Anyone have any recommendations for older j-dramas they think are still totally worth watching or are under-appreciated after all these years? I'm feeling nostalgic and looking for recommendations for dramas that aired around 2003 or even earlier... These are some of my favorites (even if the fashions were hokey and the cell phones were the size of bricks)... Bokura no Yuki (1997) Virgin Road (1997) Majo no Jouken (1999) Beautiful Life (2000) Ikebukuro West Gate Park (2000) Trick (2000) Hero (2001) Love Revolution (2001) Kisarazu Cat's Eye (2002) Kimi wa Pet (2003) Stand Up!! (2003) Yankee Bokou ni Kaeru (2003) Yoiko no Mikata (2003)
Long Vacation GTO Battle Royale
Meteor Garden 2001 Attic Cat 2003
Strawberry on the shortcake and Long love letter are on your PTW list. imo, they are really worth watching. I would also suggest two short dramas (episodes are short): P.P.O.I (with Yamapi and Aiba in their (almost?) debut), and Tokio (with Sakurai). Tokio is fine but you may need a little time to get interested in the story (three or four episodes maybe). btw, Kisarazu Cat's eyes ' got 2 specials but don't know where to find them, so i don't know if they are worthy or not.
Kimi Wa Petto - 2003 Lovers In Paris - 2004, but is definitely worth watching Meteor Garden - 2001 Wonderful Life - Melodrama. Aired in 2005
Love Generation (1997) The plot is simple but sweet A Sleeping Forest (1998) Ice World (1999) The plot is good and the twist was a bang.. Keizoku (1999) Supernatural Yasha (2000) If has the same plot with Orthros no Inu.. Beautiful Life (2000) By now you can notice that I like Kimura Takuya...But beside Kimura, this drama is really good:) Star no Koi (2001) The plot was like the movie Nothing Hill Satorare (2002) The plot is kinda unique. Pride (2004)
If you guys want to watch a drama that leaves a long impression, or if you want a drama that you live with and that you keep remembering throughout your life (im still remembering it since i watched it first time 6 years ago :p) then you have to watch this one, it SAD! but lovely, amazing, beautiful, OMG OMG OMGish and every possible thing thats nice! lol im not very good with words :D

Sooo what is this amazing drama called?

SAD LOVE STORY!/SAD LOVE SONG!

Trust me, you will love it, repeat it, listen to the sound tracks everyday and think of the cast every day too!
SumiTheCat wrote: Strawberry on the shortcake and Long love letter are on your PTW list. imo, they are really worth watching.
I would also suggest two short dramas (episodes are short): P.P.O.I (with Yamapi and Aiba in their (almost?) debut), and Tokio (with Sakurai). Tokio is fine but you may need a little time to get interested in the story (three or four episodes maybe).
btw, Kisarazu Cat's eyes ' got 2 specials but don't know where to find them, so i don't know if they are worthy or not.

I only just realized someone subbed PPOI! I was looking for it years and years ago, but it was nowhere! I love Johnny's when they were babies!
darkangel662008 wrote: Love Generation (1997) The plot is simple but sweet
A Sleeping Forest (1998)
Ice World (1999) The plot is good and the twist was a bang..
Keizoku (1999) Supernatural
Yasha (2000) If has the same plot with Orthros no Inu..
Beautiful Life (2000) By now you can notice that I like Kimura Takuya...But beside Kimura, this drama is really good:)
Star no Koi (2001) The plot was like the movie Nothing Hill
Satorare (2002) The plot is kinda unique.
Pride (2004)

I have seen a handful of these, but I'll add others to my list. KimuTaku is one of the main reasons '90s/early-'00s dramas are so dear to me.
Taiyou no Kisetsu (2002) I found it to be pretty good. It has a more serious/deep vibe going for it so it's either a hit or miss with most ppl.
neonlibrarian wrote: I have seen a handful of these, but I'll add others to my list. KimuTaku is one of the main reasons '90s/early-'00s dramas are so dear to me.

I loved him too:)
I've just watched Tabloid (1998) and I think is very good,then News no onna (1998) or With love (1998) in the early days of internet,amazing..I really like too watching old dramas,you have to dig the net for sub and raws but most of the time it's a job that worth!
Namida wo Fuite :3 another old drama i'd recommend
My reccs: Iguana no Musume (1996) - a young Kanno Miho in an interesting role Oh Dad!/Oyaji (2000) - lovely family drama Ikebukuro West Gate Park (2000) - hooked me from episode 1 Strawberry on the Shortcake (2001) - loved Kubozuka in this Hito ni Yasashiku/ 3 Peace (2002) - a "coming of age" for 3 best friends when they take in a child Stand Up!! (2003) - drama about friendship and coming of age with tons of comedy : )
I would recommend the Jdrama Glass no Kamen (Glass Mask). It has 2 seasons and aired in the late 90's. It's based off of an older shoujo manga and it was pretty good. :)