I have never watched a Japanese drama before and want to try it for the first time - preferably a rom-com series. Anyway, I have no idea about them so I am open to dramas with any genre which is worth watching.  

Japanese shows are somehow more crazy (or at least those I watched) :)

• Ashi Girl - FL time travels to sengoku era (fantasy/scifi/historical/romcom)
  • Attention Please - Wacky FL wants to become cabin attendant (it is comedy with light romance)
  • Good Luck!! - this is my favourite. ML is co-pilot and wants to become captain, FL is airplane mechanic. It is nice slice-of-life romcom.
  • GTO - older (1998), but very good. ML is former gang leader and becomes teacher of the most problematic class. (good action comedy, light romance)
  • Limit - school drama about survival (psychological)
  • Lupin no Musume - Romcom, where FL is from a family of thieves and ML's family are police officers. It is a mix of Romeo & Juliet, Mission Impossible and other action shows. :)
  • Boku Dake ga Inai Machi - thriller, time travel, suspense, mystery

Some other romcoms that should be good, but I have not seen or not finished them yet:

kardasx:

Japanese shows are somehow more crazy (or at least those I watched) :)

• Ashi Girl - FL time travels to sengoku era (fantasy/scifi/historical/romcom)
  • Attention Please - Wacky FL wants to become cabin attendant (it is comedy with light romance)
  • Good Luck!! - this is my favourite. ML is co-pilot and wants to become captain, FL is airplane mechanic. It is nice slice-of-life romcom.
  • GTO - older (1998), but very good. ML is former gang leader and becomes teacher of the most problematic class. (good action comedy, light romance)
  • Limit - school drama about survival (psychological)
  • Lupin no Musume - Romcom, where FL is from a family of thieves and ML's family are police officers. It is a mix of Romeo & Juliet, Mission Impossible and other action shows. :)
  • Boku Dake ga Inai Machi - thriller, time travel, suspense, mystery

Some other romcoms that should be good, but I have not seen or not finished them yet:

Thanks! I'll try "Lupin no Musume" first...seems interesting.

You're welcome. If you like that, it has also second season.

Nodame Cantabile (music, comedy, romance) - It's about two students in a music school.

GTO (1998) (comedy, school) - It's about a former gang leader who becomes a teacher.

Long Vacation (romance) - Minami's fiance runs away on her wedding day, so she moves in with her fiance's roommate.

1 Litre of Tears (terminal illness, romance) - It's about a 15-year-old girl with a terminal illness.  This is the highest rated J-drama on MDL.

All of these are widely regarded as classics, so I think you can't go wrong with any of them.

Some I would highly recommend: 

daydreaming:

Some I would highly recommend: 

Thanks!

A couple rom coms that haven't been mentioned ...

Koi wa Tsuzuku yo Doko Made mo

Last Cinderella

Not a romcom, but a romance drama I really liked ...

Tatta Hitotsu no Koi

ROMANCE

• Hana yori dango – it’s a must see it’s the classical Cinderella story but one of the bests ever done (2 seasons and 1 movie) 
  • Buzzer Beat – good romance drama about 2 people that meet and fall in love but first they have to find the perfect timing for them to be together 
  • Love Shuffle – it’s a story involving 4 couples and how they learn what love is
  • Pride – a classic romance drama with a mature couple who grow and learn from each other and also heal each others wounds
  • Tatta Hitotsu no koi – a very good romance and it’s a Cinderella story but inverse (rich girl, poor boy)
  • Hotaru no Hikari – this has 2 seasons and a movie, and it’s a bout a couple that has to live together due to some circumstances and gradually fall in love
  • We married as a job - As mentioned before this one is compared to Because this is my first life. I liked both of them but I'll have to say I liked better how they managed the "contract relationship" at the final episodes here. 
  • Koi wa tsuzuku yo doko made mo
  • Soratobu Kouhoushitsu - I like this one, because is also about 2 persons who had their dreams broken about their ideal jobs but with the help of each other discover a new passion in life. 
  • Kahogo no Kahoko - This one is pretty sweet and lighthearted, the OTP is very cute and it centers alot on family.
  • Boku unmei no hito desu - This one is also pretty lighthearted, the male lead is very sweet and kind and it's totally focused on romance.

DRAMA

• Byakuyako – this is a very intense drama about 2 people that met since childhood and develop a strange relationship in which both of them are united by a serious of crimes
    Koizora
  • Taiyou no kisetsu – a romance drama but with melo in it
  • Soredemo, ikite yuku – this drama is also very heavy and it’s about a man whose sister is killed and the the killer’s sister who meets and falls in love with that man
  • Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo sakebu – kind of like Koizora and 1 liter of tears

COMEDY

• Atashinchi no Danshi - 
  • Hanazakari no Kimitachi e – reverse harem a girl crossdressing and living in a boys shcool
  • Ouran High school host club – reverse harem a girl crossdressing so she can be part of the school’s host club
  • Mei-chan no shitsuji
  • My Boss, my hero – this drama is hilarious and it’s about a yakuza that has to go back to highschool in order to get his high school diploma, but he has to keep his yakuza status a secret

SLICE OF LIFE

• Nodame Cantabile – very good drama with romance an music it has 1 season, 2 specials and 2 movies
  • My girl – it’s a drama of a man that suddenly finds out he has a daughter and has to live wit her.
  • GTO – If you liked Dragon Zakura you’ll like this one and the following one (Gokusen) It’s about teachers and troublesome students 
  • Gokusen
  • Dragon Zakura
  • Aogeba Toutoshi
  • Ore no hanashi wa nagai
  • Uchi no musume wa kareshi ga dekinai

SUSPENSE ( japanese suspense dramas are very good, do try them, this dramas are 10, 9 and 9.5 for me)

• Maou – the best suspense drama ever!
    The quiz show 2 – it’s about a Quiz show were they ask the contestants very personal questions in order to reveal their deepest secrets
  • N no tame ni – it’s about a group of friends that are united due to a double assassination and they hide who the killer is  
  • Ryusei no Kizuna – a revenge drama about 3 siblings who look for the killer of their parents before the statute of limitations ends
  • Liar Game – it’s about a game that involves lying a deception in order to win
  • Kazoku game – it’s a psychological drama about a teacher and a family and his strange ways of teaching
  • Kurosagi – it’s about a swindler who targets swindlers due to his personal vendetta
  • Todome no kiss - it also has romance

SPORTS

• H2 – baseball and romance united in a story about highschool life
  • Tumbling – a group of boys who bond through tumbling and find a dream to follow
  • Yowakutemo Katemasu – a different kind of underdog drama about a baseball team who challenges winning a baseball game with new strategies involving their weakness
  • Rookies