[Discussion] Ninkyo Helper

Synopsis

Tsubasa Hikoichi is a yakuza underling who runs a loan shark operation in Roppongi. Hikoichi is brutal and efficient, and has no compunction about cheating the weak and poor out of their hard-earned money. When Hikoichi's boss dies, his replacement, Takayama Gensuke, wants the young hood to prepare himself for an executive position, and orders Hikoichi, along with other subordinate bosses, to get a job in an elderly care facility. Suffice it to say, the position isn't what Hikoichi expected it to be... --The Japan Times

Cast

Kusanagi Tsuyoshi as Tsubasa Hikoichi
Kuroki Meisa as Yomogi Riko
Matsudaira Ken as Takayama Gensuke
Yabu Kouta as Takayama Mikiya
Igarashi Shunji as Kurosawa Goro
Yuki Jutta as Muguruma Masato
Ukaji Takashi as Nihonbashi Kengo
Mukai Osamu as Nanami Kazuki

Watching this right now...Got interested in this drama when I learned that this script was the winner of 17th Fuji TV Young Writers Award...

Other dramas/movies that won from this contest were:

Tokyo Love Story - 1st year winner
Bara no nai Hanaya - 2nd year winner
Fumo Chitai - 6th year winner
Last Friends - 7th year winner
Densha Otoko - 15th year winner
Proposal Daisakusen - 16th year winner
LIFE - 18th year winner
Rinne no Ame - 22nd year winner

So is this drama worth watching?
I loved Ninkyo Helper, well of course I did - it's got a leading man with an absolutely beautiful sakura tattoo...... I = mush. ^^

Am currently re-watching this one with my mum, she's not entirely sold on J-drama, but is enjoying it a lot so far.
The drama deserves more attention for sure. Abs, I agree about the leading man, he was very compelling.
I love this drama a lot. It's one of my favorites. <3 Actually when I first started it, I dropped it after a few episodes. I only started loving it after picking it up for the second time. It's awesome, funny, emotional, fast-paced, cute, has some action and romance.. Wonderful. :)
bring your grand umma/appa too watch
bokami wrote: bring your grand umma/appa too watch

Have you finished it yet Bokami?
several months ago
bokami wrote: several months ago

lol, ok. I'm sorry but when stalking you lists my eyes couldn't catch everything, though I knew you had it on PTW for a long while.

I liked the lead and the general story, he was an interesting character and it is beyond me why this drama is not more popular, it has everything in there practically and is not a fluffy drama either. It was very touching, the special is not bad either and has its impact on the characters, i suppose it is in some ways about starting afresh. Just a good drama. It's perhaps not a masterpiece, but it is underrated on MDL.
Bladey wrote: lol, ok. I'm sorry but when stalking you lists my eyes couldn't catch everything, though I knew you had it on PTW for a long while.

I liked the lead and the general story, he was an interesting character and it is beyond me why this drama is not more popular, it has everything in there practically and is not a fluffy drama either. It was very touching, the special is not bad either and has its impact on the characters, i suppose it is in some ways about starting afresh. Just a good drama. It's perhaps not a masterpiece, but it is underrated on MDL.

Spread the love for underrated drama:)
Bladey wrote: lol, ok. I'm sorry but when stalking you lists my eyes couldn't catch everything, though I knew you had it on PTW for a long while.

darkangel662008 wrote: Spread the love for underrated drama:)

agreed on both counts. ^^
This drama really impressed me. I plan to rewatch it one day.
I only started it because it was recommended on Dramacrazy, but was sceptical about liking something related to Yakuzas (I don't like this kind of story in general). I was thinking it would some kind of non-serious drama, making fun with everything. What a shock! I was totally impressed too by the drama, and really liked the touching parts of it. Plus a drama which makes you think deeply about what it is to be an aged person nowadays, the place you have (or have not anymore) in the society, and the consequences of loosing your memory... Sometimes funny, sometimes grave, and never caricatural. A very very very good surprise, and a good example of the capacity of japanese industry (and maybe mostly of asian industry) of creating intelligent but entertaining shows. rated it 9, and highly recommended it to anyone.
SumiTheCat wrote: I only started it because it was recommended on Dramacrazy, but was sceptical about liking something related to Yakuzas (I don't like this kind of story in general). I was thinking it would some kind of non-serious drama, making fun with everything. What a shock! I was totally impressed too by the drama, and really liked the touching parts of it. Plus a drama which makes you think deeply about what it is to be an aged person nowadays, the place you have (or have not anymore) in the society, and the consequences of loosing your memory... Sometimes funny, sometimes grave, and never caricatural. A very very very good surprise, and a good example of the capacity of japanese industry (and maybe mostly of asian industry) of creating intelligent but entertaining shows. rated it 9, and highly recommended it to anyone.

That part, I wholeheartedly agree with as with your general opinion. They tackled the problem well too....but I find such dramas deliver only in Japanese execution myself. I don't myself understand why, I think Koreans are much too showy and success-oriented to render such issues quite as aptly.
i like show deals with unpopular issues
@Sumithecat and Bladey - I agree with both of you