Xien_Rue:
And after long years, Charles still married Camilla in the end. It showed you he is actually loyal in love, just not toward Diana. It always has been Camilla from the beginning.

Yep, just like Chengyu, it's been Mingyu from the beginning, despite she's married with a child, just like Camilla does.

ChineseDramaFan:
It also makes one wonders: did Chengrui commit the first mistake by forcing his little son to be the emperor?

Qi Yuan is his only choice if he want to ensure the continuation of his dynasty. No one of his sons actually could measured up to Cheng Xu (including himself actually if he was to be honest with himself). He counted on Cheng Xu affection toward Ming Yu so that he will be forced to support Qi Yuan ascend. It was a very dirty trick. 

I felt that deep down Ming Yu was overjoyed that his son would be an emperor. Because she was not that resisting toward the idea. She even never thought to collude with Cheng Xu on how to get Qi Yuan out from the predicament. 

Actually she was not realistic at all. She dangled the reagent position to Cheng Xu. But she must knew that Cheng Xu could not be reagent forever. After that, what? Did she hope that by the time Cheng Xu must give back the authority to the emperor, he already ready to let go of everything? If yes, then she was so evil. She will used up Cheng Xu and throw him away when it is time.

ChineseDramaFan:

Yep, just like Chengyu, it's been Mingyu from the beginning, despite she's married with a child, just like Camilla does.

Unfortunately, Ming Yu is unlike Camilla.

Xien_Rue:

Unfortunately, Ming Yu is unlike Camilla. 

No, of course they are not the same. Had Mingyu been just slightly similar to Camilla, perhaps our poor Chengxu doesn't have to suffer this much, and perhaps it would have been a HEA.

Xien_Rue:
Qi Yuan is his only choice

You're right. Qiyuan was his only choice when Chengrui was considering his options. Under this scenario, I really can't think of the best way to make Qiyuan into a better person. Too harsh, he becomes a person with low self-esteem. Too lenient, he becomes a spoiled brat. It's hard to strike a balance when he's also the emperor and he knows he can get away from anything.

https://k.sina.com.cn/article_2877436004_mab82306403300vkuk.html?cre=tianyi&mod=pcpager_news&loc=34&r=9&rfunc=48&tj=none&tr=9
(video) Cheng Yi, on 10/18 presenting the drama ( Meng Xing Chang An (2021))  the Mango Tv event (which bought the broadcast rights).

P.S:
I think they purposely made this character a little bit like Si Feng's style.

and first trailer :
https://k.sina.com.cn/article_1406387602_m53d3c59203300pzmo.html?cre=tianyi&mod=pcpager_news&loc=16&r=9&rfunc=48&tj=none&tr=9)

In mango tv:

Cheng Yi recommended "Dream Awakening Chang'an" at the Mango TV "Youth New Mango Tasting"
@成毅: I just came from Shanghai and returned to my hometown. In the play, Li Yan is a person who is cold-faced and ruthless on the surface, but is in fact a person who values affection, justice and tolerance. The role is very challenging. A lot of hard work has been put into this drama before and behind the scenes. I hope everyone will watch it.

ChineseDramaFan:

You're right. Qiyuan was his only choice when Chengrui was considering his options. Under this scenario, I really can't think of the best way to make Qiyuan into a better person. Too harsh, he becomes a person with low self-esteem. Too lenient, he becomes a spoiled brat. It's hard to strike a balance when he's also the emperor and he knows he can get away from anything.

If chengrui really cared about his family’s legacy, he would not have named qiyuan the emperor.  If he was gonna name one of the kids emperor, it should have been the the other son (Chengxu’s wife’s aunt’s son).  They all acknowledged he was most like chengrui.  He would have his older brother’s support too.  As for the empress dowager or whatever that title is, The aunt and Mingyu cancel each other out, they’re both selfish and make stupid decisions.  One isn’t drastically better than the other.  The other son as emperor would have been fine or better than qiyuan.  I haven’t watched past 38...do we get to see much of the brother that is the same age as qiyuan?

Xien_Rue:

Eh? As I see from trailer of episode 49&50, Cheng Xu will indeed die in war. I guess because protecting the bratty emperor. Because at the end of episode 48, something bad happen in Cheng Xu and Ming Yu absent. Bet the bratty emperor thought it would be a good idea to charge to war himself. Well, Qi Han is gone. Cheng Xuan also gone. He also drove out Cheng Xu (in a way). Serves him right. 

And Ming Yu had the gall to ask Cheng Xu to give Qi Yuan military power. A green boy want to be able to command soldier?! The most she should do is asking Cheng Xu to train Qi Yuan in military means. But her son disliked studying. And he despised Cheng Xu. She might as well give up in that area, lest her son put the country in jeopardy. 

Why the hell is that witch telling Chengxu to give up military power and hand it over to her Glaringly incompetent son?  You’re asking the most esteemed war general in history to give up military power for your punk ass son?  How stupid and selfish.  

WandereR:

Wow, really intense strong emotions here by everyone lol

This drama has succeeded in evoking the dark side in all of us.  It's up there in the list of top dramas with frustrating outcomes.  Probably the original intention of the producers was to glorify the FL as the central showpiece on the pedestal, and everyone else including the tragic ML were just peripheral to her life story.  Poor lovesick fool who was just a sideshow to the majestic biopic of the Empress of [insert name] Kingdom.

Then L&R happened and Cheng Yi became immortalised.  They ended up enraging the fans.  

Makes you wonder if this show was released first, would we all be celebrating the glory of Ming Yu... :/

I only saw 30 min of love and redemption, that’s it.  Didn’t care for Chengyi until this drama.  

Mingyu is the weakest empress mom I’ve seen.  The empress moms I’ve seen On other dramas were honest with what they wanted.  They knew they were straight up biatches that got stuff done.  Mingyu Pretends to be empathetic, kind, devoted and above the fray.  She is lying to herself about who she really is.  

I love all the comments here.  I Appreciate everyone’s thoughts on this drama!!!!!!

I prefer empress in legend of phoenix the FL char was way more better than MY , although they in same situation 

Dave:

I prefer empress in legend of phoenix the FL char was way more better than MY , although they in same situation 

Me too.

I am in ep38 and now y'all make me wanna stop watching the rest, 

eliteles1:
The Northern Wind Knows My Feelings (which says it will be released later this month, meaning it will start shooting later this month, with the same director of Love and Redemption (Liu Xuey Yi will be the second male protagonist, will be the elder brother of Cheng Yi).

I see, let's hope our Cheng Yi's character fares better than the one in TPoC

LoveSiYehan:

I see, let's hope our Cheng Yi's character fares better than the one in TPoC

I think there will be a happy ending. But ... he will have to suffer before that.