If we are talking about popularity, or how memorable it will be, I guess we'll find out in a few years. Boys Over Flowers, even if this is a toxic relationship, it was still a gateway drama for a lot of people. It remained popular until 2016 dramas came out.  Just look at the most popular shows on mdl, the top dramas are 2016 dramas, they are the most recommended shows especially to new viewers.

For me, I like melodramas, like Goblin and now QOT, but these are one time watch. Rom Coms on the other hand are comfort dramas. Rewatch value is high. So, I'd pick LR over QOT.

LOVELY RUNNER!!!!!!!!!

THE LEADS CHEMISTRY AND THE CUTE, FUNNY SCENES WAS SO GOOD TILL THEY HAD ME FEELING HAPPY FOR THE ENTIRE TIME IT AIRED! QUEEN OF TEARS WAS THE ONLY DRAMA THAT MADE ME ANGRY FOR LIKE AN ENTIRE WEEK lol. LR  plot was Better than QOT tbh because it is not all that complicated and slow, QOT was just repeating its twists for the entire time which made to very slow and draggy, but QOT was good too, but LR just caught my eyes even when I only took a glimpse of it, I started watching QOT cos I had nothing to watch lol and it was all the hype and I didn’t know why.

CarrieHo:

Queen of Tears is especially good because it talks about a married couple who has forgotten their love at the very beginning.. which is a very good reminder for many married couples. The drama sends a very good message to the audience.

Its just my opinion but I don’t think all those villain things would have happened for a real married couple?

melsaidd:

Lovely Runner is number one for me, although I am a bit biased because I was excited for the show because I love Kim Hyeyoon and Byeon Wooseok.

I only watched Queen of Tears because of the hype and honestly it was just what I expected it to be lol typical kdrama but I do have to say the actors and cinematography are top notch so it was good to watch but I did skip through a lot of episodes. But LR had me on the edge of my seat squealing, crying and laughing. It was soooo good, I don't think there would ever be a drama as good as this one 

AND Byeon Wooseok singing the OST was icing on the cake 

its definitely was icing on the cake?

melsaidd:

Lovely Runner is number one for me, although I am a bit biased because I was excited for the show because I love Kim Hyeyoon and Byeon Wooseok.

I only watched Queen of Tears because of the hype and honestly it was just what I expected it to be lol typical kdrama but I do have to say the actors and cinematography are top notch so it was good to watch but I did skip through a lot of episodes. But LR had me on the edge of my seat squealing, crying and laughing. It was soooo good, I don't think there would ever be a drama as good as this one 

AND Byeon Wooseok singing the OST was icing on the cake 

I agree so much

Posting this question in MDL, and what answer do you expect?

But for me, Queen of Tears, by far.

As usual, MDL does not reflect real life.    In MDL:

• LR 9.2 #2
  • QoT 8.8 #58

In real life: 

• LR 5.8% 1.66 million (does not rank)
  • QoT 24.9% 6.4 million (#3 all time %; #2 all time viewship)

basically no comparison.

Except those figures do not include the worldwide audience such as myself (USA) who also use MDL nor OTT streaming figures, as reported elsewhere on MDL:

https://mydramalist.com/article/queen-of-tears-marry-my-husband-lovely-runner-reign-as-most-popular-k-dramas-of-2024-so-far

This article helps to answer the figures for these shows when including all the figures included in their popularity.  ?

BreadLady:

Except those figures do not include the worldwide audience such as myself (USA) who also use MDL nor OTT streaming figures, as reported elsewhere on MDL:

https://mydramalist.com/article/queen-of-tears-marry-my-husband-lovely-runner-reign-as-most-popular-k-dramas-of-2024-so-far

This article helps to answer the figures for these shows when including all the figures included in their popularity.  ?

Unfortunately, it doesn't. 

When there is no official viewership numbers from TVING and Viki, the article is meaningless, everything is just guess work.  "Record breaking" numbers? How many?  "Largely contributed by Lovely Runner"? What's the proportion?  All those talks about TVING's daily average users numbers and Viki's ranking do not mean anything without Lovely Runners' viewership numbers.  

We can only go by what official numbers we have available.  

“According to the big data analysis platform Mobile Index, on May 28, TVING recorded a total usage time of 2,500,010 hours, making it the top OTT service with the most viewed hours in South Korea. This was 91,831 hours more than Netflix Korea's 2,408,179 hours.”

I don’t understand. This info was about LR. Aren’t these real viewership numbers from tvN and confirmed by data?

This is saying that the number of people who watched the end of LR broke tvN’s record by, for the first time,  surpassed Netflix for number of viewers. 

nosnoop:

Unfortunately, it doesn't. 

When there is no official viewership numbers from TVING and Viki, the article is meaningless, everything is just guess work.  "Record breaking" numbers? How many?  "Largely contributed by Lovely Runner"? What's the proportion?  All those talks about TVING's daily average users numbers and Viki's ranking do not mean anything without Lovely Runners' viewership numbers.  

We can only go by what official numbers we have available.  

So...after the above reply,  I looked to see if there were any reports that proved or disproved the 9.1 rating for Lovely Runner, vs. the 8.8 rating for Queen of Tears.

GoodData's Fundex report compared the two across all online and streaming data and found what is shown on pages 5, 7 &  12, where, other than articles written and online searches (mostly likely driven by articles written), Lovely Runner is in first place in all areas measured, reflecting data which supports the MDL ratings.

Where it doesn't is the domestic viewership percentages with QoT - 21.83% and LR - 16.60%.

However, when bringing the worldwide audience into the picture, LR takes top spot.

Therefore, it looks like is the MDL ratings for these two shows are accurate from data collected across all areas measured.

I hope that's helpful.

https://racoi.s3.ap-northeast-2.amazonaws.com/FUNdex_Report_Korea_%23486_June_week_1_2024.pdf

GoodData Fundex report is their own analysis, using their own method and algorithm, trying to make some data up when no official numbers are available.   As with any 3rd party reports, it can be very inaccurate.   A good example is FlixPatrol, which is also a 3rd party analysis, attempting to rank drama when official numbers are not available.  FlixPatrol numbers are widely quoted in MDL and Soompi articles.   But when Netflix started  releasing official actual viewership numbers, it showed how inaccurate FlixPatrol analysis was, sometimes wildly off.

GoodData's Buzzworth maybe interesting in showing the trend, but is definitely biased towards the younger audience.   Lovely Runner has a younger demographics, and not surprisingly, Buzzworth would be biased towards a youth drama, as older audience do not use social media as much as younger adults/teenagers.  So LR having a higher Buzzworth or their "FUNdex" just reflects the audience age rather than actual overall popularity.

Netflix has a global subscribers of over 270 million vs Viki's 74 million.   The global exposure of Queen of Tears is vastly higher than Lovely Runner.   There is no comparison here.

Based on official numbers, QoT is definitely more popular than LR, and MDL ratings is way off as usual.

My apologies, but I still disagree with you, as well as your decree on whose data is reliable and whose is not.

It is impossible to discredit data because you dismiss their algorithm as skewed, when every set of data reflected online is set by someone’s algorithm, as is also the case when no algorithm is included. 

In any study, the researcher sets the criteria by which what is to be studied will be judged. 

As retired university faculty who sat on both Masters and Doctoral committees, I am very familiar with how research data is accumulated and adjudicated. 

Additionally, everywhere I looked online (even after my last response to you), the figures continue to support the ratings reflexed here on MDL.

These may not agree with your opinion, but you cannot change the ratings here nor elsewhere online simply because you disagree with them.

Attempting to do so is as futile as Don Quixote tilting with windmills - it produces  nothing.

You are certainly  have the right and are welcome to your preference for QoT - but so is everyone who prefers LR, who have the equal right to their preference without being told their opinion is illegitimate, which was why I decided to respond to your comment.

There is no right or wrong here, just personal preference, which each individual is entitled to hold.

Hopefully, you are open-minded enough to be gracious enough to give others the same right to their opinion,  preference and defense thereof as you defend yours so vehemently here.