What hidden drama should I watch? It can be recent or old as long as I can access it online!

She is Wow!

Not sure how obscure it is but I felt like I had discovered a hidden gem. It's quite different and funny, but has low ratings. Probably more suitable to mature audiences, it deals with a very messed up family and marriage/divorce themes. I really enjoyed it.

Ruler of Your Own World

Critically acclaimed and moderately successful during its original run in South Korea, but never really got big among international fans. Refreshingly realistic, especially compared to more popular Kdramas from early 2000s (and still is, even by today's standards). I noticed that you've watched I Am Your Teacher; if you liked Yang Dong-geun (the guy who played the teacher in that drama), I can assure you that you would like him even more in Ruler of Your Own World.

The End of the World

A mash of zombie apocalypse and medical drama. Got cut because of abysmal ratings, but still managed to be good.

coffee house, is funny, very fluffy and you the ending will surprise you, who end with who.

Heard it Through the Grapevine 

I don't hear too much talk about this drama, I think it deserves a better score and views number for the way in which the value of justice is transmitted, a value that should be at the base of society and the family. The couple is very sweet and pure, but the elderly couple is the mirror of a corrupt society, that the director knows how to paint in a very ironic way that is very funny the most of the times. 

Not a TV drama, but the movie Uzumasa Limelight.

Kekkon Dekinai Otoko - I don't know if this is not popular, but I rarely see it mentioned.  This drama won/nominated awards though. (There is a Korean version as well) One of my favorite Japanese dramas of all time.

Once Upon a time in High School - Korean movie about High School in 1978. This was actually my first Korean movie that I saw (and before ANY korean dramas). And I do not recommend it to be anyone's first experience of Korean movie or drama. Why? because I got confused, I saw this late in the 2000s, but the movie takes place in 1978. There were lots I did not understand at first. Like I didn't realize the main character was very good friends with the fat guy if it wasn't for that last scene lol. That said, I think it's a good movie.

Hello School Girl - Korean Movie about Older man and high school girl falling in love.

Fake Couple - Japanese drama based on...as you guessed it, Fake Marriage/couple. This is one of Amami Yuki's best work imo. You can really see the growth of her character in this drama (I don't really want to spoil  but focus on her smile as the episodes go by). This is also one of Sawamura Ikki's most tolerable performance (for me anyway lol). It deals with other things as well, such as homosexuality, but not in a tacky way.

In the Mood for Love - Movie from 2000 by Wong Kar-Wai. Amazing cinematography and great script. This falls out of the "non-popular" criteria because it is popular to critics, film buffs, and other folks who are into movies. But for common/casual folks, I rarely see it mentioned.

Saigo Kara Nibanme no Koi - Seasons 1 and 2. This is basically a family drama in a nutshell.  It has it's funny moments here and there and your usual touching moments as well. There is main romance between two older people, but it's a very slow burn romance. Here's the thing, the way the romance is depicted in this show between the main couple is very mellow. In fact, I expect people to get bored watching this drama. Why? because it isn't your usual romcom couple where they make a big scene or shout at each other or stare at each other, etc. The main couple talk....A LOT (the banter is one of the best imo).  Heck I remember 1 scene where they talk for 10 minutes straight, no cuts (I maybe exaggerating), so be prepared for that.

Sexy Voice and Robo - another one of my favorite dramas. Great comedy and fun drama. Gets a bit serious near the end. Could've had multiple season but oh well. It's a bit slapstick in this comedy, but it really shows the range of the actors/actresses in this drama.  This is definitely obscure imo.

Proud of Love - Chinese drama with the body swap premise. I just had fun watching the first season. Second season is alright I guess? Anyways, it's hilarious at many points. Of course, cliche moments are unavoidable but still the whole show is enjoyable. (This probably falls out of your "obscure" criteria.

The Pirates - What if I told you that there is a Korean movie about Pirates and Bandits? and that it had a high production value? Well that movie exists! 

Go Back Couple - Second chance romance 

What's Up Fox? - Age gap/ noona romance

Bride of the Century - Supernatural/ fantasy + romcom

Fight For My Way - Great romcom about chasing your dreams and childhood friends turned lovers

Cunning Single Lady - second chance romance

King2Hearts - Amazing drama about politics, corruption and a heartwarming romance. It highlights the best virtues too: loyalty, friendship, courage, honesty, responsibility towards the people we love.

Liar Game - One of the most intelligent/ genius shows I've seen

Queen In Hyun's Man - Superb time travelling drama

Hope you'll enjoy them! :)

kura2ninja:

Ruler of Your Own World

Critically acclaimed and moderately successful during its original run in South Korea, but never really got big among international fans. Refreshingly realistic, especially compared to more popular Kdramas from early 2000s (and still is, even by today's standards). I noticed that you've watched I Am Your Teacher; if you liked Yang Dong-geun (the guy who played the teacher in that drama), I can assure you that you would like him even more in Ruler of Your Own World.

The End of the World

A mash of zombie apocalypse and medical drama. Got cut because of abysmal ratings, but still managed to be good.

I second Ruler of Your Own World.

Also:

Dr. Kkang

Flowers For My Life

Soulmate, this one might not be obscure

Bad Family, although I don't know if this fits your criteria of being obscure

Secret Investigation Record

Mixed Up Investigation Agency

+1 Flowers for My Life - it's a slow, moving, satisfying story.

Night Light, almost no one I know watched it.  Good strong women led cast of great characters, an interesting plot.  it's about business strategy so it's a bit dry and not everybody's cup of tea, but even though it's set in modern times, it felt like i was watching a political sageuk, and i love political sageuks.

Zeni Geba - it has a very interesting revenge plot, with lots of drama and plot twists; it's really intriguing and suspenseful, but I don't think it's very popular

Sexy Voice and Robo - really enjoyed this one. Honestly, I don't remember much about the plot, but it left quite an impression on me... I actually want to rewatch it

Satorare - it's really sweet and funny, but at the same time, very inspiring and emotional

Kimi to Ita Mirai no Tame ni - a time-traveling drama with a very interesting premise

Prince William - this was a fun ride. I know it has its flaws, but it's really addictive

Sarashi:

Heard it Through the Grapevine 

I don't hear too much talk about this drama, I think it deserves a better score and views number for the way in which the value of justice is transmitted, a value that should be at the base of society and the family. The couple is very sweet and pure, but the elderly couple is the mirror of a corrupt society, that the director knows how to paint in a very ironic way that is very funny the most of the times. 

second that

Iwyn:

Zeni Geba - it has a very interesting revenge plot, with lots of drama and plot twists; it's really intriguing and suspenseful, but I don't think it's very popular

Sexy Voice and Robo - really enjoyed this one. Honestly, I don't remember much about the plot, but it left quite an impression on me... I actually want to rewatch it

Satorare - it's really sweet and funny, but at the same time, very inspiring and emotional

Kimi to Ita Mirai no Tame ni - a time-traveling drama with a very interesting premise

Prince William - this was a fun ride. I know it has its flaws, but it's really addictive

can u post the link for (sexy voice and robo )? I couldn't find it 

Last Game - very old drama, circa 1994. But it was pretty popular when it aired as can be seen as a pop culture reference in reply 1994. Not many current international drama watchers know it, but its one of the best coming of age drama that tackles, friendship, romance, dreams, hard work, rivalry.

Conspiracy of Court -had pretty abysmal ratings, plus it did npt have any popular actor thus people tend to pass it by, but this saguekis one of my few very good and inetresting dramas

Soul - this one actually is one ofreal horror kdramas. Very well made, and the concept was interesting since its such an anti-hero plot

Grudge: revolt of the fox tail -  this drama had such a sweet chikdhood romance plot but was overrun by horror, melodrama and revenge.  another horror fantasy drama. The chikd actresses in seo Shinae and Kim Yoojung, really performed. 

I also agree with Flowers for my Life, and End of the world and ofcourse soulmate

Not sure about their obscurity but I'd rec these

A Season of Good Rain:  sweet, simple romance

The Way We Were:   won 3 Golden Bells

To Be a Better Man:  possibly the best opening ever

2046 :  In the Mood for Love's sci-fi sister film

3-Iron:  art-house flick

Il Mare:  fantasy/rom flick

Norwegian Wood:  not for the faint of heart

redxxxcrimson:

can u post the link for (sexy voice and robo )? I couldn't find it 

Honestly, I don't remember where I first watched it, but it's available on dramacool... though don't expect a very good quality