FTCU:

Me too, I just can’t handle that scene cos it’ll make me cry again. This is coming from someone who never cries at emotional scenes, I find them cringe. It really made me resent XY cos she hates being abandoned but was the first to abandon her lover.

Our XY was damaged and new  at "  being in  love"

Blueberries Field:

It's amusing when people treat their opinions as if they are facts or unquestionable true without considering alternative perspectives. 

Yes, there are many fans of Jing on MDL too, they are just not as loud as the other fans. I think when season 2 starts we will see more of them on the main page.

That's  all they can do. They bark and bark, repeat the same thing over and over  but all they are saying are  nothing related to the novel at all or the characters.

They come as a group in order to intimided.  when you take time to read what they write you realise that all of it it null.  That's what I find funny.

They will highlight  paragraphs of the novel  and they will twist it to fit they fantasy. 

They would even throw Shakespeare  in the mix to sound knowledgeable 🤣

They are a funny bunch.

peng-peng:

That's  all they can do. They bark and bark, repeat the same thing over and over  but all they are saying are  nothing related to the novel at all or the characters.

They come as a group in order to intimided.  when you take time to read what they write you realise that all of it it null.  That's what I find funny.

They will highlight  paragraphs of the novel  and they will twist it to fit they fantasy. 

They would even throw Shakespeare  in the mix to sound knowledgeable 🤣

They are a funny bunch.

Add this to the list: They may come at you in droves; bullies 🤣 

Lmao that’s why I like it here, I may pop out in the main section during Jing’s proposal just to shove it in their faces, cos yah I’m petty like that lmao

FTCU:

Lmao that’s why I like it here, I may pop out in the main section during Jing’s proposal just to shove it in their faces, cos yah I’m petty like that lmao

We are waiting for this. I am  have some scenes I am ready to gloat about in the main section. Lmao already.

peng-peng:
the thing  is XY was thinking of going away with XL before her wedding to FLg . If XL had turned up she would have. I agree that she would not let anyone harm ZX, but she also was putting him in danger. She knew that Bei tried to kill ZX, she knew that he was XL. She never once shared these information with ZX at all.  Nobody knew that she was making all the poisons for XL. Her poison made his blood so poisonous that she could not even create a cure against it. She only realised this when FengLong died. If it had been ZX I do not know what she would have done to herself because she was partially responsible for it.   Also she knew that XL was using the bug connection to kind of keep tab on were ZX could be if around her. 

FTCU:

@peng

Actually ZX later found out FFB was XL,but as long as he wasn’t harming XY he didn’t do anything. He even told XY that knows FFB & xl are the same person, also she shouldn’t get too attached to him cos they’re enemies & are bound to go to war soon. XY even told ZX to spare xl & said as long as he surrenders, he won’t kill him. If it was the then XY, she wouldn’t have asked ZX so spare xl,but has been affected by Jing’s kindness, she decided to do the same for someone who tried to kill her cousin again but FengLong took his place.

I don't want to intrude into a YaoJing thread with too much XL content, but my interpretation for some of these points in the novel was a bit different, and for me there are some important YaoJing / TSJ-related aspects that I think might be of interest to the participants in this thread. 

Please feel free to ignore this if it does not interest you, or to disagree if you have a different interpretation. 

---

Between chapter 15 and chapter 16, XY gradually came to feel that FFB no longer posed a direct threat to CX. At that point, she did not know that FFB was XL.

She found out that FFB was XL in chapter 17. In that chapter CX referred to XL as his "friend" in the sense that XL was acting as the enemy of CX's enemy (Fifth Prince Cang Lin) at the time. At that point, XY still seemed to feel that XL/FFB did not pose a direct / immediate threat to CX, which turned out to be an accurate conclusion for almost 100 years (the period between chapter 15 and chapter 46). She did still ask CX to find out as much information as he could about FFB, just in case. 

In the time that XL was FFB, there were numerous occassions where FFB was in the same household or attended the same event as CX without attempting to harm CX. 

And, in chapter 21 and chapter 22, CX and XL interacted without XL threatening CX because of XY's circumstances. CX told XY about that after XL woke her up. 

After chapter 32, FFB was "dead", so XY likely assumed that there wouldn't be any benefit for her to tell CX that FFB was XL at that point. He was already worried enough by the bug connection between them.

When XL targeted CX in chapter 46, some important things had changed. 

First (the key TSJ-related aspect I mentioned), CX was responsible for TSJ's death in chapter 42, which devastated XY and also took her "person to rely on" (one of the three things he intended to make sure she had before he died, as was mentioned in XL's epilogue) away from her. It showed that CX would do anything to force XY to stay by his side forever, even at the expense of XY's happiness. TSJ's death also made XY vulnerable and nearly led to her death in chapter 43. At that point (chapter 46), XL knew what CX had done and XY did not. So when it came to CX, XY was no longer just her close brother. He was the person who posed the biggest threat to XY's long-term happiness. That meant that XL no longer had to hold back from harming CX for XY's sake, and XL would have been motivated to ensure that XY would be free from CX's iron grip on her before XL died / that when XL used the jewel that he made from XY's blood (retrieved from her in the same chapter - chapter 46) to save TSJ and bring him back for XY, CX wouldn't come between them again. IMO, that is why XL gives XY the hints she needs to realize (and then confirm for herself) that CX was the person behind the plot to kill TSJ. 

Note that we are shown evidence that XL had been planning to revive TSJ (and to obtain XY's blood in order to do so) for a long time. After TSJ fell unconscious and disappeared in the ocean, he was gone for seven years (six and a half years at the time that XL created the blood jewel) and his body was kept safe during all of that time. And on the same night that XL collected XY's blood and turned it into the jewel that would be used to revive TSJ, the merman summoned by XL appeared with a custom-made shell that had been created by the Jin Tian family specifically to keep that jewel in. 

Second, the war between Xuan Yuan and Gao Xing was over and Xuan Yuan was focusing more effort on eliminating the Shengnong remnant army, so the conflict between Xuan Yuan and the Shengnong remnant army was entering its final stages. This meant that XL knew his time was now quite limited and he needed to push XY to cut ties with him sooner rather than later so that she would not be devastated by his death when it came and she would be able to have "a lifetime of worry-free happiness" with TSJ when XL brought him back. Killing CX, or at least making XY believe that he had tried to kill CX, was an important step that he needed to take in order to push XY to cut ties with him in chapter 46. 

And third, CX left Shengnong Mountain (the capital) and went to visit the Xuan Yuan military encampment in QS Town. By visiting the military encampment personally, he entered the arena of war and made himself a target that perhaps XL could not ignore in good conscience given his obligations as a leader of the Shengnong remnant army. In chapter 7, when XY asked XL why he had to kill CX, he mentioned his sense of obligation to do his part given his position in the Shengnong remnant army. 

A few other, semi-related points:

It's possible that XL might not have really been trying to kill CX in chapter 46. 

• XL had the world-reknowned archery skills of the Fangfeng family and (as XY demonstrated in chapter 44, when she used the archery skills that he taught her) they can shoot arrows with highly unusual trajectories. XL also had the advantage of catching CX by surprise, shooting from above, and shooting from relatively close range. 
  • Immediately after Feng Long was killed, the Xuan Yuan army fought against the Shengnong remnant army. Both XL and CX fought in that battle and XL did not try to kill CX then.
  • Angering XY by appearing to target CX and by actually killing Feng Long (and further pushing her when they met at Hu Lu Lake) and then giving her enough information to figure out that CX was responsible for TSJ's death and also collecting the blood he needed to revive TSJ got XL everything he wanted without causing XY to have to suffer over CX's actual death (which, as peng-peng mentioned, XY likely would have blamed herself for). 
  • Feng Long helped Xing Yue try to kill XY in chapter 44. 

CX had long thought that XY's relationship with XL was strange, but he didn't realize and confirm that XL was FFB until chapter 50 (after XY's marriage with TSJ), when XY begged CX to spare XL's life. At that point, CX put two and two together. When he realized that XL was FFB, he asked XY outright if XL was FFB and she confirmed that he was. 

XY did not realize that XL might be able to use the bug connection to detect her presence in the Xuan Yuan military encampment and that he might also conclude that CX would be with her until after it happened. 

-----

Chapter 16:

Fang Feng Bei was very casual so when he came looking for Xiao Yao, if she was up in Cao Yun Peak then he would go up Xuan Yuan Mountain and ask a guard to summon her. Xiao Yao felt no need to conceal anything so their coming and going together was soon spread all over Xuan Yuan Castle that the Gao Xing Eldest Princess and the Fang Feng family’s second son was very close.

Even Zhuan Xu teased her. “I just got you back and want you around a few more years. Don’t get lured off by that Fang Feng family playboy.”

Xiao Yao stuck her tongue out at him. “As long as he can shoot you with an arrow, I’ll never run away with him.”

Without her realizing it, a year had passed.

Xiao Yao was confused and didn’t know what Fang Feng Bei was thinking. She thought he taught her archery as an excuse to get close to her. She thought him taking her out to play was a technique to get into a woman’s heart. But he was very serious when he taught her and every time Xiao Yao was learning archery she really respected him as her teacher.

When they were out playing, it was like the two of them were just enjoying life. Two people who didn’t care about anything, who were willing to try everything, became partners venturing out into the dizzying world. Many things in life, it feels different doing it alone or with a companion. Dining, no matter how delicious, just doesn’t taste as good alone. Xiao Yao believed Fang Feng Bei also understood how she felt which is why he never hesitated and introduced her to everything he could think of and then took her to experience it.

Xiao Yao sometimes felt Fang Feng Bei was like a child who was lonely for too long. He had played with too many toys alone and it was no longer interesting. Now he had a companion, he couldn’t wait to take her to play, to experience what he tried. It appeared just casual but was in truth very sincere.

Gradually, Xiao Yao started sincerely eating, drinking, and being merry with him. As long as Fang Feng Bei wasn’t aiming a bow and arrow at Zhuan Xu, then he wasn’t her enemy.

-----

Chapter 17:

Last night, when she realised he was Xiang Liu, she felt no surprise at all. It was as if that was how it was meant to be, and the heavy burden in one corner of her heart was lifted, but weighed down at the same time in another part of her.

“What happened the night before?”

“Something was stolen. The map to Cang Lin and Yu Yang’s residences. Likely things they can’t let other people know so they are freaking out. But I don’t think the thief’s target was them, but instead another two maps that don’t appear important. Xuan Yuan has secret weapons and rations depots in the Middle Plains to guard against sudden war. I’m guessing someone has their eyes on the weapons and rations.”

Xiao Yao was silent for a moment. “Want to tell Grandfather?”

“Why tell him? If Xiang Liu sent someone to steal it, then the Sheng Nong resistance army is Cang Lin and Yu Yang’s problem, not mine. The enemy of my enemy is my friend.”

Xiao Yao relaxed. “Gege, help me do something. I want to know everything about Fang Feng Bei, from birth until now.”

Zhuan Xu stared, “You…..you can’t really be seduced by him?”

Xiao Yao couldn’t stand his probing stare so she turned her face. “I’m just curious so can you help me.”

“Fine.” For Xiao Yao to be interested, Zhuan Xu was now curious.

-----

Chapter 43:

Xiao Yao stayed wide awake, her eyes staring at the canopy above. She was deciding between telling or not telling Zhuan Xu, and decided not to tell him. She couldn’t confirm it was Xing Yue and Feng Long, or either of them, or someone learned the details and decided to set them up as the culprits. Plus this matter involved the Lover’s Bug linking her and Xiang Liu, to explain now would require going back tens of years to what happened. Zhuan Xu was against her getting close to Xiang Liu from the beginning and she had promised Zhuan Xu she wouldn’t have any further contact with Xiang Liu. She downplayed the bug connection between them until that lie became a snowball that had only grown larger and larger.

-----

Chapter 44:

Six masked men walked out of the forest. They saw Xiao Yao sitting there unable to even walk and relaxed their stance. They clearly were told Xiao Yao had weak powers so laughed when they saw her pulling back her bow string.

A silver arrow was released going from low to high, it grazed the thigh of one before lodging in the arm of another. Another arrow flew forth, the trajectory weird as well, whizzing by the ear of two and leaving a thin blood trail before embedding in the eye of a third.

Two arrows and five people! Xiao Yao did the best she could!

-----

Chapter 46:

“Are you thinking about Xiang Liu?”

Xiao Yao looked down and said nothing.

Zhuan Xu said, “I know you have some connection with him, and truthfully I’m rather admiring of his ability and loyalty. I’m even envious of Gong Gong’s fierce and unbending connection with him, but the Sheng Nong Kingdom is a thing of the past……….I have to eliminate them!”

“I know.” Xiao Yao was fully aware that Zhuan Xu did everything he could already to have them safely submit. The Xuan Yuan Kingdom had to fight this war, and for the Sheng Nong resistance army this would be a form of release. Zhuan Xu is doing nothing wrong, as the ruler of a kingdom he had to snuff out the final pocket of resistance, but Gong Gong and Xiang Liu were also not wrong in sticking with their loyalty and beliefs.

Zhuan Xu sighed. “No matter my admiration for Xiang Liu, we stand on opposite sides so I hope you don’t have any further ties with him.”

Xiao Yao said, “Don’t worry, I know!” It was because it was so clear since the very beginning, that’s why Xiang Liu kept reminding her, and she kept reminding herself, that she and Xiang Liu could never be friends.

Feng Long came to see Xiao Yao at Xiao Yue Peak right before he set off to war.

The last time they saw each other was four years ago when Feng Long came with Xing Yue and Chang, and since then Xiao Yao hadn’t seen him or asked about what happened to Xing Yue. In Xiao Yao’s mind, these people appeared to have vanished for the last few years.

Xiao Yao took Feng Long for a walk in the forest so as to not disturb the Yellow Emperor’s rest. Feng Long was silent on the walk and Xiao Yao thought about him leading an army to surround Gong Gong and Xiang Liu so she wasn’t in the mood to talk either. The two wordlessly walked all the way to the top of the mountain.

Xiao Yao stared silently at Feng Long who said, “Back then I really did plan on helping my sister kill you. The tens of assassins that he killed were all my best guards sent to kill you.”

Left Ear interjected, “I didn’t kill them all, Xiao Yao killed them with me.”

Feng Long said, “No wonder! I was wondering with their powers there would be no reason they would all lose just to one person.”

Left Ear said nothing else, so Feng Long turned to Xiao Yao. “You knew that I was trying to kill you, right?”

Since Feng Long was so candid then Xiao Yao didn’t want to deny it. “I overheard your conversation with Xing Yue, you two were so agitated and not careful enough.”

Xiao Yao sighed loudly, “You guys think His Majesty does whatever I ask but that’s only because I know him too well and never ask for something he won’t agree to. Like before when he attacked Gao Xing, and now when he’s going to attack…” Xiao Yao stopped herself before continuing “I’m well aware that even if I ask him not to attack he will not agree.” That’s why this time, unlike when he attacked Gao Xing and she was angry at him, now she could only silently and despondently look on as Zhuan Xu sent an army to attack Gong Gong and Xiang Liu’s resistance army.

“Aren’t you going to wish me luck as I head to war?”

If she wished Feng Long luck, then where was she putting Xiang Liu? Xiao Yao grew silent and then shook her head. “This is you men stuff and doesn’t involve me. I can’t stop you so I won’t say anything about it.”

Feng Long chuckled before bidding farewell, “Fine! Then I’m off now! Let’s have a drink when I return victorious!”

Xiao Yao gestured farewell back and watched as Feng Long flew off towards the direction of the army encampment.

Tomorrow Feng Long would depart with a great army and Xiao Yao kept reminding herself over and over again – It had nothing to do with her! But why did it still hurt so much!

“Your Majesty, I beg you to please forgive Xing Yue. I was also involved in the plan to kill Xiao Yao in Sheng Nong Mountain and truly have no face to even ask you this. But I truly cannot rest in peace worrying about Xing Yue. She……she seems smart but is actually a very stupid girl, she is resentful of our father and won’t listen to me now. I…….” Feng Long’s face was rigid and his voice choppy but he kept staring intently at Zhuan Xu.

Zhuan Xu said nothing, finally understanding why Feng Long wanted to lead this war.

The Xuan Yuan army was a mess, having lost its leading general. Xian was so intent on getting revenge for Feng Long, she ignored Yu Jiang’s orders and rushed into battle, losing badly to Xiang Liu.

Zhuan Xu revealed himself at the critical moment and revived the flagging morale of the Xuan Yuan army, salvaging the defeat but at a great cost, with Xiang Liu taking half the provisions and burning the remaining.

He was cut off by the arrival of Yu Jiang who cut to the chase and immediately said, “I couldn’t say this in front of others but yesterday Xiang Liu arrived too fast so there must be a spy beside Your Majesty or a problem with the commanding ranks. Either one is a major concern and needs to be fully investigated, but it will be hard to do with everyone unsettled right now.”

Zhuan Xu said, “I’ll handle it, you needn’t think more of it.”

“No wonder Your Majesty didn’t mention it, you already have a plan to address it.” Yu Jiang was relieved and excused himself.

After Yu Jiang left Xiao Yao said, “I must have lured Xiang Liu here.”

Zhuan Xu asked, “Still that bug?”

“Yes, when I arrived my heart hurt when I saw Jing’s old residence. With his brilliance, he must have deduced that you also came.”

Tears pooled in Xiao Yao’s eyes but she controlled them from falling. Zhuan Xu patted Xiao Yao’s hand. “Feng Long’s death is not your fault. Don’t blame yourself. I was too careless.”

Xiao Yao bit her lip and said nothing.

If Feng Long hadn’t taken that arrow for Zhuan Xu, it would be Zhuan Xu who was dead now! Thinking of the person turning black being Zhuan Xu, Xiao Yao’s body shivered in fear. She was always aware that Xiang Liu and her stood on opposing sides, but with Feng Long’s death today before her eyes, she finally understood the stark reality – Xiang Liu is Zhuan Xu’s enemy! He could kill Zhuan Xu!

He lifted his head and pressed it right next to her face and said softly, “It’s been six years since Jing died, right? You still haven’t accepted his death. On this trip to Qing Shui Town you didn’t even pay a visit to the last place he was at before he died.”

Xiao Yao glared in rage at Xiang Liu who acted nonchalant and continued to stroke her neck while smiling down at her and talking like it was a random chat between friends. “Even before I knew you, I was already doing business with Tu Shan Jing for hundreds of years. He’s not a vindictive person, but he’s also not a weak fool. In hundreds of years, I’ve never once taken any advantage from him. He can time and again endure Tu Shan Hou only because he treats Tu Shan Hou as a relative. When he banished Tu Shan Hou to Gao Xing, he was well aware that the fracture between them would not end that easily. With Tu Shan Jing’s smarts, he would have been keeping guard against Tu Shan Hou still. He would have assigned someone to track Tu Shan Hou at all times in Gao Xing, and prevent him from growing his power again. That way if Tu Shan Hou still wants to kill Jing, he couldn’t even attempt it.”

In the dark silent night, Xiang Liu’s voice was clear and low like that of a lover. “Xiao Yao, do you agree with my analysis?”

Xiao Yao gritted her teeth. “What are you trying to get at?”

Xiang Liu laughed and gently said, “I just wanted to say that Tu Shan Jing may not be vindictive, but he also won’t take anything lying down either. Do you agree?”

Xiao Yao spat out, “What if you’re right?”

Xiang Liu continued, “Even under Tu Shan Jing’s assigned surveillance, Tu Shan Hou managed to shake it and sneak to Qing Shui Town and secretly contact Fang Feng Yi Yang to set the trap. But at that time, there were many Tu Shan Jing’s people in Qing Shui Town as well, the guards keeping an eye on Fang Feng Yi Yang and the guards protecting Tu Shan Zhen. You may not be aware but the Tu Shan clan trained guards are top rate, the clan does business so isn’t into battling but in terms of protection the guards are exceptionally skilled. As a killer for hire, I once saw a Tu Shan clan guard in action and after that I made a decision that, unless my adopted father’s life was in danger, I would never attempt to kill any Tu Shan clan leader.”

Xiao Yao appeared to finally be processing what Xiang Liu was saying and listened raptly, and Xiang Liu slowed down his words. “Tu Shan Hou’s men not only killed all the guards keeping an eye on Fang Feng Yi Yang, but also the thirty top guards Tu Shan Jing brought along to protect him. The remaining few who survived were rounded up by even more powerful foes so they couldn’t go save Tu Shan Jing. To dispatch so many top-notch Tu Shan clan guards, how many even more powerful fighters would that have required? Tu Shan Hou was banished to a life of no money or connections, and under tight surveillance, how could he have commanded so many people to pull this off. If Tu Shan Jing was stupid and careless enough to have let Hou pull this off, then all I can say is that for the past hundreds of years, I was dealing with a totally different Tu Shan Jing.”

Xiao Yao raised her head to stare at Xiang Liu “What are you trying to say?”

Xiang Liu laughed and said nonchalantly, “Tu Shan Jing’s death appears like a brotherly feud, but in truth someone else wanted Tu Shan Jing dead. Without this person’s facilitation, then Tu Shan Hou could have never ever gotten close to Tu Shan Jing.”

Xiao Yao grabbed Xiang Liu’s wrist but her grip was so tight her entire body shook. She stared unblinking at Xiang Liu, with thrumming intensity in her eyes so strong it appeared that she was on the verge of lunging forward to kill Xiang Liu.

Xiang Liu continued to act like nothing was going on, his voice gentle but coldly firm. “Even if who that person is remains unknown, a reason to kill Tu Shan Jing boils down to conflict over position or personal vendetta. But it’s not easy to control so many top fighters to take down the Tu Shan clan trained guards. If you carefully analyze it, it’s not hard to find the truth.”

Xiao Yao’s body went slack and she almost toppled over. Xiang Liu reached out to grab her but she screeched. “Don’t touch me!” before collapsing on the lake surface.

Xiang Liu sat down across from Xiao Yao staring intently at her. Xiao Yao’s eyes reflect her desolation in processing all this. “If you’ve known this all along, why did you tell me just now?”

Xiang Liu smiled. “There was no war before, what benefit to me if I told you all this?”

Xiao Yao’s heart shook, “Is it only Gong Gong, your great savior and benefactor, that matters to you? And everyone else is but a chess piece to you! Other than assessing what use that person has for you, nothing else matters? Before when people called you cold and calculating, I always thought……. Now, I really agree!

Xiang Liu smiled and shook his head at Xiao Yao, like staring at a mentally slow child. “I’ve always been a cold-blooded monster. It’s not that I’m heartless now, it’s that you’re an idiot for thinking otherwise!”

Xiao Yao collapsed on the edge of the urn as her blood continued to flow into it. Left Ear said, “No matter what she owes you, this blood is more than enough payment!”

Xiang Liu coldly smiled back. “She’s not dead yet!”

Xiao Yao forced a devastated smile and gritted her teeth before taking her bow to slice open her other wrist so the blood could flow faster. Both her hands were spilling blood into the urn and Xiao Yao had no strength to open her eyes anymore so all she could hear was the sound of blood flowing.

After a moment Xiang Liu said quietly, “You can take her back now.”

Xiao Yao lifted her head to stare at Xiang Liu. “You should take as much as you can tonight. After tonight, you and I are strangers – for this life and this lifetime, I never ever want to see you again!”

Because of the blood loss, Xiao Yao couldn’t even see anymore, so she didn’t get to see Xiang Liu’s expression, all she heard was him say again, “Take her home now!”

Xiao Yao fainted dead away, and the tears she was struggling to hold in finally fell from her eyes and splashed down her cheeks into the urn, causing a ripple.

Xiang Liu silently stared at the blood in the urn as the ripples spread out.

Left Ear kneeled down and bowed silently to Xiang Liu before taking Xiao Yao away.

Xiang Liu didn’t move or say a word, only staring at the urn with the same plastered smile on his face. He could see clearly the glistening blood inside, beautiful in its power. He stretched his palms forward and conjured up power, a blue green light glowed around him like stars and the urn gradually got smaller and smaller until it became a blood red jewel the size of a pigeon’s egg. Xiang Liu held it in his hand, and turning the blood into a jewel appeared to have sapped Xiang Liu of his power and his face was pale and his hands shook. He closed his eyes and pursed his lips, and after some time he was able to make a call that only the water tribes could hear.

After some time, a ripple appeared on the water’s surface and a merman rode the waves up to Xiang Liu. He stopped before Xiang Liu and bowed respectfully.

Xiang Liu handed the red blood jewel to the merman who carefully received it and placed it into a blue shell that was custom made by the Jin Tian family for this jewel. Xiang Liu spoke to the merman in the mer language, and the merman listened to Xiang Liu’s instructions before nodding and bowing to Xiang Liu. He turned and rode the waves towards the direction of the ocean.

-----

Chapter 47:

Xiao Yao flopped on the pallet and noticed Left Ear behind Miao Pu, his dark eyes were glinting like a predator and staring intently at Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao asked, “What do you want to say?”

Left Ear angrily said, “It’s not Xiang Liu! There is one very powerful person you missed.”

Xiao Yao blinked in shock. There was someone she couldn’t think of that Left Ear knew. “Who?”

“His Majesty.”

Xiao Yao bolted up and furiously scowled. “What nonsense are you spouting!”

Left Ear looked confused and asked, “Did I say anything wrong? His Majesty is not powerful? Then my understanding of power is wrong?”

Xiao Yao’s anger lessened seeing Left Ear like this, so she patiently explained, “His Majesty is very powerful, yes, and he can be considered the most powerful person in the entire world. But you’re not understanding what I’m trying to find out, His Majesty has nothing to do…” Xiao Yao glanced at Miao Pu who ran out of the room with her hands over her ears, “His Majesty has no conflict with Jing, and even less profit to gain from his death.”

Left Ear coolly said, “They have conflict with each other.”

Xiao Yao was so frustrated by now. “Do you know them better than me? Do you know what conflict means?”

“I do! Conflict is about fighting for the best home, the best land, the best prey.”

“Fine. So even if conflict as explained by beasts is true, what did Jing and His Majesty fight over?”

“Every Spring, aside from fighting over home, land, and prey, male beasts will fight over a female that the beasts both want. The more powerful the beasts, the more violent the fight.”

Xiao Yao finally understood what Left Ear was getting at and scowled “You, you…….”

Left Ear continued, “His Majesty and Jing both want you, and if neither is willing to give up then they can only fight it out.”

Xiao Yao slapped the pallet hard. “Complete nonsense! You get out!”

Left Ear immediately left and Xiao Yao got off the pallet to gulp down some water. “Nonsense! How can people be like beasts!”

Xiao Yao tried to put Left Ear’s words aside, but gradually it started to eat away at her when she continued investigating Jing’s death. Zhuan Xu would enter her thoughts and Xiao Yao would immediately try to force it away as impossible. But gradually little details she missed started to emerge and take on a whole new meaning.

Zhuan Xu kept trying not to think about what Feng Long said before he died but his words gnawed at him. Right now his frustration burst forth and Zhuan Xu impatiently said, “Even if Jing is a million ways perfect, what’s the point of telling me this? No matter what, Jing is dead!”

With a bang the wine cup in Xiao Yao’s hand shattered.

Xiao Yao stared at Zhuan Xu as images flashed through her mind – Left Ear talking about male beasts fighting for the female, her telling Zhuan Xu to never let the girl go once he finds the one he loves, Xiang Liu saying with a laugh that Jing’s death appears a brotherly fight on the surface but in truth a very powerful person wanted Jing dead.

Xiao Yao’s tears fell, one after another like pearls, hitting Zhuan Xu’s hand so he raised his head and worriedly asked, “What is it? Does it hurt that much?”

Xiao Yao said nothing, only silently crying.

Zhuan Xu frantically asked “Xiao Yao, Xiao Yao, where are you hurting? I’ll summon Yin immediately!”

Xiao Yao asked, “Was it you who sent people to Qing Shui Town to help Tu Shan Hou?”

Zhuan Xu froze momentarily before returning to normal, but he was holding Xiao Yao’s hand so she felt the jolt. Zhuan Xu asked, “Why are you asking this?”

“I want to know the truth. Zhuan Xu, did you send people to help Tu Shan Hou?”

Zhuan Xu wanted to deny it but his pride wouldn’t allow him to, so he said after a pause, “It was me!”

“It was you!” Xiao Yao thought she had experienced every type of pain in the world, but who knew the most painful thing in the world was the person you love taking a knife and carving out your heart. Every part of Xiao Yao hurt, her insides, her bones, her skin, her head, none of the pain she experienced in the past could hold a candle to this. She was in such pain she wanted to die. Xiao Yao closed her eyes, unable to look at Zhuan Xu. “Get out!”

“Xiao Yao.” Zhuan Xu tightly held onto her hand but her strength was shocking as she jerked her hand out of his and left a bloody gash where he just bandaged.

“Xiao Yao!”

“Get! Out!” Xiao Yao howled and flipped the table, shattering everything on the ground. Her face was ashen and her body teetered, like a leaf about to be consumed by churning waves.

Xiao Yao stared at her grandfather as her body swayed. “You knew! You’ve all been lying to me!” Zhuan Xu and the Yellow Emperor were her only blood relatives left, and now both betrayed her!

Xiao Yao felt unsettled, like Zhuan Xu was suddenly unfamiliar to her, or maybe it was that she never looked at him carefully before. All this time Zhuan Xu was Zhuan Xu to her, they laughed when happy, he carried her when she tired, he teased her when she pouted, he was a shoulder for her to lean on when she was in need, he could handle everything when she was in peril.

In Xiao Yao’s heart, Zhuan Xu was the closest person to her, so much so that she didn’t differentiate between him and her. If he wanted something then she would give her life to help him achieve it. From Five Gods Mountain to Xuan Yuan Mountain, from Xuan Yuan Mountain to Sheng Nong Mountain, whatever she had Zhuan Xu could have it, including her life. She always thought Zhuan Xu treated her the same way, that if she wanted something Zhuan Xu would get it for her, that if she treasured something Zhuan Xu would treasure it too.

But it was just her wishful thinking! So was she simply wrong about Zhuan Xu, or had he changed?

Xiao Yao ate a flower. “When Grandmother died, we vowed before my mom, your mom, Auntie Ju Li, we promised them that we would always take care of each other, together and never apart. I did it, but you didn’t! Gege, you didn’t do it!”

Zhuan Xu ate a flower. “I know I didn’t do it, but it’s not because I helped kill Jing. It’s because I was wrong from the very beginning! I should have never used you as a chess piece. I shouldn’t have given you to Jing in order to get the help of the Tu Shan and Chi Sui clans.”

Xiao Yao said, “Grandfather keeps trying to lecture me these days about the greater good but I’m not my mom. My heart is very small and can only fit the people I care about, it doesn’t fit the entire world. I used to pretend I cared but that’s only because you cared. But now I hate you, so none of that matters to me at all!”

Zhuan Xu smiled. “None of that needs to matter to you!”

Xiao Yao said, “That’s why it doesn’t matter what Grandfather says, I still have to kill you because you killed Jing. Do you understand?”

Zhuan Xu smiled and patted Xiao Yao’s head. “I understand!”

Xiao Yao handed Zhuan Xu a phoenix flower. “After I kill you then I will die with you.”

Zhuan Xu said, “That’s good, I won’t rest easy leaving you behind. The people who hate Qi Yo, all the women on Zhi Jin Summit, Yu Jiang and those loyal subordinates……..I don’t feel safe leaving you to face them so I’ll keep you by my side.”

-----

Chapter 49:

The Royal Mother’s expression was as if she already knew everything. Xiao Yao’s eyes teared up, the entire world belonged to Zhuan Xu and there was nowhere she could go to hide from him. Only Jade Mountain cut off from the entire world gave her a place to rest.

Xiao Yao said to Zhuan Xu, “I woke two days ago and the Royal Mother wanted to send a message to you but I stopped her. I decided that day to become the next Royal Mother and she was worried I was being rash so gave me three days to think about it before announcing it to the world so I can change my mind. Zhuan Xu, no one is forcing me, this is my own choice!”

Zhuan Xu grabbed Xiao Yao’s hand tightly like he was never going to let go. “Why?”

Xiao Yao smiled so casually, like this had nothing to do with her. “Zhuan Xu, how can you not know why? I could have lived like an ordinary girl, marrying and having kids, living a simple, happy life. You took it all away from me! I can’t kill you, I can’t kill myself, I can’t even leave! The whole world knows I am Qi Yo’s daughter, the whole world is under your rule – if I can avoid people trying to kill me, I still can’t avoid your forces to bring me back. Zhuan Xu, the world is so vast but you’ve pushed me to the point of being with you or having nowhere else to go!

Clearly the Royal Mother succession ceremony wasn’t going to be completed.

Jing looked over Xiao Yao’s Royal Mother outfit and his heart ached. “Thank god I was in time!”

Xiao Yao asked, “Where have you been all these years?”

Jing explained, “Hou forced me to duel and I secretly ate the life preserving pill you gave me beforehand. I wanted to jump into the water to escape and Hou kicking me in the water helped my plan along. But his kick was much stronger than expected and I fainted in the water. When I woke up it was five days ago at dawn on a deserted island in the East Sea. A mercouple saved me but I couldn’t communicate in their language. We communicated in gestures and I figured out that they found me unconscious in the ocean and didn’t know who I was or how to wake me. They placed me on the deserted island and fed me herbs from time to time. Luckily there are tons of strange treasures in the ocean and they accidentally chanced upon the right sea herbs to wake me up. I rushed back worried about you and only then did I learn seven years had passed. The Yellow Emperor told me you were not on Sheng Nong Mountain and told me to rush to Jade Mountain.”

Xiao Yao wiped her tears. “I want to thank the mercouple that saved you.”

Jing sighed, “Merpeople live in the vast ocean without a set residence. When I left and asked how I could find them again, they just pointed to the ocean so I don’t even know how to find them again.”

-----

Chapter 50:

The Royal Mother asked Xiao Yao and Jing, “What are your plans next?”

Jing looked at Xiao Yao who smiled back. “Your Highness said that where one’s heart is at ease then that is home. The world is so vast, we will find a place for us away from it all.

Inside the peach blossom forest, Sir Bi asked, “Things happened so quickly to ask what happened, but who saved you, Jing, and why so long before coming back?

Jing explained about the mercouple in the East Sea and Sir Bi’s mind roiled after hearing it. The Nine-headed demon is the supreme power in the ocean, totally able to command the merpeople to do his bidding. And finding merpeople who could not communicate in the human language, and who lived in the vast ocean, Xiang Liu was cruel and brilliant in saving Jing without ever leaving a way to be discovered.

Walking them out, Xiao Yao suddenly called out, “Gege, can I speak privately with you?”

Everyone continued walking, leaving Xiao Yao standing there with Zhuan Xu as she said, “I heard that Ru So’s relentless attack has backed Gong Gong’s army into a corner.”

Zhuan Xu said, “I was planning on a slow attrition to minimize casualties, but Feng Long’s death has left me no choice but to launch a full on assault.”

Xiao Yao said, “Gege, can you……can you……spare Xiang Liu?”

Zhuan Xu was shocked. “He killed Feng Long, don’t you want to avenge his death?”

“Killing Xiang Liu won’t bring Feng Long back.”

Zhuan Xu stared long and hard at Xiao Yao as she continued, “I know you are in a tough spot, but I’ve never asked you for a favor when it’s difficult for you. This is my first, and last time, begging you for something.”

“Is Xiang Liu Fang Feng Bei?” Zhuan Xu appeared to be asking Xiao Yao but his expression was certain.

Xiao Yao didn’t want to hide it anymore and woefully nodded.

“So that’s it! No wonder I’ve felt that certain things were so odd, but now it all makes sense. Are you two still seeing each other?”

“We’ve severed all ties. I never want to see him again in this lifetime and he certainly will also never want to see me. But no matter how he’s treated me……..I…..I still want him to stay alive.”

Zhuan Xu took a deep breath. “Xiang Liu killed Feng Long and I need to give a reckoning to the Chi Sui clan and Sheng Nong tribe, otherwise it cannot appease the Middle Plains. But, as long as Xiang Liu is willing to stop, I can give him a chance to disappear.”

“Disappear” doesn’t mean “die”, so this meant Zhuan Xu agreed with her pleading. Xiao Yao smiled brightly. “Thank you Gege!”

“Don’t thank me. Grandfather and I tried countless times to bring Xiang Liu to our side and I even gave him carte blanche to name his terms. But he would never abandon or betray Gong Gong. Actually all this time it’s not I who wouldn’t stop, it’s him who wouldn’t stop. If he vows to fight to the death, then there is nothing I can do. I can’t sacrifice Ru So and the soldiers. His life is a life, but so are the lives of those fighting for me.”

Xiao Yao bit her lip and lowered her head as she quietly said, “I know.”

Zhuan Xu patted her on the shoulder. “He chose his path and now you’ve chosen yours and have done all you can do. I think you’ve done enough for the friendship. No matter what happens, you can forget him and forget it all!”

Xiao Yao nodded her head.

-----

Chapter 51:

Xiao Yao kept talking and crying until gradually her words trailed off and she curled tightly in Jing’s arms and stared at the tall Phoenix Flower Tree. Blooms of red fell to the ground carried by the wind as if frames of each memory passing by. No matter how beautiful, it would all pass with the wind.

Xiao Yao wearily closed her eyes. “Jing, I want to leave!”

“Where shall we go?”

To the ocean! The millions of miles of ocean and unending horizon. Xiang Liu said there were endless uninhabited and uncharted islands, perhaps we can find a beautiful island to call home.”

“Sure!”

The Grand Emperor’s heart was sorrowful but also a sense of letting go.

Xiao Yao had the most noble and royal lineage in the entire world. Her mom tried to break free from it with all her might but she didn’t succeed. But now Xiao Yao succeeded.

Xiao Yao had the Face Forming Flower and Jing was the descendant of the Nine Tailed Fox. Once they departed, they could disappear forever.

-----

XL's Epilogue:

The final battle was about to arrive. 

After Xiang Liu carefully and precisely finished carving the doll, he intently inspected it and was pleased. He turned the doll head down on his knee and opened the bottom to take out a crystal ball.

A clear crystal ball wrapped around an ocean tableau inside. The glittering waves had colorful fishes swimming, red coral, and a large white clamshell open like a resplendent flower. A beautiful mermaid rested sideways on the clamshell, her hair flowing like seaweed and her entrancing fish tail resting half against the white surface and half in the water. A man stood next to her, holding the mermaid’s extended hand and smiling as he gazed down at the mermaid. In the corner of the tableau a merman floated in the ocean, he appeared close to the clamshell but his distant pose made him seem like he was actually in another world and not in the same calm and serene ocean.

Xiang Liu stared at the crystal ball for some time longer before his fingernail extended into a sharp knife and he swiftly inscribed two lines of words on the ball in very small letters. Just then the moon shone through the trees and landed on the crystal ball and the two lines of words next to the merman were legible: The ability to take care of yourself, someone to rely on, a place to go – wishing you a lifetime of worry free happiness!

He put the doll into a bag and tied it to Furball’s back. Furball coo’d to ask and Xiang Liu replied, “Go to Jade Mountain, tell Ah Bi that this is his wedding present to Xiao Yao.”

Remembering our first meeting in Qing Shui Town, you were full of tricks, with a mouth full of made-up crap. But the only thing you said that was true was: I have no ability to protect myself, no one to rely on, and nowhere to go.

After over ten years of teaching you archery, you now have the ability to protect yourself. You don’t need to use your own body to protect someone you treasure when danger is around. The right man for you. You now have someone to rely on. You don’t have to be all alone anymore with solitude as your companion. The sky is vast and oceans deep. You now have a place to go and don’t need to be chased by people and be without a place to call home.

Xiang Liu thought to himself: Xiao Yao, from now on I can no longer stand watch to protect you. You have to take good care of yourself. Wishing you a lifetime of worry free happiness!

AH :
Remembering our first meeting in Qing Shui Town, you were full of tricks, with a mouth full of made-up crap. But the only thing you said that was true was: I have no ability to protect myself, no one to rely on, and nowhere to go.

Hi, AH! Thanks for quoting all those passages - these final chapters are some of the ones I have reread the most and loved from the novel. There's so much there - all of the intertwined stories and characters come to a full climax and their respective endings - some sweet, some bitter or bittersweet.

AH :
The right man for you. You now have someone to rely on. You don’t have to be all alone anymore with solitude as your companion. 

Looking forward to seeing our Tushan Jing fulfill this on screen! He and XY deserve as XL puts it "a lifetime of worry-free happiness"

Sunbath12:
Hi, AH! Thanks for quoting all those passages

Hi Sunbath12! Thank you for reading. I know it's a lot of text. ^^"

Sunbath12:
these final chapters are some of the ones I have reread the most and loved from the novel. There's so much there - all of the intertwined stories and characters come to a full climax and their respective endings - some sweet, some bitter or bittersweet.

Same. I really hope that whatever changes S2 ends up making, they are as minimal as possible and we still get an end product that does justice to the novel's ending!

Sunbath12:
Looking forward to seeing our Tushan Jing fulfill this on screen! He and XY deserve as XL puts it "a lifetime of worry-free happiness"

I think even last year there were leaked BTS shots of XY and TSJ being seen off by the King of Haoling and Ah Nian when they left together? So I'm assuming at least that part when they leave together and free themselves from the lives / worlds that had caused them so many worries and so much suffering must still be preserved in the drama. 

Also apparently ZX killing Jing will be an illusion his grandfather will put him under,  while xinyue will be the one to collude with hou to kill Jing….but he’ll survive by taking the emergency pill XY made for him ,while he sends his puppet to fight Hou. Guess there’ll be some changes there. Hey as long as Jing survives on his own without anyone’s help,I’m good cos I REALLY didn’t like the way tonghua wrote how Jing survived.

AH :
It's possible that XL might not have really been trying to kill CX in chapter 46. 

Hi AH! It's good to see you here. My 2 cents: if this were the case - that XL did not really intend to kill CX (who was the king of Xiyan at that point ?) - that would mean that, as the leader of the Shengnong army, he would have betrayed the army. I would imagine that killing the enemy king in a war would make a big difference. It comes down to choosing between loyalty to his army or his love for XY.

AH :
Remembering our first meeting in Qing Shui Town, you were full of tricks, with a mouth full of made-up crap. But the only thing you said that was true was: I have no ability to protect myself, no one to rely on, and nowhere to go.

After over ten years of teaching you archery, you now have the ability to protect yourself. You don’t need to use your own body to protect someone you treasure when danger is around. The right man for you. You now have someone to rely on. You don’t have to be all alone anymore with solitude as your companion. The sky is vast and oceans deep. You now have a place to go and don’t need to be chased by people and be without a place to call home.

Xiang Liu thought to himself: Xiao Yao, from now on I can no longer stand watch to protect you. You have to take good care of yourself. Wishing you a lifetime of worry free happiness!

The epilogue always breaks my heart. I read it last year, and it still has the same effect on me. 

Blueberries Field:

Hi AH! It's good to see you here. My 2 cents: if this were the case - that XL did not really intend to kill CX (who was the king of Xiyan at that point ?) - that would mean that, as the leader of the Shengnong army, he would have betrayed the army. I would imagine that killing the enemy king in a war would make a big difference. It comes down to choosing between loyalty to his army or his love for XY.

I think XL did really intend to kill CX which might give his army a chance to win again. As CX death may leave war for throne again.  I still did not find XL attempt to kill CX in chapter 46 as his love for XY. XL had witness on how XY would risks her life to maintain CX life many times. That is the reason why he was able to make WXL beg for him to remove the bug thing and planted in him instead in chapter 7.  I'd rather say its for his army killing CX in a way that he was doing. He was using his own poison blood (which XY may had made for him to get more of poison strength). We see and witness how deadly it effected Fenglong. I mean with if its CX who died and with Xy thinking  that her soul trusted friend, whom she had made such delicious poison for, able  to kill her beloved brother in such a way. And yes XL also used their connection of bug to find their place too. It will all left her the  feeling she was responsible for the death of her brother, whom she would protect with life, Even with Jing being alive, I dont think XY will live with peace of mind with that thinking. 

I do not know why we would think XL did not intend to kill CX.    Is there any facts to  XL thinking that? NO!!

And as for XL finally let the mer couple wake Jing up with Xiao Yao'blood is only after his actions led to breakup between him and XY. There is never mention of XL planning or involving before that.  

"I've seen some criticism of XY saying after she helps CX win the throne, she has no goals or aspirations, etc.  " @sunbath12

I have seen similar accusations... She just lost enthusiasm for life, like how Ah nian had told her before...
I just found it a little funny because when she handed her advice to her sister back then and she couldn't understand, why ah nian was so despondent over Cangxuan... "Isn't it just a man?"
And later she would find that statement coming back to bite her too ...

Sorry I am trying to quote but the MDL system just won't let me... is it because my account is not levelled up enough hmm