Japanese Dramas to me are like a sign of hope. Sometimes when I watch a drama I can relate to it in my life or it can encourages/inspires me more. I enjoy how they tell beautiful stories about love, friends,work,school,family...... Japanese dramas touch my heart

Please share your thoughts about why you love Japanese dramas or why you watch them. I want to know your thoughts! 

Nothing
The shoebox appartements depress my life

They're short, for one. (Only half-joking.) But I love how their slice of life dramas showed these ordinary people, living ordinary lives and struggling with it. Sometimes it's fun watching escapist stuff, with dramatic love stories and heroic deeds, but watching ordinary people being neurotic and mediocre and weird can be relaxing, too ;)

kura2ninja:
watching ordinary people being neurotic and mediocre and weird can be relaxing, too ;)

This is my main reason as to why I enjoy Japanese dramas the most. Normal people dealing with normal situations and how they handle it... I find it to be so much more entertaining than the fluff and fake stuff we get from other countries. Don't get me wrong, I love fluff and fantasy dramas but they aren't real and I can't identify with them on a personal level. To see a character fighting, crying, going through something absolutely heart-wrenching tends to stick with me in the long run than a guy meeting a girl, them falling in love and then that's it.

Also another reason, albeit superficial, is that Japanese actors/ actresses don't look fake. The Japanese in general aren't that addicted to plastic surgery like Koreans and Chinese and it's so refreshing to see "normal" people with imperfections. The first time I watched a Japanese drama, the actor didn't have perfect straight teeth nor was his skin flawless and it turned me off for a sec because up until this point I had only watched Korean dramas/ movies. I got over it real quick because the acting was amazing and I realized that that is the reason why I really enjoy watching a drama- the acting, the story, and just being totally consumed.

What I love about Japanese Dramas o let me count the ways : )

1. Short seasons thus usually a more tight story line and less time for filler episodes.

2. Even their Fantasy/Sci fi has one foot on the ground most of the time, how would a normal person react in this situation, what is the logical outcome? (I said most, not all)

3. They live by the saying "Those who forget their past are doomed to repeat it" While it seems they are romanticizing Samurai culture, They usually depict the downsides of fuedal era Japan as well.  Same goes for what I have seen of their depictions of WWII 

4. Physical forms of Romance is minimalized, but sex is not taboo..this is hard to explain if you havent watched alot... public show affection is frowned upon, but having sex with your Significant Other is just natural progression.   

There are more but I cant make them into a coherant sentence right now

They have good to high level quality content that fits into 10-12 episodes. I like the variety of genres they provide so there is always something for everyone. 

I cannot get bored with Japanese dramas but if I only watched Korean dramas I would have been in a slump a long time ago which is why I tend to space out K-dramas and have no problems with watching 3 or 4 J-dramas in a row. 

I find they excel in the slice of life family themes and can handle such stories with substance and depth. They feel so realistic and convey meaningful and inspiring stories. Many of my favourite dramas fall into this category. 

I like to watch older dramas so I can go back as far as the early 90's to find interesting dramas to watch (or even older if I can get hold of subs...).  

I give higher priority to Japanese dramas so if something captures my attention I would put everything else on hold to watch it. 

• Great friendships/bromances 
  • Goofy Comedy 
  •  I like the language and the emotion they use in their voices 
  • Delicious food in dramas
  • Hot actors 

Actually one big reason for loving Jdrama is because of it's uniqueness. You will only get certain things in Jdrama that usually don't have in other countries. For example element of mystic in non-mystery drama (remember how the spirit of the OB came to school festival in Nobuta wo Produce?). Another example would be a strange/mystery character that appear as a metaphor to the main lead (remember Kaneda in Kekkon Dekinai Otoko?)...just to name a few

I also love how they don't try to imitate the current style of K,C and T dramas in terms of "color profile", fashion, interior design as well as cinematography in general (read: strangely everything is beauty it's unreal). But I have to admit that several recent years drama targeting younger female audience tend to have a more colorful visuals. example NigeHaji, KoeGirl, Sachiiro and maybe the recent Fukada Kyoko's drama with that pink hair guy (which i don't watch but always see on FEED) LOL.

Several other reasons include:

1. Unique story line others don't dare to attempt. Example is how people are so in love with Korean remake of Mother saying how unique it was, but the Japanese did that theme 8 years earlier.
  2. Just like others have mention above, Jdrama tend to focus on real people with realistic life and work.
  3. Excellent in making non-romance (i mean not even a hint of it) drama but still interesting enough to watch. TBH when i was younger, I have this strange mindset that in drama there must be someone fall in love with someone...LOL. But I changed my perception after watching many Jdramas. Now when there are too many cheap romance drama from other countries (especially when these are aired everyday on my local TV), watching Jdrama is like an escapism for me...
  4. A good alternative for Jdama would be western series for me, but I have stopped following the west since the 24, when they have too many seasons. This is the other main reason for why Jdrama is still my no.1 choice. Unlike western series, Jdrama mostly will have a definitive conclusion at the end. Then when they decide for 2nd season, it will be picked up from there, and you will be fine if you opt not to continue.
  5. So just like others have said, Jdrama have shorter episodes and therefore  good for binge watch.
  6. Japanese is good in portraying people characters. For example the awkwardness you may have with your family members, like how kids in rebellious stage still care for their family but they just don't know how or feel shy to show it. Or how a dad always being distant with the kids, but showing love secretly/non-directly. There is also no black and white in most characters in Jdrama so the message is people are always good and bad at the same time but that's what being a human is. Strangely enough, I learned more about people from watching drama than in real life...LOL
 ShotaSidePart:
Also another reason, albeit superficial, is that Japanese actors/ actresses don't look fake. The Japanese in general aren't that addicted to plastic surgery like Koreans and Chinese and it's so refreshing to see "normal" people with imperfections.

I notice before the rise of K-pop, everything just worked fine. The older K-drama/movie actors have more diverse facial features. It's just that when K-pop is well known, Korean trying to narrowing down how the actors should look and even how they should dress up. At the end of the day everyone trying to look similar and those with inferiority will go for plastic surgery. Seriously this is bad for the ART, because it's what people called as "generic".

Japenese on the other hand seems to have a different approach on producing their idols. Just look at how differ Arashi from SMAP. Or TOKIO from whatever idol groups. Even every member in group have their own distinct facial and physical features. The most important thing is how these idols have similarity with common people in Japan. The easiest is to compare their football team players with their actors and idols. You would see those in entertainment are just like a "polished version of the athletes". If you compare the Spurs' Son with any of the K-pop idols (no rudeness intended), it's just like heaven and earth...LOL

Sometimes they get it right and have a great mix of comedy and heartfelt moments.

I love Japanese Dramas because, I feel like they have a certain deepness to them. For example, I recently watched Todome No Kiss which is probably one of the less  deep J dramas out there. And it seemed incredibly cheesy at first and I thought there was nothing deep about it. But, as I keep watching  it turned into something really deep that questioned human desire to change the past and regrets and two characters who have been stuck in the  past  learning to move on. I don't know, I feel like in Japanese dramas everything seem  to  have  a certain deepness. Even the dilalogues are full of meaningful and smart sentences.

Also, I like that in Japanese dramas there are always good life lessons you can take. And I agree with the others that they don't try to make appereances of the actors as perfect. Also, they don't  make their  characters perfect either. The characters are people who are sometimes rights sometimes wrong  just like real people. And the J dramas don't judge their characters for their mistake, but instead try to understand them. So, I find them quite humanist actually.  

And I like the romance in Japanese dramas as well even when they are not the real focus. I think they are good at showing  the  bonding between the two characters and developing their relationship so their relationship seems to have strong roots.

they have various format and generally shorter total airing time. this give them more freedom on deciding how the story would progress, character's grow, and the right time to end it. it also enable them to take a very peculiar theme out ouf normal daily live or even the wackiest unthinkable plot and still stick to it until the end of last ep (tho i dont think its true for shoujo high school romance, they disgust me most of the time).

i know their neighbor also have short format drama to but i dont thinks its near as popular as their 16+ hours usual format. whereas in jdrama you can find various jdrama within 6hrs to 12hrs length format. i love how there is little to no room for straying from main plot.

also i notice this one because i watch a lot kdrama too, feels like jdrama is more relatable because most of the time the characters are just normal people compared to kdrama which often use high profile characters to appeal to the viewer. this can get really bothersome when the issue/problem just cycle around (and get stuck) in money/authority's power. and it become particularly bothersome when its a crime story, instead of outwitting and outmaneuver each other in the dark it become just a blatant show of power. in this regard i think jdrama handle it much better than the other.

10years:
Also, they don't make their characters perfect either. The characters are people who are sometimes rights sometimes wrong just like real people. And the J dramas don't judge their characters for their mistake, but instead try to understand them. So, I find them quite humanist actually.

THIS, i like how their characters are just normal people with their own 'weakness' and instead of growing them into a more perfect characters, the story just play around their 'weakness' and how they live their life with it and deal with problems in their own way.

There's something about their dialogues that always though provoking even the most absurd plot has a scene that will make you reflect and think about your own life, like for example arakawa under the bridge is one of those "wtf japan" type of story but it's also one of the deepest I've ever watched. It has something to do with their culture and their religion I think. This feeling exist not just in Jdramas/movie, anime but also in their books.

Actually there's another thing that i like about jdrama, which is their indirect japanese culture/language lesson...As a person who is at the very basic level of japanese language, i find that the alternative/special non usual reading of the kanji seems interesting. For example Ninomae surname from the drama SPEC is written with kanji "1". Then the Takanashi surname from the recent Legal V. Also Mutsuko (Roku-chan) from Always Sunset on 3rd Street seems confusing for even the japanese too.