Haven't you ever wanted to just take a mini questionnaire to find a drama that'll match you in the moment? If so, you may be like me; someone who spends hours looking for a new drama to watch that is not only interesting, but one where you're rest assured that it'll align with, well, you. 

I would like to suggest drama recommendations, brought to you straight from MyDramaList, via "20-questions". A lot of, lets say, 200 generic questions geared toward genre, trope, country, rating, and age (ie: was it made in 2005 or 2015?) to ensure that you never encounter the exact same set of questions each time. After answering the questions, you could generate a drama title listed on the site that may align with 2 or more categories you showed the most interest in, based off of the answers given. 

It's a hassle to search for and ask people questions about a "good drama" when you could just be handed a title straight from the database.

-"But doesn't MyDramaList' search and filter feature suffice?" 

No. It doesn't. Because not only are the results mildly inaccurate, but you're also given a list. My goal is to eliminate the list by being handed a single title. 

-"What if the title given to you in the end, ends up not interesting you? Will you have to do the whole questionnaire process again?"

Sure, it could be tie consuming to do a whole other set of 20 questions. Which is why the option to be able to see the "runner-up's" or let say, three other titles that also came extremely close as a result. This could be added through a button under the initial title result (ex: "See More").

MyDramaList is an excellent database for dramas and I love the number of titles, genres, and tropes I can find here. But, it's the sheer number of titles to look through, especially as a veteran viewer who has to scroll far down to find new titles, can be intimidating. This is my first suggestion I've written and this forum seems to be a bit confusing for me so I apologize if this happens to be a duplicate. This could be a miniscule idea among all of these (very) important ones, but I thought I'd share it nonetheless...

0votes
 litravn:
No. It doesn't. Because not only are the results mildly inaccurate, but you're also given a list. My goal is to eliminate the list by being handed a single title. 

I don't understand why this matters.  If you want a single title, then just pick whatever drama is at the top of the list.

What kind of questions do you want to be asked?   We already have a lot of filtering options.

mjf314:

I don't understand why this matters.  If you want a single title, then just pick whatever drama is at the top of the list.

What kind of questions do you want to be asked?   We already have a lot of filtering options.

Because in most cases not only is it already on your watch list or already been completed, but also it usually doesn't even match what you were really looking for. as for what questions to be asked, I mean questions such as, in the context of the romance genre, "Do you enjoy a fluff piece, or an action packed romance with many bumps in the road?". These small questions could seriously narrow down a lot of titles you'd normally see listed in a normal "Romance" genre search. This suggestion is meant to bring much more personalized suggestions in a fun and concise way from such a large and ever-growing database.

litravn:
Because in most cases not only is it already on your watch list or already been completed

An option to filter by watchlist status would be useful.  I think people have requested it before.  I'm not sure why it hasn't been implemented.

litravn:
"Do you enjoy a fluff piece, or an action packed romance with many bumps in the road?". These small questions could seriously narrow down a lot of titles you'd normally see listed in a normal "Romance" genre search.

If you know what type of drama you want to watch, you can filter by tag.  There are already tags for "fluffy", "action", and "romance".

If you don't know what you want to watch, then I think what you want is a flowchart.  You don't need MDL for that.  You just need a person who's very knowledgeable about dramas AND willing to spend the time to create the chart (and the chart can just be an image).

I've seen some good anime flowcharts, like these:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/n0fi1z/the_ultimate_anime_recommendation_flowchart_2021/

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/o16ipm/rebuild_of_the_ultimate_anime_recommendation/

I'm not sure if anyone has ever made a drama flowchart.  I tried to google it but I couldn't find any.