We are performing scheduled database maintenance, which may cause temporary downtime. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.
 solarlunareclipse:
6 minutes ago
 liddi:
My opinion is that Tong Hua deliberately used 他 "he" here to indicate that the big-bellied laughing doll was that of a boy doll. Using 它 would be equivalent to "it", which is ambiguous. And assuming that the 他 refers to A Bi makes no sense as we are told that she cannot help but laugh when she looked at the doll's impish demeanour.
It definitely could be exactly what you described. However, to me the usage of 他 to specifically identify the gender of the doll is suspicious because there is nothing in the description of the doll to definitively identify it as a boy rather than an girl. AH also cross-referenced XL's epilogue, but that doesn't identify the gender of the doll. Why is it important for Tong Hua to identify the gender of the doll, almost as an afterthought?

@Liddi,

do you mean that the doll is a boy-doll?

I think your accient folk picture also helped to explain. 

I also have links to similar ancient folk pictures in Vietnam (below).  image Boy holding certain kind of animal is usually depicted on such picture for wishing happiness, productivity etc

Only in our modern time or under the influence of Western culture, by default we always think doll is girl and used for playing. I think in the eastern culture, boy doll might be more common and used to convey wishes. Thus, it's reasonable that the doll that XL made was a boy

solarlunareclipse:
This article says that the diminutive form 兜兜 doudou is particularly used to refer to the 肚兜 dudou worn by children. This is not to say a child can't wear a 肚兜, but not using 兜兜 means it's possible that the doll is not a child. If the doll is indeed meant to be a child, I find it suspicious that a child is wearing a pomegranate patterned dudou since pomegranates are used to symbolize fertility.

While 兜兜 doudou may be used to refer to those worn by children, 肚兜 dudou is the generic term of the garment that is worn by either women or young children. As such, I do not believe that there is a significance that Tong Hua used dudou rather than doudou

"Infants would wear dudou, which was embroidered with luck charms, as their only clothing in hot summer months until they reach the age of two to three years old."  -- Wiki

"In Guanzhong area in Shanxi, dudou is a part of life rituals. When a woman is pregnant, her mother and husband's family would sew a dudou for the unborn baby. During the Dragon Boat festival, uncles would give a gift of dudou to  their sisters' young sons."  -- translated from Baike 

Pomegranate is an auspicious symbol that means "abundance in all things", particularly sons. This is normally a blessing given to couples on their wedding, for them to have many children. As such, in my opinion, it makes sense to have the symbol of a pomegranate on a boy doll as a wedding gift.

AH :
I agree with all of this. It aligns with my interpretation of chapter 51.

Yes. At the moment, I am not convinced that it means anything more than what we interpret on the surface...

H19279:
do you mean that the doll is a boy-doll?

Yes, the original Chinese text specifically indicates that it is a "he". This coupled with the symbol of the pomegranate on the dudou, would be blessings to have an abundance of sons (children), which is very traditional well-wishes for newlyweds.

H19279:
I also have links to similar ancient folk pictures in Vietnam (below).  image Boy holding certain kind of animal is usually depicted on such picture for wishing happiness, productivity etc

Are these Vietnamese folk pictures? I see the traditional Chinese words 富貴 (prosperity) but am not so sure about the other picture - it appears to be 茶花 (camellias) which is a symbol of love and devotion. Does the Vietnamese language also use Chinese characters?

liddi:
Are these Vietnamese folk pictures? I see the traditional Chinese words 富貴 (prosperity) but am not so sure about the other picture - it appears to be 茶花 (camellias) which is a symbol of love and devotion. Does the Vietnamese language also use Chinese characters?

Yes, in the past there were 2 type of writing system in Vietnam: Chinese and later a kind of chinese based letter with certain modification to reflect the vietnamese sound which was called Nom letter. Chinese letters were still used in most of monachy dynasty as official letter. I think the letters used in those folk pitures is Nom letter. Most of temples, pagodas in Vietnam had carved letters, labels etc in Chinese  or maybe Nom which most of us don't understand

The Latin based writing system was developed from 1500s by catholic priests and it only became official writting method since 1945 althought many newpapers, books, documment were published using latin based writing system since the late 1800s

HeadInTheClouds:
How did you ladies came to LYF? Did you read the book first or the drama? If it's via the novel how many times have you read it and did your opinions changed with re-reads? And if it's the drama, have you read the book and how did that impact your view of the drama? We're they very different to you? 

I first read the novel a few years ago, and took quite a long time to come out of the cloud of sadness I was under after that. When the adaptation was announced, I actually dragged my feet and did not watch until at least 6 episodes later. My reluctance stemmed from being scarred by previous adaptations after the excellent BBJX, all of which failed to live up to my expectations. I was also either pretty ambivalent about the cast, or unfamiliar with their works. After my mum kept asking me to join her, I finally did and was irrevocably hooked. In addition to the predominantly spot-on casting, I love how S1 was faithful to the novel for the most part - recreating so many classic scenes almost word for word. However, I was also inevitably frustrated by scenes that were either watered down, strangely interpreted or totally removed. 

I've re-read the novel since the drama, seeing scenes with new eyes, especially after the discussions here and on Weibo. The snake in grass, lines on dust technique, and the analysis of the poems used in the chapter titles and their origins allowed me to appreciate anew how cleverly Tong Hua wrote, hiding a love line in plain sight. However, some of my initial impressions remain unchanged. Xiang Liu as a man, and the way he loved Xiao Yao - we rail at him for refusing to say anything, yet I love him exactly because he is a man of integrity, who would never offer up a promise he could never keep, and would give his all to fulfil what he has pledged. How his love empowers her, rather than coddles, because he is practical and wants her to go on to have a good life when the time comes and he has to leave. It speaks so much to Tong Hua's brilliance that she painted such a searing, unforgettable picture of him in our hearts with so few lines, while so often obfuscating his thoughts and motives. I've since bought both editions of the novel as well as the manhua in the attempt to analyse what changed, and I suspect this will go on for some time. But time and again, I feel the need to walk away for a while, because the novel still manages to elicit pain, just when I think that I have moved way past it,  even though I have accepted what cannot be changed.

H19279:
Only in our modern time or under the influence of Western culture, by default we always think doll is girl and used for playing. I think in the eastern culture, boy doll might be more common and used to convey wishes. Thus, it's reasonable that the doll that XL made was a boy

This is making me think of Mahoraga dolls for Qixi Festival. 

-----

Mahoraga dolls, a type of figurine showing a child holding a lotus leaf, are sacrifice utensils that were commonly used in the Qixi Festival to pray for reproduction throughout the Song Dynasty in China.

Mahoraga dolls, a kind of figurine showing a child holding a lotus leaf, were popularized nationwide throughout the Song Dynasty (960–1279), one of the most prosperous periods of Chinese history. Mahoraga has several Chinese names in different regions, such as “Mohele” 磨喝乐, “Mohouluo” 摩睺罗, and “Moheluo” 磨合罗, along with different Chinese characters, due to its different transliterations, which also reflects the scope of its popularity. Mahoraga dolls gradually faded from the historical stage and were barely seen in the Ming and Qing Dynasties (1368–1912).

3. The Religious Allegory of Holding a Lotus Leaf Shape

The iconic symbol of Mahoraga is a child holding a lotus leaf in their hand. According to archaeological discoveries and the available written records, most of the Mahoraga dolls were boys and few were girls, and girl Mahoraga dolls were usually made to pair with boy ones. Additionally, we would like to focus on the Mahoraga figurines worshipped during Qixi Festivals, excluding other forms of child-holding-lotus figures, such as porcelain vases, jade pendants, and other jade accessories, on which girl images were often depicted. In fact, child patterns were not rare in ancient China and can be traced back to the Han Dynasty (202 BC–220 AD). These were not designed to reflect children’s lives but to convey the Chinese worship of procreation as well as the moral values relating to the family (Huo 2017, pp. 25–30). Until Wei, Jin, Northern, and Southern Dynasties (220–420 AD), this longing became clearer with the preference for boys under the development of an agricultural civilization. In the Tang Dynasty (618–907), child-holding-lotus patterns relating to this religious allegory were frequently used on Songzi Kuanyin statues (Rong 2013, pp. 245–76), which can be further proven as this typical Mahoraga figure was not only seen on figurines used in worship but also on ceramic stools used around Qixi Festivals (Figure 5).

This fertility symbolism of the lotus coincides with the use of Mahoraga dolls, as Mahoraga was often worshipped when praying for offspring, which also explains why Mahoraga figurines are usually depicted with a lotus in their hands.

Source

-----

The Chinese version of Valentine’s Day is the Oixi Festival that is celebrated on the 7th day of the 7th lunar month. Among the many Qixi Festival traditions, some have gradually disappeared, but quite a few still continue. Let’s have a look.

17. Consecrate Mohele, the Qixi Mascot

A Mohele is a small children’s doll that was popular in the Qixi Festival during the Song Dynasty (960 - 1279). In the Song Dynasty, people not only considered Mohele a symbol of the Qixi Festival, but also increased the size and proportion of the doll making it easier to play with.

Source

-----

Originating from Buddhism, "Mahira", also called Mohuluo, evolved into the image of a boy and became a sacrifice for the Qixi Festival. During the Song and Jin Dynasties, this kind of sacrifice evolved into a popular doll.

The ancient Qixi Festival was a women's festival. The theme of Qixi Festival was not only begging for cleverness, but also the pursuit of children. In the Song Dynasty, on the Chinese Valentine's Day, Mohuluo was given as a gift to the newlyweds as a blessing for having a child. The function of this custom was to pray for children and men.

Of course, on the Qixi Festival, Mohuluo is not only an offering, but also a toy for children. Affected by the social "entertainment" and "enjoyment" thoughts of the Song Dynasty, while retaining the worship function of grinding and drinking music, it turned to gamification and entertainment.

Source

-----

The Double Seven Festival, otherwise known as Qixi Festival (七夕节) or Chinese Valentine’s Day, was certainly no exception. Come the seventh evening of the seventh lunar month, rich and noble families would have their women gather up in the courtyard to “beg for skills in craftmanship” by performing rituals like threading seven needles in front of a special shrine. Here’s the thing, though—the shrines did not feature the Niulang and Zhinü duo, nor the Seventh Sister, the protector of all lovers, women, and children. Instead, they’d house a darling clay figurine of a child holding a lotus leaf.

This was, in fact, a sacrifice utensil commonly used in the Double Seven Festival to worship and pray for fertility. Though these were properly known as Mahoraga dolls, they had several Chinese names depending on the region, one of them being “Mohele (磨喝乐)” and its variant Moluo.

In the feudal Song dynasty, worshipping Mahākāla implied the longing for a male child.

Meng Yuanlao (孟元老), a Song dynasty prose writer, described in his famous memoir The Eastern Capital: A Dream of Splendor (《东京梦华录》) that on the day of the Qixi Festival, Mohele clay dolls can be found all over the city of Kaifeng.

Source

H19279:

Yes, in the past there were 2 type of writing system in Vietnam: Chinese and later a kind of chinese based letter with certain modification to reflect the vietnamese sound which was called Nom letter. Chinese letters were still used in most of monachy dynasty as official letter. I think the letters used in those folk pitures is Nom letter. Most of temples, pagodas in Vietnam had carved letters, labels etc in Chinese  or maybe Nom which most of us don't understand

The Latin based writing system was developed from 1500s by catholic priests and it only became official writting method since 1945 althought many newpapers, books, documment were published using latin based writing system since the late 1800s

@liddi

The romanized Hmong writing system (RPA) was also developed by catholic priests. Before that, the Hmong written language was lost through many wars, rebellions and unrest between and during ancient Chinese dynasties, and for a long time, Hmong used Chinese characters too. 

plor20:

@liddi

The romanized Hmong writing system (RPA) was also developed by catholic priests. Before that, the Hmong written language was lost through many wars, rebellions and unrest between and during ancient Chinese dynasties, and for a long time, Hmong used Chinese characters too. 

Hmong people also inhabit in the mountain area in the North of Vietnam (by the border with China). From the document films on TV, I don't think they have romanized writing system. The letters that they use also looks very strange. I think The Hmong people in Vietnam have some connection with other Hmong groups which distribute in China, Laos, Thailand, Myanmar 

H19279:

Hmong people also inhabit in the mountain area in the North of Vietnam (by the border with China). From the document films on TV, I don't think they have romanized writing system. The letters that they use also looks very strange. I think The Hmong people in Vietnam have some connection with other Hmong group which distribute in China, Laos, Thailand (maybe in Myanmar too) 

There are several writing systems used by the Hmong (all depends on thier geographical location): Chengbu Stele Writing, Xiangxi Square Hmong Writing, Pollard Script, Hutton Script, Romanized Popular Alphabet (RPA), Pahawh Hmong Writing, Chinese Romanized Alphabet.

The one I used is the RPA, and it's the most common one, and it's even being taught in China I believe. My guess is the one you mentiom must be either the Chengbu, Xiangxi or maybe the Hutton (all of which I've have never seen). The ones I am familiar with are the Pollard and Pahawh. I am not even sure how Hmong could be written with Mandarin pinyin considering we have 6 tones.

For the most part, I believe, most Hmong who can read and write Hmong, can read and write the RPA.

Character Name Analysis

This is an analysis of the names of the characters in Lost You Forever. The Chinese title of Lost You Forever is 《长相思》(Chang Xiang Si) , which means eternally yearning for each other. The Chinese title and meaning has ties to some names of characters in the novel. Name analysis will touch on:

1. Analysis of the meaning of the name
  2. Information about the name from a historical context and from the context of the novel
  3. Analysis on how the name might hint at relationships to other characters in the novel. Character relationships are often hinted at through their names sharing similar radicals, synonymy, and homonymy.

A few notes:

1. Simplified Chinese characters will be used in this analysis. While ancient China used traditional Chinese characters, there is no indication that Tong Hua intended for the novel to be historically accurate in this regard. Given that Tong Hua is from mainland China, she almost certainly used simplified Chinese characters in writing her novels.
  2. The analysis will use the updated version of the novel's character names. In 2019, Tong Hua made changes to some names in the novel, partly to address controversies regarding her misrepresentation of actual characters from Chinese mythology and history. Refer to liddi's post for more details about these changes. Without the limitations of using actual names from Chinese mythology and history, Tong Hua could incorporate additional hints into the names that were not possible with the previous names.
  3. In terms of relationships between characters in the novel, a particular focus is placed on the use of shadow characters. Shadow characters are a technique used in the  "grass snake ash line" writing style. A shadow character shares many traits with the main character they shadow and often experiences analogous situations. A shadow character may be used to subtly hint at a main character's intentions and motivations or foreshadow future events that the main character will encounter.

Since name analysis is subjective, the information contained in this post is highly speculative. I will update this post as theories are proven as likely or disproven as unlikely.

高辛玖瑶 (Gao Xin Jiu Yao)
西陵玖瑶 (Xi Ling Jiu Yao)

玖 (jiǔ) is an alternate way of writing "nine," a number often associated with longevity, eternity, and completeness. It can also refer to a dark-hued jade-like stone. 瑶 (yáo) means "precious jade" or "beautiful gem," symbolizing something precious, valuable, and beautiful. The name 玖瑶 (Jiu Yao) conveys the idea of something precious and complete, symbolizing beauty, value, and perhaps longevity or eternity.

Jiu Yao is Xiao Yao's formal name, given to her by her mother, A Heng. In Chinese mythology, 瑶 (Yao) is the name of the Yao Tribe, which according to some legends, were descended from Chi You, the leader of the Jiu Li tribe. Chi You was the original name for Xiao Yao's biological father, Chi Chen before the 2019 name revisions. The name 玖瑶 (Jiu Yao) could be a nod to the 九黎 (Jiu Li) and 瑶 (Yao) tribes associated with Chi You. Jiu Li is also where A Heng and Chi You lived together. 

高辛 (Gao Xin) is an ancient Chinese noble family name.

In Lost You Forever, 高辛 (Gao Xing) is one of the two royal clans. In the beginning of the novel, the Gao Xing Kingdom is ruled by Shao Hao, Xiao Yao's adoptive father. 

西陵 (Xi Ling) is one of the Four Great Clans of the Central Plains. This is the clan from which Xiao Yao's maternal grandmother hails. In Vol 3 Ch 2 (Chapter 35), Shao Hao takes Xiao Yao off the Gao Xing family registrar after a rumor spreads that she is Chi Chen's daughter. Cang Xuan and the Xuan Yuan King arrange for Xiao Yao to be adopted into the Xi Ling Clan.

玖瑶 (Jiu Yao) contains two jade (⺩) radicals. Shadow characters for Jiu Yao can have names containing the jade radical. We will refer to these characters as Xiao Yao's shadows because Xiao Yao is the more commonly used name for her.

A character resembling 玉 (yù, jade) is 王 (wáng, king). If we interpret the two jade radicals in 玖瑶 (Jiu Yao) as representing two kings instead, it is interesting to note that Jiu Yao begins the novel as the adoptive daughter of 高辛王 (Gao Xin King) and the granddaughter of 轩辕王 (Xuan Yuan King).

玖瑶 (Jiu Yao) sounds similar to Xiang Liu's nickname, 九头妖 (Jiu Tou Yao). Moreover 玖 (jiǔ) and 九 (jiǔ) both mean nine. The similarities in their names hint at their soulmate connection.

小夭 (Xiao Yao)
小 (xiǎo) means "small" or "little," often used as a term of endearment or to denote youthfulness. 夭 (yāo) means "beautiful" or "lush". The name 小夭 (Xiao Yao) conveys a sense of youthful beauty.

Xiao Yao is Jiu Yao's nickname. In Once Promised, Shao Hao gave her this name after hearing a folk ballad that began with:

桃之夭夭,灼灼其华
The peach tree is beautiful and lush, brilliant are its flowers

Xiao Yao has a "birthmark" shaped like a peach blossom on her forehead, which actually comes from the Face Retention Flower that A Heng and Shao Hao placed in her to change her appearance. This folk ballad is actually a real Chinese classic poem named "桃夭". This poem is used for the title of Vol 1, Ch 13: "桃之夭夭,灼灼其华". In this chapter, the Royal Mother helps Xiao Yao regain her real appearance. Xiao Yao's biological parents, A Heng and Chi Chen, pledged their love under a peach blossom tree.

The word for demon 妖 (yāo) includes the character 夭 (yāo). Moreover, both words sound exactly the same. Xiang Liu's nickname is 九头妖 (Jiu Tou Yao). The similarities in their names hint at their soulmate connection.

玟小六 (Wen Xiao Liu)
玟 (wén) means "fine jade" or "beautiful gem," symbolizing something precious and valuable. 小 (xiǎo) means "small" or "little," often used as a term of endearment or to denote youthfulness. 六 (liù) means "six". In this name 玟 (Wen) is used as the family name and 小六 (Xiao Liu) is the given name. Xiao Liu literally means "little six."

Wen Xiao Liu is Xiao Yao's alternate identity. After the marriages of his adoptive sons, Xiao Liu's family consists of six adult members: Xiao Liu, Lao Mu, Ma Zi, Chun Tao, Chuan Zi, and Tian Er. The 六 (liù) in his name might be a nod to this fact. Xiao Liu's simple lifestyle is what Xiao Yao would opt for if she were liberated from family obligations, responsibilities, and the constraints of patriarchy.

玟 (wén) contains a jade radical (⺩), which is also found in his real formal name 玖瑶 (Jiu Yao). It is also worthwhile to note that Xiao Liu and Xiang Liu sound similar, hinting at their soulmate connection.

相柳 (Xiang Liu)
相 (xiāng) can mean "mutual," signifying harmony, compatibility, or mutual understanding. This meaning of 相 (xiāng) is consistent with the meaning of the word in the title of the book《长相思》(Chang Xiang Si), which means eternally yearning for each other. However, the pronunciation of 相 (xiāng) in the title is different than the pronunciation of 相 (xiàng) in Xiang Liu's name. 柳 (liǔ) means willow tree, symbolizing grace, flexibility, and resilience.

In Chinese mythology, 相柳 (Xiang Liu), also known as 相繇 (Xiang Yao), is a figure that appears in the 山海经 (Shan Hai Jing), which translates to Classic of Mountains and Seas. He is a venomous nine-headed snake monster. In this context, 相 (xiàng) means minister, in keeping with Xiang Liu's position as a minister serving Gong Gong. 

In Lost You Forever, Gong Gong is the original name for Hong Jiang before the 2019 name revisions. Hong Jiang is Xiang Liu's savior and adoptive father.

柳 (liǔ) contains a hard ear radical (卩), a variant of the ear radical (耳). The name 相柳 (Xiang Liu) contains two wood radicals (木). If you combine two wood radicals together, you get 林 (lín), which means forest. According to Classic of Mountains and Seas, wherever Xiang Liu goes, he creates open landscapes, heathlands, patches of pine forests, and small valleys. The wood/forest elements in his name may be attributed to this phenomenon. Shadow characters for Xiang Liu often have names containing the wood (木) radical or various forms of the ear radical (耳). 

Xiang Liu sounds similar to Xiao Liu, Xiao Yao's alternate identity, hinting at their soulmate connection.

九头妖 (Jiu Tou Yao)
九 (jiǔ) means nine. 头 (tóu) means head. 妖 (yāo) means demon. Thus 九头妖 (Jiu Tou Yao) literally means nine-headed demon.

This is an appropriate nickname for Xiang Liu because he is a nine-headed demon. This nickname sounds similar to Xiao Yao and Jiu Yao, Xiao Yao's formal name. The similarities in their names hint at their soulmate connection.

防风邶 (Fang Feng Bei)
防风 (fáng fēng) means protection against the wind. 邶 (bèi) is the name of an ancient country that that was located in present-day Henan Province. It gets its sound from 北 (běi), which means north.

In Lost You Forever, the Fang Feng Clan is a moderately powerful clan from the north that ranks below the Four Great Clans and Six Big Families, both from the Central Plains. Fang Feng Bei is Xiang Liu's alternate identity. This is who Xiang Liu is when he takes off his battle armor. Xiang Liu met the real Fang Feng Bei in the Far North.

Both 防 (fáng) and 邶 (bèi) contain the right ear radical (阝), a variant of the ear radical (耳). The name 防风邶 (Fang Feng Bei) contains a total of two ear radicals. In comparison 相柳 (Xiang Liu) only contains one ear radical (卩).

涂山璟 (Tu Shan Jing)
璟 (jǐng) can mean "bright" or "brilliant," and is often associated with radiance, clarity, or excellence.

涂山 (Tu Shan) is a place in ancient Chinese mythology.

In Lost You Forever, Tu Shan is one of the Four Great Clans of the Central Plains.

璟 (Jing) contains a jade radical (⺩), which also appears in 玖瑶 (Jiu Yao). This hints at Jing being a shadow character for Xiao Yao. Moreover, in the context of this novel, we can treat servants as shadows of their master. If we consider that Jing is willing to be Xiao Yao's servant, this strengthens the interpretation of Jing as Xiao Yao's shadow.

叶十七 (Ye Shi Qi)
叶 (yè) means leaf. 十七 (shí qī) means seventeen. The name "叶十七" (Ye Shi Qi) means seventeen leaves.

Ye Shi Qi is Tu Shang Jing's alternate identity. He is Tu Shang Jing, cut off from the ties of family, responsibility, and greed. Wen Xiao Liu picks the name Ye Shi Qi after having Ma Zi count the number of leaves on a medicinal herb in Vol 1, Ch 1.

In the context of this novel, we can treat servants as shadows of their master. Since Ye Shi Qi is effectively Xiao Liu's servant, Ye Shi Qi can be considered a shadow character for Xiao Liu/Xiao Yao.

Xiao Yao met two demon foxes: an eight-tailed fox and a nine-tailed fox (Tu Shan Jing): 8 + 9 = 17. Interestingly enough, both the names 防风邶 (Fang Feng Bei) and 玱玹 (Cang Xuan) contain a total of 17 strokes. If this coincidence is intentional, one way to interpret this might be thatFang Feng Bei (Xiang Liu without his loyalties) could have been with Xiao Yao, just like Cang Xuan (without his ambition to be king) could have been with Xiao Yao.

Xiang Liu's name contain two wood radicals (木), which can be combined to mean forest (林). A point of contrast can be made by comparing a forest (Xiang Liu) to a few leaves (Ye Shi Qi). In the save vein, we can compare the full moon (Xiang Liu) to the waning crescent moon (Ye Shi Qi); the ability to breathe underwater (Xiang Liu) to an inferior purple fish stone (Ye Shi Qi); thirty-seven years of selflessly feeding essential soul blood (Xiang Liu) to monthly deliveries of 15 bottles of plum wine to remind the recipient to keep a 15 year promise (Ye Shi Qi). This reinforces that Xiao Yao's soulmate is Xiang Liu rather than Ye Shi Qi.

轩辕玱玹 (Xuan Yuan Cang Xuan)
The original name of this character was 颛顼 (Zhuan Xu), who was a mythological emperor of ancient China. 颛 (zhuān) means "round headed", and refers to middle-aged nobles, by extension decent, law-abiding people, and by further extension, social elites. 顼 (xū) is composed of a jade radical (⺩) and 页 (which means head in ancient Chinese), combining to mean "the one who wears the jade crown". So the entire name 颛顼 (Zhuan Xu) means "the one who wears the jade crown among the social elites", in other words "the head of the aristocracy". 

This character was renamed to 玱玹 (Cang Xuan) in the 2019 edition of the novel, in part, to sidestep controversies around misrepresenting actual characters in Chinese mythology. With the revised name, 玱 (cāng) means the color of jade, and 玹 (xuán) is a type of jade, which reinforces the association with the jade crown in the original name.

In Chinese mythology, 轩辕 (Xuan Yuan) is a legendary figure, often associated with the Yellow Emperor. The Yellow Emperor is considered the ancestor of the Chinese people and is credited with numerous inventions and contributions to Chinese civilization, including the development of agriculture, medicine, and the calendar. 

In Lost You Forever, the 轩辕王 (Xuan Yuan King) was originally referred to as the Yellow Emperor before the 2019 name revisions. 轩辕 (Xuan Yuan) is one of two royal clans. In the beginning of the novel, the Xuan Yuan Kingdom is ruled by Cang Xuan's grandfather, who is also the founder of the kingdom.

玱玹 (Cang Xuan), similar to 玖瑶 (Jiu Yao), contains two jade radicals (⺩). This hints at Cang Xuan being a shadow character for Xiao Yao. 

Since A Nian is hinted to be Xiang Liu's shadow, A Nian and Cang Xuan's path hints at the path that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao could have taken if Xiang Liu's adoptive father, Hong Jiang, had surrendered to Xuan Yuan.

A character resembling 玉 (yù, jade) is 王 (wáng, king). If we interpret the two jade radicals as representing two kings instead, it is interesting to note that Cang Xuan begins the novel as the grandson of 轩辕王 (Xuan Yuan King) and the disciple of 高辛王 (Gao Xin King), both of whom later abdicate their thrones to him.

(Xuan)
轩 (xuān) is used to convey grandeur, elegance, or loftiness, suggesting someone with lofty aspirations, high ideals, or a noble character.

Xuan is Cang Xuan's alternate identity. Xuan lives the way Cang Xuan would live, if free from ties of family, responsibility, and ambition. 轩 (xuān) is also the first character of Cang Xuan's clan name, 轩辕 (Xuan Yuan), hinting at his real identity.

"轩" (xuān) sounds similar the second character of Cang Xuan's given name: "玹" (xuán).

高辛忆 (Gao Xin Yi)
忆 (yì) means to reminisce.

高辛 (Gao Xin) is an ancient Chinese noble family name.

In Lost You Forever, 高辛 (Gao Xing) is one of the two royal clans. In the beginning of the novel, the Gao Xing Kingdom is ruled by Shao Hao, Yi's father. Yi's name might reflect Shao Hao's nostalgia for his time with A Heng, Xiao Yao's mother.

忆 (yì) contains (忄), which is a variant of the heart radical (心). Other names containing a variation of the heart radical are 阿念 (A Nian, Yi's nickname),  意映 (Yi Ying), and 馨悦 (Xing Yue), possibly hinting at hidden relationships between these characters.

阿念 (A Nian)
阿 (ā) is a common prefix in Chinese names, often used to show familiarity or affection. 念 (niàn) means "to yearn for" "to remember," or "to cherish." It can have a similar meaning to the character 思 (sī) found in the title of the book,《长相思》(Chang Xiang Si). The entire name 阿念 (A Nian) could convey a sense of  yearning for or cherishing someone, often with a tone of affection or fondness.

A Nian is Gao Xin Yi's nickname. 阿 (ā) is also the prefix used in Xiao Yao's mother's nickname, 阿珩 (A Heng). The name conveys Shao Hao's yearning for A Heng.

阿 (ā) contains an ear radical (阝), which also appears in 柳 (liǔ). Additionally, 念 (niàn) and 相 (xiāng) both relate to the title of the book. These common traits in their names hint at A Nian being a shadow character for Xiang Liu

Since Cang Xuan is hinted to be Xiao Yao's shadow, A Nian and Cang Xuan's path hints at the path that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao could have taken if Xiang Liu's adoptive father, Hong Jiang, had surrendered to Xuan Yuan.

念 (niàn) contains the heart radical (心), which appears as (忄) when used as a left radical. Other names containing a variation of the heart radical are 高辛忆 (Gao Xin Yi, A Nian's formal name),  意映 (Yi Ying), and 馨悦 (Xin Yue), possibly hinting at hidden relationships between these characters.

海棠 (Hai Tang)
海棠 (hǎi táng) refers to the Chinese flowering crabapple tree, known for its beautiful blossoms. The name "海棠" (Hai Tang) symbolizes beauty, elegance, and resilience, as the tree blooms vibrantly even in harsh conditions. It's a poetic name choice, often associated with qualities like grace and strength.

Hai Tang is A Nian's servant. In the context of this novel, we can treat servants as a shadow of their master. Thus, Hai Tang can be considered a shadow character for A Nian.

海 (hǎi) means sea, which is obviously associated with Xiang Liu. 棠 (táng) contains a wood radical (木), which can appear in names of characters associated with Xiang Liu. Hai Tang has been used as a stand-in character for 毛球 (Mao Qiu), Xiang Liu's winged ride. 

涂山篌 (Tu Shan Hou)
篌 (hóu) is a musical instrument called a 胡琴 (hú qín), which is a type of Chinese bowed string instrument.

涂山 (Tu Shan) is a place in ancient Chinese mythology. In Lost You Forever, Tu Shan is one of the Four Great Clans of the Central Plains.

篌 (Hou) is a character foil for 相柳 (Xiang Liu). The names of character foils do not appear to share any common traits.

Since Yi Ying is a character foil for Xiao Yao, Hou and Yi Ying's path hints at the path that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao would have been headed down if they had betrayed each other.

防风意映 (Fang Feng Yi Ying)
意 (yì) means "feelings" or "intention," indicating depth or significance. 映 (yìng) means "reflection" or "to reflect," suggesting an aspect of mirroring or resonance. The name 意映 (Yi Ying) means "feelings reflected". 

In Lost You Forever, the Fang Feng Clan is a moderately powerful clan from the north that ranks below the Four Great Clans and Six Big Families of the Central Plains.

True to the meaning of her name, Yi Ying does seem to reflect back the feelings of other characters, including Jing, Hou, their grandmother, Xiao Yao, and Xin Yue.

意映 (Yi Ying) is a character foil for 小夭 (Xiao Yao). The names of character foils do not appear to share any common traits.

Since Hou is a character foil for Xiang Liu, Hou and Yi Ying's path hints at the path that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao would have been headed down if they had betrayed each other.

意 (yì) contains the heart radical (心), which appears as (忄) when used as a left radical. Other names containing a variation of the heart radical are 阿念 (A Nian), 高辛忆 (Gao Xin Yi, A Nian's formal name), and 馨悦 (Xin Yue), possibly hinting at hidden relationships between these characters.

赤水丰隆 (Chi Shui Feng Long)
丰 (fēng) means "abundant," "rich," or "prosperous," conveying positive attributes related to wealth and abundance. 隆 (lóng) means "prosperous" or "flourishing," suggesting growth, success, or high status. The name 丰隆 (Feng Long) could signify someone who is associated with prosperity, wealth, and success.

赤水 (Chi Shui) is one of the Four Great Clans of the Central Plains.

隆 (lóng) contains an ear radical (阝), which also appears in 柳 (liǔ), hinting that Feng Long is a shadow character for Xiang Liu.

神农馨悦 (Shen Nong Xin Yue)
馨 (xīn) means "fragrant" or "aromatic," often associated with pleasant smells or a sense of purity and elegance. 悦 (yuè) means "joy" or "pleasure," conveying happiness, contentment, or delight. The name 馨悦 conveys the idea of someone who is elegant and has a pleasant demeanor.

In Chinese mythology, 神农 (Shen Nong) is a legendary figure, who is known as the Divine Farmer or Divine Husbandman. He is credited with various contributions to ancient Chinese agriculture, including the discovery of medicinal herbs and the invention of agricultural tools.

In Lost You Forever, the Shen Nong Clan once ruled the Central Plains, but was defeated by Xuan Yuan. Shen Nong is one of the Three Imperial Families, along with Gao Xin and Xuan Yuan.

悦 (yuè) contains (忄), which is a variant of the heart radical (心). Other names containing a variation of the heart radical are 阿念 (A Nian),  高辛忆 (Gao Xin Yi, A Nian's formal name), and 意映 (Yi Ying), possibly hinting at hidden relationships between these characters.

老木 (Lao Mu)
老 (lǎo) means "old" or "venerable," often used to indicate respect or seniority. 木 (mù) means "wood" or "tree," symbolizing growth, strength, and stability. The name 老木 (Lao Mu) could symbolize a senior person with the name 木 (mù).

木 (mù) also appears in 柳 (liǔ), hinting that Lao Mu is a shadow character for Xiang Liu.

Since Wen Xiao Liu is Xiao Yao's alternate identity, Lao Mu and Wen Xiao Liu's path hints at the path that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao could have taken if both of them had abandoned their loyalties and responsibilities.

串子 (Chuan Zi)
串子 (chuàn zi) means skewer or kebab. However, the name 串子 (Chuan Zi) probably has no particular meaning. It is most likely nickname or a term of endearment used within a family.

串 (chuàn) is composed of two middle/center (中) radicals. The Tu Shan Clan is from the Central Plains (中圆). This hints at Chuan Zi being a shadow character for Jing.

Since Tian Er is hinted to be Xiao Yao's shadow, it's hinted that Chuan Zi and Tian Er's relationship is a shadow for Jing and Xiao Yao's relationship.

Since Ma Zi is hinted to be Xiang Liu's shadow, it's hinted that Ma Zi and Chuan Zi's relationship is a shadow for Xiang Liu and Jing's relationship.

桑甜儿 (Sang Tian Er)
桑 (sāng) means mulberry tree, 甜 (tián) means "sweet", 儿 (ér) is a common suffix in Chinese names, and can be added for endearment or to make the name sound affectionate. 

The meaning of Sang Tian Er's name hints that she is a shadow character for Xiao Yao. When Xiao Yao was small, she liked to eat iced mulberry treats that were sweet and tart (Chapter 15). 

Since Chuan Zi is hinted to be Jing's shadow, it's hinted that Chuan Zi and Tian Er's relationship is a shadow for Jing and Xiao Yao's relationship.

桑 (sāng) and 柳 (liǔ) are both a types of trees. Moreover, both characters contain the wood (木) radical. This hints at Sang Tian Er also being a shadow character for Xiang Liu.

麻子 (Ma Zi)
麻子 (má zi) means "pockmarked". However, the name 麻子 (Ma Zi) probably has no particular meaning. It is most likely nickname or a term of endearment used within a family.

麻 (má), similar to 相柳 (Xiang Liu), contains two wood radicals (木). This hints at Ma Zi being a shadow character for Xiang Liu. 

Since Chun Tao is hinted to be Xiao Yao's shadow, Ma Zi and Chun Tao's path hints at the path that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao could have taken if Xiang Liu used his Fang Feng Bei identity to marry into Xiao Yao's family.

Since Chuan Zi is hinted to be Jing's shadow, it's hinted that Ma Zi and Chuan Zi's relationship is a shadow for Xiang Liu and Tu Shan Jing's relationship.

高春桃 (Gao Chun Tao)
高 (gāo) means high, 春 (chūn) means spring, 桃 (tǎo) means peach.

The meaning of Gao Chun Tao's name hints that she is a shadow character for Xiao Yao. The surname 高 (Gao) is the same as the first word in Xiao Yao's formal surname 高辛 (Gao Xin). 夭 (yāo) is associated with 桃 (tǎo) peach due to Shao Hao choosing Xiao Yao's name after hearing a folk ballad about a peach tree being a full bloom.

Since Ma Zi is hinted to be Xiang Liu's shadow, Ma Zi and Chun Tao's path hints at the path that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao could have taken if Xiang Liu used his Fang Feng Bei identity to marry into Xiao Yao's family. To reinforce this theory, 桃 (tǎo) contains a wood radical (木), a common characteristic in characters related to Xiang Liu.

左耳 (Zuo Er)
左 (zuǒ) means left. 耳 (ěr) means ear. 左耳 (Zuo Er) means left ear. 

Xiao Yao names this character Zuo Er because he is missing a left ear.

A variant of the ear radical (卩) appears on the right-hand side of 柳 (liǔ). Due to the placement of the radical on the right, it can be said the the name 相柳 (Xiang Liu) is also missing a left ear. The commonalities in their names hint at Zuo Er being a shadow character for Xiang Liu. 

Since Miao Pu is hinted to be Xiao Yao's shadow, Zuo Er and Miao Pu's path hints at the path that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao could have taken if Xiao Yao had saved Xiang Liu.

苗圃 (Miao Pu)
苗圃 (miáo pǔ) can mean seedling nursery. 苗 (miáo) refers to seedlings or young plants, symbolizing growth, potential, and vitality. 圃 (pǔ) means a cultivated field or garden, suggesting a nurturing environment for growth and development. The name 苗圃 (Miao Pu) could convey the idea of someone who fosters growth, cultivates potential, or creates a nurturing environment for others. In the novel, Miao Pu fosters Zuo Er's growth.

Miao Pu is Xiao Yao's servant. In the context of this novel, we can treat servants as a shadow of their master. Thus, Miao Pu can be considered a shadow character for Xiao Yao.

Since Zuo Er is hinted to be Xiang Liu's shadow, Zuo Er and Miao Pu's path hints at the path that Xiang Liu and Xiao Yao could have taken if Xiao Yao had saved Xiang Liu.

静夜 (Jing Ye)
静 (jìng) means "quiet" or "calm," suggesting a peaceful and serene demeanor. 夜 (yè) means "night," which can symbolize mystery, introspection, or a time of quiet reflection. The name 静夜 (Jing Ye) could convey the image of a person who is calm, serene, and perhaps contemplative. 

Jing Ye is Jing's servant. In the context of this novel, we can treat servants as a shadow of their master. Thus, Jing Ye can be considered a shadow character for Jing. To further reinforce this theory, it can be noted that 静 (jìng) and 璟 (jǐng) sound similar. Finally, the meaning of Jing Ye conveying a calm, serene and contemplative person seems to fit the description of Tu Shan Jing.

Since Hu Zhen is hinted to be Xiao Yao's shadow, it's hinted that Jing Ye and Hu Zhen's relationship shadows Jing and Xiao Yao's relationship.

胡珍 (Hu Zhen)
胡 (hú) is a common Chinese surname. 珍 (zhēn) means "precious" or "valuable," suggesting something rare or highly esteemed. 

Hu Zhen is Jing's servant. In the context of this novel, we can treat servants as a shadow of their master. Thus, Hu Zhen can be considered a shadow character for Jing.

珍 (zhēn) contains a jade radical (⺩), which also appears in 玖瑶 (Jiu Yao). Moreover, 珍 (zhēn) and 瑶 (yáo) both have the connotation of being precious. These similarities in their names hint at Hu Zen being a character shadow for Xiao Yao.

Since Jing Ye is hinted to be Jing's shadow, it's hinted that Jing Ye and Hu Zhen's relationship shadows Jing and Xiao Yao's relationship.

阿珩 (A Heng)
阿 (ā) is a common prefix in Chinese names, often used to show familiarity or affection. 珩 (héng) is the top jade pendant that a set of other jade pendants hang off of. It is also used as a talisman.

珩 (héng) contains a jade radical (⺩), which also appears in 玖瑶 (Jiu Yao). This hints at A Heng being a shadow character for Xiao Yao. To reinforce this theory, Xiao Yao's grandfather once noted that she was just like her mother when she stated she wanted to finish revising medical texts before getting married.

Since Chi Chen is hinted to be Xiang Liu's shadow, A Heng and Chi Chen's path hints at the path Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu could have taken if they had expressed their love despite their opposing stances.

赤宸 (Chi Chen)
赤 (chì) means "red" or "loyal". 宸 (chén) is a reference to the imperial palace, the imperial throne, or the emperor. 

蚩尤 (Chi You) is a character from Chinese mythology that was the leader of the 九黎 (Jiu Li) tribe. The character was renamed to 赤宸 (Chi Chen) in the 2019 revision of the novel. Chi Chen is Xiao Yao's biological father. While on Jade Mountain, A Heng made a red robe for Chi Chen. She promised him that as long as he wore the red robe, she would meet him annually under the peach blossoms of Jiu Li as evidence of their love. Chi Chen was also a subordinate of the Shen Nong King. The color red, as well as unwavering loyalty to the Shen Nong King can be associated with Chi You.

赤 (chì) can mean "loyal." Loyalty is a prominent character trait in both Chi Chen and Xiang Liu. This hints at Chi Chen being a shadow character for Xiang Liu. Although Lost You Forever doesn't disclose very much information about Chi Chen, it's possible to use Once Promised to understand Xiang Liu through Chi Chen.

Since A Heng is hinted to be Xiao Yao's shadow, A Heng and Chi Chen's path hints at the path Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu could have taken if they had expressed their love despite their opposing stances.

洪江 (Hong Jiang)
洪 (hóng) means flood. 江 (jiāng) means river.

In Chinese mythology, 共工 (Gong Gong) is a water god. The character was renamed to  洪江 (Hong Jiang) in the 2019 revision of the novel. The name revision added water radicals (氵) to Gong Gong's original name.

In Lost You Forever, Hong Jiang is Xiang Liu's savior and adoptive father. He is the leader of the Shen Nong remnant army.

The water radicals (氵) in Hong Jiang's name could also be a nod to his relationship to Xiang Liu, who also has water-based powers. 

solarlunareclipse:
小 (Xiao) means little, 夭 (Yao) means something to do with peach blossoms? I read somewhere that it comes from a line of poetry: "桃之夭夭,灼灼其华", but not sure where this poem is mentioned. Also not sure how the character 夭 (Yao) has anything to do the character 桃 (Tao) - peach. Xiao Yao's parents pledged their love under a peach blossom tree. Xiao Yao also has a peach blossom birthmark on her head. 夭 (Yao) can also mean to die prematurely. I guess Xiao Yao's parents died prematurely, but I'm not sure this meaning is intensional. Not sure if Once Promised talks about the origin of her name. 夭 (Yao) is also one of the radicals in 妖 (Yao) - demon.  九头妖 (Jiu Tou Yao), nine headed demon, is one of Xiang Liu's nicknames.

Xiao Yao was the called name that Ah Heng and Shao Hao gave to her due to the "birth mark" in the shape of peach blossom on her forehead. That birth mark was actually the Face Retention Pillar which helped the holder to change her/his appearance. Because of the peach blossom shape, her name was inspired from the poem  (from classic of poetry). This poem was used for the title of chapter 13 (Vol 1) after she got back her real appearance thank to the Royal Mother and King Haoling organised big event to welcome the return of the great princess of Haoling. Detail of the poem can be found here https://mydramalist.com/discussions/lost-you-forever/121175-poems-that-was-used-for-chapter-titles-in-the-novel?pid=2857741&page=2#p2857741

I think the word yao (in this case means fresh, young, lush. 

相柳
Xiang Liu
柳 (Liu) means willow. Note that it has a wood radical (木). It also contains a hard ear radical (卩). 相柳 (Xiang Liu) also has two wood radicals (木).

Xiang Liu (相柳) is a figure from classical Chinese mythology appearing in the Classic of Mountains and Seas (山海经) and is also known as Xiangyao (相繇). According to the book, wherever he goes, he creates open landscapes, heathlands, patches of pine forests, and small valleys. I believe the wood elements in his name are attributed to this phenomenon. The character 相, by itself means 'to each other/one another/mutual,' which is actually very fitting to Tong Hua's character foundation of Xiang Liu. In the character 柳, the strokes mimic the visual appearance of a willow tree. I don't think it has anything to do with the ear radical.

Thanks H19279 and plor20 . Incorporated your feedback into the original post.

plor20:
I don't think it has anything to do with the ear radical.

"卩" is the hard ear radical. It is found in the character 柳 (Liu). This is important because characters related to Xiang Liu often contain the ear radical.

H19279:

Thank you very much for sharing about the Nom script, which Wiki provided a fascinating read. I can now understand why I had trouble deciphering the first word in the first picture yesterday. Based on what you said, does it mean that Vietnamese text is predominantly romanised, and the Nom script is an obscure writing system that is no longer used?

plor20:

plor20:
There are several writing systems used by the Hmong (all depends on thier geographical location): Chengbu Stele Writing, Xiangxi Square Hmong Writing, Pollard Script, Hutton Script, Romanized Popular Alphabet (RPA), Pahawh Hmong Writing, Chinese Romanized Alphabet.

Are Hmong people from different locations able to understand others with all the different writing systems? How about the spoken language? Are they all the same, regardless of location? Or are they like the Chinese with different dialects depending on their place of origin?

AH :
This is making me think of Mahoraga dolls for Qixi Festival. 

That is an interesting observation - not sure if what Xiang Liu carved was meant to be a 磨喝乐 Mohele, but its symbolism is close. Certainly, from Xiao Yao's remark, it was a doll that should be commonplace enough as a wedding gift - a boy doll with a symbol of abundant children on the dudou - except for the unexpectedly large belly, which caught her by surprise. It is evident how much care he took into choosing that final gift - carrying his blessings and wishes for her which will remain forever hidden, while serving to be a source of mirth and bring her joy with its mischievous, outward appearance at the same time.

solarlunareclipse:
It's interesting to note that Wen Xiao Liu, Jiu Yao, Cang Xuan, and Tu Shang Jing all contain the jade radical (?) in their names. Characters associated with them also often contain the jade radical in their names. Meanwhile, Xiang Liu, and characters associated with him often contain the wood (木) or ear (阝,卩) radicals in their names.

Commendable effort on this compilation!

Just a word of caution. Do be careful about reading too much into the symbolism of radicals and how it associates to different factions - the Xiang Liu camp vs the rest etc. It is overly simplistic to just draw a line and say that they are related to Xiang Liu based on the radical alone, whether it is 木,卩 or 阝. 

For example the 阿 “A" in  阿念 A Nian is simply a word that is commonly added to a first name or surname as a term of endearment. It has no meaning at all and the "阝" 双耳旁  two ear radical component should not be interpreted to mean anything more than that. The same word is used when referring to Xiao Yao's mother 阿珩 A Heng, whose real name is 轩辕妭 Xuan Yuan Ba. By the same token, the word 小 (xiao) is often used as a term of endearment as well e.g. 小夭 Xiao Yao, when her real name is 玖瑶 Jiu Yao.

Another example is 共工 Gong Gong, later called 洪江 Hong Jiang, who is arguably the closest person to Xiang Liu, with the exception of Xiao Yao. In mythology, Gong Gong was a water god, and Tong Hua reflected the water reference in his revised name. However, regardless of which version we look at, there is no correlation between Gong Gong/Hong Jiang and the 木,卩 or 阝radicals. 

As for the use of the ⺩(玉 jade) radical, do note the following. Some of the names were revised in the 2019 edition. 玱玹 Cang Xuan was revised from the original 颛顼 Zhuan Xu, an actual mythological figure. The original meaning of 颛 zhuan is "round headed", which refers to middle-aged nobles, by extension decent, law-abiding people, and by  further extension, social elites. The word 顼 xu is made up of 玉 (jade) and 页 (head), which combines to mean "the one who wears the jade crown". So the entire name Zhuan Xu carries the meaning "the one who wears the jade crown among the social elite", in other words "the head of the aristocracy".

In the case of 玱玹 Cang Xuan, 玖瑶 Jiu Yao and even 璟 Jing, it is not unusual for those among the nobility to be given names that reflect their elevated status. A Nian is an exception to this rule since her formal name and pet name was given by the Gao Xin king to express how he misses Xiao Yao's mother.

海棠 Hai Tang, 春桃 Chun Tao, 苗圃 Miao Pu are commonplace names that refers to regular items. 苗圃 can actually mean a seedling nursery. 苗 in itself can also be a surname (there is actually a Chinese actress by the exact name Miao Pu as well). I am not convinced that 串子 Chuan Zi and 麻子 are more than just names pulled from the sky with no particular meaning.

I have read some theories about the meaning of names, which should be taken with a grain of salt.

One that was floating around Weibo was how the total number of strokes in Fangfeng Bei (防风邶), Cang Xuan (玱玹) and Bao Zhu 宝柱 (the mysterious neighbour of Huichun clinic) all add up to 17. The theory was that if not for fate having a joke at their expense, each of them could have been the 十七  Shiqi that Xiao Yao wanted to marry. This theory falls apart in two main aspects:

1. The number of strokes they are counting is based on simplified Chinese characters. In traditional Chinese, the number of strokes would have been more than 17 to begin with e.g.

防风邶  (17)  vs  防風邶  (22)
玱玹  (17)       vs  瑲玹  (23)
宝柱  (17)       vs  寶柱  (29)

2. Cang Xuan was not originally Cang Xuan to begin with, but Zhuan Xu, which even in simplified Chinese, was already 25 strokes, not 17.

Another one is related to the ear radical surrounding Xiang Liu, Fangfeng Bei and Left Ear, which I translated in p362

For Xiang Liu's 柳 Liu, the name of the radical 卩 is 单耳旁 Single Ear Component
For Fangfeng Bei's 邶 Bei, the name of the radical 阝 is 双耳旁 Two Ears Component

The characters in the name 相柳 Xiang Liu only has one ear (卩) while 防风邶 Fangfeng Bei has two ears (阝)*. Please note the position of the two ears. When compared to Fangfeng Bei, [the word] Xiang Liu does not have a left ear [e.g. the radical is not placed on the left side of the word].

Xiao Yao was the one who gave Left Ear his name. Since he did not have a left ear, he was called Left Ear. Many people said that Left Ear is the shadow of Xiang Liu. Left Ear asked Xiao Yao, "Will I become Xiang Liu?", to which Xiao Yao replied, "I preferred [you became] Bei."

This one feels a little more convincing, though I do not subscribe to the theory that the ear or wood  木radical implication extends to every other character that has it. If the wood radical theory is correct, by extension 老木 Lao Mu should also be in Xiang Liu's camp, but he clearly is not. In addition, do not forget that the name 相柳 Xiang Liu is the actual name of the mythological character. The word 相 can mean "minister", which is in keeping with his position as a minister under Gong Gong's service, and has nothing to do with wood. 

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

@liddi

Are Hmong people from different locations able to understand others with all the different writing systems? How about the spoken language? Are they all the same, regardless of location? Or are they like the Chinese with different dialects depending on their place of origin?

Girlllllllll...don't get me started on the dialects! It's like  this emoji with the tears gushing!? The writing systems are a mess! like I've mentioned I've never even seen half of them let alone could read them.  Maybe this why China is so strict about one writing system and standardizing Mandarin.

The Miao as a whole group has dialects separated into Western and Eastern.  Eastern dialects is spoken by Miao groups east of Yunan, like Guizhou. I can't understand them at all.

Western dialect ( mainly spoken in Yunan and Hmong outside of China) consists of Hmong, with it's many different geographical nauces.  There is technically only two dialects for Hmong, a white dialect (which shares many sounds and vocabulary with Mandarin) and green/leng dialect (which many have argued as the purer dialect). I speak and understand white Hmong and can understand green dialect spoken outside of China. 

The two Hmong dialects in China has many influences from Mandarin and surrounding Miao dialects and other ethnic langauges, so sometimes depending on who the speaker is from geographically, I can pick out a few words.

Vocabulary also is very diverse. Because we're from so many places, we have different terms for the same thing based the dominant language that influence us. My Hmong vocabulary has many Engrish terms...like Amelikas (American) and Lao words like vas xaum (Saturday). Hmong doesn't have a term for Americans (美国人) so we use a phonectic way to say it. While Saturday is just hnub (日) rau (六) (sixth day).  But a Hmong from France would have French words and someone from Vietnam would have Vietnamese words mixed into thier Hmong. 

Yes, it's a total mess but at the same time, super interesting.