We are performing scheduled database maintenance, which may cause temporary downtime. We appreciate your patience and apologize for any inconvenience.

@bugei @nathsketch @Elise 

There is another YaoLiu fanfic 相思日月长 A Longlasting Yearning which is highly recommended among the Chinese fans. I have not finished it yet, but in keeping with @nathsketch's past comment, this one uses the trope where Xiao Yao manages to revive Xiang Liu using a remnant of his soul which Gong Gong managed to preserve over 100 years later. 

Jing did not survive in this story because he suffered retaliation from the Nine-Tailed Fox spirit who imprisoned Xiao Yao as a child, and was apparently the spirit that the Tushan clan worships. The spirit attacked Jing after it recognised the blood inside Jing as Xiao Yao's, which was what led her to finally realise what Xiang Liu did with the blood he drew from her.

Oh, and Furball kept faithful vigil and finally died at the site where Xiang Liu perished, and Xiao Yao managed to reincarnate it as Miao Pu and Left Ear's child, A Liu.

liddi:
Yes, in the fanfic 不负相思意 Fulfilled Yearning

Thanks liddi ^^  

liddi:
the same Pan Gu bow which Chi Chen used to save her mother, to save Xiang Liu in his final battle against the Xuan Yuan forces.

Thankfully Koala translated that chapter of Once Promised.

nathsketch:

Sounds good. But I'll need to be carried, that's for sure. Thank you, Sam.

liddi:

@bugei @nathsketch @Elise 

There is another YaoLiu fanfic 相思日月长 A Longlasting Yearning which is highly recommended among the Chinese fans. I have not finished it yet, but in keeping with @nathsketch's past comment, this one uses the trope where Xiao Yao manages to revive Xiang Liu using a remnant of his soul which Gong Gong managed to preserve over 100 years later. 

Jing did not survive in this story because he suffered retaliation from the Nine-Tailed Fox spirit who imprisoned Xiao Yao as a child, and was apparently the spirit that the Tushan clan worships. The spirit attacked Jing after it recognised the blood inside Jing as Xiao Yao's, which was what led her to finally realise what Xiang Liu did with the blood he drew from her.

Oh, and Furball kept faithful vigil and finally died at the site where Xiang Liu perished, and Xiao Yao managed to reincarnate it as Miao Pu and Left Ear's child, A Liu.

Oh, wow. I love it already.

Thank you Liddi! You’re always so awesome <3

Kokuto:

That’s us, alright! Favorite scene ?

liddi:

This author changed it so that XY didn't kill her captor?

I do think this is a clever way of getting XY to realize how XL used the blood that she gave him.

liddi:

Sad and sweet at the same time <3

AH :

This author changed it so that XY didn't kill her captor?

I do think this is a clever way of getting XY to realize how XL used the blood that she gave him.

Sad and sweet at the same time <3

No. The Nine-Tailed fox did die, but its vengeful spirit remained, and became the one that was worshipped by the Tushan clan, to whom Fangfeng Yiying was supposed to be sacrificed. And yes, it was a very clever way to reveal the truth to Xiao Yao, since no one else apart from Xiang Liu knew what became of the blood.

liddi:
No. The Nine-Tailed fox did die, but its vengeful spirit remained

Ah okay that makes sense.

liddi:
since no one else apart from Xiang Liu knew what became of the blood.

True. Sir Bi figured out XL's connection with the merpeople but didn't know about XY's blood.

Hi all

to YaoLiu frenemies...?

I am seeing a lot of interesting comments and that of I don't understand. But it's good to come cross different territory ?

@liddi
thanks you so much for sharing this.
I have some reaction to this leaked script.
Definetly it looks much less intense and I will have to forget about the original novel for awhile and the intense scenes I had been looking forward to see. But overall I think it is okay depending how it comes out. Am I the only one thinking that. 

Things changed:

Cang Xuan colluding with Hou to kill Jing is just a product of a illusion created by his grandfather, to remind him of the consequences should he give in to his inner desires and kills Jing over Xiao Yao

I don't really like dream illusion stuffs but I will see how they bring it up in the dramas.

Xiao Yao's hair apparently turned white after Jing's death, but was restored in the end.

The way to show her grief..its fine.

Xiao Yao never sees Xiang Liu's true form, and by extension her clinging on to Xiang Liu afterwards because the assassination attempt was omitted.

After Xiao Yao passed out due to extensive loss of blood extracted by Xiang Liu, he kissed her wrists to heal the wounds and held her unconscious form in his arms in grief.

A Nian brought the unconscious Xiao Yao to Jade Mountain at Xiang Liu's request, with the knowledge of the Royal Mother. Xiang Liu later extracts an oath from her never to reveal anything to Xiao Yao

Xiang Liu's true form appears when he destroys the bug - 8 heads at first (because he lost one life saving her after the Plum Forest assassination). We do see how indeed each head is tied to each life, when he killed one life to lure out the bug, and sacrificed two more lives to finally kill it.

The copious amount of blood he took from Xiao Yao was not to save Jing, but for Xiao Yao to recover after he forcibly lured the lover's bug out of her and killed it

now ..It's a bit problematic for me. XL sacrificing this much for killing love bugs somehow makes me cringe. I'd still prefer what he did in novel, sacrificing to both XY and Jing to be together and give his blessings. 

A Nian was grieved when the clam shell disintegrated in a sudden snow fall, leaving no trace of Xiang Liu ever being there
its ok...A Nian feel and sympathy for XL.

Jing survives not because Xiang Liu saved him, but of Xiao Yao's blood pill and him using a puppet which took the arrow during the attack. He was trapped in an underground cave, and would not have survived if he had not taken Xiao Yao's pill to regain his strength and clawed his way out
Hmm...ok..I will see how my man do it.

Xiao Yao found out about Xiang Liu's death before the wedding. This time the scene ends with the song she sang to lure Fei Fei

This piece is also fine. XY is finally letting out her emotions for XL and by singing I think it's sort of show she will keep this piece of love within her even when she will marry and live on with another man she loves too.

A Nian's sadness while giving the big bellied doll to Xiao Yao, reminding her specifically to bring it with her wherever she goes, so that a part of Xiang Liu is forever with her, even if she doesn't know it

It's fine sisters scenes .

Xiao Yao and Jing leave for Qingshui town after their wedding, instead of going to the ocean to settle down in one of the many uncharted islands
I wonder what will bring them to leave for QS town.. (because of Xing Yue? or YaoJing preference life?) but I think it's fine. I'd prefer them leaving off to ocean ...roaming the world there, into the world of the man who actually blessed them to be together. And also we can continue imaging about how exciting their advantures maybe like afterwards.

For me, I think the real problem is that if CX is not the one to kill TSJ and does not make XY felt that betrayed, it's not likely he will lost her forever. Because he did not 'lost' her for real. It's more like he will be yearning for her in his romantic way forever. The English title they should have used actually is "Forever Yearning for You" or "Eternally Yearning for You". (In the original story it's beautiful how three men love stories are woven together with XY. Although leaving CX, she still has his token of love by keeping the Ro Mu flower. She will be keeping the big belly doll to cheer her up which has XL's hidden love within. And she had TSJ to be with her for the rest of her life to rely on.)

So yep overall I don't think its bad.  It's just I may have to put the original story away for awhile. I think is fine although not as intense and majestic as the original. My score will be depends on how the final product comes out. 

P.S let me share this comment on the YaoJing thread too. 

Winny Aye:

Hi all

to YaoLiu frenemies...?

I am seeing a lot of interesting comments and that of I don't understand. But it's good to come cross different territory ?

Hey Winny! How it's going?

We've been sort of calm lately. Not me though, I'm never calm. But it's life, you know? Gotta pay the bills, do some adulting every now and then, and come back here to suffer a little. Just another Tuesday. Wednesday, actually. I should be sleeping, btw.

Well, enjoy! It's fun hanging around on frenemy territory. Just try to avoid the lashes and please leave the neck bites to me. I already called dibs :)

nathsketch:

Hey Winny! How it's going?

We've been sort of calm lately. Not me though, I'm never calm. But it's life, you know? Gotta pay the bills, do some adulting every now and then, and come back here to suffer a little. Just another Tuesday. Wednesday, actually. I should be sleeping, btw.

Well, enjoy! It's fun hanging around on frenemy territory. Just try to avoid the lashes and please leave the neck bites to me. I already called dibs :)

Im doing fine..??

hehehe yep real life matters too.. 

LOVE BITE TO YOU???

Wishing you the best dream and sleep?

Winny Aye:
Im doing fine..??

hehehe yep real life matters too..

Good! Yes, it does.

Winny Aye:
LOVE BITE TO YOU???

Oh yeah, bring 'em on!

Winny Aye:
Wishing you the best dream and sleep?

Thank you thank you! You too! ?

Winny Aye:

Hi all

to YaoLiu frenemies...?

Welcome!

This is always an informative thread.  It's been a little busy today, with the supposed leaked script discussion.  O_O

One day, I'll catch up.

@Winny Aye 

Welcome! Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the leaked script.

I usually keep an open mind to changes in adaptations. As Tong Hua herself said in a 2019 interview regarding what changes are acceptable in adaptations: 

My greatest hope is that the characters and their emotions are retained. Novels are two-dimensional while dramas are three dimensional. As such, when a novel is adapted into a drama, changes are inevitable. Some changes are due to funding requirements. One can be unrestrained with the descriptions in the novels, but such scenes cannot be filmed in reality. Such changes are understandable. However, I personally hope to retain the integrity of the character and their emotions. Although the plot or scenes may change, if the character's integrity can be upheld throughout, then the adaptation is a good one in my eyes.  "

While we do not know whether the leaked script is the finalised version, or authentic (though I am of the mind that it is due to how detailed it is, ranging across 20 episodes), based on what I have seen so far, some additional scenes flesh out the interactions better, while some cut scenes do not impact the flow of the narrative. However, I do balk at changes that defy logic and undermine the narrative or a character arc. As I mentioned in my original post, the changes (not having Xiang Liu being the one who kept Jing alive, and Xiao Yao and Jing's decision to retreat to Qingshui town instead of heading towards the ocean) undermine the entire context of Xiang Liu's sacrifices to ensure she has someone whom she can rely on for life, and a place to go.  

According to the script, Xiao Yao and Jing chose Qingshui town because she missed their times there the most. However, later when Cang Xuan and A Nian visited the town, they did not see her (though I suspect the person who bumped into A Nian was Xiao Yao in disguise). This negates everything Xiang Liu  did - giving of his essential blood to her and the map of the sea - enabling her to be able to retreat to the ocean, or explore and settle in one of the uncharted islands outside of Cang Xuan's jurisdiction.  The only saving grace I can think of regarding Xiao Yao's choice is that Xiang Liu died in the wilderness at the outskirts of Qingshui town, and it could have influenced her decision. Nonetheless, I am not exactly convinced that is what the script had in mind. 

Also, how does the drama hope to explain that Xiang Liu did keep his promise and ensured she had someone to rely on for life, when Jing's survival was due to Xiao Yao's blood pill rather than Xiang Liu? I cannot see the connection unless I missed the details somewhere since I have not yet read the script back to back.

You are right - the script shows that Cang Xuan will forever yearn for her although this time, he is willing to let her go and be with Jing. They have also reconciled, so there is no question of losing her forever, except that she wants to lead the simple life she longs for. It fits the actual translation of 长相思 but not as much the official English title "Lost You Forever".

Just as clarification for those who wonder why Xingyue would kill Jing - her aim had always been to kill Xiao Yao with Hou and Yiying's help, and Jing was just collateral damage. However, she did not expect Yiying to change the plans at the last minute and spare Xiao Yao, going after her faithless lover instead. 

As for why the culprit was changed from Cang Xuan to Xingyue, my take is that they are unwilling to have the man who loves Xiao Yao so desperately be totally vilified, especially when we recall the happiness of their childhood. Secondly, he was the one that unified the Great Plains, and we will get an additional scene after Xiao Yao's departure where after 50+ years, the painstaking research going into the medical compendium Xiao Yao started was finally completed, and he would honour all the medical researchers who gave their all, including their lives, to complete it.