Same here!!! :( This year I was really dissapointed by J-Dramas. Started and dropped so many j_Dramas cuz found them boring. Not finished one single j-drama this year! Only J-Drama I was loved 2013 was Rich Man, Poor Woman in New York (movie) ... Hope 2014 will be better!
not all is boring.. Ive seen Bokutachi no Koukan Nikki& its good [movie]
I also finish watching Hard Nut,Doctor X2 not boring and now I started watching miss pilot & I check the first epi of this 2 drama Bartender & Pin to kona & its not boring at all!
i've only seen kazoku game for dramas that aired in 2013 and i liked it. i didn't find it boring
femmedesneiges wrote: Forgot about this thread...

Random thoughts:

Ninomiya is the best actor in Johnny's bar none (possibly excepting Kazama). Coming from someone who hates his idol persona's guts, he never fails to charm and convince me when he's in character. The consistently worst, for me, are Yamashita, Ohkura, Akanishi and Sakurai. Akanishi and Sakurai were/are the two that can get by on charisma/idol-factor.

Sakurai is various shades of fake. I actually like his "crazy" acting in Kazoku Game and The Quiz Show 2, but anything that requires expressing emotion is beyond him. His approach is very business-like.

Matsumoto in Smile was the one time I actually thought, hmm, this guy's going somewhere. Recent (the ones in their late-prime now, past 8 years?) Johnny's generally have a spark of potential in one role that gives me hope for their future performance, and they always fall back down to average or worse.

I guess I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone fascinated by idols and their integration within the industry more than someone concerned about acting skills. I'm really a terrible judge of talent.

I think it is the agency that kills the talent. Today's JE is notoriously known for absence of acting training of their talents. They are just lucky having ones who are naturally talented like Ninomiya, and yet due to the disastrous system of the agency, Nino's talent has been hindered from reaching full potential. I think in a proper agency, Nino could have easily become a very good thespian actor, perhaps those like Eita hint what he may have become.

Back to the main topic, I agree with some of you, so-so, by-the-numbers (and some utter garbage) shows dominate in terms of number, but some did stand out. I enjoy Kogure Shanshikan, Tokeiya no Musume (SP), Radio (SP), Biblia, Mahoro Ekimae Bangaichi, Made in Japan, Hard Nut, Henshin Interviewer, xxHolic, and of course the mercurial Amachan for dramas. I recommend these shows if you haven't watch them
Masquerade wrote: Same here!!! :( This year I was really dissapointed by J-Dramas. Started and dropped so many j_Dramas cuz found them boring. Not finished one single j-drama this year!
Only J-Drama I was loved 2013 was Rich Man, Poor Woman in New York (movie) ...
Hope 2014 will be better!

Rich man, poor woman was thrilling! xD it has been the only drama on the year that I watched on almost one night. Even if the plot seems just like "another same story", it is actually entertaining and Oguri Shun's character was nice.

Dramas of this season... I have seen Miss Pilot and Dokushin Kizoku but as much as I enjoyed them, they were not that great. I hope coming season gets better
I liked a lot of dramas this year... Legal High 2 was really funny and interesting. Hanzawa Naoki totally kicked ass. This was definitely Sakai Masato's year :) And I also liked Kazoku Game and Saikou no Rikon. If you like investigation drama you should definitely check out Hard Nut! and maybe Kurokouchi, they were pretty good. I even enjoyed Master's Sun a lot, in spite of all the cliché. oh, and I've also heard great things about Tonbi, it's supposed to be pretty good but I haven't seen it yet so I can't vouch for it. There are probably some more dramas I liked this year, but for some reason only the Japanese ones are coming to mind hehe
lontongstroong wrote: I think it is the agency that kills the talent. Today's JE is notoriously known for absence of acting training of their talents. They are just lucky having ones who are naturally talented like Ninomiya, and yet due to the disastrous system of the agency, Nino's talent has been hindered from reaching full potential. I think in a proper agency, Nino could have easily become a very good thespian actor, perhaps those like Eita hint what he may have become.

I don't think it's a particularly disastrous system. It serves its purpose well. But Ninomiya is a waste and it's a shame.

Main topic:

I've been saving Tonbi for when I get bored. But I never got bored... And I find it hard to rate anything by Miki Satoshi. His movies bore me so much whilst I'm watching them but I end up with a lot of fond memories once they're over.
Bored? Ashita Mama ga Inai was a totally fresh and beautiful story, check it out because it really eschews a lot of the typical subject matter/story. And Lillith above already mentioned Kazoku Game, which was also totally different and exciting.
Yeah not much in J-drama world is grabbing me lately either, not since the GTO remake have I felt I need to watch another episode right away when one is finished. I do however enjoy a drama called 49 at the moment, but that may be mostly due to the fact that I'm head over heels about Nishino Nanase.