blabla100:
alongside with wuttering heights and gone with the wind.

We fall in the same pit. Haha.

In term of adaption, those two movies were very close too the books. I prefer the movie to the novel version with Wuttering Heights and the opposite for Gone with the Wind. However, all main acters, actress of those movies are classic. I love them all. 

Posted by windiaaa

"In almost every relationship in the book, there are bystanders who jump out of the perspective of the person involved in the story to more clearly portray the full picture of the character or event from the side.

The bystanders of Yaoxuan are like Huangdi and Xinyue, the bystanders of Yaojing are like Huangdi, Zhuanxu, and Fenglong, and the bystanders of Xuannian are like Huangdi, Jundi, and Xiaoyao.

The bystanders in Yaoliu include Emperor Jun, Chishui Xian, Anian, Junjun and Zhuanxu, as well as Huangdi who sees everything (my grandfather is actually the biggest melon owner in the book).

Huangdi's line is the longest observer's perspective.

Since both Yaoxuan and Yaojing are on the bright side, Xiaoyao will not be secretive when talking about them, and onlookers will have clear understanding and judgment; while Yaoliu is on the dark side, and Xiaoyao rarely talks about it with others. .

Xiaoyao and Xiaoliu have a common characteristic when they speak: they keep their words to themselves and only tell the part of the truth that can be heard. If Xiao Yao really said everything, it would be impossible to keep the secret that Fang Feng Bei was Xiang Liu until the end. She hid Xiang Liu and Fang Feng Bei from her relatives and friends, just like she hid her origins and relationship with Xuan from Xiang Liu in Qingshui Town. The approach is exactly the same.

The Zhuyanhua no longer has the function of transformation. Xiaoyao's face corresponds to Xiaoyao's identity, and Xiaoyao's identity means that she is restricted in what she says and does. She is almost never in front of her relatives and friends. When it comes to his feelings for Xiang Liu, everyone except Huang Di.

Perhaps because he knew that his grandfather felt guilty about his grandmother and mother, and felt indebted to himself, he became more careless. Perhaps because she cared more about Xiang Liu being Zhuan Xu's enemy, and my grandfather had given up his power and abdicated, so Xiang Liu was not considered his enemy. Perhaps because she had talked about her husband before, she had expressed her feelings in a joking way, so she was not as wary of her grandfather. She may even find that her grandfather can understand her and see through her thoughts, and she secretly hopes that this wise old man can give her some guidance and help.

Grandpa is actually the only person in this story who Xiaoyao will take the initiative to reveal even a little bit of his feelings for Xiang Liu.

Before writing about Yaoliu from Grandpa’s perspective, let’s first write about Xiaoyao from Grandpa’s perspective:

When Xiaoyao just returned to Yunfeng, Huangdi said:

"Huang Di stared at Xiao Yao for a while and sighed, "You have such a personality, completely opposite to your mother and your grandmother. "

Xiaoyao giggled and made a face at Huangdi, "What's the benefit of being like them? They just make men easier and hurt themselves!"

<1-15 Thinking about the past can easily lead to injury>

This is Huangdi's first impression of his granddaughter whom he has not seen for more than three hundred years. It is also the image Xiaoyao creates to the outside world. It is the way Xiaoyao lets himself show: I will not compromise my sincerity for a man.

But later, Huangdi often felt that Xiaoyao looked like her grandmother and mother.

“After the marriage is decided, it’s time to discuss the wedding date.

Jing thought the sooner the better...

Huangdi asked Xiaoyao what she thought about the wedding date.

Xiaoyao looked at the busy doctors outside the window, thought for a while , and said, "I want to wait until the compilation of medical books is clear before confirming the wedding date."

Huang Di said: " This is not a matter of two or three years . Are you sure?"

Xiaoyao nodded: "The "Shen Nong's Materia Medica" has been in my hands for more than four hundred years. It has saved my life, but I have never done anything for it. In other words, I want to taste all kinds of herbs for that person. Yandi, who died of poisoning, should do something. What he spent his whole life on should not become a tool for a few doctors to exchange money and fame. "

Huangdi sighed: "Xiaoyao, you keep saying that you are not like your mother, but in fact, you are very similar to your mother! "

Xiaoyao frowned: "I'm not like her!"

Huang Di smiled and said: "Okay, it doesn't look like it, it doesn't look like it!"

In the evening, when Zhuanxu came to Xiaoyueding, he heard Xiaoyao's decision on the wedding date and smiled: "Very good."

Maybe because she was engaged to Jing, Xiaoyao began to realize that her days in Xiaoyue Ding were limited, and the time she spent with Zhuanxu was not unlimited ; maybe it was because although Xuanyuan and Gao Xin had casualties in the war, no one knew Xiaoyao People died. If you don't inquire about it, you will hardly feel the war thousands of miles away. Xiaoyao no longer avoids Zhuanxu. The relationship between the two resumed . Every evening, Zhuanxu would come and spend some time talking and laughing with Xiaoyao. "

<3-5 The enemy is so close that nothing can be done>

Judging from the content of the conversation , Huangdi said that Xiaoyao is like Aheng, which means that her act of compiling medical books for the world is like her mother. No matter what she says, she still has great love in her heart. Although Xiaoyao really has it in her heart, This point of great love is doubtful.

But from the writing point of view, it has another meaning.

Here we first use contrast : Jing desperately wants to get married, while Xiaoyao "thought about it for a while" and decided to compile medical books first.

Then the topic changed . After getting engaged to Jing, "the time spent with Zhuanxu is not unlimited" and "restored the previous relationship" with Zhuanxu .

After this paragraph, the timeline is quickly drawn :

"The cold and summer come and go, and the peaceful days pass so quickly. Before I know it, eight years have passed."

<3-5 The enemy is so close that nothing can be done>

Next : Xiaoyao meets a man in brocade clothes on the road, chasing after chasing after catching Xiang Liu along the way.

According to the normal development of romance, if the author wants to highlight the love between two people, he must write about the interactions between them and their alone time together.

But what is the author doing? First, it compares how Jing was anxious after getting engaged while Xiao Yao was not anxious, and then writes about how the brother and sister get along, and then writes about Xiao Yao running into her ex-boyfriend and chasing her all the way, and a long paragraph about Xiao Yao recognizing Xiang Liu based on intuition alone. A plot that drives the plot forward. What exactly do you want to highlight?

You taste it, you taste it carefully.

Can’t medical books be revised in Qingqiu? Even when he married Fenglong, Fenglong said that he had arrived in Chishui:

"If you like to learn medical skills, you can continue to study. Even if you want to practice medicine in the future, I will definitely support you."

<2-14 Chasing the past makes me miserable>

So why can’t I study medical books after getting married? Qingqiu has no table or house? Isn’t the home of the richest man in Dahuang not big enough? Taking ten thousand steps back, Qingqiu just can't study medical books. After getting married, Xiaoyao will live in Xiaoyue Ding and continue to study medical books. Jing will never object even a word, right?

But the author just wanted to write. She said she wanted to study medicine first and then get married.

Very subtle.

Compare this to the last time Xiaoyao was about to marry Fenglong , she first sent an ice crystal ball to Xiang Liu, and then went to Qingqiu. What is this doing? Just like undoing poison and not making poison, if you really get married, you have to say goodbye to the past. Clean up the previous relationships.

Obviously, although Xiaoyao and Jing were engaged, she was not ready to get married. It is really necessary to study the medical books, but you must complete the medical books before getting married. It is very much like an excuse to delay marriage. Why delay? It's nothing more than that I am still thinking about someone in my heart and need to give myself time to let go and forget.

So much so that it took forty-two years for the medical book to be completed:

"Back at Shennong Mountain, Xiaoyao suddenly found that there was nothing to do, and she couldn't adapt.

Discuss with Jing: "Do you think I should go to Zezhou City to open a medical clinic?"

"But Zezhou is close and Qingqiu City is far away. It's inconvenient to go back and forth every day!"

"If you live in Qingqiu, Qingqiu City is definitely more convenient."

"Huh? I live in Qingqiu?" Xiaoyao still didn't react for a moment.

Jing said with a smile: "The Tushan Mansion in Qingqiu has already been packed and decorated, and the wedding can be held at any time."

<3-8 Passionate but always ruthless>

It can be seen almost clearly from this conversation that Xiaoyao wants companionship. Once she has adapted and got used to this companionship, it will not matter whether she gets married or not. Anyway, this person has been locked in.

Huangdi was happy to see the marriage between Xiaoyao and Jing. One of the reasons was naturally that he discovered that Zhuanxu had unusual feelings for Xiaoyao and wanted to end his thoughts about him quickly, otherwise he would become an infatuated emperor. What to do. He was different from Emperor Jun. Emperor Jun advised Xiaoyao to stay away from Xiang Liu because he wanted to protect Xiaoyao, while Emperor Huang wanted to protect his heir.

What about other reasons? Let me guess the old man's heart privately: Zhuanxu, you don't know, your sister has fallen in love with the devil Xiang Liu. If she doesn’t get married quickly, there’s no telling how many things will happen in the future!

Putting it this way, it feels like Huangdi is actually more anxious than Jing to get Xiaoyao to get married soon.

Therefore, when Huangdi said: "You and your mother are very similar" , another meaning is: you and your mother have the same vision, and they both fall in love with the person you shouldn't love.

Xiaoyao said she was afraid of men like Huangdi, Jundi and her brother, but in fact the type she loved was exactly the same as the one her mother and grandmother loved. It's hard to say what would have happened to Xiaoyao and her cousin if her cousin hadn't needed to use her power to push her to Jing and Fenglong at the beginning.

You don’t know it, but genes are really amazing, and their visions are all the same.

But besides Huangdi initially saying that Xiaoyao looked a bit like Alei, when he thought of Alei through Xiaoyao, it was mostly because of the state of Xiaoyao and Jing:

"Huang Di didn't know whether it was because he was old, or because Xiao Yao with his eyes closed looked too much like the young girl in his memory , Huang Di felt his eyes were a little sore. He made countless people happy in his life, but most of his relatives Unfortunately , like the sun, its radiance shines on the earth and makes all things grow, but those who are really close to the sun will be burned. He is already old, and the past cannot be traced, but now, he really hopes for the warmth of hugging under the locust tree It really lasts forever.”

<3-1 The east wind is evil and happiness is thin>

"Xiao Yao with lowered eyes looks so much like her! Huang Di seemed to see Xiao Yao in front of him guarding a lonely room and growing old rapidly. His hair was stained with flying frost, his flower-like face was withered, and he was aging in Chaoyun Palace. The lonely figure overlapped with Xiao Yao in front of him, and Huang Di couldn't bear to look at it anymore and suddenly closed his eyes."

<3-9 Hun Meng An Neng Ding>

Through Huangdi's perspective, we saw the peaceful years of Xiaoyao and Jing, and also saw the heavy blow that Jing's "death" brought to Xiaoyao. I saw that Jing could give Xiaoyao the stable life she wanted, and I also saw the overwhelming sadness after the huge hope was shattered.

But after reading "Zeng Xunuo", you will know what kind of relationship between Huangdi and Alei. Alei liked Huangdi, but Huangdi's feelings for her were not pure. But they have been together through thick and thin, and they have built the Xuanyuan Kingdom together. Even if it is not love, after all, the husband and wife still have a deep and complicated friendship when they work together.

"Huang Di seemed to have guessed what Xiao Yao was thinking, and said: "Your grandmother was once as young as you. Her beauty and talent were famous throughout the world. Many good men wanted to marry her, but unfortunately, she chose the wrong person . . ""

<1-15 Thinking about the past can easily lead to injury>

Huang Di believed that Ah Le had "chosen the wrong person" when she chose him , and he ended up feeling haggard and unhappy in his life. He hoped that Xiaoyao would get what Alei didn't get; there were too many factors mixed up between Alei and himself, and there was no real everlasting relationship. He hoped that Xiaoyao and Jing could "really" last forever; Xiaoyao lost Jing, and he I think of Ah Lei after she broke up with him, her hair stained with frost and her face withered.

"Tonghua

As early as 2019, Tonghua hinted at the correct way for readers to open this book in the introduction of "Sauvignon Blanc 1 Like First Meeting".
"Everything is just a gray line of grass and snakes, stretching for thousands of miles.""
What we can see with the naked eye is really the truth of everything?" Its traces and gray lines are left on the paper, and its context can be discerned, which is a metaphor for things leaving vague clues and signs that can be found. The so-called "the gray line of grass and snakes, the hidden pulse is thousands of miles away" means that before an event happens, the author has already written some signs of its occurrence (i.e., foreshadowing), so that people will not feel surprised about it. Therefore, although the author's pen seems to be writing "A", he can inadvertently write "B", so that the plot about "B" can also progress, and readers can naturally understand the work slightly. From this line "Fu Mai" fills in other plots about "B". Through this, we can weave a network, write about someone at a certain time, and write about other people "in the midst of our busy schedule", so that multiple plot lines blend with each other and become integrated. Some scholars have generally summarized the use of this technique in the writing of "A Dream of Red Mansions" in three aspects: as a structural clue, as a "metaphorical" expression, and as "foreshadowing" and "anaphora." The whole process of Yao Jing's emotional line actually uses the "grass snake gray line". The author seems to be writing about the marriage of Sang Tian'er and Chuanzi, but it makes the plot about Yao Jing also progress. Using Sang Tian'er and Chuan Zi Strings of characters are used to hint at the nature of the love between Xiaoyao and Tushanjing. The inconvenience of Xiaoyao's feelings for Tushanjing in the book is already reflected in Sang Tianer's words. The writing method "Gray threads of grass and snakes can run thousands of miles" runs through the whole book of "Sauvignon Blanc". The most typical example is the metaphor of the nine-tailed fox and the snake demon. This story is a clue that runs through the entire book. It is easy to understand that "Qing is Dai Ying, Xi is Chai Fu", which means writing one character to profile another character. Let me give two examples here. 1. Chi You and A Heng: Xiang Liu and Xiao Yaodescribes the love between Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao by comparing Chi You and A Heng. The book links Xiang Liu and Chi You many times, and compares Xiao Yao and his mother. The implication is that if Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu are together, the tragic ending of the previous generation will serve as a lesson to the past. 2. Left ear: Xiang Liuwrites about Xiang Liu by describing his left ear. Chi You and A Heng are the possibilities that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao would face if they broke through the window paper and expressed their love for each other; Zuo Er and Miao Pu are the possibilities that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao would have faced if they had not met Gong Gong. Another possibility for Yao. This is "Qing is the dark shadow, and the attack is the hairpin."

H19279:

We fall in the same pit. Haha.

In term of adaption, those two movies were very close too the books. I prefer the movie to the novel version with Wuttering Heights and the opposite for Gone with the Wind. However, all main acters, actress of those movies are classic. I love them all. 

Which version of WH are you reffering to? I prefer the books for both, altough gone with the wind - the movie is close to perfection. Funny because just the other day I was thinking that I do find some similarities between Scarlet-Rhett-Ashley and XY-XL-Jing. 

windiaaa041293:
Even Mr. Ah Bi knows that they love each other, and the person Xiaoyao misses is himself (xl)

I have a question to all of you. Why did Sir Bi say to XL " “Even if Tu Shan Jing is dead, I’m still relieved that the guy Xiao Yao picked was him.”. 

I don't think because of  not only that he did not  want to see that the history repeated (XY-XL ~ AH-Chi You). 

"Sir Bi stared at Xiang Liu “I heard your reputation isn’t so good out in the world?”

Xiang Liu chuckled “My reputation is just a hairsbreadth better than Qi Yo.”

Sir Bir grew silent before asking “You and Xiao Yao……….you two really are just friends?”

Xiang Liu smiled before turning to look at Xiao Yao “The person Xiao Yao is missing is Tu Shan Jing.”

Sir Bi sighed in relief “That’s good.”

Xiang Liu said mockingly “Can’t believe my reputation is so bad even a demon raised by Qi Yo would disdain me.”

Sir Bi shook his head “No, I don’t disdain you at all. It’s the opposite, I truly respect you! Your heart is as clear as crystal, even my voice cannot enchant you or lead you astray. Power, wealth, and glory hold no sway or temptation for you.”

Sir Bi stared at Xiang Liu and looked truly conflicted, like he was looking at Xiang Liu but seeing another great man from long ago “It’s not that you’re not good……..it’s just that…….for Xiao Yao……” Sir Bi sighed loudly “Even if Tu Shan Jing is dead, I’m still relieved that the guy Xiao Yao picked was him.”

blabla100:

@MengXiang

"TH message posted by @W and @liddi says something along the lines of she didn't think love was everything in life." 

I interpret this QUOTE differenly. Not that XY never found complete love, because IMO she did for sure, but that love alone can't make up for everything else în life, thus her ending with Jing allows her to experience all the other things that otherwise she couldn't had have if her choice was "love", such as living a long and peaceful life, having babies, enjoying a simple day to day life 

Here comes a third interpretation. I see Tong Hua comments as more general. While love is an important aspect of life, it's not everything and there are other things that are also important. This applies to XL and his commitment to the resistance army; and to CX and his pursuit of the throne. It ironic then, that for the two people that ended up together, love was everything to a rather unhealthy degree. Perhaps I should say that to Jing, love is everything because for XY it is more about not being alone. Maybe Tong Hua is secretly telling us that this relationship is unhealthy :-)

blabla100:

@windiaaa041293

"Even the perfume used by Xiaoyao and Miao Pu is called "Dream", which is the name of Fangfeng Bei and her"

Yes, if I am not mistaken, she made that perfume for herself when she used to hang out with FFBei and she named it Dream. She eventually gave it to MiaoPu to use it. 

This is another setup by the author for Miao Pu/Left Ear to present what could have been for XiaoLiu. Just like Tian-Er/Chuan Zi was used as a mirror/foreshadowing of Xiao/Jing relationship. XY's wishfulness whenever she observed Left Ear/Miao Pu is telling.

blabla100:

@HeadInTheClouds

"LYF is no Crimes and Punishment"

Lol, you just mentioned another of my favs, alongside with wuttering heights and gone with the wind.  Let me look for that article, see if I can find it. 

I have to confess that I never finished Crimes and Punishment. I started it as an attempt to impress my crush at the time who claimed to be a lit buff (now I think he was just a poseur) and you can't get any more serious in lit than Dostoevsky. Lol.  Wuthering Height is fantastic. Loved the passion and obsession and Heathcliff's unhinged revenge is a cautionary tale. Gone with the Wind, I don't remember the details, only that Scarlett was a compelling protagonist. Deeply unlikeable, but compelling. And I loved Melanie. Both Scarlett and Melanie are strong in their own ways.

@H19279

We had discussed this fragment in the past, personally I belive SirBi is relieved because if XL would had expressed his feelings to XY, she would, without a doubt IMO, have went after him, regardless of anything else. XL wouldn't have giving up his duty for her, so his death is unavoidable. For XY to get over jing's death is just a matter of time eventually, but I belive that she wouldn't have had the strenght to keep on living without XL. This part always reminds me of CX's mom and the words she said before taking her life. 

@H19279

~Xiang Liu raised the corners of his lips, raised his eyebrows and smiled, looking at Xiao Yao on the peach blossom boat, and said: "The person Xiao Yao misses most is Tu Shanjing.

Pay attention to Xiang Liu's movements and the verbs "tickling the corners of his mouth" and "raising his eyebrows and smiling" here. This is very good. He said this sentence with a smile and a little complacent, but did not answer directly. Ah Bi question, whether he and Xiaoyao were just ordinary friends, was answered in a roundabout way.

If his action here is to "tick the corner of his mouth and say with a hint of regret that the person she misses most is Tu Shanjing", then it actually means that what he wants to say is the truth, and he will feel regretful. Xiaoyao really cares about Tu Shanjing,not him.

Here Xiang Liu has a tacit understanding with an old friend and the cunningness of making jokes.

Xiang Liu: Do you understand?  Ah bi: I understand...

"Ah bi said, "Even though Tu Shanjing is already dead, I'm still glad that Xiaoyao chose him."

Understanding from a personal perspective: Why would Mr. Ah bi compare the dead Tushan Jing with Xiang Liu? Is there any comparison? In fact, it also illustrates a problem. Even if Tu Shanjing died, Xiaoyao didn't love her so much that it wouldn't be a double-death ending. She could still live without the fox, a so she was still glad that Xiaoyao chose Tushanjing. But if Xiaoyao chooses Xiang Liu, that may not be the case. In the eyes of ah bi, Xiang Liu is a man of heaven, and his personality charm is also very great. The two are the best friends of gentlemen. Ah bi has witnessed the tragedies of Xiao Yao's parents, Chi Chen and A Heng, and doesn't want Yao Liu to make the same mistake again. It is also the ending of double death. Xiaoyao keeps the memories of the two mirrors so closely, he also knows that what they planted is the lover's poison.

blabla100:
Which version of WH are you reffering to?

The WH movie version  starred by Ralph Fiennes. 

Scarlet - Rhett - Ashley : XY - XL - Jing shares a bit of similarity. But overall, the dynamics, context are very different. Ashley at the end realized he loved Melanie (instead of Scarlet). Jing had no feeling for FFYY. Rhett's love became drained. XL loved XY till his death

Could I please know...

1. What was in the belly of doll XL gave to XY? 

2. Was there anything in novel to indicate she knew what was inside?

blabla100:
For XY to get over jing's death is just a matter of time eventually, but I belive that she wouldn't have had the strenght to keep on living without XL

windiaaa041293:
Ah bi has witnessed the tragedies of Xiao Yao's parents, Chi Chen and A Heng, and doesn't want Yao Liu to make the same mistake again. It is also the ending of double death

We share the same idea. I agree 100%

dramafeast:
What was in the belly of doll XL gave to XY? 

The ice crystal ball which XY had gifted to XL before as her confession of love to him. But the ball was changed. XL added a man as her companion and his wishes for her

dramafeast:
2. Was there anything in novel to indicate she knew what was inside?

No

H19279:

The ice crystal ball which XY had gifted to XL before as her confession of love to him. But the ball was changed. XL added a man as her companion and his wishes for her

No

Oh my goodness.... that is so so sad... hope against hope, could the production team please have a bonus ep where the belly was opened n XY saw n understood. Even in silence, that would be a great solace??? and closure???

did anyone notice the title of chapter 49?

Chapter 49 – Fear that Reunion is But a Dream:

MengXiang:
In the theory of love by Sternberg, there are 3 components to love...

intimacy (emotional)
commitment (cognitive)
passion (physical)

XL and XY has intimacy and passion. She was emotionally and physically attracted to him. She could never consciously commit to him.

I would argue that her sending him the crystal ball is a conscious declaration of /invitation for commitment to him. One that he, unfortunately, rejected. But, if he had accepted, she would have been committed to being with him. So they have consummate love. Well, maybe not on XL's part since he couldn't/wouldn't commit, but certainly on XY's part.

MengXiang:
Having passion and commitment but no intimacy is called fatuous love

Because I'm childish and petty, I cackled at the name fatuous since the definition of the word is silly and pointless. I have to say, I never sensed the passion between XiaoJing despite the intimate scenes.

Thanks for an interesting read.

windiaaa041293:
Chapter 49 – Fear that Reunion is But a Dream:

What do you imply? I think it's better to look at the original text in Chinese if we want to analyse sth from the tittle of the chapter. In my language it is translated as " Reunion as if a dream". Jing was back (like a dream). Quite suitable tittle