solarlunareclipse:
While it is more grammatically correct to use the word "轮" to quantify a round moon (一轮圆月) and the word "牙" to quantify a crescent moon (一牙弯月), in practice, the measure word "轮" is not always used this way. This article states that there is a Song dynasty poem that refers to "一轮新月" (a new moon): https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/75539447.html

So in the case of the night Xiao Yao found out about Xiang Liu's death, I would tend to believe the math that calculates a waning crescent moon rather rely on the use of "一轮" to infer that the moon was full. The math is explained here.

If you read the comment below your article, the person stated that 一轮 can only be used when the moon is round. 

In any case, the only reason Xiao Yao would look at the moon on the night she learnt of Xiang Liu's death and recall the time she shared that sight with Xiang Liu, was because it reminded her of the moon that night, which means the moon on both nights were round.

Contrast that to the text I mentioned earlier before Xiao Yao spoke of Jing's arrangement for a wedding on a full moon day. That text clearly states it was not long after the day of the full moon, and that if one looked closely, one would realise that the moon was not round.

blabla100:
Just to double check, Meng xia means june without a doubt or summer? 

孟夏 is not June. It is the first month of summer, which is the fourth month of the lunar calendar.

blabla100:
The full moon was the night right before, the night she met XL. It was supposed to be her and jing's wedding night and we know Jing picked the full moon day to get married.

I agree. I believe the full moon was the night before. I don't believe more than 1 day passed between when XY declared her vows to the moon and when she told her story. So 31 days before the night that XY declared her vows was still not the full moon.

liddi:
If you read the comment below your article, the person stated that 一轮 can only be used when the moon is round. 

Agree to disagree here. I would tend to give more credibility to a well-researched answer citing Song dynasty poetry over the more terse answers that say this usage of 一轮 is wrong. We know that it's not the most grammatically correct usage, but it doesn't prevent people from using it this way.

liddi:
In any case, the only reason Xiao Yao would look at the moon on the night she learnt of Xiang Liu's death and recall the time she shared that sight with Xiang Liu, was because it reminded her of the moon that night, which means the moon on both nights were round.

I understand where you're coming from, but the text doesn't specifically state that the moon the night she learned of Xiang Liu's death looked the same as the moon she viewed with Xiang Liu. Anyway, I believe the math that calculates a waning crescent moon.

liddi:

孟夏 is not June. It is the first month of summer, which is the fourth month of the lunar calendar.

I believe we all have different interpretations of what the moon represents in lyf, but I guess we can all agree that there is a meaning behind it. I personally do believe that the moon XY saw when she found out about XL's death was full, but I choose to put emphasis on it's description, bright and full, yet cold and lonely. In my interpretation, XY did achieve to get the forever companion she wanted, in contrast with the half moon she looked at at the beginning of the novel, yet despite achieving her wish, she was left cold and lonely due to XL's death, because the person she most wanted to spend her entire life with was him, not Jing.  Again, there is a reason why TH tried to both tie Jing to the full moon and fail at it. 

XY singing to Jing în chapter 43 was definetely  not on a full moon, the full moon was the night before, the night she spent with XL on the beach, the night she was supposed to be her wedding night. Going back 31 days, the last time she met Jing, that night wasn't a full moon either, even though she said it was. That night looked as a full moon night too, because it was almost full, but the full moon happens every 29,5 days, so I don't believe the remark about having seen Jing 32 days ago was unintentional. 

windiaaa041293:
@liddi I'm counting on you. Thank you very much.

The screenshot of Tong Hua's post is incomplete. 

This is what the screenshot captured:

Long ago, I once mentioned that when I read "Flying Fox on Snowy Mountain", although I was extremely moved, the truth is I could not condone Hu Yidao's wife's suicide. As such, we have [the scenario of] Older cousin (Cang Xuan) and his mother.
Even after he grew up, Older cousin was still haunted by the sight of his mother stabbing herself. He was always battling with the shadow of that stab his entire life.
As a wife, choosing to die with her husband is a moving choice. However, as a mother, since she gave birth to a child, she should have taken responsibility for her child.
There is another emotional outcome in Lost You Forever.
Western Poison Ouyang Feng from Baituo Mountain, was the most outstanding person in the pugilistic world. Ouyang Ke was his son with his sister-in-law.
This residual shadow was transformed into Maggie Cheung's unparalleled elegance, and Leslie Cheung's drunken haze in Wong Kar Wai's movie [东邪西毒 Ashes of Time]. The world keeps them apart, but they can't forget each other even if they tried.
But what about Western Poison's older brother? The lord of Baituo Mountain?
No one cared, and it seemed he did not even have a name.
I listened to 烬 Embers (from the movie), but the one I thought of was the man Ouyang of Baituo Mountain who did not even have a name.
He married a woman who did not love him. Why?
Ouyang Feng missed the woman on Baituo Mountain, yet never thought of visiting his older brother. Why?
That woman could arrange for someone to deliver a jar of wine into Ouyang Feng's hand, and could give birth to his son. He was on Baituo mountain, was the lord of Baituo mountain, but...

-- 桐华tonghua @ Weibo, 4-10, 16:30  (year unknown)

So I can't tell what she wanted to say about Ouyang Feng's brother who was cuckolded and put up with it, and the conclusion she drew (similar to what she did for Cang Xuan's case). 

As for the rest, those are theories that this parallels Hou, Yiying and Jing's situation, where Yiying was married to Jing but had an affair with Hou and gave birth to his son. According to the theory, Ouyang Feng's brother Ouyang Lie was impotent after being accidentally struck by Ouyang Feng many years ago when they were training martial arts. The elders kept the information from the brothers and compensated Ouyang Lie by giving him a wife and making him the lord of Baituo mountain. The idea was that one day when Ouyang Feng had a son, the child would inherit the position as lord. When Ouyang Lie's wife was pregnant, the elders put her to death for being unfaithful. At the time, Ouyang Feng had no idea the reason for their decision, and his protests went unheeded. Even in death, she would not reveal the father of her child, asking only that her child be spared. Not wishing for the scandal to be known, the news was put out that she died at childbirth.

So the theory claimed that since the situation is supposed to parallel the Tushan brothers, they take it to mean that Jing was probably impotent too, since after he could walk, Xiao Liu would have no idea how well his less apparent injuries recovered as he applied his medicine by himself once he was able to.

Without Tong Hua's full post, all these are just theories being bandied about, which I won't put much stock on until we see the entirety of what Tong Hua had to say.

solarlunareclipse:

Agree to disagree here. I would tend to give more credibility to a well-researched answer citing Song dynasty poetry over the more terse answers that say this usage of 一轮 is wrong. We know that it's not the most grammatically correct usage, but it doesn't prevent people from using it this way.

I understand where you're coming from, but the text doesn't specifically state that the moon the night she learned of Xiang Liu's death looked the same as the moon she viewed with Xiang Liu. Anyway, I believe the math that calculates a waning crescent moon.

Let's just agree to disagree. 

liddi:
No, Xiao Yao was not lying. At the time when she sang the song to Jing at the sea, it was not to a full moon, but not long after the day of the full moon, which corroborates her 32-day statement.

The text before it says this:

太阳渐渐落下,月儿从海面升起,刚过满月之日不久,不仔细看,月亮依旧是圆的。

The sun gradually set, and the moon rose from the surface of the ocean. The day of the full moon had just passed not too long ago, so without looking closely, the moon still appeared to be round.

-- Vol 3 Ch10  (Chapter 43)

@blabla100

As I quoted in my previous post, the novel itself clearly states that the day of the full moon passed not too long ago, and that it deliberately mentioned that the moon only appeared round if one did not look closely, but was actually not round. As such, Xiao Yao was not lying about the 32 days. She would know clearer than anyone else how long ago it had been since she last saw Jing.

liddi:

@blabla100

As I quoted in my previous post, the novel itself clearly states that the day of the full moon passed not too long ago, and that it deliberately mentioned that the moon only appeared round if one did not look closely, but was actually not round. As such, Xiao Yao was not lying about the 32 days. She would know clearer than anyone else how long ago it had been since she last saw Jing.

Oh I wasn't saying that XY lied about the 32 days, on the contrary. The fact that she mentioned about the 32 days points to the fact that  the night she last saw Jing wasn't a full moon night either.  I was referring to this night here. 

"The last time we saw each other was thirty-two days ago, on the day of a full moon during the first month of summer." 

If it happened 31 days ago, I don't believe it was a full moon night either, regardless of what XY thought or said, because google says that full moon happens every 29,5 days. It does say on average, but what does that mean exactly I am not sure. 

blabla100:
I personally do believe that the moon XY saw when she found out about XL's death was full, but I choose to put emphasis on it's description, bright and full, yet cold and lonely.

To clarify, the description used in this passage: "一轮皓月,冷冷清清", does not necessarily translate to "a bright full moon, cold and desolate". "轮" can mean round, but used here as "一轮", it is just a measure word, one that usually has the connotation of "round", but not always since we have examples of Song dynasty poetry using the measure word "一轮" to quantify a new moon "一轮新月". 

So another valid translation of "一轮皓月,冷冷清清" is "a bright moon, cold and desolate", with no mention of the word full.

Do you think Tong Hua is more likely to give YaoJing's wedding night a full moon or a waning crescent moon? I would place my bets on the latter.

blabla100:
If it happened 31 days ago, I don't believe it was a full moon either, regardless of what XY thought, because google says that full moon happens every 29,5 days. It does say on average, but what does that mean exactly I am not sure. 

Jing returned to Qing Qiu for the wedding preparations on 孟夏 month (first month of summer), one month before the wedding. On the 20th of that month, he left for Qingshui town and was ambushed  (Vol 3 Ch9 / Chapter 42)

As for a full moon happening every 29.5 days, I think it would be extremely pedantic for Tong Hua to say 29.5 days had passed, rather than a month. So perhaps some leeway should be given when reading the text, except for those times when she specifically stated the actual number of days or times. 

Anyway, hats off to you for analysing the moons and its meanings in relation to the characters, particularly Xiao Yao's mood. For me, I mostly just see the poetic symbolism, such as the two moons that mirror each other and bookend Xiao Yao and Xiang Liu's memories, the first, glorious and breathtaking, that melted her hardened shell, and the last, cold, desolate, alone, that reflected her shattered heart.

solarlunareclipse:
Do you think Tong Hua is more likely to give YaoJing's wedding night a full moon or a waning crescent moon? I would place my bets on the latter.

In what way does seeing a "full moon" on the night she found out about Xiang Liu's death mean Xiao Yao got married on a full moon? The novel clearly states that several days had passed after the wedding before Sir Bi and Lie Yang left for Jade Mountain, and Xiao Yao learnt of Xiang Liu's death. The knowledge of his passing did not happen on the very next day of her wedding.

@solarlunareclipse

"Do you think Tong Hua is more likely to give YaoJing's wedding night a full moon or a waning crescent moon? I would place my bets on the later

But their wedding wasn't on a full moon night. 

@liddi

I think your way of interpreting the moon is very valid too. Out of curiosity though, why do you think Jing wanted a full moon day to get married? 

liddi:

In what way does seeing a "full moon" on the night she found out about Xiang Liu's death mean Xiao Yao got married on a full moon? The novel clearly states that several days had passed after the wedding before Sir Bi and Lie Yang left for Jade Mountain, and Xiao Yao learnt of Xiang Liu's death. The knowledge of his passing did not happen on the very next day of her wedding.

blabla100:
But their wedding wasn't on a full moon night.

Ok, this is my bad. I missed the passage that said Sir Bi and Lie Yang stayed a few more days after the wedding before departing. As long as YaoJing gets a waning crescent moon on their wedding night, I'm perfectly happy with Xiao Yao finding out about Xiang Liu's death on a full moon night. In fact, as liddi pointed it, it would be poetic for the moon to come full circle like this.

@solarlunareclipse

"As long as YaoJing gets a waning crescent moon on their wedding night,  I'm perfectly happy"

Definetely, lol. I guess their relationship will grow over time, but again, Jing is the one XY learns to love, while XL is the one XY couldn't help but love.