Hi, I'm interested in broadening my horizons in the drama world, but I'm hoping that some recommendations will save me some time. So, I'm interested in what dramas you would recommend to others without hesitation? What has been sitting on your "Favorites" list for years? What drama still niggles at the back of your mind regardless of how long it has been since you last saw it? And if possible, I'd like to hear why these dramas or movies have you so enraptured. P.S. Extra brownie points if it's a romantic movie or drama.

Dramas:

Dear My Friends - this drama is kind of emotional drama heavy, but also giving a light breezy vibe. A mature drama about older people and story about life. This was a drama I really wanted to recommend people to watch back in 2016. It made me tear up, care for the characters, and made me reflect life. 

Healer - I would recommend it to people who have been watching dramas for a long time because they will appreciate this drama. The thrilling part about watching this drama was me finding that the current episode was better than the previous episode. It was consistently good. The characters were written with some depth and characterization. Not everything was perfect though, I did have feelings of being bored and being let down while watching the drama. But all forgiven because I seriously love this drama. 

Movies:

Secret (Taiwan) - the movie is kind of simple, but I like it because of the story, mood, and music. Every time I watch it, I just get suck in. 

Nirvana in Fire is my most fav Chinese speaking drama.  It tells a lot about friendship, brotherly bonds, revenge, and sacrifice. It has about 50 eps. I am personally not fond of a long series drama but this drama makes me watch the whole series without skipping anything. The main character also very amazing. He is a very smart, calculative and charismatic man. The plot and the cinematography are also on the top. 

Fated to love you Taiwanese ver. It makes you cry every time. Some episodes are funny and some just sad. It will give you a roller coaster ride but you will enjoy it. 

Goblin - its funny and also heartbreaking. the cinematography is also amazing. My fav moment esp when the main character realizes his first love. His over voice just give you the chills. 

Tunnel - I like crime drama. This drama also inspires by a real-life event of Korean serial murderers. I like the set 80s feel in the drama and the transition when the main character goes time travel. 

for J Drama, I like crime drama like BOSS and Kinkyu Torishirabeshitsu, for two reasons: I like the strong female character, and I am a fan of Amami Yuki

Gou Himetachi - It is about the story of three sisters of Azai clan. This drama is based on Japan history. I learn a lot about Japan and it is entertaining. 

In This Corner of this world - inspired by WW2 stories and the bombing of Hiroshima. It is heartwarming.  It also has an animation movie which is very beautiful and it also won an award. 

• Nirvana in Fire - this would always be my top recommendation in any drama/series in the world. It is not one of my faves, its the ultimate for me. But if you are looking for romance-centered dramas, then this is not it. But if you are open to go out of your comfort zone of romance-centered dramas, watch this, cause this is epic and such a masterpiece. Just brace yourself for the first 3-4 episodes of confusing character and set up introduction.  But after that its all pure epicness and brilliant story, acting and excitement.
  • Healer - action romace drama
  • Signal - thriller investigative drama
  • Misaeng - no romance, human drama genre, office setting
  • 1 liter of tears - with little romance but centered mainly on life, family and human strength
  • Story of minglan - historical romace drama, with strong female lead
  • Kounodori /Dr. Storks - medical drama, no romance
  • Reply 1994 - coming of age drama with romance
  • Padiwarada - romance but be pace yourself for one of the most irritating SFL ever.  Thai dramas just takes evil SFL into some other leve of irritating. 
  • My ahjusshi - human drama

Movies:

• 3 idiots (india) - its one of the most awesomely funny eye-opening film ever. There is romance but that probably is the least focused cause the life lesson in this drama is what matters most
  • Our Times - now this is romance centered and a cute one at that. Coming of age adorable scene and chemistry and narrative
  • A muse / Eungyo - kinda has romance but not really
  • One more chance (philippines) - romance genre of second chance love
  • Miracle of cell no7 - no romance but a great family drama

Korean:

The boundaries between good and evil blurred and I felt so sorry for every single character in this drama. I could not stop watching and I still think of scenes or characters.
https://mydramalist.com/6719-cruel-city

This drama caught me in every facette of my emotion: I laught, cried, got sooo angry and felt happy and sorry for characters.
https://mydramalist.com/5577-gu-family-book

This drama thrilled me. In the beginning it is rather lighthearted and funny. You get to know and to love the characters before the Thriller starts. It was intense.
https://mydramalist.com/3386-king2hearts

The only Rom/Com I love! All couples have a great chemistry. The humor is great and the social problems they deal with give a certain extend of depth to the plot
https://mydramalist.com/3570-a-gentlemans-dignity

Chinese:

A great love story developing through three worlds, three lifes, ten miles of peach blossoms
https://mydramalist.com/16547-eternal-love

Thailand

The Thai Version of Secret (KDrama). I just liked the FL soooo much.
https://mydramalist.com/13865-kleun-cheewit

easily Confessions https://mydramalist.com/721-confessions every living and dead being need to watch this masterpiece.

other are

breathless https://mydramalist.com/1024-breathless-2009 friendship between a thug and highschool girl

little forest https://mydramalist.com/10403-little-forest-summer-autumn  https://mydramalist.com/12575-little-forest-winter-spring most relaxing, mesmerizing, breathtaking view

and momose kocchi wo muite https://mydramalist.com/7796-my-pretend-girlfriend one sided love story, beautiful and sad

Czakhareina:
3 idiots (india) - its one of the most awesomely funny eye-opening dramas ever. There is romance but that probably is the least focused cause the life lesson in this drama is what matters most

and this one too, this is funny yet meaningful movie.

edit: add

• 1 litre of tears - it’s based on a real story. Ikeuchi Aya is a high school student who develops spinocerebellar degeneration a disease that will gradually paralyze her. When real Aya was diagnosed the disease wasn’t that known and they didn’t have many treatments or knowledge about the disease. One of the advices of Aya’s doctor is to write a diary so she can register all the changes she’s feeling. So she starts writing and all her diaries are turn into a book. This drama is based on that book, it tells all the struggles she had to face and also contains many beautiful phrases and poems she herself wrote. The drama also has a subtle but endearing love story that is the only part fictional of the drama and was included because of the wishes of Aya’s mother for her to have had this experience in real life.
    For me this is not a sad drama is more of an inspirational drama, a drama that will certainly leave you thinking about life.
  • I'm sorry I love you - The story is about an orphan named Cha Moo Hyuk. He lives in Australia since he was adopted but then thrown away by his adoptive parents. Despite this Moo Hyuk holds no grudge against his birth mother thinking she lived in such poverty she had to give him for adoption. Because of an incident he ends getting shoot in the head, this leaves him with 3 months to live and decides to go to Korea to search for his mother. In Korea he will find things weren’t as he thought and due to some shocking revelations he turns vengeful towards his mother. So this dramas is about revenge but also has a very touching love story, the plot is very good and there are some twists here and there and more revelations to come.
  • Soratobu Kouhoushitsu - This is a slow burn romance that keeps growing in a very natural way. The main leads are two persons who reached their dreamed job but mid-way due to some circumstances they end up being transferred to other posts. They continue working full of frustrations due to having to let got their dream. One day the FL is assigned to make a report coverage on the Self-defense forces therefore ends up working with ML. Due to this interaction both of them learned about their broken dreams and how they suffer due to similar frustrations. Together they discover a new side of their new jobs they hadn’t seen before and learn to enjoy what they are doing. I think this drama is underrated since I rarely see people commenting about it or recommending it. But it has a very appealing story, not only the OTP’s plotline but also the opportunity one has to discover more about Japan’s Self-defense Force which is a topic hardly ever touched in a drama.
  • The Greatest Love - I love this love story, the ML is such and endearing character and it has also comedy and great characters overall. 
  • Maou - one of my favorite suspense dramas ever! It's a story about revenge but with very well planned strategies on how the ML's revenge is executed. I can say much without spoiling it so please watch it!
  • N no tame ni - it’s about a group of friends that are united due to a double assassination and they hide who the killer is. another greay suspense drama that has you guessing throught the whole show in order to discober who the real culprit is!!
  • Byakuyakou - not your normal drama, this is a very dark drama with romance and really complex characters and situations. 
  • It's okay that's love - This drama is heavily focused on several psychological disorders, the female lead is a psychiatrist who has problems with intimacy due to a shocking truth she found out when she was a teenager. The male lead is a famous writer who is suffering from writer’s block therefore decides to change his living atmosphere in order to get new ideas. But he also carries with a sad past, since his older brother is in jail charged of killing their father.

Our main leads end up living together in the share house where the female lead lives with two other guys. The story is very well written as it’s not only a romance story but also has a mystery plotline going on and there are twists that will definitely surprise you and take you off guard. I think this is a very original story with fascinating characters and great perfomances. This has kind of a weird start but if you pass through that you’ll enjoy it very much.

• Kazoku Game - it’s a psychological drama about a teacher and a family and his strange ways of teaching. Very entertaining and not

• Just Between Lovers - The story focuses on two characters who were victims of the collapse of a mall when they were young. This experience was very traumatic for both of them aside from the fact that each of them also lost a family member. But when they meet each other they finally find a soul that can understand the pain they have been going through all this time. And due to this fateful meeting they become each others' support and provide a really needed healing.One of the strongest points of this drama is the OTP, they have outstanding chemistry and their acting is really touching. But speaking about the acting I think this drama was splendidly cast since all the actors did an excellent job developing their characters’ plotlines. Every side story was well made and served a purpose for the overall plotline.

OMG this list has turned so long and I'm still missing some, but if you find some inteeesting let me know and I can recommend some more. 

I’m a fan of  the underdogs so I would recommend:

• Wait my youth 
  • your highness hall monitor
  • about is love
  • Accidentally in love
  • Attention love 
  • THE BRIGHTEST STAR IN THA SKY (OST AMAZING) 
  • I hear you 
  • master devil do not kiss me 1&2 
  • my amazing boyfriend 1&2 
  • legend of fu yao - one of my absolutely fav. currently watching it for a 2nd time
  • the legends
  • ashes of love
  • love o2o ( series)- kissing scenes suck but its a great series
  • love o2o - movie
  • meteor garden ( the current one on netflix). i have watched it 5 times 
  • well-intended love (netflix) watched it 2 times
  • the eternal love 1/2. I'm not going to lie. loved the bed scenes lol don't judge me
  • strong girl bong-soon
  • accidentally in love - really cute movie
  • protect the boss
  • master's sun
  • the greatest love
  • 1% of something 
  • what's wrong with secretary kim
  • Oh My Venus  - loved loved loved loved it! 
  • secret love (emotional rollercoaster but stick with it) I promise it's worth it.
  • go go squid (kind of reminds me of loveo2o). don't expect a lot of kissing or anything like that but I loved it. I watched each episode with a smile on my face it is that good.
  • weight lifting fairy kim bok joo 
  • boys over flowers - it is similar to meteor garden but meteor garden is so much better. Initially after a few episodes I was like umm this is too dumb but I decided to give it a chance and it is a good series. I will not say I love it but it is good and worth the watch.
  • Listening Snow Tower - definitely slow romance like umm snail slow but it is good.
  • General and I - good show I did get bored in the middle and skipped a few episodes
  • Perfect Couple - not done watching it because i am waiting on rest of english subtitles but it is really really really really good!
  • Attention love

Wheww that is a long list! :-) Happy watching! :-)