between min sang un that lead to her losing the baby and Hwal that lead to the Hwal scar in the hand also his reincarnations. Hwal being born as Hwal would have been his 8th reincarnation and also the last incarnation so bulgasal sang un wanted to save Hwal being destroyed and also the soul because the sould should be presented when killing eul tae, thus snatching the soul from Hwal making him a bulgasal. Just think who would take a soul that monsters have grudge against and becoming human? Ok eul tae somehow knew sang un's(bulgasal) plan and planned to turn Hwal against sang un, killing his family and blamed it on sang un. Way of killing of ok eul tae got connected to min sang un and hwal's union so that's why eul tae desperately wants sang un and Hwal against each other.  This is my theory on the past story. And also when sang un (bulgasal) saying to hwal that he brought another karma was she saying that eul tae got a more time  to live because he killed her and also it will difficult to find her as when or where she will born was that she herself will don't know.

The present, I think bulgalady got her memories, scar and also her soul intact with sang yeon who destined to die stillbirth, making herself memory lost so it will help her to protect herself from eul tae from killing and also she can get time to explain to hwal from killing her.

I think it makes sense but not sure .. I'm going crazy over bulgasal Every week. It was like feeling hell in living???

Now I'm rewatching all of the 10 episodes to not forget anything we have got know so far.

I'm really curious about things so let what if begin:

- what if the thing the shaman lady has said about the one who doesn't remember would kill them is not about Sang un but Hwal? Because he also doesn't remember why he was cursed... Also in episode 5 Sang Yeon said Sang un will be the one who will put everything back in its place. So I'm not that sure about Sang Un being the so said bad guy.

• well after episode 12 half of my theory was right. Now I’ve got to know that OET is obsessed with Hwal which explains everything

- what if the blood on Bulgalady when he stabbed Hwal was not Hwal's family's blood but others or her blood? In episode 1 that soldier has attacked a Bulgasal with other soldiers and they've survived! At first, I didn't realize it but after rewatching it I've found it strange... after the 10th episode we saw that OET was also there.

- what if Bulgalady has stabbed him to save him from the other Bulgasal? What if she wasn't the one who cursed him? She looked very surprised when she's got his soul. Also, why would she save him when he was younger if he cursed him? It seemed to me she has realized that she's got his curse as well with his soul. à after watching episodes 11-12 my second question may be wrong. If those memories are true ( the editing still confuse us) then she cursed him but slowly we get to know exactly why

- what if Hwal not losing his mind is possible because Bulgalady was maybe also not bad at all? I mean she saved him twice when she could have killed him instead, and Hwal's become Bulgasal because of her. I know OET was also human but he killed his brother and also tried to kill the two witnesses but Bulgalady stopped him.

- What if they were originally twins? I mean somehow it is strange for me. What if there was a Bulgalady and a human? I know it sounds crazy but something is strange. Det. Kwon’s sister’s soul was smelly for the Monsters. Sang-Un was not born with the scar and memories. Her memories show us Hwal was the bad guy (Last few minutes of ep 12). But Hwal’s memories show us it was the opposite (ep 13’s preview).

-

Extras:

- I don't know if it's got someone's attention, but in the 2nd episode, the editor uses an effect that makes it look like someone else is watching them. Maybe it was Ok Eul Tae.

- in the first 2 episodes I've found it interesting that in Hwal's dream we saw something burning like in the 2nd episode when Bulgalady vanished. What could it be? What is the clue? ( or am I just overthinking again?)

- Will the fate of Det.Nam and Det. Kwon be the same as was 600 years ago? à after watching episode 13’s preview it seems true. Somehow I’ve felt like Det. Nam would do something as he did in the second ep.

- In the second episode Hwal killed Bulgalady which could be a hint about a Bulgasal can only kill a Bulgasal, of course after watching ep 4 we get to know this fact. (I’m amazed how many clues they’ve given us in the first 2 episodes)

- The name, Hwal means rebirth. So when Bulgalady was killed Hwal came back alive as Bulgasal. I'm curious about what this name could also mean. Maybe is there more to it or just overthinking it?

- Watching episode 2 I've seen that Sang Yeon's hands didn't tremble. Why is it just Sang Un? But after a few minutes said ’as well when they were talking about this so why? Maybe I misunderstood something.

- I wonder if we ever get an answer to why Si-ho has that kind of power but after watching Sang-Un’ past lives memories maybe there are more twists about Hwal’s family

- Why Det. Kwon has not told Hwal what happened to his father and sister yet? About his first meeting with Bulgasal? Also, I’m still not sure about which one of them ’saved’ him?

- One more thing Det. Kwon’s father said something like ’I smell your soul’ and he tried to kill the little girl. This little girl was one of Sang-Un past lives?

- Sang-yeon will not reincarnate because it was the last chance, but what about Sang-Un…

- I find it interesting how they usually show us Sang-Un with red or brighter colors but Hwal with darker and blue colors, like on the painting…

I’m still rewatching episodes but because I have other stuff to do I couldn’t finish it yet. I'll soon continue ~

I feel like I invest a lot of time into this drama … But I don’t regret it tho~

@MyersLucy 

I advice to not overthink that much or else you’ll also end up with headaches. But you gave many interesting points too.  You can also try to focus your attention on these two points:

- BulgasalHwal has a one-sided love for BulgasaLady according to Eul Tae 1000 years ago. Thismay mean that Hwal killed the villagers to protect BulgasaLady.

- Eul Tae told his father about the village where BulgasaLady and BulgasalHwal lived. Which may mean that Hwal killed the soldiers who were trying to massacre the villagers but he was too late and all of them already died. And Sang Un misunderstood his intentions.

A lot of dots can be connected with only these two. Have fun rewatching and take care! <3

i edited this to elaborate since you might have been more confused, im sorry haha

@iamZ9

Yes, I had a thought I might overthink a lot ~ After episode 12 I've got answers. I almost forgot about OET telling his father about the forest. That explains a lot. Why  Hwal was injured 1000 years ago or why he killed those people. Oh now it's getting clearer. Thank you for reminding me. I've really forgotten this. 

What if there was a misunderstanding between Hwal and Sang-un 1000 years ago? Maybe not but I can imagine it...

Thank you for your kind words! Take care~! <3

So here is my theory after watching the drama. I will name them as ML- Hwal, FL-Sang Un and Eul Tae ET.  So according to my theory, ML and FL were the two existing bulgasal 1000 years ago. But somehow both of them were injured and at brink of death from the attack of ET and his fathers army as he was spreading rumour that Bulgasal killed his brother (who was his fathers favourite). While on his deathbed , ML stole ET soul and turned him into Bulgasal to save FL and died as human. FF 400 years after, ML was born as human, FL was protecting ML from far as Bulgasal (because he is her other half) and ET was searching for ML in his village  to kill him. It was easy for ET to find ML as he can smell the soul just like they can smell FL soul now. The reason ET don't want the human body to live and kill them as soon as he find him because he will die once soul are restored in original place. He cant kill his own soul completely because it is his soul and whenever its hurt he gets hurt too. Therefore he wants ML to kill FL as they both originally share same soul as Bulgasal 1000 years ago and it is the only way to fill his void heart.

New here. And here are my theories

My theory is the past life wife is the mastermind.

Her symptoms are showing slowly..ET was her tragic lover whom she used to break up Hwal and Sang-eon in their past lives, resulting in the bulgasal curse. Dan Sol must have one sided love for Hwal but unreciprocated, thats why she broke up the lovers. And thats why she has so much hatred for Hwal in her subsequent lives cox she can revisit her past lives and remembers her past actions resulted in her child being blind and death or illness to other children. Her death was masterminded so Hwal can look for Dan Sol thinking she killed his wife when in fact ET did based on Dan Sol instructions, then their vicious cycle of killing each other will repeat.

ET was begging Hwal to kill Sang-eon by instruction of Dan Sol so the past lovers can suffer tragedy by their actions, then ET can finally unite with Dan Sol once she remembers her past lives and instructions. 

So the one who remembers the past lives and everyone will die..is Dan Sol. The shaman only role is to avoid her from remembering. 

Another theory is Do-yoon past life dad was ET not Hwal thats why he was the only child that survived childbirth, thats why ET and Do-yoon have good relationship in this life.

Just throwing another theories out there cox all the obvious theories point to Hwal and Sang-eon but there are some side characters summary written with careless mystery.

@Leap

Thank you for your theory. I think you might be right about Dan Sol/Si-ho. I can imagine your theory. I think Hwal's family was with them 1000 years ago as well. Because at the end of ep 12 in Sang-un memories they showed us 2 or 3 people. I couldn't figure out who they were. Also your theory about the one who doesn't remember can be Si-ho because the shaman lady always tries to stop her. That would explain a lot. I hope we will find out more about Si-ho, shaman lady and Hwal& Sang-un relationship. Plus I can also imagine that Si-ho caused misunderstandings between them. I'm not sure but it could be that too.

Thank you for your theory again and take care <3

Guys guys guys with the help of your theories, I just realized something incredible!

Initially, I forgot that the owner of the soul is Eul Tae.. and so I was too focused on the 600 years ago stating that Hwal was the one who got cursed. So when I remembered thanks to you all, I realized that all of the people around has NO CONNECTION AT ALL to Hwal/Sang Un but instead, they’re all connected to>>DARK HOLE. Which means that the curse, the detective, si ho and a’ chan is close to Dark Hole 1000 years ago AND NOT TO BULGAHWAL AND BULGALADY/SANG UN! OMG 

So in the scene where Dark Hole was killing his brother, A’chan and Si Ho was NOT WITH bulgasalady who was there but instead was there WITH dark hole! This brings us to the possibility that they may have  supported ok eul tae to spread the lie of bulgalady killing eun seo since they may be his wife and son 1000 years ago!….I also rewatched the scene and then realized that a’chan and si ho may have arrived too late and only saw bulgalady pushing ok eul tae so maybe they thought that it was bulgalady who killed eun seo(brother of dark hole)!

Or am i the only one who realized this too late? XD