Wait so if Tushan Jing has seen Xiang Liu without his mask several time in Qingshui Town, then how did he not realize that Fangfeng Bei looks just like Xiang Liu?

Kokuto:
This must be a mistake on XY's part.  For her 8 tailed fox to be the King of the Foxes, he'd have to be a Tushan, right?

AH :
Jing asked, “Have you ever been to Qing Qiu?”

“No, for a while I hated the Nine-tailed fox and legend has it the Nine-tailed fox came from Qing Qiu so I hated Qing Qiu as well. Twice I bypassed it.” Xiao Yao suddenly was very worried. “The Nine-tailed fox I killed, it wasn’t one of your relatives?”

“He probably was.” The Nine-tailed fox was very rare, and the few existing ones really were all relatives of the Tu Shan clan.

XY asked TSJ about it and he confirmed that the nine-tailed (or eight-tailed) fox that captured her (that she later killed) probably was a relative of his, as the few existing nine-tailed foxes were all relatives of the Tushan clan. 

Kokuto:
Again, I don't get the impression that the Tushan 9 tailed fox ancestor was a demon.  He may have been the first, primal, a progenitor or something else, like a phoenix, which I don't think are demons either.

Seems possible. The original text is probably a better source for clarity about when the term demon is used vs. other terms. 

Kokuto:
In the same way, I think Xiang Liu is also the first of his kind, unique, singular, and primal.  I say this in part, because originally, he was the symbol for natural disaster of flooding.  Or maybe he was, 'just a demon.'

When liddi finishes One Promised, maye she'll share her impression of Chi You? From the parts I read, the idea that he was the manifestation of nature seemed plausible. 

For XL, my impression was that he was a sea demon. Not like his mythical counterpart. 

Kokuto:
Thanks for all the info and the table, AH!

You're welcome!

chen358:

Wait so if Tushan Jing has seen Xiang Liu without his mask several time in Qingshui Town, then how did he not realize that Fangfeng Bei looks just like Xiang Liu?

In the novel, he realized that FFB looked like XL when they met but didn't say anything about it to XY. 

TSJ, FFYY and FFB lived together for a while after TSJ first met FFB. He would have had the chance to observe that FFB's identity was long-established and probably would have investigated him in the same way that XY and CX investigated him. He may have wondered, like XY, about whether FFB was XL but, like XY, generally came to accept that FFB was not XL for a time.

By chapter 23 (after XL switched from FFB energy to XL energy for a moment to scare XY into TSJ's arms), he at least suspected that FFB was XL. He mentioned it to XY in chapter 24.

By chapter 31 (when XL and TSJ made their deal regarding XY's wedding), TSJ definitely knew that FFB was XL. He confirmed that to XY in chapter 33. 

-----

Chapter 16:

She said, “Our hearts are beating as one.” She raised her head to look at Fang Feng Bei and waited for him to give her an explanation.

Fang Feng Bei’s hand closed around her hand and he smiled. “Yes, it sure seems like it’s really beating together.”

This bastard! Xiao Yao was exasperated but could do nothing to him. She could only grit her teeth and stare at him as he smiled and stared back at her.

The lamp post in the waning dusk cast its yellow light on them standing there staring at each other.

A carriage stopped beside them and the curtain was raised as Fang Feng Yi Yang incredulously called out “Second brother?”

Fang Feng Bei was very nonchalant and said with a smile. “Little sister, long time no see.”

Xiao Yao’s body stiffened because she sensed someone else was looking at her.

Xiao Yao didn’t know what to feel. She had been learning archery from Fang Feng Bei for 16 months and with the Tu Shan clan’s information network and her and Fang Feng Bei’s identities, Jing must have heard about it a long time ago. Or perhaps in the beginning before she really understood Fang Feng Bei’s devil may care attitude, she never believed he would really teach her archery so she wasn’t even learning in earnest. She didn’t reject Fang Feng Bei getting close because she wanted the news that she was hanging out with him to spread across all the powerful families and reach Jing. Xiao Yao wanted Jing to know but she didn’t know why she did that. She just wanted to do it so she did it.

Later Xiao Yao realized she was mistaken about Fang Feng Bei and he really was teaching her archery. She began to learn in earnest and gradually she felt her initial purpose wasn’t important, but she still waited for how Jing would respond. But after 16 months she had totally given up waiting and felt she was so lame. Thank goodness Fang Feng Bei turned out to exceed her initial expectations otherwise it wouldn’t just be lame, it would have been pathetic.

But just as she had forgotten, he suddenly appeared and even brought along his fiancee!

Fang Feng Yi Yang got off the carriage as did Tu Shan Jing. Fang Feng Bei smiled. “You must be the Young Master of Qing Qiu. I’ve heard the great reputation of my future brother-in-law. Nice to meet you finally.”

Fang Feng Yi Yang said to Jing, “This is my second brother.”

Jing said nothing for a moment, and as someone who once saw Xiang Liu’s “real face” like Xiao Yao, his reaction was likely the same as Xiao Yao when she first saw Fang Feng Bei. A moment later he bowed politely. “Greetings second brother.”

Fang Feng Bei smiled and turned. “Let me introduce you to….”

Fang Feng Yi Yang rudely cut him off “Second brother, no need to introduce your friend to us.” Yi Yang only saw Xiao Yao once at the ceremony dressed in formal attire, but today Xiao Yao was out dressed in casual Xuan Yuan attire and she was currently standing to the side with her head lowered. Yi Yang probably assumed that a girl with her second brother out late at night and all alone must not be a decent girl so she didn’t want to meet her. She never recognized Xiao Yao.

Fang Feng Bei smiled and really made no move to introduce Xiao Yao.

Yi Yang asked, “Where is second brother staying? Tu Shan clan has a residence here and you can stay with us.”

Fang Feng Bei said, “No need.”

The normally silent Jing suddenly spoke. “Yi Yang really misses you, the residence is very big and comfortable, second brother please come.”

Yi Yang glanced in shock at Jing, feeling happy that he treated her family so well and giving her face.

Bei laughed “Your hospitality is hard to turn down but no need for tonight. I have to take my friend home but I’ll move in tomorrow.

Jing said, “Where is second brother going? The carriage is very spacious and we can take you.”

Bei turned him down. “No need to bother, we were in a gambling den for hours and need to move around now.”

“Let’s go!” Bei waved at Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao followed him without hesitation, and from the moment Jing arrived until she left, she never once looked at him.

Jing stared at her disappearing form.

Yi Yang sighed at her second brother leaving. “Rumor has it he got really close with the Gao Xing Princess this past year and I thought he finally met a girl who could change him and make him give his real feelings, but he’s still the same.”

Jing said nothing and silently got back in the carriage and closed his eyes. All he could see was the way Xiao Yao and Bei were standing there looking at each other under the lamp light, and the indescribable feeling that was transpiring between them.

Xiao Yao said nothing and grabbed another arrow and slowly turned around and pointed it at Fang Feng Bei’s chest. “Who are you?”

Fang Feng Bei said, “I live in the home of my future brother-in-law, I see my sister every day. Who do you think I can be other than Fang Feng Bei?”

-----

Chapter 19:

Xiao Yao knew Fang Feng Bei was Xiang Liu, but because this wasn’t the battlefield and he wasn’t being a cold and ruthless battle god, it was like he took off his armor and resumed living the ordinary life as well. He was a spare son who didn’t have any ambition or influence, she was an ordinary goddess girl with very low power. No one ever paid them any attention.

Jing would come visit Xiao Yao in Sheng Nong Mountain every three or four days.

Xiao Yao never concealed where she went and Jing knew she was spending a lot of time with Fang Feng Bei but he never said anything or asked anything.

Actually deep down inside, Xiao Yao wanted him to ask. But he likely thought he had no right to stop her so he didn’t ask. He never even mentioned that Fang Feng Bei looked just like Xiang Liu, not sure if he investigated and found nothing suspicious, or he didn’t think it mattered.

Since Jing didn’t mention it, Xiao Yao didn’t bring it up.

-----

Chapter 23:

Xiao Yao walked and talked. “I was thinking that when you escaped the slave death match arena, wouldn’t it have been great if I was the one who saved you? If that was the case, then I would let you only be Fang Feng Bei! I really hate that I wasn’t born a few hundred years earlier. I would definitely find you in the slave death match arena…….”

Bei stopped and stared at Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao turned and stared at him, their eyes meeting in the darkness, wanting to say more but not.

Bei reached out his hand as if to caress Xiao Yao’s cheek but the moment he touched her, he jerked his hand back. He glanced behind Xiao Yao and then smirked. “Based on you right now wanting to save me? Are you worthy?”

Xiao Yao tried to explain, “I’m not saying General Gong Gong isn’t a good guy, I just think, I just feel…..”

“Be quiet!” In that instant Bei appeared to don a full armor, wrapping himself tightly in a deadly aura.

Xiao Yao stared warily at Xiang Liu and then slowly backed up.

She backed into a familiar embrace. “Jing?”

“Yes.” Jing held Xiao Yao and stared at Bei, his eyes full of warning.

Bei’s dangerous aura vanished and he laughed. “I heard you wanted to break the engagement. You just became clan leader, do you think my sister isn’t good enough for you now?”

Jing’s deadly aura also vanished. “It’s not that Yi Yang isn’t good, it’s that…..”

Xiao Yao grabbed Jing and ran. “He’s a lunatic, ignore him!”

Xiao Yao didn’t know where she wanted to go, but instinctively she ran in the opposite direction of the Tu Shan clan residence.

-----

Chapter 24:

Jing used a handkerchief to wipe her sweat, “Tired?”

Xiao Yao smiled, “Don’t worry, this is so easy compared to making poisons for Xiang Liu.”

Jing fell silent and then asked, “You’ve still been making poisons for Xiang Liu this whole time?”

Xiao Yao purposely stared at the fire and casually replied, “Yes!”

Jing slowly said, “That night…..I felt that Fang Feng Bei was Xiang Liu.”

Xiao Yao was startled and didn’t want to lie to Jing but also didn’t want to expose Xiang Liu’s secret so she tiredly said, “I don’t want to discuss those two guys.”

-----

Chapter 33:

Jing quickly pulled the window so that only a small slit was open. Xiao Yao wanted to lose her temper but found that she couldn’t. Jing placed a brazier right behind Xiao Yao and then handed her a cup of magnolia flower tea for her to sip. After she drank the tea she asked, “You’re not going to ask me where I went for the past month and more with Fang Feng Bei?”

Jing said, “I know Fang Feng Bei is Xiang Liu. He ought to have taken you to the Sheng Nong resistance army base in the mountains.”

“I’m Zhuan Xu’s little sister. He would take me to the Sheng Nong resistance army base? You think he’s an idiot?” Xiao Yao angrily yelled, “I was in Qing Shui Town this entire time, right next door to Hui Chun Clinic.”

Jing was taken aback. Qing Shui Town was filled with all sorts of people. How could Xiao Yao have stayed there for over a month and no one spotted her?

Xiao Yao said, “I never left the house, it wasn’t until the last day that I discovered I was living next door to Hui Chun Clinic.”

chen358:

There's been some discussion on this, because XL and Jing have had dealings over the years before XY came on the scene.  But have they had personal face to face dealings?  And was XL wearing his own face then?  Of course, that could mean they recognized each other from the beginning, in episode 3.

The same way XY does not believe Fang Feng Bei is Xiang Liu.  FFB has had his own separate identity for 100s of years.  Though, I think Jing figures it out before XY, because XY is in denial.

EDIT:  I see AH came with the receipts!  Yeah, I think Jing had to know by Chapter 23, when XL saw him and scared XY into him.  In the drama, they made sure it was clear, cause he had his red demon eyes.

I'm still curious about FFB and FFYY relationship.  It seems like they don't have one at times, and at other times, it seems like they are very casual with each other.  In my imagination, I can see them laying around in the courtyard at TSJ's house, like two big lazy cats in the sun, and when someone enters the yard, they both turn and stare with their tiger / assassin eyes.

AH :
I have definitely compiled some of this information in a thread before, but I can't find it so I'll re-compile it. ^^

Thank you very much for your compilation!

AH :
I feel like the reason that Xiang Liu was not revered by deities despite his "king of the seas" status while the Tushan Clan was revered by deities (and they had their own "king of the foxes" status) came down to a few factors. 

Kokuto:
Again, I don't get the impression that the Tushan 9 tailed fox ancestor was a demon.  He may have been the first, primal, a progenitor or something else, like a phoenix, which I don't think are demons either.

AH :
Seems possible. The original text is probably a better source for clarity about when the term demon is used vs. other terms. 

In the novel, the Nine-tailed fox who imprisoned and tortured Xiao Yao was very consistently referred to as a nine-tailed fox demon. Likewise, the dolls that were made from the fox tails, were referred to be tails from nine-tailed fox demons too.

Jing Ye held out a jade box. Inside laid two dolls, not carved from wood but were furry, resembling animal fur. Xiao Liu was curious and wanted to touch but Jing Ye slapped his hand away, saying impatiently, "These are dolls made from the fox tail of nine-tailed fox demons 九尾狐妖 that were tens of thousands of years old, extremely rare and precious. The nine-tailed fox is the creature most adept in transformation in the world, and its tails are where its spiritual energy is gathered. Each of these two tails contains tens of thousands of years of spiritual power. Puppets made from it could not be discerned to be real or fake even by the Great Emperor Fu Xi if he were to come back to life."

-- Vol 1 Ch8

On the other hand, Jing has been referred to be of the bloodline of the Nine-tailed Divine Fox:

Cang Xuan was so angry that even Shi Qi who was of the Nine-tailed Divine Fox 九尾神狐 bloodline bore the brunt of his disgust, and he said irritably, "It is said that the Nine-tailed Fox is the most adept at transformation. So tell me, what exactly is wrong with Xiao Yao? How is it that the shape-shifting art could not restore her true form?"

-- Vol 1 Ch9

and according to folklore, their first ancestor was both a divine beast, and also a demonic beast. However the deity spirit they worshipped was supposed to be a wandering spirit of one of their ancestors, indicating that they were not worshipping their first ancestor. In which case, perhaps the Tushan clan as they knew it today, was probably deity due to intermarriage with other deity tribes, but also possessing the special powers inherent to their unique bloodline - being descended from from a bloodline that is both divine and demon:

The elders were momentarily stunned, their eyes showing traces of joy. In folklore, the nine-tailed fox was not only an auspicious divine beast 神兽 akin to the phoenix, but also a ferocious demonic beast 妖兽 that devoured humans. Over time, the lines between truth and fiction were blurred, and people both revered and feared it. In truth, both aspects were real. Humans preyed on animals, and animals ate humans; there was no right or wrong, it was the natural order. The deity spirit guardian of the Tushan clan was said to be a wandering spirit of the ancestor of Tu Shan who was honoured with offerings as a form of worship and sustenance by the clan, and protected their descendants. Yi Ying was a pure-blooded deity, with strong spiritual powers. If the Tushan clan could obtain her essential blood to offer up as sacrifice and nourishment, it would naturally be of great benefit to them.

-- Vol 3  Ch1  (Chapter 34)

Curiously enough, why would the nine-tailed fox which tortured Xiao Yao be referred to as a fox demon, when Jing is considered to be a high-level deity? And it was not just a disparaging label Xiao Yao gave her captor, but even one that Jing Ye used when describing what the dolls were made of. In which case, perhaps in the eyes of the world at large, Jing is considered to be a deity because he was of the revered Tushan clan, but at his core, he is still a nine-tailed fox demon, just like the distant relative that went rogue, even if his blood is perhaps now more deity than Nine-tailed Fox due to the intermarriages with other deity clans. If so, it would mean that as a deity clan, the Tushan clan was different in the sense that it was descended from a beast, similar to the Lirong clan whose ancestor was the two-headed dog, while it appeared that other deity clans were born and descended from ancestors with human form.

On the other hand, Xiang Liu was a nine-headed sea demon, so his human form was clearly not his true form but one he cultivated: 

Layers of dark clouds loomed over them like collapsing mountains that were about to crush down on their heads. Amid the huge waves, a pure white nine-headed sea demon battled with the entire ocean. The ocean roared in fury, trying to rip them apart, but the nine-headed sea demon was fearless, calmly taking every hit. Wave upon wave crashed into the body of the nine-headed sea demon with unforgiving, brutal force, while the crest of the waves were like sharp swords, soaring straight to the sky, trying to tear the demon’s heads off. This was a battle of the strongest against the world, without any flowery moves or clever techniques, just a collision of force against force, eclipsing the heavens and the earth, obliterating the light of the sun and the moon.

-- Vol 3 Ch10  (Chapter 43)

The disparity between him and other living beings (deities, humans) was touched upon when Xiao Yao described how having one head just happened to be the norm as opposed to those with nine heads:

“I saw your demon form, and it was not hideous at all! And you did not suck me dry either!” Xiang Liu stared darkly at Xiao Yao but she continued on with reckless abandon, “Your form is a little bigger than mine... Uhm, okay! Not just a little bigger, but a lot bigger... You also have a little more heads than I do, just eight more only... But in the laws of nature, who determined that a small body with one head like me is considered to be the norm? It just so happened that those of us with one head are the vast majority. If there were more of your kind with nine heads, we would probably feel inferior for having just one head.”

-- Vol 3 Ch10  (Chapter 43)

As for Xiang Liu, he should not have been the first nine-headed demon - where would the egg have come from, but he was the only known one in the Great Wilderness over the past hundreds of years:

“No matter what, you know who your parents are, which is better than me! A monster like me who is hatched from an egg, have no idea at all who my parents are.

-- Vol 3 Ch2  (Chapter 35)

“[The bow] requires the blood of the Demon King of the Seas the Nine-headed demon, and it must be blood from the night of a full moon.” Xing Chen chuckled drily, seemingly also aware that this requirement was really outrageous. “That... I also know that currently the only Nine-headed demon ever heard of in the Great Wilderness is that, that... Nine Lives Xiang Liu. They say that he is very difficult to deal with, but you are a princess after all! Your father happens to be His Majesty the Eminent Emperor! There will surely be a way!”

-- Vol 2 Ch7  (Chapter 24)

The drama added a scene not in the novel where he talks about not knowing his parents, and as such was grateful for the opportunity to know a mother's love thanks to Fangfeng Bei:

XY: Who would have thought that you, a Nine-headed demon would be willing to be someone's son and look after an ailing person day after day over the years. If you had known it would turn out like this, you would not have so easily agreed to Fangfeng Bei's request.
FFB (shaking his head): Actually, I am the one who reaped the most benefits out of this deal.
XY: You reaped the most benefits?
FFB: Ever since I hatched from the egg and opened my eyes, I have never seen my parents. Because of Fangfeng Bei, I had a mother. Although she was weak and sickly, her devoted love made me understand the bond between a mother and son.

--S01E26

liddi:
Yi Ying was a pure-blooded deity, with strong spiritual powers. If the Tushan clan could obtain her essential blood to offer up as sacrifice and nourishment, it would naturally be of great benefit to them.

Uhnnn, WHAT?  They were going to sacrifice FFYY???

Thank you for the information and translations.  It appears the Tushan 9 Tailed Fox was different, one way or another.

liddi:
As for Xiang Liu, he should not have been the first nine-headed demon - where would the egg have come from, but he was the only known one in the Great Wilderness over the past hundreds of years:

I wrote a drabble, where I postulated that Xiang Liu was actually one of 9 sea snake demon eggs, and when he hatched they were all trying to eat each other, like baby sharks, and he was the lone survivor.  That's why he has nine lives and nine heads.  Born in blood and battle, yet he still can find a reason to live in beautiful things.

liddi:
Nine-tailed Divine Fox 九尾神狐

Thanks for the translations liddi!

liddi:
FFB: Ever since I hatched from the egg and opened my eyes, I have never seen my parents.

I hope this addition in the drama doesn't mean that we will miss out on the parts of chapter 35 when XL teases and comforts XY. 

liddi:
Because of Fangfeng Bei, I had a mother. Although she was weak and sickly, her devoted love made me understand the bond between a mother and son.

I had forgotten this part was only in the drama. But I like to think that it would have been true for XL in the novel too, and he was just better about hiding his soft side from XY. 

Kokuto:
Uhnnn, WHAT?  They were going to sacrifice FFYY???

That was the punishment she begged for after her affair with TSH was exposed to the Tushan clan elders. 

The elders wanted to execute her, but TSJ refused. He later helped her fake her death and arranged for TSZ to visit her regularly. 

TSH was only exiled to carry out Tushan clan business in Gao Xing. 

Kokuto:
I wrote a drabble, where I postulated that Xiang Liu was actually one of 9 sea snake demon eggs, and when he hatched they were all trying to eat each other, like baby sharks, and he was the lone survivor.  That's why he has nine lives and nine heads.  Born in blood and battle, yet he still can find a reason to live in beautiful things.

This reminds me a bit of one of the things he said in chapter 35.

-----

Chapter 35:

Xiang Liu sat down beside her and laughed. “Looks like the rumors are true, you really are the dear daughter of the Great General Qi Yo.”

“Shut up!” Xiao Yao lowered her head to ignore him.

“Suddenly changing a dad, and into one that is reviled by the entire world, that would indeed be hard to accept.”

“Shut up!”

“You might not know anything about Qi Yo, but you know your mom. Since she chose him, you ought to trust her taste.”

“I said to shut up!”

“No matter what, you know who your parents are and that’s better off than me. I’m a demon that came out of an egg. I have no idea who my parents are.”

Xiao Yao raised her head to look at Xiang Liu, trying to ascertain whether he was telling the truth. Xiang Liu earnestly said, “You know I have nine heads and at most I eat more than others. Since I was small, I scrounged around for food and my days were awful. I’d get beaten and chased and almost killed. My nine heads would sometimes fight with each other. One time I was so hungry one head almost ate another head…

Xiao Yao’s eyes widened into saucers. “Really?”

“Of course not!”

“You——–” Xiao Yao was so exasperated she almost expired on the spot.

Xiang Liu kept on talking earnestly, “I remember someone said to me once “people are so weird, whether lucky or unlucky, happy or unhappy, it’s all based on comparing with others.” I’m just telling you about my even-more-horrible past so that you can see your life is pretty good in comparison!”

Xiao Yao remembered that the person was her and she grumbled, “I didn’t make stuff up though!”

“Coming out of an egg was true, having nine heads is true, the rest…..” Xiang Liu rapped himself on the head and muttered, “I was making it up so well…what else did I say?”

Xiao Yao didn’t know if she ought to cry or to laugh but the pain in her heart really had lessened a lot.

Xiang Liu asked, “Do you want me to tell you more about my pitiful past so that you can feel like having a big demon devil for a dad isn’t that big of a deal?”

Kokuto:
Thank you for the information and translations.  It appears the Tushan 9 Tailed Fox was different, one way or another.

You're welcome. Yes, they are certainly not quite the same as other deity clans. Even among the fox tribe, they are considered the king of the foxes.

Kokuto:

AH :
This reminds me a bit of one of the things he said in chapter 35.

That is such an interesting scenario - thank you for sharing! And yes, like you @AH, I was also reminded of that line in Chapter 35 when I read it!

AH :
Thanks for the translations liddi!

You're welcome! It never ceases to amaze me the kind of details I overlook from the words used - usually I tend to take for granted that they are basically referring to the same thing.

AH :
I hope this addition in the drama doesn't mean that we will miss out on the parts of chapter 35 when XL teases and comforts XY. 

Based on the leaked script, he tells his (perhaps) tall tale about his head almost eating another out of hunger, and offering to tell more pitiful stories to make her feel better, so it is quite faithful to the novel in that regard. We do know that they totally changed how that scene ended (snowflake instead of a swift kiss to her forehead) - gah! They did also add the element of the 6-sided lantern which his description to help her understand her parents' stance and their choices despite their love for each other.

AH :
I had forgotten this part was only in the drama. But I like to think that it would have been true for XL in the novel too, and he was just better about hiding his soft side from XY. 

I too had forgotten it was a drama-only addition until I was going through the novel trying to find that scene. This is another addition in the drama where it actually allows Xiao Yao (and by extension the viewers) insight into his thoughts, one which I like. 

Speaking of which, during my search for fox demon references in the novel, I just realised that the drama replaced the generic powerful fox demon for the Lirong old donkey meat seller and the Guifang clan's Lamp of Time. In the leaked script, Jing was totally compliant to "Xiao Yao"'s seduction, unlike the novel:

Jing said, “After Eldest Sister-in-law passed away, I began truly face the situation between Yi Ying and myself. Over the years, I have been trying to recollect the events of that night, and even had a highly powerful fox demon to hypnotise me and awaken my latent memories. But no matter what, I could not recall the memories of that night. All I could remember was feeling disoriented, and mistaking Yi Ying for you. You took off your clothes and embraced me, wanting to be intimate with me, and I tried hard to push you away... I have no idea what happened after that.”

-- Vol 2 Ch16  (Chapter 33)

AH :
When liddi finishes One Promised, maye she'll share her impression of Chi You? From the parts I read, the idea that he was the manifestation of nature seemed plausible. 

Thus far, Chi Chen's source of powers are never properly explained, and based on reader comments and articles, it seems it would remain that way throughout the novel. Nonetheless, will see what opinion I form when I finally finish reading it.

Isn't Chishui Fenglong and Chenrong Xinyue siblings? Why don't they have the same last name? And isn't Chenrong conquered by Xiyan so would that mean that Chenrong Xinyue is a princess of Chenrong; Just like how Xiyan Cangxuan is prince of Xiyan and Haoling Jiuyao is princess of Haoling?

This is the start of 4 posts covering my translation of one of my favourite events  in Once Promised, taking place after the Eighth Flame Emperor's death at the hands of the Yellow Emperor and an unanswered proposed marriage alliance between Shen Nong and Xuan Yuan leading up to the siege and flooding of Ze Province.

We meet the Nine-tailed fox demon whose tail would become Xiao Yao's toy, and later imprisoned her for 30 years.

At this point in time, A Heng had been pregnant with Xiao Yao for 12 months, and only detected fetal movement for the first time as she fought for her life. 

The Siege of Ze Province Part 1 

Once Promised Vol 2 Ch5 (originally Chapter 8)

Shen Nong still had not responded to Xuan Yuan regarding the Yellow Emperor's proposed marriage alliance. A Heng contacted Yun Sang privately but also received no reply, which indicated that there were changes within the Shen Nong clan. Zhong Yi petitioned the Yellow Emperor for more time. However, it was not known what information Yi Peng gave the Yellow Emperor which resulted in his great displeasure, and he wrote back to A Heng that if there were still no results, he would let Yi Peng handle the matter.

In order to force the surrender of Ze Province, the Yellow Emperor ordered that Ze Province's water supply be cut off. However, the city lord of Ze Province continued to defend the city, refusing to come out and meet them in battle, only launching endless sneak attacks and assassinations from time to time, causing restless nights for the Xuan Yuan soldiers. Furious, the Yellow Emperor decreed that if Ze Province did not surrender, a full-scale siege would commence.

A Heng asked Lie Yang, "I sent you to Ze Province to investigate. What is the situation?"

Lie Yang acted as if the matter had nothing to do with him. "Just wait and see the siege! Although Ze Provice lacks the strategic advantage of Ban Castle, as the Northern gate of the Shen Nong capital, the foundations of the city are extremely solid, easy to defend but difficult to breach."

Zhong Yi asked, "Can we not make the city lord of Ze Province surrender? Royal Father is best at winning people's hearts, defeating the enemy without fighting. He must have a way."

Lie Yang smiled grimly, "Although Yu Xiang had a gentle temperament, he was not foolish. He clearly understood the importance of Ze Province. The Lord of Ze Province was trained and promoted by Chi Chen. His real name is unknown, but he is reputed to be skilled in controlling wind, so he is called Feng Bo (meaning 'Earl of Wind')" Lie Yang leapt up, light as a leaf, and sat on a thin branch, swaying the branch gently as he gloated, "Chi Chen is a scoundrel, and the gang of subordinates he trained are also scoundrels. They use all sorts of despicable means when they fight. However, so far, I have not heard of Chi Chen's men surrendering, not a single one!"

Speechless, Zhong Yi then asked, "So if a battle breaks out, can Xuan Yuan win swiftly?"

Lie Yang shook his head and said with a grin, "Feng Bo's strength should not be underestimated. Half a year ago, he even became sworn brothers with someone who is said to be from the Chishui clan of the Four Noble Families. He has incredible rain-controlling abilities, and is called Yu Shi ('Master of Rain'). He is also very skilled in forging weapons. With Feng Bo and Yu Shi, even if Xuan Yuan captures Ze Province, there will be heavy casualties."

Zhong Yi looked at A Heng helplessly, who said, "Yi Peng is definitely the one causing trouble on the Shen Nong side. If the Shen Nong clan agrees to the marriage alliance, the battle in Ze Province can be temporarily resolved. The most urgent task now is to find out what Yi Peng is up to. While Yi Peng is at Ze Province, I will go investigate on Shen Nong mountain."

Zhong Yi immediately said, "I'll go! Now you... you need to take care of yourself."

A Heng replied, "That is fine too."

Zhong Yi hurried off with his subordinates. A Heng looked up at Lie Yang, who turned away, pretending not to have seen anything.

A Heng pleaded gently, "The people around Fourth Brother are all skilled warriors of the Ruoshui clan who are not afraid of fighting alone. But these Ruoshui men are straightforward, while Yi Peng is a person who plays dirty tricks. I need you to keep an eye on them."

Lie Yang rolled his emerald green eyes, "What do you mean? Are you calling me a bird who plays dirty tricks?"

A Heng smiled apologetically, bowing repeatedly. Lie Yang glared fiercely at her, then transformed into a white bird and flew away.

------

A Heng entered the house and had just sat down when a parrot flew in through the window, landing in front of A Heng and spoke in human speech, "If you want to see Chi Chen, come to Ze Province."

A Heng stood up abruptly, momentarily dizzy.

The parrot scratched its head awkwardly with its claws and repeated, "If you want to see Chi Chen, come to Ze Province."

Ze Province's fate was closely tied to the safety of Shen Nong's capital, Zhi Yi, and Shen Nong Mountain. As long as Chi Chen was still alive, he would never let Ze Province fall. Could it be that Chi Chen was really in Ze Province now?

A Heng gritted her teeth. She had to see the truth for herself. She called A Bi and flew towards Ze Province.

------

As they neared Ze Province, A Heng heard the horn of the Xuan Yuan clan summoning soldiers to assemble and her expression changed drastically. They had actually begun preparing to attack the city! Was this the command of Royal Father or Yi Peng's own unauthorised decision?

Suddenly, A Heng heard a familiar flute sound coming from the northwest of Ze Province City, the tune "Heavenly Questions" that Chi Chen composed which was widely circulated among the men of Bai Li.

The sound of the flute was fluctuated between strong and weak, just like an injured person struggling to play. After listening for a while, A Heng commanded A Bi to follow the sound of the flute.

Guided by the erratic sound of the flute, A Heng flew northwest, over Ze Province City over rolling low hills. Finally, she saw a man in red at a wet marshland, standing in the center of a swamp, hair flowing loose, playing a flute.

Wind swept across the wilderness, emitting mournful cries. The man's black hair flew, his red robes billowed. Upon hearing A Bi's cry, he looked up at the sky and smiled gently. His sharp eyebrows extended to his temples, his complexion sickly and pallid — it was Chi Chen.

A Heng approached him, and Chi Chen reached out, wanting to embrace her but A Heng sternly asked, "Who are you really?"

"Chi Chen"* laughed, "You actually saw through me at a glance! You and Chi Chen must be the closest lovers in the world. Where did I go wrong?"

A Heng raised her hand, her palm faintly glowing. "Chi Chen" chuckled, "I advise you not to act rashly. Let the child live a moment longer."

A Heng's face changed. "Chi Chen" asked, "Is this my child?"

A Heng swung her palm, and "Chi Chen" hastily dodged but still failed to completely avoid it, scorching his robe.

"As far as I know, the Xuan Yuan Princess cultivates wood spiritual powers. This isn't a wood spirit spell. What actually happened during the two hundred years that you were bedridden?"

Coldly, A Heng stated, "I don't want to kill anyone, but this time, I cannot spare you. You are quite capable, but you should not follow Yi Peng."

"Chi Chen" chuckled, "I wanted to be gentle with you, but you did not appreciate it, so I can only take your life." As he spoke, he shot a fireball into the sky, which exploded and turned into countless red fish.

A rumbling sound was heard from the sky in the distance like spring thunder ringing between heaven and earth. A moment later, a silver-white line appeared from the northwest, twisting like a silver snake.

A Heng was stunned for a moment before she realised that it was waters of the Huo Ze River that had been cut off. It turned out that Royal Father's cutting off of Ze Province's water supply was not just to undermine morale but also to attack the city.

She quickly summoned A Bi, wanting to escape.

"Chi Chen" smiled, saying, "Yi Peng is a very cautious child. This is not only the waters of the Huo Ze River but also the waters of the Qin River and Dan River. It is not to attack Ze Province with water, but to flood it."

A Heng's eyes were filled with fear. "You are crazy! You'll be punished by the Heavens!"

"Chi Chen" laughed loudly. Just as A Bi was about to fly off with A Heng on his back, "Chi Chen" hummed in a  low voice and blocked his way. Unexpectedly, A Bi was extremely afraid of him and dared not face him head-on, attempting several times to escape from the side but failed.

A Heng could not understand what was going on and kept urging A Bi. As A Bi felt death approaching, his demonic nature was forced to the surface, finally overcoming his natural fear.

He roared furiously at "Chi Chen" who was taken by surprise and forced to retreat. A Bi flapped his wings and flew up.

"Chi Chen" looked at their retreating backs, spread his arms wide, and sighed softly, "Too late!"

The torrential floods as high as Tian Qi (Mount Tai) slammed A Bi and A Heng into the water, and they were scattered by the flood.

------

Water was the source of life, but when this source of life turns into a monster that devoured life, it was also the most unstoppable force in the world. No matter how much spiritual power A Heng used, it was absorbed by endless water, with no way to open even a crack.

A Heng curled her body up tightly, trying hard to protect the child.

But water was everywhere, flowing and surging endlessly. She could not tell the direction, and each time she tried to separate the waters, she was pushed back to the bottom by more water.

Her strength was getting weaker and weaker. She could only concentrate all her remaining strength on her abdomen to protect the child.

At the most critical moment, everything no longer mattered and all she could see was his figure.

Chi Chen, where are you? You promised to protect me, but where are you exactly?

A Heng was disoriented from being caught in the vortex under the water. The current struck fiercely against A Heng's abdomen, and she felt the child kicking restlessly. It was the first movement of the fetus, and she should be full of joy, but now A Heng only felt fear and sorrow in the face of death.

"Our child, our child... Chi Chen, you are his father! Aren't you the one who should protect him forever in this world?"

She bit her tongue, keeping herself awake with blood and pain, gathering the remnants of her spiritual power around her belly.

"Chi Chen, where are you? Why do you make me endure all this alone? Why are you never here when I need you the most?"

A Heng's breath grew weaker and weaker. The child was already twelve months along. He already had consciousness and seemed to sense the impending danger, kicking her desperately, wanting her to save him. But she... she had no strength left. Her body no longer felt like her own, stiff and numb, unable to move, only watching as the rushing water surged towards her.

"Chi Chen... Chi Chen..."

Despair settled in A Heng's heart, darkness closing in around her, but she seemed to hear the child's cries in her ears. Tears streamed down her face, falling into the cold, merciless water, leaving no trace.

Chi Chen, I hate you!

* "Chi Chen" was the Nine-tailed fox demon who was in league with Yi Peng to flood Ze Province. He would later kidnap Xiao Yao twice - the first time he lost a tail which ended up as Xiao Yao's toy; the second time he imprisoned and tortured her for 30 years before being killed by her in the end.

In this next section, we learn of the five sacred places in the Great Wilderness, including and the origins of Chi Chen's roc Xiāo Yáo which would play an important part during the siege later.

I love how in the face of mortal danger, soldiers on both sides tried to persuade their leader to flee, even if they themselves could not, a reflection of how much they were respected and loved. And by the same token, the same leaders remained firmly with their men, determined to protect and fight alongside them to the last.

The Siege of Ze Province Part 2

Once Promised Vol 2 Ch6 (originally Chapter 9)

There were five sacred places in the legends of the Great Wilderness. Tang Gorge where the sun rose; Yu Abyss where the sun set; the Eye of Ten Thousand Waters, Gui Xu; Jade Mountain where jade spirits gathered - although those holy places were rarely seen by ordinary people, even the dangerous Yu Abyss had been ventured to before. However, according to legend, there were two places at the ends of the world called 北冥 Northern Depths and 南冥 Southern Depths which no one had ever seen. It was only known that legend has it the two places were called the Northern Southern Depths, where the North and South met as one. No one knew why one was clearly situated in the southernmost part, and the other in the northernmost part, yet were said to be 南北合一  North and South United as One.

Since no one had ever been there, people of the Great Wilderness seemed to no longer believe in the existence of the Northern and Southern Depths. However, there was a divine beast called Kun that originated from the Northern Depths. It was originally the form of a fish, but could transform into a bird since birth. Its bird form was called roc (da peng). Legend has it that it could travel nine thousand li with one flap of its wings. Kun was a fish that did not submit to the dragon, and a bird that was not subservient to the phoenix. It was born in the Northern Depths, and returned to the Southern Depths upon its death.

Because of Kun's existence, people still remembered that there was a sacred place known as Southern Northern Depths between the heavens and earth.

Continuing northward from the Great Wilderness would lead to the uninhabited northern lands where ice and snow covered for thousands of miles. No matter how far one walked, it remained a land of ice and snow. Even the most powerful deities had no way of flying out from such endless ice and snow.

At the furthest end of the cold was a naturally formed great pool, which was the Northern Depths.

Xiāo Yáo threw Chi Chen whose body had been destroyed by the Five Spirits and was almost dead, into the waters of the Northern Depths. Xiao Yao itself did not know why it did this; it was simply an instinct. When faced with danger and injury, one went home.
:

[Severely injured in the battlefield of Ban Quan where the Eighth Flame Emperor Yu Xiang was killed, Chi Chen was taken by his roc Xiāo Yáo to the Northern Depths to save him.
After over a year, Chi Chen finally regained consciousness. To keep his promise to meet A Heng under the peach blossom tree at Bai Li after missing it twice, Chi Chen tried to forcibly leave the Northern Depths despite Xiāo Yáo's disapproval by using up a lifespan of a hundred years to transform a peach blossom branch into a bird. In the end, Xiāo Yáo had no choice but to bring him.]

Xiāo Yáo took Chi Chen and flew back to the Central Plains.

From afar, they could see vast expanses of water in the sky and on the ground, rushing towards Ze Province. Chi Chen's expression grew serious. Suddenly, he heard a familiar mournful cry. Before Chi Chen could say anything, Xiāo Yáo had already followed the sound.

A Bi was clearly not good at swimming, yet he hovered over the water as if searching for something. Again and again, he dove into the water, surfacing when he could no longer hold his breath, wailed as he took a few deep breaths before rushing into the water again without hesitation.

Only A Heng and Lie Yang could have caused A Bi such grief. Chi Chen was frantic. "A Bi, where is A Heng?"

A Bi stared at him blankly for a moment, as if trying to identify who he was. Once he recognised him, he bit Chi Chen's clothes, tears streaming down his face.

------

The underwater vortex was like a giant python, dragging A Heng toward the darkest abyss.

A Heng's hands which were tightly protecting her belly, grew weaker and weaker. She had no strength left, and another, larger vortex surged towards her.

She cried in despair, praying angrily, but there was nothing she could do. In the darkness, she could only grieve as she felt the forces that threatened the destruction of the world push her towards the end of her life.

Her body spun rapidly with the vortex, plunging towards the bottom of the water. Her last breath was gradually swallowed by the terrifying current. She was not afraid of death, but the child... Chi Chen, Chi Chen, Chi Chen, where are you?

Chi Chen... Chi Chen...

Suddenly, a red figure descended into the centre of the vortex like lightning, embracing A Heng. Long black and white hair flew like two barriers, deflecting the water. The towering waves that eclipsed the sun and moon, the floods that raged like an evil demon, actually stopped in fear before Chi Chen, and flowed around him.

It was too late to bring A Heng up. Chi Chen lowered his head and kissed A Heng, passing fresh air into her mouth.

A Heng coughed a few times and slowly opened her eyes.

Chi Chen's face was pale, smiling gently at her. A Bi stood on Xiāo Yáo's back, laughing incessantly, but Xiāo Yáo seemed angry, and kept rolling its fish eyes.

Turbulent floods were still surging around them, but in his arms, it was calm and peaceful.

"Am I dreaming?"

Chi Chen pressed his forehead against her face. "No."

Tears streamed down A Heng's cheeks and she said weakly. "I kept calling for you, kept calling for you. I thought you would not come."

Chi Chen whispered, "Have you forgotten? 'Under the peach blossom tree, not leaving until we meet.' I promised there would not be a third time. How could I not come?"

A Heng smiled and cried. "It's a pity it's not under the peach blossom tree."

Chi Chen laughed, "Once I've dealt with this flood, I will take you to see the peach blossoms." With those words, Chi Chen rose towards the surface of the water.

A Heng placed her hands on her belly, snuggling into Chi Chen's embrace. She had used up all her strength just now, every pore of her body exhausted. But now, she felt so safe. No matter what storms raged outside, she could hide in his arms for the moment.

------

By the Yellow Emperor's decree, Ying Long cut off the water supply of Ze Province — Huo Ze River. He thought it was just another siege tactic as before.

Upon hearing the horn signalling to attack, he and Xuanyuan Xiu gathered their soldiers on high ground, prepared to attack Ze Province. However, Yi Peng ordered them to hold their ground.

Although Ying Long felt that the situation was strange, he remained quietly in place, awaiting further orders.

Ze Province City stood quietly beside the dry riverbed of Huo Ze River. From a distance, flashes of light could be seen, which were the glint of armour under the sun, a reminder of the strict vigilance there.

At this moment, the soldiers of Ze Province City were solemn-faced. The horn blown moments ago indicated that if they still failed to surrender, Xuan Yuan would initiate a full-scale attack.

Feng Bo, dressed in simple tight-fitting riding attire with a black cloak draped over it, walked through the ranks of soldiers standing in formation. There was no sound in the entire city except for the sound of his footsteps. He ascended to the city tower and said, "The forces of the Xuan Yuan clan outnumber us five to one. If any of you wish to leave, I understand. You can leave now."

Feng Bo waited for a while, but no one left.

He smiled and declared, "Brothers, then let us fight to the end! For Chi Chen!"

"For Chi Chen!"

Everyone roared with earth-shattering shouts.

As Feng Bo shouted, he glanced towards a corner in the shadows. In the semi darkness, there stood a hunchbacked man. The silver mask on his face which emitted a chilling, sinister aura and his stooped figure created a haunting image that inspired fear and disgust the moment one laid eyes on him, and reluctance to look further.

This hunchbacked masked man was Yu Shi, whom Feng Bo deeply respected. Together, they had repelled Xuan Yuan's attacks time and again, guarding Shen Nong.

Feng Bo and Yu Shi exchanged a glance, both understanding each other's determination to fight to the death.

Feng Bo smiled as he leaned against the city wall, observing the Xuan Yuan soldiers. He could not understand why they still had not launched their attack. Did they not realise that morale could only be maintained with swift action? As time passed, morale would gradually diminish.

Feng Bo glanced at the dried riverbed of Huo Ze River and then scrutinised the Xuan Yuan formation. He felt they would not use water to attack the city. If they released water, the first casualties would be Xuan Yuan soldiers drowned by the rushing Huo Ze River waters.

A few crisp sounds rang out and countless small red fish suddenly appeared in the sky like clouds at sunrise, making the skies colourful. Soldiers on both sides looked up in curiosity.

Being an aquatic being, Ying Long was highly perceptive. As he looked towards the horizon, his expression changed drastically and he screamed at Yi Peng who stood at the highest point, "Ninth Prince, what exactly are you planning to do?"

Yi Peng smiled but did not answer. In disbelief, Ying Long realised that in Yi Peng's mind, Ying Long and his army belonged to Qing Yang. Yi Peng not only wanted to eliminate Qing Yang, but those who supported him as well.

------

Feng Bo looked up at the "school of fish" swimming in the sky, faintly hearing something. He squinted, staring at the horizon. In an instant, he was shocked beyond belief. Had Xuanyuan Yi Peng gone mad? To commit such a heinous act, causing untold suffering to all living beings, even sacrificing his own army along with them?

He looked at Yu Shi uncertainly, but Yu Shi asserted simply but surely, "Yi Peng has gone mad!" His voice was hoarse, as if scorched by smoke and fire.

Thunder rumbled, echoing across the land. The raging floodwaters surged forth. Only a silver-white line could be seen, seemingly advancing slowly but the entire world was overflowing with devouring waters.

Beasts howled in anguish, birds cried out mournfully. Wherever the floodwaters passed, all living creatures vanished.

Feng Bo sighed. The waters of the three rivers converged, almost like a catastrophe of celestial proportions that could not be reversed by mortal strength. He did not fear death, but he wished to die honourably on the battlefield, not in such a miserable death.

Soldiers on the city tower said to Feng Bo, "You have the ability to control the wind. You should escape quickly now. No matter how swift the flood is, it cannot catch up to you."

Feng Bo glanced at Yu Shi and said with a smile, "You cultivate water spiritual powers. No matter how great the flood, you should have no problem protecting yourself."

Yu Shi stared at the floodwaters and said calmly, "If the city of Ze Province falls, Shen Nong Mountain will fall. If the Xuan Yuan army wants to approach Shen Nong Mountain, they will have to step over my dead body."

Feng Bo patted Yu Shi on the shoulder and said to the soldiers urging him to flee, "From the very beginning, I told Chi Chen that I had no interest in fighting for power and gain. I just enjoyed fighting alongside him. Following him is like following the strongest tornado in the world. There are no restrictions, the wind blows wherever it wants. Have you ever seen the wind escape? No matter what it encounters, the wind will only advance!"

Feng Bo laughed heartily, took off his cloak, and stared defiantly at the approaching monstrous waves. Yu Shi also brought out his own magical artifact, the Rain Urn, his mask emitting a cold, eerie light.

Behind them, all the soldiers drew their weapons, a group of desperate men joking and asking each other how good they were in swimming, making deals to compete later and see who could ride the waves best.

Even if they were to be buried in floodwaters, they would still ride on the crest of the waves!

------

The extent to which one man would go to protect his men and by extension the enemy city and its people - giving his all in the face of certain death.

And how I cheered when unexpected help arrived!

The Siege of Ze Province Part 3

Once Promised Vol 2 Ch6 (originally Chapter 9) cont.

The Xuan Yuan soldiers cried and shouted, the entire army in chaos.

Ying Long's aides urged him to leave. As a dragon, no matter how great the waters, he could leave with ease. Yet Ying Long only said to all his subordinates, "All of you should flee quickly. However many can escape, that's how many should go."

The aides wanted to persuade him again, but Ying Long waved them off. He walked down to the lowest point and extracted his primordial spirit, intending to use all his spiritual power as well as his life to stop the flood.

He knew he could not stop it, but at least he would die with no regrets.

Yi Peng and Xuanyuan Xiu stood with their armies at the highest point. Unable to bear the sight, Xuanyuan Xiu turned his head to look elsewhere, but Yi Peng continued to smile, admiring the raging floodwaters that came.

------

The sky-high floodwaters surged forward in torrents, but were temporarily stayed by Ying Long's spiritual power.

However, these were the waters from three major rivers that had accumulated over a month. No matter how strong Ying Long's spiritual power was, it would eventually run out, but the waters continued to flow incessantly without end.

Ying Long was forced into his true form, and a green dragon laid across before the floodwaters.

The floodwaters converged, getting higher and higher, but it still could not break through Ying Long's barrier.

Under the pressure of such earth-shattering force, blood seeped from Ying Long's dragon scales, gradually staining them red, dyeing the riverbed red.

Standing on the top of the city wall, Feng Bo clapped in admiration and sighed, "Good man! If I could die at his hand in battle, I would die without regrets! How hateful! How hateful!"

"What's hateful?" Feng Bo's vision blurred momentarily as a red figure landed swiftly on the city tower.

"Chi Chen!"

"Elder brother!"

Cheers erupted and smiles broke out all around.

Chi Chen quickly gestured for silence to the crowd, but it was too late. A Heng opened her eyes and saw people all around her, staring at her with gleaming eyes. She could not help but blush and struggled to get down.

Feng Bo punched Chi Chen hard. "Is this sister-in-law?"

Chi Chen supported A Heng with one hand and laughingly returned the punch to Feng Bo with the other. Brotherhood and camaraderie between men, even if the world changed after parting ways, they would still understand each other without need for words.

Feng Bo pointed at Yu Shi, "Chi Song Zi, also known as Yu Shi, is the sworn brother I pledged with after you disappeared. My brother is also your brother." The trust between men had no need for more words; one sentence covered it all.

Although Yu Shi's appearance was strange and ugly, his manners were polite and courteous as he greeted Chi Chen.

Feng Bo gave Chi Chen a thumbs-up and pointed into the distance, smiling jokingly, "Don't tell me you rushed here eager to die. But you..." He sized Chi Chen up and shook his head. "It really seems like you came here to die."

------

The crest of the floodwaters had risen to the heights of a mountain peak. As the "mountain peak" continued to rise, Ying Long's strength waned. The crest of the floodwaters shuddered slightly, and everyone understood that as soon as the entire "mountain peak" collapsed, they would all immediately perish with no way of escape.

The shuddering of the "mountain peak" intensified.

Chi Chen said quickly, "Water cannot be blocked, only routed. Such large volume of water can't be redirected from afar. On my way here, I saw that the riverbeds of Huo Ze River, Qin River, and Dan River have all dried up. Now the only method is to divide the flood into three parts and let each return to its source. This will not completely eliminate the disaster, but at least it can save some lives. Feng Bo, you lead your men to handle Huo Ze River; Yu Shi, you handle Qin River; I will guide Dan River."

Several subordinates with high spiritual power stared at the increasingly towering water crest, their faces ashen. They murmured, "This is impossible to accomplish. If things go wrong, we might end up like that demon dragon, and will still be buried at the depths of the water after our spiritual power is exhausted."

Chi Chen laughed loudly, "What's the point if it could be accomplished easily? Doing with one's own strength despite knowing it to be impossible, that is the essence of a true man!"

Feng Bo shook his cloak a few times before putting it on and said to Chi Chen with a laugh, "I'll be fine. I hope I will still get to see you later. Don't end up as fish food."

While Feng Bo appeared lighthearted, he was deeply worried about Chi Chen, but he understood that no one else had the ability to face such a flood. This was not just a matter of spiritual power but also courage and boldness.

Just as they were about to split up and act, a strong wind suddenly swept in. Within the gale, Yan Zhuan, Hong Jiang and Luo Jia arrived one after another.

Even before Hong Jiang arrived, his resounding voice could already be heard, decisively saying, "I will guide the waters of Dan River." Apart from the Water Deity who was skilled in manipulating water spirits, no one else would dare to claim such confidence.

Luo Jia smiled and said to Chi Chen, "Yu Shi and Feng Bo have long had an understanding between them. Let Yu Shi assist Feng Bo, while Yan Zhuan and myself will guide Qin River. To prevent Xuan Yuan from taking advantage of the chaos to attack the city, we entrust the defense of Ze Province City to the Grand General."

Chi Chen was momentarily stunned, then smiled broadly and clasped his hands, "Thank you, all three of you."

Yan Zhuan stood proudly on the bifang bird and said with a disdainful expression, "I'm not helping you. I wish you would hurry up and die!"

Feng Bo laughed heartily and shouted to Yu Shi, "Let's go!" With those words, no one saw anything, only feeling two gusts of wind whizzing past them.

For thousands of years, the four great warriors of the Shen Nong tribe had always acted independently, constantly in conflict with one another. In the face of the calamity of the city's destruction, Chi Chen, Yan Zhuan, Luo Jia and Hong Jiang united for the first time. In this world, what could be more inspiring to morale than seeing heroes of their own people united and working together to fight against the enemy?

Since the death of Yu Xiang, the fading sense of pride once again filled the hearts of the Shen Nong people, and all the soldiers let out a deafening roar.

----

In this final section, the tide turns, with help from an unexpected source. But could rousing moments like this last?

The Siege of Ze Province Part 4

Once Promised Vol 2 Ch6 (originally Chapter 9) cont.

Ying Long's entire body was soaked in blood. His dragon head lifted painfully, helplessly looking at the floodwaters that appeared to be as high as the sky.

Scenes from the past flitted one after another. In that small golden pond, a weak, ugly half-dragon half-snake monster announced to all the fishes: Sooner or later, I will become a dragon respected by all aquatic beings!

Over thousands of years of cultivation, amidst countless storms and the burning of thunder and lightning, the excruciating pain of bone destruction gradually faded the snake half of the body away.

All the ambitions, dreams...

"Wooo--"

Amidst the sorrowful roar of the dragon, Ying Long's dragon head weakly collapsed as the water peak crumbled with a deafening roar that shook the heavens and the earth.

However, the torrential downpour did not strike Ying Long's body. Instead, a massive green fish positioned itself as a shield over him, its spiritual power distorting the emerald lights of the water in the sky. The water lights that were originally converged together split into three streams, and dispersed in three directions.

The blue fish shook its tail and fins, guiding the water to descend slowly.

Boom boom-- Boom boom--

After the large green fish shielded Ying Long from the most significant impact, it swiftly darted away. The water rushed thunderously over Ying Long's body, still terrifying, but Ying Long was a dragon after all. Even severely injured, such water could not harm him.

Ying Long thanked him silently in the language of the aquatic beings. However, the large green fish totally ignored him. Its body shrunk somewhat and began spinning rapidly like a spinning top, rushing forward as it spun. A massive whirlpool formed around its body, swirling the water along with it far away from Ze Province City.

Ying Long smiled and closed his eyes, letting the waves carry his heavily injured body to the sea. The only fish that could still remain arrogant in front of his dragon form most likely could only be the legendary God of the Northern Depths, Kun. With the appearance of a creature that has not been seen for tens of thousands of years, the disaster from the flood should be able to be alleviated.

------

Since Yan Zhuan, Hong Jiang and Luo Jia deliberately concealed their tracks, Yi Peng did not see them, only the sudden appearance of a large green fish. What was supposed to be the flood that would destroy the entire Ze Province City was pulled by three powerful spiritual forces, flowing in three directions before finally pouring into the three river beds. Although countless fertile fields and houses were destroyed along the way, causing widespread flooding in the wilderness, they were like three tamed evil dragons, the harm they did being nothing more than minor disturbances.

Yi Peng was extremely furious and disappointed, but he reacted very swiftly and immediately ordered Xuanyuan Xiu to lead the troops and attack. Even if the Shen Nong tribe managed to divert the flood, all their powers were put into diverting the water. Therefore, the defense of Ze Province City should be weak.

Just as the Great Army attacked Ze Province City amidst the chaos, they suddenly saw a man in a red robe, sitting on the city walls.

"Chi Chen, it's Chi Chen!"

All of Xuan Yuan knew that when Chi Chen went to war, he remained calm before the battle, but once he started fighting, he would be extremely cruel and bloodthirsty, leaving almost no survivors. Many even said that the colour of his red robe was particularly dazzling because he liked to dye his blood with human blood. When they heard that Chi Chen had died, the generals of Xuan Yuan breathed a sigh of relief. Now, the sudden sight of Chi Chen appearing on the city wall like a ghost left all of them dumbfounded.

Panicked, Xuanyuan Xiu asked Yi Peng, "Didn't they say he was already dead? How could he suddenly appear? What should we do now?"

Yi Peng had been absolutely certain that the defenses of Ze Province City were weak at this point in time, but Chi Chen standing on top of the city walls against the wind without a single word, looking at them with an ambiguous smile, made him hesitant and unsure.

Attack? Do not attack?

Chi Chen asked with a smile, "Are you going to fight or not?"

Yi Peng told Xuanyuan Xiu, "Why don't we retreat thirty li first. What do you think, Fifth Brother?"

Xuanyuan Xiu replied in a hurry, "I share the same view. Their provisions won't last much longer and they would surrender sooner or later. There is no need for us to make unnecessary sacrifices."

His lips curled slightly, Yi Peng looked at Chi Chen with a grim smile.

------

Seeing the Xuan Yuan soldiers begin to retreat, Chi Chen breathed a sigh of relief. In reality, he was struggling even to stand at this moment, gritting his teeth and pushing through. Even the most ordinary deity general could defeat him.

Hidden in the shadows, A Heng finally relaxed. She looked around and saw that the wilderness outside Ze Province City was flooded, with numerous farmlands and houses destroyed. A war, no matter how it was fought, seemed like a loss from a certain perspective.

------

Hong Jiang was the first to return with the deity soldiers. As expected of the Water Deity, only a few of his subordinates suffered minor injuries.

A short while later, Yan Zhuan and Luo Jia also returned with their soldiers. Luo Jia's face was pale, while Yan Zhuan was in a sorry state, his hair in disarray, the embroidered five-coloured gold flames on his robe smeared with mud. Two of the soldiers were seriously injured. It seemed that no matter how great the spiritual powers of the deities were, battling the elemental forces of nature was never easy.

Following closely behind, Feng Bo and Yu Shi returned with their soldiers, chatting and laughing. The group's gait was unsteady as they walked due to the exhaustion of their spiritual powers. However, their spirits were high and they were animated and lively, showing no signs of having just returned from a perilous ordeal.

With the great calamity averted, everyone was extremely excited, and there was laughter everywhere.

Feng Bo leaned against the wall and plopped down on the ground. "Finally, we can rest for a while. I say, should we have some wine to celebrate?"

In an instant, the joyous atmosphere died down. Not a single person spoke, and the only response to him was silence.

Without even a word of farewell, Yan Zhuan departed on the back of his bifang bird.

Hong Jiang wanted to say something, but he really did not know what to say. After centuries of conflict, while his grievances with Chi Chen were not as serious compared to the enmity between Yan Zhuan and Chi Chen, it was still significant. He silently bowed to Chi Chen, and departed on his mount, a xixi fish.

Feng Bo muttered, "Just pretend I didn't say anything!"

Luo Jia smiled and politely addressed Chi Chen, Feng Bo and Yu Shi, "The Xuan Yuan army is still lingering at the periphery of my camp. I must take my leave as well. We'll drink together next time." The huashe (transformed snake) carried Luo Jia and disappeared into the clouds.

------

Chi Chen who had been smiling and standing upright suddenly coughed up a mouthful of blood and collapsed backwards, unconscious on the ground. Feng Bo hurriedly shouted for a shaman.

Upon checking his condition, the shaman's expression changed drastically. Trembling, he said, "His vital energy is completely depleted, his primordial spirit in chaos. I'm afraid, I'm afraid... we must prepare for the worst."

Feng Bo was stunned, while the four demons Chi, Mei, Liang and Wang grabbed the shaman, furious, and raised their fists to strike. "What did you say?"

A Heng who had been hiding in the shadows could not be bothered to evade any longer, and quickly approached to check Chi Chen's body.

A Heng observed, "He was severely injured, but instead of resting and recovering properly, he forcefully depleting his essence and vitality, trading his lifespan for spiritual power. Now, with compounded injuries, his condition is very serious. If he is treated promptly, his life is indeed at risk."

Feng Bo hurriedly asked, "Chi Chen's cultivation method is different from ours. I dare not recklessly transfer spiritual energy to him. Is there any way we can help him?"

After pondering, A Heng replied, "Do you trust me? If you do, hand Chi Chen to me and I will heal him."

Feng Bo was not aware of A Heng's identity, but he could roughly sense from Chi Chen's words and deeds that there was a significant problem involving the woman he loved. Otherwise, given Chi Chen's unrestrained nature, why would he have suppressed it painfully for so many years?

As Feng Bo hesitated, Yu Shi who had been silent all along, hoarsely said, "You are the woman Chi Chen chose. I trust you." Feng Bo saw Yu Shi nod to him, and the thought of Chi Chen's critical state prompted him to immediately add, "I trust you."

"Then leave Chi Chen to me. When he returns, his spiritual powers will be even greater than before!" A Heng carried Chi Chen, then called for A Bi and Xiāo Yáo, whispering softly to them, "To Bai Li."

liddi:
Based on the leaked script, he tells his (perhaps) tall tale about his head almost eating another out of hunger, and offering to tell more pitiful stories to make her feel better, so it is quite faithful to the novel in that regard.

Good!

liddi:
We do know that they totally changed how that scene ended (snowflake instead of a swift kiss to her forehead) - gah!

I am lamenting the loss of that part. 

liddi:
They did also add the element of the 6-sided lantern which his description to help her understand her parents' stance and their choices despite their love for each other.

If I remember correctly from when you posted about this, I wasn't a huge fan of how it was handled in the script. But we'll see how it end up playing out on screen. 

liddi:
I too had forgotten it was a drama-only addition until I was going through the novel trying to find that scene. This is another addition in the drama where it actually allows Xiao Yao (and by extension the viewers) insight into his thoughts, one which I like. 

Yep.

liddi:
Speaking of which, during my search for fox demon references in the novel, I just realised that the drama replaced the generic powerful fox demon for the Lirong old donkey meat seller and the Guifang clan's Lamp of Time. In the leaked script, Jing was totally compliant to "Xiao Yao"'s seduction, unlike the novel

Totally compliant?

liddi:
Thus far, Chi Chen's source of powers are never properly explained, and based on reader comments and articles, it seems it would remain that way throughout the novel. Nonetheless, will see what opinion I form when I finally finish reading it.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, even if it's just a theory. ^^