• Last Online: Sep 2, 2019

Jenn

Gold Dimension
Heroine Disqualified
Jun 13, 2016
Do you like cute dramas with... interesting characters, good-looking casts, and a typical yet sweet execution? Well, Heroine Disqualified might just be for you!

JapaneseDrama (over on Tumblr) was raving about this drama a few months ago so I decided to ditch my piles of homework and check it out. I didn't know too much going into it, but i was pleasantly surprised. Actually, I had pretty high expectations, but it was still a cute drama. The story was very very very typical, yet i still found myself on the edge of my seat, anticipating what's to come. The acting and characters are probably what won me over. Our protagonist was perfect! She's relatable, funny (facial expressions on point!) and all too kawaii. The SLS is very very intense in this one as well, and our second female lead was interesting and different. I COULD NOT STAND OUR MALE LEAD THOUGH. He was bland yet somehow super frustrating and confusing. I could go on and on ranting about him but i don't think he's worth the time. Though props on the cinematography.

Back to 1989
Jun 25, 2016
I'm going to start off by saying that I don't usually watched dramas while they're airing, but I did with Back to 1989, so I feel as though I might be more bias in my review since I've watched the characters grow each week, which is much different from marathoning and seeing their growth in a few days.

I really fell attached with BT1989 and everything about it. There was a great blend of everything: family, first love, regrets, difficulties.. it was definitely my cup of tea. In my few years of drama watching, I've never heard of a plot like this drama. It's interesting, captivating, though quite confusing the more you think about it. It was so interesting to see how everything played out, and the writers definitely didn't let us down. However, TRIGGER WARNING for anyone uncomfortable with sexual assault. I did feel as though it got draggy near the end with the romance, but it was still an enjoyable watch. Many plot twists occurred that I didn't expect, and it had me on the edge of my seats with the different camera angles and shots. All the characters, as I've mentioned, I've become so attached with. While some were annoying at times, they each bring something important to the story. They made me laugh, cry, and shake my head in disbelief of how insane they were. We got your innocent and clumsy female lead and your smart and cool handsome male lead along with an adorable second couple and the awkward side characters that bring humour to any awkward situation, making it more awkward.

Some people really stood out with their acting, especially our second lead couple, which includes our second female lead Mini Tsai, and our second male lead Yorke Sun, both of whom I now adore their acting. It was nice seeing Ivy Shao play a different character from her cunning one in When I See You Again. However, I had mixed feelings on the main lead, Marcus Chang, though it was his first main role, so I still give him some credit. His crying made me laugh more than feel pity, but i could definitely see his improvement as the episodes progressed. Still not the best crier though, haha.

Besides the main theme song (you'll understand...), i loved the OST! I don't listen to them on a regular basis, but they suited the drama so well. They actually had hit songs from 1989, which was perfect for making it seem more realistic, along with a variety of songs that really scream Back to 1989. Besides Alien Huang, the rest were by more underrated or newer artists, so I was definitely intrigued. Now that I've finished the drama, I suddenly realize how amazing the soundtrack really is.

Overall, it has its flaws; it has a confusing conclusion with many issues still not explained, along with some draggy parts, but i loved this drama. It's what I looked forward to every Friday, and it was well produced, and it brought the feeling back of why i love Asian dramas. I'm so glad I found this, and I hope i persuaded some of you to watch it.

Orange
Jan 31, 2017
Orange follows the story of Naho, a 16 year old girl whose life takes a turn when she finds a letter given to her by herself from ten years into the future. That same day, a new kid turns up in her class named Kakeru. The letter then says to save Kakeru and to prevent her future self's regrets. (Not incredibly detailed, but I think it's best going into Orange knowing as little as possible!)

Orange... is not what I expected it to be. Instead of the typical romantic comedy, it was much more heartfelt and more friendship orientated. It hooks you automatically, and keeps you hooked until the end. It gives off a very homey feel, and while there are many Japanese live action cliches, it was extremely refreshing, specifically our main male lead (ahh Kentoooooo). The concept revolving time travel is only touched on slightly, leaving a more open-ended ending, but I think it works in this case. The filmography was well done and the slightest camera angles made a huge difference in certain scenes.

For the most part, asides from our main male lead, the other characters were alright. They didn't really go into their story in depth (not even the female lead), but they were given enough character to not be bland. The dynamic between the group of friends was great and believable enough, but there were times (and I see this was a concern for a few other people as well) when I thought the main female lead just didn't fit in with the group. She felt more of an individual hanging around the group instead of someone who's part of the group. Her voice was quite timid and she frustrated me at times (what female leads don't though?).

I'm going to admit: I didn't cry, not even close, while watching Orange. Sure, I had a few goosebumps here and there, but it wasn't enough to make me cry. It was definitely touching, but I saw the ending coming ten minutes before it actually happened so it didn't hit me in the heart as hard as it should've. Despite that, Orange was a great watch that's got me excited to try more live action adaptations!

Good Morning Call
Aug 7, 2017
I managed to watch a lot of this drama on the drive to my trip to Montreal, and I'm pretty sure I creeped out my dad and sister sitting in the front with my unstoppable squealing and gasping. It's safe to say that I was very attached to this drama.

Yes, the storyline is very typical, but I found each and every episode to be enjoying to watch, and the writers do a great job of ending off with a cliffhanger, making you click on the next episode. I deleted 3 apps on my phone just so I could have the storage for Good Morning Call. I love the cliches (THE FREAKING LOVE TRIANGLE HAD ME TORN OMG), but also appreciated how some drama stereotypes were broken (the guy, while handsome and smart, isn't rich and you really get to see how hard he has to work). I loved the friendships. Oh my holy goodness, the friendship between the main protagonists with the other characters is so delightful and genuine and I was so happy to see such a tight group of friends.

I absolutely adored the acting and cast. All of the cast did a great job of brining unique aspects to their character and tying the storyline together. They also all had great chemistry with each other, making the story believable.

The music wasn't' a big part of the drama, but there were definitely some tunes I found to be super cute and fitting to the drama.

Our Times
Mar 15, 2016
Aww, this was such a sweet fun watch! Definitely one to pick up if you're into cute romance and different school topics. It was fun and refreshing seeing some of the less popular faces that I like (Bernice Tsai, Dino Lee, Ian Chen...) and getting to see new ones that I've never heard of.

The story was spectacular. It's typical and overused, but it was done well! There wasn't one long draggy story, but multiple ones that led to a strong ending. It focused on different aspects from being insecure to being criticized for being in a certain clique, and it was just amazing. I laughed like crazy, almost teared up, and had a fun time! There were some characters i thought that could've had more character development because they stayed the same practically throughout the entire film. As well, they didn't focus too much on the parents or teachers, which I would've like to see more of.

The main theme is beautiful. Not something I would listen to by itself, but suited different scenes perfectly! I didn't pay much attention to the insert songs, though. I thought that it was clever to leave some scenes without music to make it more touching and really emphasize on those parts.

Ugly Duckling Series: Perfect Match
Jun 24, 2016
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OVER. I WAS SO ATTACHED TO THIS SHOW AND I WISHED IT WAS LONGER!

The story is very simple, yet unique. It holds many typical aspects of a rom-com, like cute romance, a dreadful love triangle, amazing side characters. an adorable main couple, and some great eye-candies. I found that the pacing (up until the last two episodes) were done amazingly. While each episode felt like it took a long time to end, I was never bored or tired of watched. It was fun and made me laugh and fangirl to my heart's delight. The ending was a bit rushed to me, especially since I felt so annoyed with the main characters!!

I loved all the characters and their development! The casting was done fairly well, and though some people didn't like Joo's acting, I thought she did a pretty good job. You could definitely see her improvement throughout the drama, which was a nice touch. All the characters brought some light into the drama and made it even more adducing.

At first, I didn't really care for the music. Nothing stood out and I didn't feel the need to buy them on iTunes or to download them. However, after 2 days of watching, I found myself humming the songs at school and realized how much i loved the soundtrack. The background music was always a nice touch, BUT MAN I LOVE JOO'S AND BEE'S RINGTONE! Excuse me while I go hunt these songs down on YouTube now, haha.

Again, I don't typically rewatch dramas, but i might go back and watch my favourite scenes again.

Yah, I had a fun time watching it, so I would definitely recommend checking it out. :)

Minami-kun no Koibito: My Little Lover
Mar 6, 2016
Awww, this was adorable! It was a cute, fun, light-hearted drama that was perfect for me, who was in a major drama watching slump. It reminded me a lot of Mischievious Kiss, but... you know... with the whole shrinking aspect.

The story... isn't all too realistic, but that's what made it fun. It was really all down to the writers on how to play around with the idea of someone shrinking to 1 inch, and I think they did a great job. Although the cinematography isn't too good, i really liked the idea of wishing to be small again... and literally doing so. Within 10 episodes, different and a variety of events happened that didn't feel rush, nor draggy, which is perfect!

I love love LOVE that the actors are actual their real ages. The two main roles are actually portrayed by high schoolers, which made it all more realistic... no offence kdramas. The supporting roles were all done well and hilarious, and i'm glad they got screen time but not too much since they're all pretty weird. Riku.. well, he was a bit creepy, but his love for Chiyomi was cute. The grandma was just wonderful, as well.

The two main themes were just beautiful and super kawaii, but i didn't care much for the insert songs.

Ahh, that was such an exciting 3 days!! I'll definitely remember this drama for a long time. So long, Minami-kun and Chiyomi-san!

Koizora
Feb 17, 2016
So... I feel as though I'm among the only one here that didn't bawl my eyes out?? Of course, it was sad, and i teared up a few times, but it wasn't enough to really have me crying... maybe because it was too predictable, or too common of a storyline in dramas.

The Story: It starts off weak. The acting wasn't so good at first, and the storyline was just weird and rushed. The characters were all annoying and weak, and they seem like the typical "teenagers." However, throughout the drama, the storyline improves and becomes more organized and touching. If you look at if from the surface, it may seem really dumb and sappy, but if you really dig into the events, there's so much more to it. It really requires a lot of thinking. There were some things that were touched upon but never mentioned again, which I kind of wanted them to do.

Acting/Cast: Like I mentioned before, the acting starts off weak, but it gradually gets better as the story goes on. I particularly like the character development and growth: the mean ones learn their lessons, the weak protagonist grows to be strong, etc. As well, the characters were actually played by people that are the same age as them, which is something you don't see too often. It gives the school environment a much more realistic feel.

Music: Asides from the main theme, i don't think there were any other songs, though the instrumental tracks played at nice time. I didn't find any of them memorable, but, my goodness, the main theme is heart wrenching, from the lyrics to the melody and aching voice of the singer.

Overall, it was a crazy ride! I had moments where I just wanted to drop this drama, but after digging more deeper, I found that it was pretty well written. I though it would've been nicer if it had been longer, but I'm glad the storyline didn't drag on. I probably wouldn't watch it due to its predictability and how sad it is, but this is one any romance lover should check out!

Okitegami Kyoko no Biboroku
Feb 13, 2016
This drama was so amazing, and such a delightful watch!! I fell in love with the plot, the characters, and felt so invested into this world of mystery and romance. I picked this up on a whim, but I'm so glad i did!

The story was extremely captivating, right from the start! Not only does it get me thinking about someone's memory resetting every night, but I was always in love with the mysteries. Unlike other mystery shows I've watched, there were deeper meanings behind the ones here; all heartwarming and amazingly done. Everytime I was SURE my logic made sense, the writers go and blow my mind. *mind blown*. The humour was always a great touch, and i fell in love with all the characters, especially the supporting ones.

Acting/Cast:
I was extremely happy with the casting. Not only did the main leads have undeniable chemistry, but their individual characters were quirky, loveable, and believable.. despite how weird they are. I'm not extremely into J-dramas, but I hope these guys are famous actors, 'cause they blew my mind with every task and challenge.

The opening and theme song were both really, really, REALLY catchy (I'm singing it in my head as i write this!), which is always a nice addition, haha. I didn't pay attention to the insert songs or the instrumental tracks at first, but I started noticing how delicately it was placed for specific scenes at specific times. The editing was done really well, and the music was just overall a nice touch!

Rewatch Value:
I think that this is a type of drama to re-watch on a nice fall day when you're feeling like a detective. Episode 7, in particular, was one of my favourites, so I would watch that, but I don't think I would re-watch the entire drama.

Overall, i had a blast watching this, and I'm missing it already. I wish it was longer, though!!!

Your Lie in April
Jun 27, 2017
Just finished watching this, and for some reason, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I guess I expected more with all the hype. (That, and the previous j-movie i watched was Orange so like...pretty high standards lawl.) The story is quite predictable for those who have seen a lot of romance live actions before, but nonetheless, it was a fun watch. I absolutely adored the music aspect and the "music is freedom" vibe because as a musician myself, I couldn't think of a better way to phrase that. Very similar storyline to Koizora, in my opinion.

Loved the casting!! Most of the cast are actual teenagers, making the story more believable, and they all brought their own little charm to the screen. Our two main leads did a phenomenal job with making their characters three dimensional, and I felt very connected to both of them, though did feel they lacked a bit of chemistry. The two main leads spent half a year training before filming to look more professional with the instruments, so I really appreciate their dedication!

Ahhh the music was great. The instrumental pieces were perfect (as usual for j-movies), and the songs really set the vibe for the film. The soundtrack wasn't a huge piece for the movie, though did add nice accompaniment at times.

Overall, a great way to spend an afternoon, but not something that absolutely blew my mind.

Liar Game 2
Sep 4, 2016
An incredible 9 episodes that will leave you wanting more, yet leave you feeling extremely satisfied with the results. I wasn't such a huge fan of LIAR GAME but I decided to give LIAR GAME 2 a shot since I was curious on how the story will end up. This time around, I'm seriously obsessed with this show.

While only 2 rounds were played throughout this drama, they were both extremely riveting and interesting. I'm not sure if they themselves were intriguing or perhaps it was how it was played out by the characters.

I love seeing Nao, Akiyama and Fukunagi return, stronger than ever. While the stay true to their character, you can really see how much they've grown within the 2 year gap period. Not only was the character development great, but their relationship as the three musketeers (or you can say the amazing duo and the funny sidekick). Their bond was unbreakable despite all the risk. They brought such amazing qualities to the plate that made the drama felt complete. Gold tooth guy and mysterious worker girl were mysterious and creepy as ever, but they added the tension to the story that kept me intrigued. We're also introduced to new characters that don't seem to make an appearance in the Final Stage, but I loved their stories equally as much.

I read a review previously about how much they loved the music so I started paying more attention to it this time around. I can honestly say that the OST is the most unique but underrated thing you can find. it's thrilling, sort of like video game music. It makes the game more lively and spontaneities and adds a sense of "what the heck?" to the drama, which is what you're supposed to feel when watching.

All in all, LIAR GAME 2 was hella epic and one of my new favourites. I cannot wait to see how The Final Stage ties it all together.

Love Buffet
Jun 5, 2016
Originally, I had this at an 8.5 rating, but after watching the last few episodes, it just didn't deserve the .5 anymore. I was really enjoying it up until around the 10th or 11th episode: it was funny, cute, lighthearted, and all around enjoyable. We had some fun loving characters with their equally, if not better, loving families. Then a bunch of random things that happened that didn't need to happen happened... which threw it off track. Then came constant crying and constant wrist grabbing and constant, "i like you's" thrown back and forth until i didn't want to hear it anymore. Characters I once loved became annoying, and everything turned into a hot mess. BUT i was attached to the characters, so I still ended up finishing it. At the end of the day, I stopped caring about who she ended up with, and would've preferred if she didn't end up with anyone.

K.O.3an Guo
May 20, 2016
OMG WOW! With 53 episodes, you think this would be draggy, but it went by way too quickly. I really fell in love with it, I think more than I did with the Gold Dimension instalments. I fell in love with the storyline, most of the characters (cuz dong zhuo, lu bu and their stupid sidekicks really aren't my thing) and all the relationships formed. I literally just finished the last episode, and I'm missing them already.

While the storyline was "school" based politics, which I'm not really into, i found myself constantly enjoying it. Of course, there's also the ridiculous yet surprisingly pleasant zhongji humour thrown in there. The addition of wuxia and fighting powers always add a nice touch, and there were so many aspects that kept me on the edge of my seat. While the acting wasn't the best, it's so nice to see such famous stars today collar together for this as this was during the time when most of them just started acting.

THE MUSIC IS INCREDIBLE. I have all the songs downloaded and constantly listen to them. There's such a variety, and it's perfect for every scene. The music is very dear to my heart, and I think this has the best soundtrack among all the zhongji instalments so far.

Like i said, it's 53 episodes, which took me a while to finish, so i be re-watching it, but trust me, i'll be watching and crying over fan mvs on youtube for the next few weeks (months, really).

The X-Dormitory
Mar 21, 2016
Awww, that was such a unique and fun watch that I'm sure will stick with me for a long, long time. I don't think I've ever been this attached to characters as much as I am with these ones here.

The beginning started off really strong, but of course, with 40 episodes, there were some boring parts. I always thought about skipping some episodes but I'm so glad I didn't, because they all add up to the ending. The stories were always ridiculous and weird, but were always fun and had a much deeper meaning than the surface. I laughed my butt off!! It's was so funny and wild, but I LOVE THAT. There were times when I just wanted to smack some of the characters for their actions, but I guess that's what make it so real. There was some amazing characters development as well, and made me feel as though I grew up with these characters. There were some characters that didn't really have a proper closure (cuz this is Zhongji and chances are they're planning a sequel and all) which I would've like to see. Everything about the ending was just unexpected and all over the place, but that's how it messed with my heart the most. The couples that we spent 40 episodes watching didn't really make any progress, which was a shame, honestly.

The music was just.... so amazing. The beginning theme is fun and wild (i love me some SpeXial) and the ending theme is perfect as well (Diana's voice is so precious!). As well, there were more than those two tracks, and I still loved them! Cheers to whoever edited the music, cuz it fit all the story lines and scenes so well. The instrumental tracks added suspense, action, sweetness, and sadness. I wouldn't watch the music any other way.

Again, 40 episodes is a big commitment, so I don't think i would watch the entire drama again, but definitely different parts of it, like all the cute romantic parts, or some episodes that stood out to me. But, I'll definitely be recommending it to my drama friends, especially those that watched X-Family.

And here I am, writing this review, wiping the tears away from my eyes. Of course, this drama isn't perfect, but the ZhongJi series never fails to rip my heart out, and this one did just that.

The Clue
Apr 29, 2017
I went into this film not knowing much, but came out actually enjoying it! I'm not too big into horror or gory things, but thankfully 4th Period Mystery had just enough to keep the film thrilling without scaring the crap outta me. The story took a while to get rolling, but when it did, it was well paced and pretty darn epic. I wish we got a more sneak peak into the characters and their backstories, which were quite rushed, but I guess you can't do too much in such a short period of time. There wasn't much character development either, but the cast did a phenomenal job in making their characters stand out. Our 3 protagonists were all likeable, whereas the antagonists were not, which is how they should be lol. The music was hella intense and was perfect for all the suspense. Overall, a quick enjoyable watch for a Friday night.