Estelll:

This family tree is full of spoilers!!! But useful to consult from time to time anyway (especially for those who have watched it before), albeit a bit confusing, thanks for posting it & the character guide!!

I think that she's also the Emperor's sister, like Grand Princess Liyang, but I'm not sure (@Meng, help!) -- and I don't think that's a spoiler, but I'll hide it anyway, just in case.

The family tree is written so little that you have to personally zoom in & check it out, so users who click are fully aware they will find spoiler in it. Unfortunately MDL doesn't have the spoiler that work as a drop down menu.

For the characters guide I have put only names, roles and photos to avoid spoiler, is not easy to put them in order of connection/factions, there are too many, and some connections are revealed only later on, so I didn't put to many info on who they are.  

Hi guys! I'm Vya.

I've only started my addiction to Chinese costume dramas recently. At first I was more into romance series like Eternal Love, Eternal Love of Dream, Ashes of Love, etc, but then I discovered The Untamed, Joy of Life, Ancient Detectives and really enjoyed them (no jealous crazy bitches, how liberating!). 

I've tried Nirvana In Fire before, but the amount of characters in the first episodes were too overwhelming, I kinda got dizzy after watching. >.< This is one of the things I wish C-costume dramas learn how to do better. Like, what's the harm in introducing the characters bit by bit? And they (almost) always start the episode with a long intro about God-knows-who-or-what-ur-talking-bout-cause-I-just-got-here.

There are some interesting factors in NIF, though, and the high rating it got here in MDL compels me to give it another try, so I was glad that Meng told me about this group. Already I see a lot of useful guides added here, thanks very much for that!

Looking forward to a fun discussion with you!

Estelll:

This family tree is full of spoilers!!! But useful to consult from time to time anyway (especially for those who have watched it before), albeit a bit confusing, thanks for posting it & the character guide!!

I think that she's also the Emperor's sister, like Grand Princess Liyang, but I'm not sure (@Meng, help!) -- and I don't think that's a spoiler, but I'll hide it anyway, just in case.

If a Princess is a 'Grand Princess' or 'Elder Princess', that means they are the current emperor's sister. If there was no Grand or Elder and was just Princess _____, then they would be the daughter of the current Emperor.

Is it me or the Dowager Empress looks too young to be the King's mother? 

Vya van Velaris:

Is it me or the Dowager Empress looks too young to be the King's mother? 

She's not necessarily his actual (biological) mother, she could be any Consort of the previous Emperor for all we know. But yeah, she looks the same age as the Empress, lol.

Nirvana in Fire ending theme:

[ 胡歌 - 風起時] Hu Ge -When The Wind Blows

Estelll:

omg it was him singing it? Omg!

Minarii :

omg it was him singing it? Omg!

Yes, he's a great singer! If you scroll my feeds, I posted another song of his during #MusicMonday. It's not from NiF but it's great too

Hello, it's Saturday!

If you haven't seen the episodes yet, just skip my post. 

I just finished (re)watching the first two episodes and the thing that ALWAYS gets me is Hu Ge(Mei Chang Su)'s expressions, especially when he's in his carriage next to walls of capital city(Jinling):

I usually don't take screenshots from NiF but this time I forced myself to click pause to capture his face. 

We are slowly getting introduced to new, important characters like Xiao Jing Rui and (one of my favourites) Meng Zhi (and not because his name is Meng, I swear. We are different Mengs)

So I have rewatched the first two episodes, and I don't have that many thoughts lol Still like fancy Prince Yu, no idea why. Monkey boi is cute as ever. Ma dude Jing is hot and there is not enough of him.
I checked my reaction posts from when I was watching it for the first time tho, so here are some highlights

"I feel like everyone is a Crown Prince, or at least a prince. The royal family freaking huge. I have no idea who is who and if they even from the same royal family or if there are a lot of royal families." The confusion was real

"Mei Chang Su: We don't kill people here - he says as he is drowning the dude. I like him already. He is also dying right? So I can assume he be dead by the end of the show. So let's not get too attached lol."  that time I still liked Chang Su

":me watching Princess Ni Huang fighting two dudes: I like her :looking at Chang Su: He likes her lol" the RoMaNcE

"OH DUDE. Imagine love line between Princess Ni Huan and Xia Dong! That would be some good shit." random wild thoughts.

And then episode 2:

"Can we talk about how fancy Prince Yu is? Like, his style is so on point he looks fabulous." I still like his aesthetics

"The thing I love about Chinese historical fantasy dramas is that gravity does not exist there." Sarcasm detected. I talked about it with Meng today, I just feel like they overdid some things here. 

"HE KNELT FOR 3 MONTHS? WHERE AND HOW DID HE PEE?! Did he have like toilet breaks? all the questions and no answers!" laughed about this when I was rewatching too

"YOOOOO! I AM FORMING PRINCE JING DEFENSE CLUB! Everyone's ganging up on him when all the is doing is being hot and unbothered." How Prince Jing became Ma Dude Jing. 

I'm laughing so bad right now... Coz I was truly enjoying it at first and I have no idea what happened hahaha I mean I do, but that's for later discussions lol 

Estelll:

It's amazing how most of these Chinese actors are also singers, and even more the fact that they sing their own series' themes. Ashes of Love, The Untamed, Joy of Life, and now NIF?!

It's still Friday in my timezone, but since Meng has started the discussion...  who am I to say no? 

Okay, my thoughts over the first 2 episodes:

1. It's still overwhelming to know who's who in the (VERY GIGANTIC!) zoo. 

I mean, why oh why do we need to know all these 1000 characters in 2 episodes? I even had to look up our ML name when I'm writing this, because I just can't remember anything. (Okay, maybe it's just me.) 

2. It doesn't help my poor brain when a character keeps changing their appearance, like from this:

to this (man in the middle): 

3. Or when this is the son:

And this is the mother:

I mean, if China has found the secret of how to look younger than your son, they definitely should share it with the world (read: moi)!

4. I like our ML better with his hair down than up. And that fuzzy fur is an added bonus.

5. Fei Liu (aptly named 'monkey boi' by Kate) is so cute! Look at those cheeks made to squeeze!

6. And what's the deal with that stupid Crown Prince talking about bringing dust inside, etc, when Prince Jing arrived? Prince Jing is 1000000% better than you, dirt and dust and all!  

7. The meeting with Grandma Empress.... OMG, was Mei Changsu/Su Zhe/Lin Whoever/ML part of the court? Was he the princess' fiancé (who supposedly died?).  We only get to see that his father is some military man, but who is he, really? Interesting...

8. Last, hey, a random guy appearance. Do I need to know or care who he is?

Vya van Velaris:
8. Last, hey, a random guy appearance. Do I need to know or care who he is?

Mu Qing, Mu Nihuang's brother

Additional random thought:

9. The inside of Langya Hall, with all the bookcases/drawers reminds me of the library scene in Fantastic Beast Crime of Grindelwald.

mengosteen:

Mu Qing, Mu Nihuang's brother

Aha! *trying to remember important facts about this guy*. 

And is ChiYan the same as Northern Yan? I look it up with Google Translate in case it's a translation thing, but the Chinese word for north is běi.