@tellymm
I'm confused as to how the 2022 scene from Jo Yeong laptop comes into play with the ending? I dont think the drama addressed it?

The 2022-05-27 video on Jo Yeong's laptop turned out to happen during the birthday of Luna (Seo-gyeong) in Episode 16. I'm also wondering why it appeared in Jo Yeong's laptop in Episode 9. Probably to show that supernatural forces already knew if LG continued his pursuit of Lee Lim, that scene in 2022-05-27 would unfold?  Or maybe to lead him to look for a bookstore?

@stargoesboom
Why is it that this time, instead of young Lee Gon splitting the flute in half, one of Lee Lim's guards came forward to execute young Lee Gon? That's why the flute didn't get cut in half.
I am rewatching episode 1's treason scene and comparing it with episode 16's, and I can't see how or why that changed so drastically. It's very important to explain this because that's the catalyst for everything being different in the finale.

In Episode 1, with only Lee Gon stopping the treason, he tried to rescue his young self thus was not able to capture Lee Lim. This enabled the latter to escape to Korea and cause all the turmoil in both worlds. In Episode 16, Lee Gon's main purpose was to prevent the Manpasikjeok from getting broken and stop Lee Lim from having it. Jo Yeong went to rescue the young Lee Gon.

I know that, but why is it this time, the child Lee Gon did NOT cut the flute in half when the previous 2 times it happened, he did cut it in two (in both episode 1 and episode 14).

Why does Jo Yeong also coming back result in that massive change? 

@vanesnatalia
how does this whole time travel work? like if future lee gon goes back in time to save his younger self that means that he previously died(?) which means that he wouldnt have been able to grow up into the future lee gon. also whats the meaning of the photos and other things in that space where time slows?

The young Lee Gon  in episodes 1 and 14 did not die; he grew up to be the savior LG in episodes 14 and 16.

Regarding the photos and balloons, it seems the photos were Lee Lim's markers of probably the many times he had been in the gate.  The balloons were probably Lee Gon's markers, or just pieces he used for experiment, to find out more about the gate.

@Ikramzin
I really didn't like the ending. I mean are they going to be jumping from time to time their whole like, he is a king, he need a heir, and stability. I don't like it.

Lee Gon had always been an adventurer, for example leaving the kingdom to see the ice cap and  wanting to run away, as Prince Buyeong and Lady Noh discussed in Episode 2. Going to Korea was also an adventure for him.

I like to think that eventually, he will learn to harness the power of the Manpasikjeok better to allow him and Tae-eul to get married and rule together. Regardless, he is having the time of his life, not just for the possibly 60 or so remaining years of his reign, but for eternity. I guess having seen eternity, he realized how insignificant being a king for 60 or so more years was. Eventually, in a few thousand years, nobody would even remember his reign, but he and Tae-eul would still be gallivanting across time and space together :)

@stargoesboom
I know that, but why is it this time, the child Lee Gon did NOT cut the flute in half when the previous 2 times it happened, he did cut it in two (in both episode 1 and episode 14).

Ahh, I see what you mean. In episode 1, young Lee Gon immediately cut the flute as soon as he held the sword and screamed, "I will try". In episode 16, after young LG screamd, "I will try", he held back. Perhaps the flute held him back because it knew LG, with Jo Yeong's help, can stop Lee Lim from having it whole. Remember, young LG was moved to go to Cheonjongo by the sound of the flute. Perhaps the flute allowed young LG to cut it in half in episode 1 rather than have Lee Lim have the whole piece. At that time, it seemed the savior LG was not aware of the calamity Lee Lim would inflict on the parallel worlds so he was more concerned about keeping young LG alive than pursuing Lee Lim.

All what I can say,.. am happy with The Happy ending..  Thanks for all the thoughts.. ??

Me too, I'm satisfied with the ending :) I would have wanted it to take another direction, but the ending is full of possibilities... I will just imagine LG and TE will be able to change the past so Shin-jae and Luna will end up in Korea and Tae-eul in Corea so she can become queen :)

Thanks, everyone, it was fun discussing TKEM with you all!

Anatomically speaking Maximus is a gelding. The show starts off referring to him as a male (I think), then keeps saying female. Na Ri's cafe sign says "She", Tae Eul mentions Lady Maximus... Did the translators get it wrong?

Btw, re the lightening scars: I think those who have them do so because their doppelgangers are dead by unnatural means. Lee Gon didn't murder his (Lee Lim killed him 28 years prior to Lee Gon travelling between) and he has it.

I agree about the blatant advertising. REALLY spoiled things for me. Still love the show and go back and rewatch. I see advertising in other shows but it is a wee bit more subtle and so less intrusive. Most of what is being advertised is either unhealthy or something I wouldn't let get close to me. I do laugh at the obvious references to LMH's Minomi lion figures. It is possible to buy them from his website.

Who is this YoYo guy?

How did Yeong in 2020 get hold of the CCTV footage from 2022? In front of the book store where the yoyo guy looks straight into the camera

Why does prime minister Koo ask her mom to say she ate some specific thing for dinner and why did she cry when her mom told otherwise?

In the first episode just before Lee gon meets jeong tae eul for the first time, why does she get a glimpse of Luna in the car back seat ?

How is Lee min ho able to travel to the night of treason as many times and whenever he wants? First time him and Lee rim both travelled but second time Lee min ho alone travelled, how ?

When Lee min ho travelled back second time he saved his younger self and he killed Lee rim and took the whole flute. So now the younger self doesn't have the flute? So he will not have flute and so he will not cross the universe and he will not meet tae ul? Or is the younger self and older Lee gon who saved himself same?

The kid with the YoYo is the human embodiment of the bamboo flute 'Manpasikjeok'.

Not sure yet.

PM Koo's question to her mother was like a secret question that if Mum answered differently than then she would know her Mum was in trouble. Hence her crying when she heard the answer.

That happens twice early on in the series. I am guessing it has something to do with their original/first time crossing b/w the two worlds.

The Manpasikjoek is a magical flute. It can time travel only when it is whole, that is why both Yi Gon and Yi Rim go back at the same time as their respective halves are roughly in the same place at the same time (the land b/w the worlds). The next time Yi Gon goes back it is either because he has the complete flute or b/c Tae Eul has Yi Rim, who is holding is half, at gunpoint in the land b/w the worlds.

I cannot remember the details so I cannot answer to this bit. From reading/watching other time travel thus world changing books/shows, those doing the time travel are at the centre of the storm, so to speak. The world changes around them so they will remember what happened. Tae Eul, after Yi Gon goes back the first time, remembers what happens in both timelines, both the first time round as well as the second. I am guessing it happened the third time as well. Tae Eul was in the land b/w worlds while the Yi Gon goes back the second time (creating the third timeline) so she retained the memory of both. Somehow all three timelines merge to that point and those two characters. For similar (yet very different) examples of this at work see Doctor Who (2005 series) Series 1, Ep. 8 Father's Day, Series 5, Ep. 12 (The Pandorica Opens) & 13 (The Big Bang), Until Forever, a novel by Johanna Lindsey.

Feel free to correct me where I am wrong.

stargoesboom:

Great question!

The answer is actually simple, the show hinted that something already changed. Lee Gon monologue it, if I remember correctly it was something like this: "something already changed, when did it happen".

There is a common fictional sub-trope in time travel … "balance". The flute/kid also mentioned about "restoring the balance", Jeong Tae Eul also reliased about the "balance" before it role of the kid was revealed.

In time travel, when a person goes back in time (or travel into a parallel universe), the "balance" is disturbed. Something or someone who isn't supposed to be there is wreaking havoc to nature. Since Lee Gon was starting to be sensitive to spacetime (one word), he also started to be aware that "something already changed" and he can not pinpoint what and when it happened.

I'm not sure if the show showed which "event" changed everything but it doesn't matter, the monologue was more than good enough to establish the next scenes that followed: the major change in the bodyguard's decision to point his gun to the kid before he had a chance to slice the flute in half.

kranju:

Who is this YoYo guy?

How did Yeong in 2020 get hold of the CCTV footage from 2022? In front of the book store where the yoyo guy looks straight into the camera

Why does prime minister Koo ask her mom to say she ate some specific thing for dinner and why did she cry when her mom told otherwise?

In the first episode just before Lee gon meets jeong tae eul for the first time, why does she get a glimpse of Luna in the car back seat ?

How is Lee min ho able to travel to the night of treason as many times and whenever he wants? First time him and Lee rim both travelled but second time Lee min ho alone travelled, how ?

When Lee min ho travelled back second time he saved his younger self and he killed Lee rim and took the whole flute. So now the younger self doesn't have the flute? So he will not have flute and so he will not cross the universe and he will not meet tae ul? Or is the younger self and older Lee gon who saved himself same?

1. Yoyo kid/guy - the personification of the flute

2. CCTV - that was not answered by the series; and there were no clues at all. The only thing that was very plausible was the "Yoyo kid" put it there for Yi Gon to see to get him into action. There is a "literary" reason too: they cut the scenes explaining it; or they changed their mind about that particular plot.

3. The Prime Minister was already aware that Yi Rin is replacing people. She was afraid he will replace her mother. So when Yi Rin did replace her mother, the replacement had no idea they established some "code" and the Prime Minister was devastated when she discovered it later. --- I was actually dumbfounded why Yi Gon and Jeong Tae Eul did not establish a code system, them being king and police detective, it should've been second nature to them right after they found out about the existence of Luna.

4. Glimpse in the backseat. It is a trope in parallel world stories: you somehow gets a glimpse of the other you in another parallel world. It could be through mirrors, it could be through dreams, or it could even be while awake, walking under a sunny day, and you had that 3 seconds "shift" or "window".

5. Time travel is only possible when the flute is whole or together "in the world between universes" (a trope). He was able to travel alone the second time because his uncle was also "in the world between universes" but with a gun pointed to him by Jeong Tae Eul so he was not able to travel.

6. Good question! If I remember correctly he did not take the whole flute. After he "beheaded" his uncle he looked at the flute he has and it was slowly eroding. He rushed back to save Jo Young and went back to their own time. Then we can assume that the half flute disappeared and he went to the palace and found the whole flute.

vanesnatalia:

how does this whole time travel work? like if future lee gon goes back in time to save his younger self that means that he previously died(?) which means that he wouldnt have been able to grow up into the future lee gon. also whats the meaning of the photos and other things in that space where time slows?

In this show, the writer chose to keep one single timeline. By doing so, there's a need to solve the "grandfather paradox". One way of solving it, and the easiest yet most confusing, is by keeping in mind that "time is both linear and non-linear" or to put it another way, "time is relative".

In episode 1, that Yi Gon was the same Yi Gon we saw traveled in the past. There is no reality where he died (otherwise he can not ever save himself and his uncle will have the full power of the flute).

The episode 1 Yi Go later placed the bunny coat where Luna found it. He also met the younger Jeong Tae Eul, and so on. This is what we later witnessed in episodes 2 and onwards, from the vantage point of the other characters.

Later, Yi Go figured out how to travel back in time and did exactly what he was suppose to do -- he checked his younger self's pulse so his younger self will pull Jeong Tae Eul's ID, he left the bunny coat, met Jeong Tae Eul multiple times, etc.

The question is, why Jeong Tae Eul and Jo Young did not remember it from episodes 1 to 13/14? That's where the "time is both linear and non-linear" or "time is relative" comes in.

Since the "present" time is centered on Yi Gon the kid (episode 1), all the other characters will not remember anything that was _yet_ to happen in the future. The time traveler who changed things was that Yi Gon. Both Jeong Tae Eul and Jo Young only remembered _after_ Yi Gon actually did it.

This was repeatedly hinted through Jeong Tae Eul. Every single time the "present" Yi Gon did something in the past was the exact time Jeong Tae Eul "remembered" or received a "new memory". This was firmly established as the case in the phone booth scene where "present" Yi Gon scribbled on the phone booth and "present" Jeong Tae Eul literally saw with her own eyes his scribble appearing by itself.

That scene was possible because they're both the "present" version of their characters. Again, "time is linear" or "time is relative" and we are following the "time" of "Yi Gon" because he's the only surviving time traveler at this point.

I also have one question. Why did Jung Tae Eul point Jo Youngs gun against Lee Gon and asking over again if it is real? As working for the police she should know better how to handle firearms. In general it made absolutely no sense to me. Why did she do that?