I love dramas where the ML is lonely/isolated or lacks self worth/self confidence. I love it when their self worth is slowly built up throughout the drama due to the care and affection of another person (can be a mentor, parent, or FL- doesn't matter), or when they find companionship and rid their feelings of loneliness. My preference is for Chinese or Korean dramas, but other recommendations are welcome.

Some examples:

Loneliness/Isolation-

I'm Sorry, I Love You
(2004)- ML is probably the loneliest character I've ever seen in a drama. He longs for the affection of his mother and has basically no one that cares from him at the start of the drama. He is starving for love and affection.

My Strange Hero (2018) - Technically second male lead, but his loneliness and longing for affection is a pretty major part of the plot. 

Stranger (2017)- ML has a personality disorder that causes his emotions to be muted even though at first we are lead to believe that he has no emotions at all. He is very lonely because he has no friends to care for him.

Thirty But Seventeen (2018) - ML deliberately isolates himself due to a trauma from his childhood. 

Save Me (2017) - one of the MLs is lonely after he is betrayed by his best friend, causing him to go to jail, and then his grandmother dies.  His mom is no longer alive and his dad is a jerk.

The Happy Loner
(2017) - ML is a sweet man who desperately can't be alone, despite the fact that his desperation causes people to distance themselves from him.

Ugly Alert (2013)- ML is a very sweet brother who just wants to be close to his siblings, but they reject him at first due to a misunderstandings, causing him to have no one.

I'm Not a Robot (2017)- ML lonely because he has a disorder that causes him to be allergic to people (that's not a spoiler- the premise of the drama).

Moment at Eighteen (2019)- ML is lonely because he deliberately isolates himself and thinks that's the best way for him to live.  His only friend is killed early on in the drama, causing even more loneliness.  Second ML is also lonely even though he looks like he has the perfect life.

Low self confidence/ self worth.

Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo (2016)- ML suffers from lack of self confidence due to a scar on his safe, and a desperate longing for affection due to the cruelty of his mother

The Best of You in My Mind (2020)- Love love love this drama. ML is a sweet, quiet college boy who lacks self confidence and doubts himself so much that it prevents him from admitting that he likes his crush and poses major challenges to his archery career.   

Just an Encore (2019)- ML too shy to express his affection to FL despite liking her from the very beginning.  Doesn't otherwise fit because ML is otherwise pretty self confident, but I'm a sucker for male leads that are too shy or lack the confidence to confess to the girls they like. 

Reply 1988 (2015)- ML's lack of self confidence causes him to hesitate in expressing his feelings to his long time crush  until it is too late and she has found love elsewhere.

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo
(2016) - doesn't completely fit because ML is otherwise pretty self confident, but ML has a trauma which prevents him from performing well on the swim team.  

although you said ML this one is with a FL she is pretty much what you listed lonely,depressed and lacks self confidence https://mydramalist.com/3700-dear-heaven 

https://mydramalist.com/24351-im-not-a-robot  lonely ML

Try these, though mostly lonely and isolated male characters:

• Beautiful Mind 
  • Just between lovers
  • Kingyo club
  • Bride of the century 
  • Come and Hug Me
  • Find me in Your Memory
  • Because its my first Life
  • Doctor John
  • Snow Queen
  • Rich man Poor Woman
  • Perfect World
  • I dont really recommend bu it fits what you are looking for:
    • Introverted boss 
    • Golden Bride - main reason for not recommending is that this us very long daily drama with ML that has very low self worth

Also check out My Mister, highly highly hjghly recommended. Its not your typical lonely and isolated ML cause he does have a strong connection with friends and colleagues but thwre is that beat of characterization where he is such a lonely sole. Though personally he truly mirrors the people of today, getting by one day at a time. Making the most of some shitty situations as we wade through this thing we call life. 

LouM:

although you said ML this one is with a FL she is pretty much what you listed lonely,depressed and lacks self confidence https://mydramalist.com/3700-dear-heaven 

https://mydramalist.com/24351-im-not-a-robot  lonely ML

Thanks!  I think I edited my response right after your post.  I've seen I'm not a Robot and really enjoyed it.  FLs hit a little too close to home for me unfortunately - I'm weird that way. 

Czakhareina:

Try:

• Beautiful Mind 
  • Just between lovers
  • Kingyo club
  • Bride of the century 
  • Come and Hug Me
  • Find me in Your Memory
  • Because its my first Life
  • Doctor John
  • Snow Queen
  • Rich man Poor Woman
  • Perfect World
  • I dont really recommend bu it fits what you are looking for:
    • Introverted boss 
    • Golden Bride - main reason for not recommending is that this us very long daily drama

Thanks for the long list!  Seen Just Between Lovers, Come and Hug Me, and Because It's My First Life, and loved all of them.  Haven't seen Beautiful Mind but heard that it got cut short so I'm afraid the narrative won't be fully developed.  I'll definitely check out the rest!  

In addition:

• Big Issue | ML stats out homeless and an addict. FL helps her get his life back together (of course, there is a reason for this).
  • Black | ML is a reaper who begins to feel emotions once he possesses a human body.
  • Bloody Romance 
  • Bring It On, Ghost | ML is a loner who starts coming out of his shell when he meets the FL.
  • Chicago Typewriter | same as above.
  • Forest | ML has a trauma (and keeps to himself) that he gets to overcome with the help of the FL.
  • Her Private Life | similar to above.
  • Kill Me, Heal Me | similar to above.
  • Extracurricular | ML is lonely and a bit awkward; FL is charismatic and popular.
  • Goblin | ML is isolated, lonely and a bit awkward before meeting the FL.
  • Hello Monster | ML keeps to himself before meeting the FL.
  • Mask | ML is lonely and emotionally isolated before meeting the FL.
  • My Holo Love | ML is lonely and isolated before meeting the FL.
  • Search: WWW | There are leading ladies in this one. One of them has a romance with a ML who is awkward and lonely.
  • Terius Behind Me | ML was lonely and kept to himself before meeting the FL and her children.
  • The Game: Towards Zero | ML is emotionally isolated before meeting the FL.
  • Tunnel | 2ML is emotionally isolated and keeps to himself before meeting the FL and the ML.
  • Vagabond | ML loses everything and starts to rely emotionally on the FL.

(all k-dramas)

I'm currently watching Dinner Mate which includes those subjects and it's pretty fun to watch tbh. I like it so far.

Radio Romance has a ML who's severely insecure from what happened to him in the past BUT I didn't like it, you might like it though x)

Also Just Between Lovers, the FL and ML went through a traumatic experience in their youths. The ML suffers from loneliness and is out of love. I don't remember what the FL was going through but their chemistry was spot on so it's definitely worth a try :)

In Love With Flaws, again the ML is very insecure about his looks BUT again I didn't really like this one bc there were many things that didn't make any sense to me? Anyway you might like it idk

In The secret life of my secretary, the ML starts to have an insecurity due to an unfortunate accident and only the FL can help him to overcome it which I found very cute. Honestly I really liked this one bc of the cuteness of the couple overall so I think you may like it if you prefer cuteness in dramas.

literaturefinal:

Thanks for the long list!  Seen Just Between Lovers, Come and Hug Me, and Because It's My First Life, and loved all of them.  Haven't seen Beautiful Mind but heard that it got cut short so I'm afraid the narrative won't be fully developed.  I'll definitely check out the rest!  

The ratings was pretty low but personally i think it deserved way more ratings. Though i guess the chemistry was probably a little off, but Jang Hyuk was a pretty great watch, same with Heo JoonHo. Its a drama that definitely delves in to characterization than romance. 

Also recommending Cdramas:

• Better Man
  • Nirvana in Fire

JUGGLERS

FAIRYLAND LOVERS

RADIO ROMANCE 

EVERYONE WANTS TO MEET YOU  

I'll Come to You When The Weather is Fine. The ML is inherently kind and gentle, but is introvert/loner who pushes people away. The drama has him slowly come out of his shell. And oh my goodness,  Seo Kang Joon's eyes!!!

A Poem a Day. The ML has trauma from a past breakup, but slowly opens up because of the FL's kindness and warmth . When he finally smiles, your heart melts.

Okaay so here are my recs!!!

Kdramas :
My Mister
Healer
The K2
Kill It
Goblin
Good Doctor
When the Weather is Fine
Kill Me, Heal Me
Her Private Life
A Beautiful Mind
Falling for Innocence
Cheese In the Trap
Radio Romance
I Remember You
I Hear Your Voice  
The Smile Has Left Your Eyes
Scholar Who Walks the Night
Black

Thai:
Cheewit Puer Kah Huajai Puer Tur
Game Sanaeha
Hua Jai Sila
Raeng Tawan

Chinese:
Eternal Love of Dream
Boss & Me
Bloody Romance
Le Coup de Foudre

Japanese:
Todome no Kiss
Koi wa Tsuzuku yo Doko Made mo
Algernon Ni Hanataba O
Kurosagi

Taiwanese:
Behind Your Smile

I hope you will find something you will love :)!

Definitely the smile has left your eyes

@3GGG thank you so much!  Your list made me realize how many Kdramas I've already watched.  I haven't seen the one Cdrama you recommended (Bloody Romance), but it's now on my To Watch list!

@honey_boo Thanks!  I liked Radio Romance and Just Between lovers.  I really liked Secret Life of My Secretary because both the ML and FL were adorable.  Dinner Mate is now officially on my list.   Love with Flaws- for some reason premise wasn't appealing to me so I didn't pick it up. 

Czakhareina:

The ratings was pretty low but personally i think it deserved way more ratings. Though i guess the chemistry was probably a little off, but Jang Hyuk was a pretty great watch, same with Heo JoonHo. Its a drama that definitely delves in to characterization than romance. 

Also recommending Cdramas:

• Better Man
  • Nirvana in Fire

Yeah I know some people were super angry with the way it turned out because it had so much potential and was underrated.  I might check it out.  And thanks for the further recommendations.  Heard great things about Nirvana in Fire.  Haven't heard of Better Man at all, but I'm going to ready the synopsis!