@Kokuto 

I understand your points. Yes, Xiao Liu said that he doesn't belong to Xiyan, Chenrong nor Haoling but: 

• that only means that he doesn't choose to belong to any side but it doesn't answer where he came from. Given he's living in the neutral Qing Shui Town, it's even more suspicious
  • Xiang Liu knew since day 1 that she was a big liar. Even if he released her, she was still very suspicious to him
  • in the drama, Xiang Liu even asked her "You saved Cang Xuan twice. Are you a nobody?" (episode 12)
  • the famous story of the 2 orphans tells that the princess left Jade Mountain and got lost, so nobody knows her whereabouts since hundreds of years, which makes a striking coincidence with the profile of Xiao Liu 

AH :
There are two main reasons I believe the natural state of the pain-feeling aspect of the connection is one-way. First, that's the one thing that XY was taught about this type of poisonous bug: that it would cause the recipient to feel the pain of the person who planted it, but not the other way around. Second, XY never feels ZX's pain, even when he was shot with an arrow. But ZX was definitely able to feel her pain, and she was able to feel when he was approaching. Those two things are true in both the novel and the drama. And in the drama, XL describes the bug as causing only the recipient to feel the pain of the person who planted the bug, and the old man recognizes the bug based on that description.

The Voodoo King also says that if one host is injured, the other host will be injured. But we know that is not the case. Only pain is transferred between the person who planted the bug and the recipient unless one of the hosts dies, in which case the other host will also die. 

You have a valid point there. And yet, Xiang Liu is able to make Xiao Yao feel pain as we see in Vol 2 Ch9 (Chapter 26,  Ep37) during Cang Xuan's wedding:

Xiao Yao felt as if her heart was being torn apart by a large hand, so painful like it was about to be shattered, but she kept on smiling. Suddenly her heart beat violently and Xiao Yao could no longer maintain her smile.

and Vol 2 Ch15 (Chapter 32) when he reminds her of this:

As Xiao Yao turned to leave, Xiang Liu said, "Let me remind you that the poisonous bug is still there. If you dare reveal that I am Fangfeng Bei, don't blame me if you die from the pain of my hurting your heart."

Xiao Yao suddenly stopped and turned around to look at Xiang Liu.

"Don't believe me?"

Xiao Yao's heart felt severe pain like it was pierced by a sharp sword. It was so excruciating that her limbs spasmed in pain and she slumped to the ground.

Xiang Liu was like a creator god who held her life and death in his hands. He looked down at her indifferently and said, "If you don't wish to die, don't say things you shouldn't!"

Xiao Yao's face was ashen from the pain, her forehead beaded with sweat, yet she raised her face and said with a smile, "Is this the reason you have no time to go to Jiu Li to remove the bug? To control my life and death and threaten me with it one day? What a powerful General Xiang Liu you are!"

In other words, it can be reciprocal and the recipient can also deliberately harm the one who planted the bug. Could it be that in Zhuan Xu's case, she could not feel his pain because it was never successfully planted in the first place. Whereas for Xiang Liu who willingly accepted it, the full capacity of the lover's bug is realised.  If this were true, then I still believe that the only reason she doesn't feel anything is because Xiang Liu shields her from anything to do with him, just as he always had.

blimarch:

@Kokuto 

I understand your points. Yes, Xiao Liu said that he doesn't belong to Xiyan, Chenrong nor Haoling but: 

• that only means that he doesn't choose to belong to any side but it doesn't answer where he came from. Given he's living in the neutral Qing Shui Town, it's even more suspicious
  • Xiang Liu knew since day 1 that she was a big liar. Even if he released her, she was still very suspicious to him
  • in the drama, Xiang Liu even asked her "You saved Cang Xuan twice. Are you a nobody?" (episode 12)
  • the famous story of the 2 orphans tells that the princess left Jade Mountain and got lost, so nobody knows her whereabouts since hundreds of years, which makes a striking coincidence with the profile of Xiao Liu 

Actually, the princess does belong to Haolin.  Normally, the ruling class have duties and obligations that will benefit Haolin.  But again, why wouldn't a princess choose to be a princess?  Many people in Qing Shui town do have shady pasts that they don't want to talk about, which is why XL probably cut XY some slack in their first meeting.

Yes, I agree.  XL was suspicious of XY, which is part of the reason why he wanted to impress on her his lack of tolerance for her disobedience and trying to play word games with his orders.

But that story doesn't say the princess is hiding from her family.  It just says she got lost / died.  So why would he think this lying woman was a princess?  A princess should be looking for her family, not hiding out in Qing Shui Town.  And she was hiding, as you pointed out, she avoided revealing herself to CX several times.

I think the better question is why didn't XL realize who the disguised CX really was?  He came to town about the same time that XL started having a spy infestation, as well as attempts on his life.  He clearly had money to throw around, and then there was that really annoyingly awful spoiled 'sister' with a spirit powered guard.

Of course, he realized fairly quickly, if not right away, who 17 was.

@liddi

You have a valid point there. And yet, Xiang Liu is able to make Xiao Yao feel pain as we see in Vol 2 Ch9 (Chapter 26,  Ep37) during Cang Xuan's wedding:

Xiao Yao felt as if her heart was being torn apart by a large hand, so painful like it was about to be shattered, but she kept on smiling. Suddenly her heart beat violently and Xiao Yao could no longer maintain her smile.

Was that XL's pain?  It wasn't clear in the drama.  It seemed like she was having a heart attack or something.  I would think the violent heartbeat would be XL trying to steady her?

As Xiao Yao turned to leave, Xiang Liu said, "Let me remind you that the poisonous bug is still there. If you dare reveal that I am Fangfeng Bei, don't blame me if you die from the pain of my hurting your heart."

In other words, it can be reciprocal and the recipient can also deliberately harm the one who planted the bug. Could it be that in Zhuan Xu's case, she could not feel his pain because it was never successfully planted in the first place. Whereas for Xiang Liu who willingly accepted it, the full capacity of the lover's bug is realised.  If this were true, then I still believe that the only reason she doesn't feel anything is because Xiang Liu shields her from anything to do with him, just as he always had.

I was surprised to read that XL could use the Poision Love Bug to cause her pain instead of transferring his pain.  Though, he seems to have control over how much either of them feel through the link.  It seems somewhere, maybe it was in the book, that it was said that the person with the stronger power, could control the bug, instead of the person who raised and planted the bug.  Which is why XL was controlling the bug.

liddi:
And yet, Xiang Liu is able to make Xiao Yao feel pain as we see in Vol 2 Ch9 (Chapter 26,  Ep37) during Cang Xuan's wedding:

liddi:

Lol, we are mostly on the same page and citing the same chapters. That's why I said "My understanding was that the natural state of the connection should cause XL to always be able to feel XY's pain and heartache (but not the other way around) ... But XL is powerful enough that he can ... And XL can make XY feel *his* pain if and when he wants to, which he makes clear at the end of chapter 32."

It's really not a hugely important point, but in my interpretation XL has to actively stop XY from feeling most of the other things (like his heartbeat or his presence) which means sometimes he can slip. Whereas XY will never feel XL's pain unless he intentionally uses the connection to make her feel that pain. Which is good because he's probably badly injured often and at his weakest / least able to control the connection when he's badly injured. 

AH  VIP

Lol, we are mostly on the same page and citing the same chapters. That's why I said "My understanding was that the natural state of the connection should cause XL to always be able to feel XY's pain and heartache (but not the other way around) ... But XL is powerful enough that he can ... And XL can make XY feel *his* pain if and when he wants to, which he makes clear at the end of chapter 32."

It's really not a hugely important point, but in my interpretation XL has to actively stop XY from feeling most of the other things (like his heartbeat or his presence) which means sometimes he can slip. Whereas XY will never feel XL's pain unless he intentionally uses the connection to make her feel that pain. Which is good because he's probably badly injured often and at his weakest / least able to control the connection when he's badly injured. 

But he isn't making XY feel HIS pain in that chapter where he's telling her to keep his identity secret.  I mean, he's not feeling a sword in his heart.  He's just making HER feel pain.  I guess, it's like the reverse of feeding her spirit power and life through the bug link, when she was assassinated?

blimarch:
How come Xiang Liu never suspected that Xiao Liu was the long lost Haoling great princess?

blimarch:
how come, Xiang Liu being that smart still couldn’t have connected the dots and guessed that Xiao Liu was the great princess of Haoling sooner? Was he misdirected because Xiao Liu didn't revealed herself to Cang Xuan and even tried to escape from him ?

There are a lot of factors, but yes the way she interacts with CX is probably one of them.

---

Chapter 2:

When the aura of death came hurtling over, Xiao Liu tumbled and tried to avoid it while saying, “My lord, I really am Wen Xiao Liu. Maybe I’m not ONLY Wen Xiao Liu, but I have no intention to harm the resistance army under General Gong Gong. I don’t belong to the Kingdom of Xuan Yuan, or the Kingdom of Gao Xing, and not to the Kingdom of Sheng Nong. I am just… I am just someone who has been discarded. I have no ability to protect myself, I have no one to rely on, I have nowhere to go. So that is why I chose to be Wen Xiao Liu in Qing Shui Town. If my lord will allow it, I wish to be Wen Xiao Liu for the rest of my life.”

---

When XL first meets XY, he knows that: (1) she is a woman; (2) which means her male form must be a disguise, even though it's impossible to see through; and (3) she is extremely proficient with poisons.

Then XY tells him that she is a discarded person with no where to go. Someone who does not belong to Xuan Yuan (Xiyan) or Gao Xing (Haoling). 

Then his subordinate returns and confirms that her story checks out: she has been practicing medicine at a clinic in neutral QS Town with a lower-level god and two mortals for twenty hears. 

At this point, the Eldest Princess of Haoling was presumed to be long dead, and ZX's search for her seemed like a lost cause. As far as I can recall, the story of the orphans being a household tale known by all wasn't really a thing in the novel. The lost princess certainly wouldn't be someone of interest to XL. 

Anyway, there's no reason for XL to think that the lost princess would sincerely describe herself as a discarded person with nowhere to go. If XL was aware of the princess' story, he would also be aware that ZX had been looking for her persistently for 200 years and would have no reason to believe that she wouldn't consider Jade Mountain or Five Gods Mountain (or even Xuan Yuan) to be places where she could go. 

There's also no reason for XL to think that the lost princess would be a poison master or that she would choose to become a humble clinician living with mortals for twenty years.

And they quickly develop a rapport and become frenemies or, as XY later puts it, "a friend who is not quite a friend". Although XY is hiding her identity, XL is not. It would be unfathomable to him that the Yellow Emperor's granddaughter, the General Princess' daughter, and ZX's sister-cousin would become his sort-of-friend. I feel like this is probably the most important point. The are firmly on opposite sides of an intractable war. By all rights, they should be fated to be deadly enemies (the way XL is with ZX), and nothing else.

Lastly, it takes XY a long time to figure out ZX's identity, and when she does finally figure it out, as you mentioned, she doesn't reveal her own identity to him. She tried to run away rather than go with him to Gao Xing, and ZX broke her legs for it. 

Kokuto:
Of course, he realized fairly quickly, if not right away, who 17 was.

XL recognized TSJ immediately, despite his attire and different name. They had done business together for hundreds of years before either of them met XY. 

But XL always wore a mask, so when FFB appeared later TSJ didn't initially know that he was / looked like XL.

Edit: Correction. I didn't remember this part correctly. XL always wore a mask in front of ZX but didn't always wear one in front of TSJ. TSJ did know what XL's face looked like. There is a point in the novel where XY wonders why TSJ didn't ask about FFB looking like XL. Later, TSJ confirms that he knows that XL is FFB.

Kokuto:
But he isn't making XY feel HIS pain in that chapter where he's telling her to keep his identity secret.  I mean, he's not feeling a sword in his heart.  He's just making HER feel pain.  I guess, it's like the reverse of feeding her spirit power and life through the bug link, when she was assassinated?

I think there was some back and forth on this earlier in this thread or maybe in the main comment section. I'm still on the fence. I think you're probably right - XL probably is not experiencing that exact pain in that moment and instead he is just using the connection to create that pain in XY. 

But some of the possible alternatives are interesting to think about. Given how forcefully painful heartache is at other times in the novel (think of how badly XY's heart and health are affected after her breakup with TSJ), perhaps XL was able to cause that effect in XY by tapping into and channeling his own heartache.  Or perhaps the poison training that he does means that he's always experiencing that level of pain, and he just gives XY a taste of it. Who knows. It's one of those parts that Tong Hua leaves vague, so the readers have some freedom to speculate and form different interpretations. 

AH :
Given how forcefully painful heartache is at other times in the novel (think of how badly XY's heart and health are affected after her breakup with TSJ), perhaps XL was able to cause that effect in XY by tapping into and channeling his own heartache.

Oh, wait. So you're saying that the aftermath of XY and TSJ's breakup could have been caused by XL?

AH  VIP

I think there was some back and forth on this earlier in this thread or maybe in the main comment section. I'm still on the fence. I think you're probably right - XL probably is not experience that exact pain in that moment and instead he is just using the connection to create that pain in XY. But some of the possible alternatives are interesting to think about. Given how forcefully painful heartache is at other times in the novel (think of how badly XY's heart and health are affected after her breakup with TSJ), perhaps XL was able to cause that effect in XY by tapping into and channeling his own heartache.  Or perhaps the poison training that he does means that he's always experiencing that level of pain, and he just gives XY a taste of it. Who knows. It's one of those parts that Tong Hua leaves vague, so the readers have some freedom to speculate and form different interpretations.

Seriously, AH???  It's bad enough that we know XL can feel XY making out with Jing, but now you want him to be constantly in severe pain from his own heartache?  Or from his poisoning?  Nope.  No way.  Not from the poisoning.  He enjoys sharing that with XY so much.

@AH @Kokuto

My theory is that they can inflict pain on the other person by experiencing the same pain themselves. We see it with Xiao Yao - any pain she feels is felt by Zhuan Xu, then Xiang Liu - be it physical or emotional. By the same token, she should also be able to feel the pain of the recipient, and the only reason she didn't is because Zhuan Xu did not willing accept the bug, while Xiang Liu has the ability to block the connection at will probably because he is more powerful, and he has been actively shielding her from it for 120+ years. 

Xiang Liu himself has admitted that he is able to feel Xiao Yao's emotions. As such, it stands to reason that the pain he inflicted upon her is actually the pain he personally feels from his own grief, even if he masks it as a deliberate threat. Which is why the rare instances when he does slip is so precious, because it allows Xiao Yao rare insight to how he is affected, even if she brushes it off as an illusion or false impression. 

AH :

XL recognized TSJ immediately, despite his attire and different name. They had done business together for hundreds of years before either of them met XY. But XL always wore a mask, so when FFB appeared later TSJ didn't initially know that he was / looked like XL.

Ah, but in the drama, XL didn't always wear a mask around 17 -- like when he was picking up or dropping off XY.  I think that was a continuity error on the part of the drama, though.  Before XY, though, I'm betting XL was careful to keep the two identities separate with the mask.

Cause in the drama, I wondered why he didn't subject Jing / 17 to the same lethal interrogation he did XY.  But if he recognized Jing immediately, it makes sense that wouldn't need to.

nathsketch:

Oh, wait. So you're saying that the aftermath of XY and TSJ's breakup could have been caused by XL? 

No, definitely not. I'm saying that Dahuang is... well think of the amount of blood-spitting that happens in your average xianxia. More than normal, even for people who are maybe constantly fighting, yes? Dahuang is like that for people experiencing heartbreak. It tends to manifest physically and very dramatically. Both TSJ and XY become very ill after their breakup. For XY:

Xiao Yao’s body pitched forward and Zhuan Xu flew up to catch her in his arms and Xiao Yao spit up blood on Zhuan Xu’s collar.

“He said you are suddenly so distraught that your spirit couldn’t move through your body, but to keep your sorrow tamped down it caused harm to your heart and what you spit out was a congealed blood clot on your heart. It’s better now and you have to rest well in the coming days and not to have wild mood swings.”

Given the heartbreak that XL is experiencing, I wouldn't be shocked to find out that it might feel like a metaphorical sword slicing into his heart. 

Kokuto:
Seriously, AH???  It's bad enough that we know XL can feel XY making out with Jing, but now you want him to be constantly in severe pain from his own heartache?  Or from his poisoning?  Nope.  No way.  Not from the poisoning.  He enjoys sharing that with XY so much.

Lol, although I don't exactly want it to be that way, I'll admit there is something kind of appealing about the massive angst that goes with that concept. And I'd like to think that XY would then be something like a balm to him, especially when he gets to feel her joy through their connection.