liddi:

If that were the case, then only readers who have knowledge of the classics are able to glean the full meaning of what she is trying to imply, which certainly excludes me. As such, I can only infer from what hints I can see from the text itself, and not some unseen lines from poems of bygone years which I never read, and probably would not understand without someone to explain it to me.

Time to go back to school...

I did not pay attention to the title of the chapter at all. For me, it's just number. But it's interesting to read detail analysis of this novel. That is why I keep interest in it and this discussion. I know enough the story plot. Unlike Jinger fan, I prefer the storyline between XL-XY. It requires some digging work already. 

H19279:

I did not pay attention to the title of the chapter at all. For me, it's just number. But it's interesting to read detail analysis of this novel. That is why I keep interest in it and this discussion. I know enough the story plot. Unlike Jinger fan, I prefer the storyline between XL-XY. It requires some digging work already. 

I think it's exactly because the YaoLiu lines are so deliberately obscure that it keeps us honed in on clues that can be inferred. It doesn't help that we rarely get any lines or descriptions about Xiang Liu's own thoughts - most of the time, it is from Xiao Yao's POV with only a few notable exceptions. Unfortunately, it is just way beyond my scope to be able to see a link in text that I never knew and is not directly referenced in the novel itself. That would take someone far more knowledgeable than me...

In any case, I truly appreciate all the discussions. It is taxing but exhaustive, and opens my eyes to new angles and interpretations, even if I may not always agree with them.

** My daughter complains that "Mummy is again on MyDramaList", even if it is all for the love of her beloved Xiang Liu too!

liddi:
That would explain why he had to seal her consciousness and put her in a deep sleep after he had healed her physically, because he knew she was conscious prior to that.

However, it still does not answer my question why the article claimed that Xiang Liu did not really put her under a sleeping spell, when the text describing Xiao Yao indicates that he did do so.

I think XL didn't know her mind or spirit which separated from her body was conscious during 37 years. He was relaxed during the 37 years. He didn't know XY knew what he did in 37 years. Her mind only slept when he slept. On the last treatment, her mind merged with her body and she passed out (unconscious). So she didn't know what happened since that moment till the next morning. she didn't hear when he left. 

I think the 2nd suicide might be similar. Her mind/spirit is awake in the darkness. if her heart is sensitive enough (it was one of very first thing that recovered from limo in 37 years) then she must feel his heart beat when he was nearby. After she got blood fed, she would be come unconscious without any extra spell. And she would not know his actions after that such as erasing the memories, undoing the bugs. We know that her heart was stronger than the initial stage of 37 year (no pulse). How strong was it? Only she knew

I haven't even started reading the post yet, but scrolling up to the top of the  page I saw this pic and nearly fell out of my seat.  

Well played, AH.  Well played. :)

@H19279

Same with the title of chapter 50.
As if it were the wedding of XY and Jing, but the poem was taken from one of the lines of Farwell's poem, about a husband who leaves his wife to go to war... I think I've already posted it in the group.

@H19279

ANOTHER EXAMPLE : Where is the "god" in this wonderful plot of the female version of Xiang Liu?

The title of the chapter 8 "The decline of Hu Bugui :
The Book of Songs Beifeng Shiwei" "shiwei, shiwei, Hu Bugui: It means it's dark, why don't you go home?" The poet appreciates the pain of the corvees and their resentment towards the supreme ruler through emotional reading and meaning reading. The poet was oppressed by the rulers, worked day and night in the wild, had no home, and was miserable. Naturally, he wanted to express his grievances and grievances. This form of questioning, which is undoubtedly doubtful, makes people think. As the saying goes, don’t complain but complain deeply.

The title of the chapter 8 "The decline of Hu Bugui" is Xiang Liu's perspective, but because Xiang Liu's perspective is never written in the book, it is left blank, and this paragraph in the TV series is to fill in the blank space in the book Came in. Let everyone see Xiang Liu's perspective - Xiang Liu has indeed been waiting for Xiao Yao to come home in Qingshui Town.

2. It shows what kind of love Xiangliu's love is - it has no gender bias and gives you freedom.

3. Taking care of the gray line of "朏朏" when Yao and Liu first met, looking at the whole book, whenever Xiao Yao is unhappy, Xiang Liu will relieve her worries, which shows that Xiang Liu's wish has always been - may you live in peace and happiness for the rest of your life. worry!

4. The image of "fireworks". The book often writes about the relationship between Xiang Liu and "fireworks", and the fact that they looked up at the fireworks together further inspired their promotional song - "Prefer Human Fireworks".

Yeah, I too belive the poems aren't picked at random. I did read a few and the resemblance with a lot of stuff from the novel is really uncanny. I don't know in how many languages did the book got officialy translated to, but I am sure the main target is the chinese population, which I belive has enough knowledge about their classics. The poems, from what I read on google, are very popular and well known, they are far from being obscure, they are classics. 

windiaaa041293:

@H19279

Same with the title of chapter 50.
As if it were the wedding of XY and Jing, but the poem was taken from one of the lines of Farwell's poem, about a husband who leaves his wife to go to war... I think I've already posted it in the group.

You make a good point.

The title for Vol 3 Ch17 (Chapter 50) 结发两不疑 Hair Bound Together Without Any Doubts basically means a husband and wife whose love and devotion for each other cannot be doubted.

The title is derived from the poem 留别妻 Parting from My Wife about 苏武 Su Wu, a Chinese diplomat and politician of the Western Han dynasty who was captured during his mission to the Xiongnu, who in turn tried to make him surrender. When he refused, he was exiled for nineteen years, enduring major hardship while remaining faithful to his mission and his homeland. During that time, the Xiongnu government lied to the Han ambassadors that Su had long died but in the end, he managed to send out word that he was alive, and was allowed to return home. Unfortunately, he returned too late and his wife who thought he had died long ago, had remarried.

The following is my attempt to translate the poem itself  (feel free to point out any misinterpretations I might have with the text):

留别妻 Parting from My Wife           (poet unknown)

结发为夫妻,恩爱两不疑
Hair bound together as husband and wife,
With love and devotion that is
 never doubted.
欢娱在今夕,嫣婉及良时。
Sharing in joy this evening,
Wittiness and beauty in this perfect hour.
征夫怀远路,起视夜何其。
Called to a faraway place for war,
Why are eyes lifted into the night.
参晨皆已没,去去从此辞。
With the disappearing dawn,
It is time for us to part.
行役在战场,相见未有期。
Serving on the battlefield,
Not knowing when we will meet again.
握手一长叹,泪为生别滋。
Holding your hand with a long sigh,
Tears flowing as we are parted.
努力爱春华,莫忘欢乐时。
Enjoy the glorious seasons with all your heart,
Never forget times of happiness.
生当复来归,死当长相思
If I survive, I will surely return,
If I die, consider it as an 
unending yearning.

** 结发夫妻 refers to legally married couple, basically the very first official marriage, in an age where men were allowed to take multiple wives/concubines.

The poem depicts Su Wu comforting his wife whom he deeply loved, before he left for the fateful mission, and his promise to her. While it is a sad ending, it reflects on Su Wu, a man of flesh and blood who valued relationships, and loved his wife so deeply. It also allows us to understand how noble the soldiers were, how much they loved their country that they would leave the ones they love for their country and its people.

As pointed out, this chapter covers Xiao Yao, having been reunited with Jing, finds out that the lovers bug has been removed from her body, and finally gets married to him on Xuan Yuan mountain. The title itself should refer to Xiao Yao and Jing being married at last with no more doubts between them. However, the origin of the actual poem from which the title was derived, is about a man who leaves his wife to go to war, and pledges to return if he lives, and for her to miss him if he dies. Despite the parting, he wants his wife to continue to enjoy life, even if he hopes she does not forget their happy times together. In this context, this certainly applies more to Xiang Liu, who sacrifices his personal happiness with the woman he loves, in order to fight with his comrades-in-arms for their lost kingdom. Even without him beside her, he wants her to live her life to the fullest and be happy. 

Without knowing the context of the poem, it is not as clear cut for normal readers whether there is a hidden meaning to it or not. However, for those who are versed in the origins of the poem from which the title is derived, then it provides a haunting subtext for Xiang Liu, which Tong Hua does not put down clearly on paper. This, as the articles you shared mentioned, would serve as one of the novel's multiple hidden narratives.

I guess at the end of it, if we do miss all the potential subtexts in the titles, the epilogue is Tong Hua's final effort to give voice to the one character who has remained deliberately obscure for the greater part of the novel. 

liddi:

If that were the case, then only readers who have knowledge of the classics are able to glean the full meaning of what she is trying to imply, which certainly excludes me. As such, I can only infer from what hints I can see from the text itself, and not some unseen lines from poems of bygone years which I never read, and probably would not understand without someone to explain it to me.

Time to go back to school...

I sense some frustration in this post, liddi. I may be way of. of course. Nevertheless, I would like to say that arts, be it music or literature can be enjoyed at various levels. We each have different backgrounds, educations and experiences which shapes and colours our interaction with the arts. I knows nothing about music theory so my enjoyment of music is different to someone who do. But at the end of the day, it's about our own subjective enjoyment of the art. I don't pretend to know music theory, but I'm.not going to let that stop me from enjoying it in my own way :-).  

It's the same for interpretation of the work. While I wouldn't say that every interpretation is valid (some are just so off that you wondered if they're reading the same work, lol), people are going to think what they want and I don't hink even the artist's intention will change that. 

I recent saw an interview with David Fincher about how Fight Club has been misinterpreted by a certain population. He basically said that he's not responsible for it, that people are going to see what they want to see, he doesn't know how to respond and he doesn't know how to help them ?. If Tong Hua is as blunt as Fincher, she probably would say something like this to the way some of her work has been interpreted.  She and every artist out there! 

This thread has been fun and interesting. Take from it what you can, but don't let it take away from.your enjoyment or think that you need to be some kind of classic Chinese literature expert to enjoy it. Pfff! I highly doubt Tong Hua would wa t that since it would mean less money in her pockets :-)

HeadInTheClouds:
I sense some frustration in this post, liddi.

HeadInTheClouds:
Take from it what you can, but don't let it take away from.your enjoyment or think that you need to be some kind of classic Chinese literature expert to enjoy it.

You're right. There was some measure of frustration in there, because I dislike not being able to grasp the full meaning (if there is more) of a work that I love as is. Chinese classics, poems especially are definitely not my forte, but I am willing to try to analyse and understand it within the context of what it is supposedly meant to convey in the work. To be honest, I still haven't wrapped my mind around "The Partridge's Sky" and how it relates to a hidden narrative involving Xiang Liu in that chapter, so until I do grasp it (assuming I am able to convince myself of the validity of the theories), then I am left with an inevitable sense of annoyance at myself. Chapter 50 on the other hand, was clear cut once I realised which poem it was derived from and the poem's backstory, so there's that. 

Honestly though, for the most part, I rarely paid much attention to the chapter titles - having enough trouble trying to find the hidden lines within the narrative itself. Which means that there is another whole new angle to explore within the novel itself, assuming I have the time, energy and sufficient knowledge and experience to do so. 

Tan Twan Eng's "House of Doors" is still glaring balefully at me for setting it aside for some fictitious world revolving around a Nine-headed Demon... 

liddi:
(assuming I am able to convince myself of the validity of the theories)

Yes. As Tong Hua hasn't come right out to talk about her influences and writing method, we are left to wonder if we are on the right track or if we're simply over-analyzing and seeing things that are actually not there. I don't know much about Tong Hua's background, but given that her historical novels have roots in Chinese' mythology and history, I think it's fair to suspect that she has sufficient interest and understanding of Chinese' literature. Dreams of the Red Chamber is one of 4 Chinese Literature Classics so it's not a stretch to think that Tong Hua had read it, knows about its writing method, and applied it in her own work. Same for The Spring and Autumn Annals and the various classic poems that she'd used as the chapter titles.

liddi:
Honestly though, for the most part, I rarely paid much attention to the chapter titles - having enough trouble trying to find the hidden lines within the narrative itself. Which means that there is another whole new angle to explore within the novel itself, assuming I have the time, energy and sufficient knowledge and experience to do so.

You have time if you are so inclined to explore further. You know the language so you already have the advantage over the rest of us who have to deal with some really bad translation :-). INot for the first time do I wish that I'm fluent in all the world languages so I can experience literature as they are written.

liddi:
Tan Twan Eng's "House of Doors" is still glaring balefully at me for setting it aside for some fictitious world revolving around a Nine-headed Demon...

Xiang Liu is very compelling :-). Besides, we have a little book club thing going on here and have had some great discussions so it's not all fluff. 

I hope you won't be too hard on yourself with this :-)

There is a kind of miss, which is called I love you, but you don't know it. I know, but you are leaving.

Oh you
Even if I can't see you
Can't even hear your voice
But I'm fine
Parting is sad
And my heart hurts
But if you're happy
If you can smile
So I am
The more I delete
The more I miss you
Since today
I shed more tears
Like fate
I can't have someone like you
Only you
As many as my tears
Wish you happy
goodbye My Love

https://www.tiktok.com/@myheartisyours85/video/7299934264349478150?_r=1&u_code=e4fe367i4e8gj9&region=ID&mid=7242956943727315717&preview_pb=0&sharer_language=id&_d=dg6li52gleeckc&share_item_id=7299934264349478150&source=h5_t&timestamp=1699710315&user_id=7159045582216414235&sec_user_id=MS4wLjABAAAAeCYxZvUPoHSebL_YCYBO48mcSyINM5ewS6MV28nJH2EL0MgLfKJAWB8Hfc5z3FbT&social_share_type=0&utm_source=copy&utm_campaign=client_share&utm_medium=android&share_iid=7215035367769605914&share_link_id=0ccc65fd-9aef-4344-b450-dac6a5265e6e&share_app_id=1180&ugbiz_name=Main&ug_btm=b5836%2Cb2878

Behind the poem of chapter 32,souvignon blanc
"A Shadow Headed in Which Direction"

Seeing a wild goose die in love

Huan Haowen "Mo Yu'er·Yanqiu Ci"

"Ask the world, what is love? Direct teaching of life and death. How many times has the old wing been cold and hot? Happy and fun, parting is hard, and there are even more idiots. Jun Yingyou said: There are thousands of miles of clouds, thousands of mountains and twilight snow, who is the only shadow going for?

Hengfen Road, lonely in those days with the flute and drums, the barren smoke is still calm. Conjuring up the soul, He Yiji, the mountain ghosts cry from the wind and rain. Heaven is also jealous, Untrustworthy, Ying'er and Yanzi are all loess. For thousands of years, in order to keep the Sao people, they sang and drank wildly, and visited Yanqiu."

Seeing a wild goose die in love

" Yuan Haowen was a famous writer in the late Jin Dynasty and early Yuan Dynasty. When he was 16 years old, he went to Bingzhou (in Taiyuan today) to take an exam. On the road, he met a man who hunted wild geese and heard him tell a strange story: that morning. After capturing a wild goose and killing it, another wild goose that escaped from the catching net hovered in the air, wailing, refused to leave, and finally hit the ground quickly and died.

Legend has it that the wild geese are very loyal. They are truly consciously monogamous. If one of a pair of wild geese dies unfortunately, the other will never find a partner for life. Therefore, there are always descriptions of lone geese in ancient Poems.

Someone in Dangkou Town, Wuxi caught a wild goose and was about to slaughter it for cooking. When a scholar saw it, he felt compassion for him, so he spent money to buy the wild goose and take it home as a pet. He was worried that the wild goose would escape, so he tied up its two wings with a string so that the wild goose could not fly. The scholar raises it among chickens, ducks and poultry, and it is usually docile, but as soon as he hears the chirping of geese in the air, he keeps his head up and crying. One day, a group of wild geese flew over the sky, and the wild geese screamed loudly. Suddenly a wild geese flew down from the sky and stopped on the eaves. The two wild geese cried relative to each other, flapping their wings as if they had known each other. The wild goose on the ground wants to let the one on the eaves come down, and the wild goose on the eaves wants to bring the one on the ground up. The scholar saw this and understood that these two wild geese must be their former partners, so he cut the thread on the wings of the wild geese on the ground and let them fly away. But this big goose's wings had been tied for too long and could no longer fly. It fluttered its wings, but it just flopped and fell off. It failed repeatedly. The big geese on the eaves guarded it there until it was getting dark, and suddenly flew down from the eaves, and mourned each other beside the geese who were unable to fly. The scholar went to look again the next day, and the two wild geese were already dead.

Moyu'er·Yanqiu Ci" is a lyrical poem. On the surface, it is a metaphor for human love by describing the love of a pair of geese, but in fact it is not just about love. Behind this poem, it also reflects Yuan Haowen's longing for his soul mate and life confident.

How much joy, how much pain, or infatuation like children in the world. The wild goose who sacrificed for love thought to himself at that time: That evening, I crossed thousands of miles of clouds and overlooked the earth, thousands of mountains, all covered by thick snow. It's freezing cold, and the future is uncertain. Now in this world, I am the only one left. Who can come and walk with me? Without a partner, why should I move on?
The relationship between this pair of geese, I am afraid that even the gods will be jealous. Such an infatuated wild goose, I don't believe that after it dies, it will turn into a handful of loess just like those ordinary warblers and swallows. Therefore, when Yuan Haowen became an adult, when he recalled the incident of the death of a geese in love, what he saw in his eyes was no longer a simple relationship between a man and a woman. This kind of feeling is a feeling of longing for "confidant" on a larger scale, including the love between men and women.

A person is actually very afraid of loneliness. But it is very regrettable that most of the time in one's life, one has to face loneliness.We all want to find a soul mate who shares the same aspirations as ourselves, because only in this way can we support us through this lonely and lonely life.No matter if the road ahead is Qianshan Muxue or Huohai Daoshan. As long as there is such a soul mate who is willing to come and walk with us, then we have nothing to fear . On the contrary, we may even lose the confidence to live.

The ancients often said: A scholar dies for a confidant. At the beginning of this poem, a question sentence has been passed to point out the theme of the poem. That is - what kind of feelings can make a person make a contract with another person without fear of life and death?

Everyone is afraid of death. Why do some people not only do not fear death, but actively ask for death after losing their soulmate? Could it be that all of this stems only from the instinctive impulse of animals? Obviously not so.

In fact, the goose who sacrificed for love in the poem did not die for "love", but for the sake of "a thousand mountains and twilight snow, only to whom the shadow goes"! Yuan Haowen obviously felt that it was very difficult to find a soul mate who was willing to die for each other. So he wants to build a grave for Dayan, and then write this poem, so that the literati through the ages will take this opportunity to drink and cry because the confidant is hard to find.

Continue the topic about Chapter title. I found the poem which was used for the title of the last chapter (when XY decided to leave for the ocean after XL died)

Verse about returning/going home

Let's go home! The fields and gardens are about to become desolate, why haven't I returned yet?
I let my soul be dictated by by body, why am I still depressed and sad all alone?
。I understand clearly that things in the past cannot be fixed, but things in the future can be changed.
Because I have not gone deep into the wrong path, I clearly see that today I am right but yesterday I was wrong.
。The boat gently glided, the cool wind blowing my clothes.
。Asking passersby, the road ahead, sadly, the morning sun is dim and unclear.

。Let's go home! From now on, I won't hang out with anyone anymore.
?I and life no longer have anything to do with each other. What is the purpose of socializing?
。 I am happy to listen to the loving words of our loved ones, I am happy with paperwork to relieve the worries in our hearts.
西。 Farmers tell us that spring has come, we must plow the fields in the west.
。 Sometimes I sit in a covered carriage, sometimes I row a small boat.
。I send the boat deep to find the source of the stream, or drive the cart up to the mounds.
。The grass and trees are green and the stream flows continuously.
。 The more I desire to see all things meet in their time, and the more I feel compassion for my origin.

!But forget it!  
?My body blewn to this world, I wonder how long it will last.
?Why don't I just let it go, still panicking and wondering where else to go?
。Being rich is not my wish, but I have no way to reach the fairyland.
。Now that the weather is nice, I go for a walk alone, or pick up wild grass with a stick.
。Going to the edge of the wild fields, I recite songs, wade in streams, we write poetry, and let all things change until the end.
! Be happy with the law of heaven, know the fate, there is nothing more doubtful.

I found the first paragraph says everything about XY's thought about the past and the last 2 paragraphs convey her attitute for future

The english lyric was translated from the vietnamese translated version of this poem. Other part of the poem also gives some points too. 

Bài thơ: Quy khứ lai từ - 歸去來辭 (Đào Tiềm - 陶潛) (thivien.net) 

windiaaa041293:

There is a kind of miss, which is called I love you, but you don't know it. I know, but you are leaving.

Oh you
Even if I can't see you
Can't even hear your voice
But I'm fine
Parting is sad
And my heart hurts
But if you're happy
If you can smile
So I am
The more I delete
The more I miss you
Since today
I shed more tears
Like fate
I can't have someone like you
Only you
As many as my tears
Wish you happy
goodbye My Love

https://www.tiktok.com/@myheartisyours85/video/7299934264349478150?_r=1&u_code=e4fe367i4e8gj9&region=ID&mid=7242956943727315717&preview_pb=0&sharer_language=id&_d=dg6li52gleeckc&share_item_id=7299934264349478150&source=h5_t&timestamp=1699710315&user_id=7159045582216414235&sec_user_id=MS4wLjABAAAAeCYxZvUPoHSebL_YCYBO48mcSyINM5ewS6MV28nJH2EL0MgLfKJAWB8Hfc5z3FbT&social_share_type=0&utm_source=copy&utm_campaign=client_share&utm_medium=android&share_iid=7215035367769605914&share_link_id=0ccc65fd-9aef-4344-b450-dac6a5265e6e&share_app_id=1180&ugbiz_name=Main&ug_btm=b5836%2Cb2878

Such a lovely artwork of Xiang Liu ❤️ Thanks for sharing ˶ᵔ ᵕ ᵔ˶