Erica I know what you mean. We talked about h while I was on the car going to Alabama a week ago. I was waiting anxiously for this drama but I guess I have to start lowering my expectations :0)

Ps: I need emojis 

Kokuto:

Yes!  I couldn't believe it.  It was so darn sappy and there was hardly any plot.  But every episode, I was sitting there grinning until my face hurt.  I think there were subliminals that worked on me.  Plus, I took great enjoyment in yelling at my TV, "See, Xiao Yao!"  lol

I love the dubbing stuff and the songs and the concerts.  And I enjoyed the interactions with the supporting cast.  Everyone's family and friends were fun.  I also liked the travelog and food.

I couldn’t like it Kokuto and I was trying to give it a chance. Remember that we talked about it during the first episodes when I was in Colombia and those weren’t that bad but then TAN TAN TAN. Awkwardness to the maximum level :) :P

nathsketch:

Excuse me, what?

What’s that now? Are you serious?

Did he have to come out and set the record straight? Did people come with rulers and measuring tapes?

Ok, bye. 

Heheheh

Not that I know of.  I think it was just squashed by the stars, and dismissed for the ridiculous mess it was.

nathsketch:

I don’t know what happened to Kokuto, to you, to me, to the whole universe. Nothing makes sense. I talked to two more Tan friends and they all dropped it. Are we insane? Why don’t we like it? We were supposed to like it. This was meant to be liked.

More therapy needed. I need to send him my bills lololol

I'm guessing it was too sweet and bland for you guys.  Just not used to seeing Tan Jian Ci smile so much in a role.  What was it Avenue X said, the 'uncanny valley'?  Plus, I don't seem to have the antipathy some of you guys had toward sheltered ingenue Gu Sheng.  I mean, she was by no means my favorite type of FL, and she didn't give Dr. Mo a whole lot to interact with, but she wasn't hurtful or stupid.  I think she appealed to alot of people who are shy and not great conversationalists.

CEMS2001:

You know that I have watched so many dramas in 7 years but what I could watch was so weird, like I told you a week ago, that love confession is one of the worst one that I’ve seen, the chemistry isn’t there, so many weird scenes that don’t make sense :0(. And like I told you, Tan’s performance wasn’t that great either. He is so talented but I couldn’t see it there 

The real confession was supposed to be awkward.  Actually several things were supposed to be that way, since neither of them had dated before.  Talking about food and recipes before he met her was because he didn't know what to talk with her about.

I agree, the chemistry wasn't as good as with Yang Zi / XY, but it's a completely different kind of relationship.  Dr. Mo was really having to carry alot of that relationship, even though they both started from a similar place, i.e. fans of a voice.  But it improved once the kissing started... which was later, like episode 19, I think.

The role wasn't as charismatic and passionate as XL, or as subtle as Shen Yi, but for fans of these sorts of fluffly romances, I think Tan Jian Ci played the perfect boyfriend they were looking for in that sort of show.  Though I could also see where all the smiling from Tan got edited into those psycho FMV.  lol

As I said, I really enjoyed the singing and dubbing parts, as well as his interactions with his friends.  Both times his room mate ended up in his bed was hilarious. And Dr. Mo was like the strong calm eye of the hurricane of more excitable co-workers.

But you aren't alone in your dislike of the show.  Like I said, I'm surprised that I enjoyed it so much, cause it was beyond fluffy and sweet.

nathsketch:
I couldn’t even go past episode 5, so I never really saw that confession, except for some clips.

I watched those five episodes back to back after the CCXP. Maybe I was tired, I don’t know. I did try to watch some random episodes that were recommended to me but, unfortunately, the FL ruined this for me. I can’t really say anything about Tan because my bias blinds me. I just dislike people saying he acts weirdly with her. No, he doesn’t. It’s that darn girl that behaves like a toddler. She needs a nanny. It’s like he has to do everything, as always. Sorry, not sorry.

Yes, some of the complaints about the alleged inequalities in their relationship were tiresome.  I honestly don't know why these folks are watching these shows -- all they see are abusers.

nathsketch:

Teach me your ways, master.

play the drama at the speed of at least x1.25

HeadInTheClouds:
I still get teary reading certain passages in the novel and watching certain scenes in the drama. It's really bad and I obviously need help :-). Have you read the novel?

No, I haven't. I only watched LYF for TJC so I think I came into it with a bit of a different mindset than fans of the source material. While I really like the character of XL (and Wen Xiaoliu and to a lesser extent XY), it's really TJC's portrayal of XL that I enjoy and care about. I'm not invested in the source material and I wouldn't have even started watching the show if TJC wasn't in it because gu ou (idol costume dramas) is not a genre I gravitate to. 

HeadInTheClouds:
LMAO! These fans really are nuts. I can't imagine getting all up in arms fighting for the honour of someone that I don't even know.

IKR?  And given how the celebs sue the heck out of these weibo slanderers, I'm stunned anyone would post about someone's sausage.

HeadInTheClouds:
He seems smart and sane. He probably also loves the work rather than in it solely for the fame or adulation. Plus, his path hasn't been the easiest so it might have kept him grounded. It's very easy to let all the adoration go to your head. Hopefully, he will continue to keep a level head.

I agree on all counts, especially with not having an easy path in the past.

HeadInTheClouds:
I don't doubt that crazy is universal :-). Anyone who has ever peak into the Supernatural fandom will be able to attest to that. Those people are craze-craze. It's highly entertaining for someone who just likes to watch the drama. PR games are still very much a part of current Hollywood, except the stars have more control.

The current Asian's systems resemble to studio system of Old Hollywood. And the idea of incredibly well-organized fan clubs that worked in conjunction with the stars and their PR/management team seems to be more of an Asian thing.

I've thought the same about similarities to Old Hollywood.  Though endorsements work differently here.  They don't have the fan extras that you get with buying the products.

Heh ... Supernatural fandom.  Or Buffy.  Or Star Trek.  Or ... well, just about any fandom that runs for some time.

HeadInTheClouds:
Lazy is very much my middle name. That, plus stingy. I'm stingy with my time and money unless it's towards myself or people that I have actual relationships with :-). I can understand the joy of shared experiences. Kinda like going to a concert or a premiere. But just hanging around waiting for someone to show up at the airport? Hard pass.

Yep.  Not going to hang out at the airport, either.  Though I know I waste far too much time on my fannish interests.  But it's better than running the streets or other addictive behavior, so I figure it isn't so bad. ;p

HeadInTheClouds:
I think there's a lot of joy in finding something that you connect with and sharing it with like-minded people. The key is moderation, which for the "stans" is non-existent. There seems to be a huge component of identity to these fans and the way they see their idols. Being a fan of X has become a part of their identity, so if someone criticizes X, that is seen as a personal attack and these fans go nuts to protect their idol i.e. themselves.

Moderation or self awareness ... which probably are related.  Though I know I use all sorts of tricks and sabotage to help me reach some level of moderation -- which may or may not be successful. ;p

Our fandoms are about identity and choosing tribes, so yes, of course, there's a certain personal investment there.  And to be fair, it's encouraged.  But again, as you said, moderation.

HeadInTheClouds:
Hmm, maybe I should do a PhD on fans and their psychological make-up, linking in with failed identity formations and potentially poor interpersonal relationships :-)

It's a rich field!

H19279:

play the drama at the speed of at least x1.25

That would be funny.

atmospheres:
I'm not invested in the source material and I wouldn't have even started watching the show if TJC wasn't in it because gu ou (idol costume dramas) is not a genre I gravitate to.

What is your favorite Tan Jian Ci drama, then?

CEMS2001:

I couldn’t like it Kokuto and I was trying to give it a chance. Remember that we talked about it during the first episodes when I was in Colombia and those weren’t that bad but then TAN TAN TAN. Awkwardness to the maximum level :) :P

TAN TAN TAN indeed.

nathsketch:

That would be funny.

If you play at x.1.25, the drama still looks very normal since its original pace is too slow.

I was very tolerant with LMLMV and I didn't want to drop it. But near the end It is hard to stand Shen Shen and Dr. Mo's care of each other. It's so unrealistic. For some part in the end I played at the speed of x1.5.  She was 22 year old person, why did he treat her as a kid? Cooking is fun but cooking of dozens kilograms of pig feet for midnight meal right before the concert especially with tiny domestic pan was insance. And at the end Dr. Mo played as main chef in the restaurant to cook for his friends and Shen Shen. LOL My husband would scream at my face if I did so. Talking, playing with friends/family is more important than cooking/eating. 

nathsketch:

I’m legit worried about Love Has Fireworks. WCR last drama has a rating of 2.8 on…somewhere from a picture I was sent. Douban maybe?

Anyway, we live in fear. Nothing new. Lololol

I'm still going to watch Love Has Fireworks all the way until the end since I didn't finish watching LMLMV. I know it's going to be better since the female lead isn't acting like a 12 year old and doesn't have that starstruck look on her face all the time.

Elise:

I'm still going to watch Love Has Fireworks all the way until the end since I didn't finish watching LMLMV. I know it's going to be better since the female lead isn't acting like a 12 year old and doesn't have that starstruck look on her face all the time.

you mean this look:

Hello my bebiiiiiis!!!! I know i am late BUT: