I can literally name a lot of actors who are really good and it took them atleast 10 years to get lead roles. Apparently, some of these actors even though took them a while to get lead roles in kdramas, had a lot of leading and big roles in films though. Which is in my opinion is better. 

With all honesty, there is an hierarchy with regards to actors in Korea. The ones at the top of the hierarchy are the chungmuro actors meanwhile kdrama actors are just beneath them. If you would rank all of them, those overrated stiff kdrama actors would probably be sitting at the bottom. 

I don't care about the leads being attractive, what's important is their acting and whether they can sell their character/story. In fact, I love it when the actors are comfortable and confident enough in their skills to look ugly and human, like actual people. Dear My Friends was so refreshing because it wasn't about making the stars look pretty on camera.

Lee Minho - can't act, same type of roles over and over
Lee Junki - overacts to the point of comedy, I find him almost unwatchable
Jang Keunsuk - stiff as a board
Kim Bum - as above
Lee Dongwook - has never been able to act, hasn't shown much improvement
Song Seungheon - as above

Kim Sohyun - no subtlety, every expression super obvious. I've read that she was never formally trained. Maybe she should think about getting some lessons
Suzy - lifeless but she's shown some improvement
Park Minyoung - bland, aura of inauthenticity, hard to sympathise with her characters since it feels like she never lets herself go
Song Hyekyo - everyone knows
Shin Minah - very little range or versatility
Kang Hanna - granted, I've only seen her in one show but she was very stiff

I think there's a prejudice about idols that's sometimes exaggerated, especially given that many "actors" are no better. It's true that many of the younger idols are given roles far beyond their capabilities for the sake of attracting viewership. But there are some idol-actors who defy the stereotype.

Yes indeed idols getting a free pass into leads while actually talented actors.remain unnoticed for years is my pet peeve with this industry.

Then there's actors who range from average to pretty decent in acting but always just play SAME role or SAME WAY EVERY. DAMN.TIME. Song Hye Kyo is prime example, she is the female Lee Min Ho - attractive model type but no range at all.

Some actors are better in movies, for example Han Hyo Joo. But she still plays abit too same way for my liking. Despite this I like her but wish she would improve her range.

Actually I'm curious, who would you guys vote as having actual range/versatility in acting?

I made a Voting List about this, Unsettling Chameleon like actors:

https://mydramalist.com/list/3rWJyzq4

Sukai:

I can literally name a lot of actors who are really good and it took them atleast 10 years to get lead roles. Apparently, some of these actors even though took them a while to get lead roles in kdramas, had a lot of leading and big roles in films though. Which is in my opinion is better. 

With all honesty, there is an hierarchy with regards to actors in Korea. The ones at the top of the hierarchy are the chungmuro actors meanwhile kdrama actors are just beneath them. If you would rank all of them, those overrated stiff kdrama actors would probably be sitting at the bottom. 

Please DO name these actors, I am so curious.

Recently I am soo happy about both Kim Nam Gil and Lee Da Hee  finally getting the recognition they deserve. He played lead roles for years but i-fans kept sleeping on him for years; she played villains or supporting characters for years, which turns out only made her become  much more  versatile than the likes of popular Song Hye Kyo, Park Shin Hye and other no-range actors. ....and now finally lead roles and dram is super anticipated/most popular upcoming 2022 drama.  And Cha Eun Woo cast as second lead and not the main....A rare case, casting actually feels just and right and not based on popularity. Also there's Netflix. Netflix also seems better at casting more based on talent than popularity most of the time, all those upcoming Genre dramas seem so intruguing and they avoid casting of idols as leads so far ha ha,   I hope they keep changing the industry for the better. ?

I can't digest over acting by shin min ah in hometown cha cha after confession ..she was trying so hard to be cute , ..it was so cringey ...plus I have no sympathy for idol actor /actresses ...if they act little bit better , everyone came to their defense ....they are just there ...

Dano:

I think the only reason the "talentless" actors mentioned above get work is—MONEY $$$—especially in the highly controlled world of K-entertainment. If you want to see who will continue to get work just check the "Stars Leaderboard" here and other popularity lists. Production companies with profits in mind know exactly what they're doing when they cast most of the actors mentioned in this thread.

Yes, that’s why the quality of kdramas nowadays are degrading. They are not what they are used to be. They’re now after popularity over quality. 

JulySnow2:

Yes indeed idols getting a free pass into leads while actually talented actors.remain unnoticed for years is my pet peeve with this industry.

Then there's actors who range from average to pretty decent in acting but always just play SAME role or SAME WAY EVERY. DAMN.TIME. Song Hye Kyo is prime example, she is the female Lee Min Ho - attractive model type but no range at all.

Some actors are better in movies, for example Han Hyo Joo. But she still plays abit too same way for my liking. Despite this I like her but wish she would improve her range.

Actually I'm curious, who would you guys vote as having actual range/versatility in acting?

I can’t quote your other post since MDL doesn’t allow to quote long posts but since you  asked, I will give my few cents on those actors who are good but took a while to land leading roles. 

Note: I’m pertaining about their kdrama roles in general. Their film projects are a different story. (Hoping there’s a separate thread to talk about film actors)

1. Oh Jung Se - although he is an actor for two decades now, he never had a single kdrama leading role until now even with his back to back baeksang win. 

2. Lee Je Hoon - he may have a few kdrama roles, but he is an example of an actor who took a difficult path through indie projects and took him a while to get recognized and land a kdrama lead role, 

3. Kang Ha Neul - surprisingly, he may have appeared in a lot of kdramas, but he had his very first lead role in wtcb 12 years after his debut. 

4. Namkoong Min - also acted a lot of supporting roles and side characters for years just until recently he was recognized by many despite already doing few lead roles before. 

5 Ra Mi Ran - she’s the female version of Oh Jung Se. Acted only through extras, cameos and supporting roles even until now. 

6. Shin Hye Sun - she already said on her speech before on how she struggled as an unnamed actress for many years before landing a leading role. 

7. Lee Si Eon - he is a pretty decent actor especially with comedic roles but somehow, he has more cameos than supporting roles under his belt and I don’t get why. 

8. Shin Ha Kyun - although he rarely do dramas during his early days, it wasn’t too long ago when he received his first drama lead role and recognized for it. 

There are many more to mention and it will take a long time to write but apparently, they rarely have big roles and wasn’t even known to many. Despite being unknown in the kdrama world, some of them already penetrated the film industry way before and already made names in the chungmuro industry. 

I find it funny this problem doesn't exist with daily dramas because there are no "popular" actors in them lol they always use lesser known actors for their main casts who are usually supporting/guest roles in mainstream dramas. 

I separate bad actors in 2 categories, Hams and Trees. Hams are hammy, Trees are wooden. Example: in True Beauty, Moon Ga Young is a Ham, CEW is a Tree. 

Question to all: Who are your "favorite" Hams and Trees? 

Sunset:

I find it funny this problem doesn't exist with daily dramas because there are no "popular" actors in them lol they always use lesser known actors for their main casts who are usually supporting/guest roles in mainstream dramas. 

So true! It’s just that daily dramas are difficult to watch because it is too long. 50 episodes at least. That’s where you can see a lot of veteran and good actors which are barely noticeable in regular kdramas.

Sukai:

So true! It’s just that daily dramas are difficult to watch because it is too long. 50 episodes at least. That’s where you can see a lot of veteran and good actors which are barely noticeable in regular kdramas.

It does feel longer if I'm trying to watch it all at once compared to if it was airing one episode a day. But if it's addicting enough to keep me interested I won't feel the length, I am only interested in the makjang dailies 'cause the slice of life ones bore me.. I enjoyed watching some lesser known actors like Seo Ha Joon (Phoenix 2020) Kim Jin Woo (Left-Handed Wife) Seo Joon Young (The Promise) Kang Eun Tak & Lee Shi Kang (A Man in a Veil)... etc. 

lord_varvara:

Speaking of actors who rely on their looks, which is almost a rule in teen and romance dramas, I cut CEW some slack because he's simply stunning, one of or the most beautiful male face I've ever seen. So if he relies on that, well, he also delivers in that department, unlike barely above average looking actors replying on their overhyped barely above average looks just because they came from some third-tier idol group or were idol rejects.  For some fans, if someone was an idol no matter how low on the totem pole, they are automatically considered hot and talented. Hell no!

CEW is stunning especially with black hair (he even looks prettier than some girls lol)  back when My ID is Gangnam Beauty was airing he kinda reminds me of Kairi Okayasu (Peach Girl) he doesn't believe in the 2nd FL's lies/scheming. He would've been perfect for that role if Peach Girl had a Korean remake! But that manga plot might feel too cliche/outdated for some older viewers nowadays. 

Emperor:

I can't digest over acting by shin min ah in hometown cha cha after confession ..she was trying so hard to be cute , ..it was so cringey ...plus I have no sympathy for idol actor /actresses ...if they act little bit better , everyone came to their defense ....they are just there ...

I couldn't watch HomeCha past ep 2. it was SO boring. SMA has very little charisma on screen in dramas where her role isn't cutesy, I feel. Even in Tomorrow With You, she was so boring in the beginning eps. Lee Je Hoon couldn't even save it for me. 

@Sukai: I like your list! lots of good and super under-rated actors/actresses you have there and most of them, except Lee Si Eon and Shin Ha Kyun, are ones whose work I will always check out. Nothing against Lee and Shin except that their roles/choice in dramas are never my type of thing. 

lord_varvara:

I separate bad actors in 2 categories, Hams and Trees. Hams are hammy, Trees are wooden. Example: in True Beauty, Moon Ga Young is a Ham, CEW is a Tree. 

Question to all: Who are your "favorite" Hams and Trees? 

Over-acting vs Under-acting.. hmm. haha. I think I prefer the Hams. Two of my fav hams are Lee Joon Ki and Hwang Jung Eum. Not hot favs with some fans. I'm alright with LJK hamming it up in more "theatrical" roles like Scholar who walks the night and I quite like HJE in her slapstick comedy roles. Ignoring her shrill voice, she has rather good comedic timing and I really liked her in She Was Pretty. 

Sukai:

Agreed! Can never keep up with daily dramas though. Too many eps and the Makjang tones are not my thing. They are absolutely addictive tho haha

@Lord_Varvara :  Just picking out some stuff to reply from an earlier post (MDL isn't letting me quote)

I think that problem lies in some type of dramas too.  Romance and teen are the biggest offenders when it comes to bad acting by expressionless or overacting pretty face #56784.  It's as if no one is concerned with directing these bad actors and actresses, but only with taking flattering shots.  Also, just because the actor/actress fanbase doesn't care about good acting or genuinely wouldn't know good acting if it hit them over the head (I'm looking at you, AHS fangirls, for his performance in Lovers of the Red Sky is the worst acting ever and an insult to blind people), it doesn't mean directors shouldn't strive to get good actors and performances even in genre where primary target audience is satisfied only with visuals.  They won't begrudge good acting while people put off by bad acting would stick around if acting is good. If a poorly acted drama reaches 10%,  who's to say it wouldn't reach few % more if acting was actually good? 

==== Yes RomComs/Roms are the absolute worst in terms of acting. It's no wonder the better actors never want to touch these genres with a ten foot pole and those that are known for them start to break away and take on more serious genres. These genres are a dead end street anyway, career-wise and is heavily dependent on a cast looking young and good =====

And yes, it sucks that you can see that a number of good actors aren't nearly in demand as the bad ones.  Take that first Rowoon drama, Extraordinary You. I couldn't watch past maybe 7-8 episodes but it was obvious to me that everyone in the principal and supporting cast acted circles around him. Not a high bar but they were legit better and some were really good. But it's Rowoon who's lining up leading roles because he's in a third-tier idol group.  And he isn't even an audience draw. EY and that Sunbae drama had poor ratings and the new one is a hit cause sageuk is always highly rated in Korea no matter what.  So it isn't him but the genre that has stable viewership. 

==== he was so bad in EY, I ff-ed all his scenes to LJW's and even the rest of the guys could act better. How is this dude getting roles? He's from a big company yes, but his group isn't even well-known? Also, I'm shooketh that he's friends with fellow Plank of Wood AHS and the superior LJW. Maybe those two should spend more time getting acting dvice from LJW. ====

Edit:

"All they care about is how hot the kissing is "

ha ha! K drama or hot kissing. Pick one, fans. K drama kissing is infamously stiff and known as fish kiss. Nothing hot there. But I guess hot enough for fans who think a talentless visual from generic pop band #7567 is the reincarnated Brando. 

===== ya they don't even kiss properly. alot of the time u see them kissing or pasting their mouth on the top or bottom lip, or even the cheek/above the lips/below the lips. It's alot of camera angling. Good actors can make it look damn hot with various movements but it's really all angles. Yet u have grown married women going ga ga over these lame kisses smh =====

JulySnow2:

I like your list! Personally from there for the actors - Kim Nam Gil, Ji Sung, Yoo Ah In, Lee Do Hyun. Would also add in Han Suk Kyu, Ha Jung Woo, Jo Jung Suk, Yoo Ji Tae, Ryu Jun Yeol, Lee Je Hoon. 

For the ladies, I absolutely LOVE  Lee Da Hee. She made Search WWW so watchable for me and omg I wanna be Scarlet! haha. She doesn't seem to take on alot of roles though. Others I like are Han Ye Ri, Kim Sun Ah, Soo Ae. Much lesser actresses cos I feel that many of them are 1) limited by the scripts given which reduce them to candies or characters only there for their looks 2) many limit themselves by only taking on roles where they look good with no depth or challenge.