• Location: Hawaii, USA

Hawaii, USA

Kimberly

Hawaii, USA
Princess Silver
I really enjoyed this drama. I thought I started it when I could watch/binge by the time it was finished subbing. I WAS WRONG. I ended up watching faster than the subs were being done. The plot was typical palace intrigue (aka hella drama) with backstabbing. However, it was addicting due to the fact that the main female lead was missing her memories, so you keep watching to see what happens. The plot twists on here are pretty amazing and least suspecting. But I will not ruin it for everyone.

The acting was great. I liked all the leads in this series. This is my first time seeing Aarif and Sophie in a drama. I thought they did really well! Aarif's character is suppose to be stoic and serious. But when he smiles, wow! Sophie was great with her range of emotions so it wasn't like watching two walls.

Overall I really enjoyed this drama and I will try to find more dramas with the actors here.

The Story of Ming Lan
I love Zanilia and William, and how cute that they are now married and pregnant!

This drama isn't very "action packed" if you're looking for Zanilia to do stunts like you've seen her do in Princess Agents. It's more like Lu Zhen if anything, she can speak her way out of any issues! This one is not really "palace intrigue" but details the life of a middle-class (can you even classify them as that?) and their struggles with rankings (Main wife, 2nd wife, 3rd wife, etc) and their children's struggles trying to "find their place." Sadly, Ming Lan grows up in a house where her mom is a lower-ranked wife/mistress and they are not treated nicely by the main and 2nd wives. There is a lot of plotting from the mothers down to the daughters!

The romance part of the drama doesn't really kick in right away, but we pretty much root from Zanilia & William since they're kids (well I did!). It doesn't get lovey-dovey until the end where he claims his love for her. But still so intriguing to watch it from beginning to end.

Overall, I liked this drama and I thought they were cast so well to play a couple!

Story of Yanxi Palace
I read this was one of the best dramas that would come out in 2018, was it the team-up with HK's Charmaine? Maybe? I'm not familiar with many of the actors in this drama, as it's the first time I've seen most of them. But I thought it was an interesting story, and the ending was not what I expected.

I liked the build-up and character development on this drama. The palace intrigue is very dramatic and will rank high up there in terms of killing each other's babies and poisoning each other.

One of the reasons I didn't think the ending would turn out the way it did, was that Ying Luo actually loved the emperor. I always felt their age difference and acting didn't really emit that there was love between them (but that's just me). Sadly, I was hoping she'd realize her love for Fu Heng, but I guess not.

Scarlet Heart 2
I've read the reviews on this drama.... A lot of them were not nice lol. I can see why. I know where were controversy about time-travel, so I get it they had to make a lot of cuts out of this drama. However, the plot was messy. Like who wrote this? When I was watching I questioned how the actors felt with the plot twists in this drama.

I only watched this because I was in a show-hole and wanted to see what happened with our lovable characters, and how did they turn out? Did they tie it in with the original Scarlet heart? Are there easter eggs? Who made cameos?!

Well, it turned out our OTP was in a crazy love-triangle-square mess, involving a long-lost twin! They didn't really tie it in, there was a lot of paintings of Kangxi and references to Kangxi. I think besides Jack, I didn't see anyone else make cameos that were worth noticing.

Overall, this is a really bad drama unless you're bored!

The Destiny of White Snake
I really liked this drama. It had a great plot, great cast, and like-able characters.

The main thing that turned me off from this drama was the constant sacrificing the two main characters had for each other, well actually what everyone had for each other in this drama it felt like. But it was too repetitive. There's not a lot of tear-jerking scenes (in my opinion) and angst.

The only cast member I was familiar with in this drama is Yang Zi, she did great in Ashes of Love. I felt this role was very similar. She seems to be testing out her range with this drama because there are a lot crying/screaming scenes (although I did not feel touched by her scenes).

End note: I thought it was interesting there were two alternative endings.

Ashes of Love
Jan 21, 2019
Wow, what an amazing drama in terms of storytelling, acting, music, and cinematography.

The story was very intriguing. It was so magnetic, I found myself binge watching until 3am. Eek! It had me hooked, there were little parts where I fast forward, but overall the story and plot was great. I liked the buildup for each character, and it wasn’t drawn out.

The acting was magnificent. I’ve only seen Yang Zi in Noble Aspirations, and hated her in that drama but when I read the synopsis, I was like oh wow she’ll be perfect because she was so stoic faced, but this drama brought out a very cute side to YZ. I also liked our two male leads, both very eye-catching and cute!

Music – no idea what the lyrics were, but I liked the music and felt bad only watching on mute at times.
Cinematography was amazing. I watched is on Netflix so the quality was amazing, I recommend watching in high quality if possible. The outfits, shots, and set were done nicely.

I liked the ending, and how it incorporated our main characters. I liked the side characters too, such as Mr. Puchi, Fox Fairy and Mr. Hu. I would take a part two of this movie, if those three were involved. The ending leads us to believe there’ll be a part two, perhaps involving the kids of our main lead.

I'm definitely rewatching this, it's up there next to 10MPB

The Legend of the Condor Heroes
Dec 26, 2018
This is one of the first dramas I have EVER watched. Growing up in the 90's, my mom would buy these box-sets that were dubbed into Vietnamese. To this day, I can recite the themesong in both Cantonese and Vietnamese!

The plot/storyline is the same as other LOCH, but the acting and the cast is SUPERB here. It is/was pretty much the all-star cast of TVB at the time, all the actors from the main characters to minor roles are familiar faces. I also believe the chemistry between our leads were so well acted out. If you can get past the low-quality (c'mon we have HD TVs now), and the older quality CGI, this is a great version of LOCH.

Besides the acting the martial arts in here is amazing. I believe that many of the actors back in the famous HK day dramas, were required to learn some type of martial arts, so the the martial arts you see is on point.

To this day, this will always be my favorite drama. I wish I had easy access to this drama on the internet, but I'll always rewatch on DVD!

Legend of Fu Yao
Nov 23, 2018
I thought this drama was great. The cast was likeable, the cinematography was great, the fighting was impeccable, and the story line was decent.

I however, was more drawn to the chemistry between the two leads. The story line seemed all over the place to me, and confusing. At times, I'm still not sure who Fuyao is, and where she comes from. After reading the reviews, I finally realized there are moments where Fuyao blacks out = breaking seals, but there were times where she blacks out and it was more than 5x. When the last seal broke, I thought it was like the 6th or 7th time.

I pretty much just enjoyed the cast.

The Investiture of the Gods
Nov 23, 2018
The Investiture Of The Gods

What does investiture even mean? It means the action of formally investing a person with honors or ranks. I only defined the definition after watching this drama, and now I’m like Oooooooooh, that makes sense.

This drama follows Jiang Zi Ya (Sammul)’s journey as becoming a student of Taoism. His teacher is the highest ranking, almost god-like. His main objective is to topple the evil Emperor and help the king of the Western Region to become the new emperor. This is already written in the book, as fate and is suppose to happen (I guess eventually?), but he is to aid this. In the meanwhile, Nu Wa Goddess assigns three deities (9 tail fox, wild chicken, and flute) to go and distract the evil emperor to bring down his reign. They’re also to find the man carrying the Nu Wa stone (Jiang Zi Ya) and assist his task to make the western king emperor. Unfortunately, the 9 tail fox falls in love with the evil emperor, and also they mistakenly follow Jiang Zi Ya’s disciple brother as the person with the Nu Wa stone. Throughout the drama, the 4 lackies that went astray of their mission, fights with Jiang Zi Ya and his crew of fighters. Throughout the drama, Jiang Zi Ya is able to to gather a number of skilled fighters onto the Western Region, as well as getting married, and solving problems for many of the characters introduced into this drama.

The story was intriguing, but also cheesy. Some of the scenes were SUPER annoying. I liked the side arch of Na Zha and how he is born after his mom carries him for 3 years and 6 months, and how his dad is always wary of him and wants to make sure he does the right thing. Jiang Zi Ya’s wife is hilarious and the relationship with Na Zha is very cute. Ma Zhao De is hilarious as Jiang Zi Ya's crazy wife, she gets into so many antics, and at times you just wanna scream at her to grow the f- up, but she doesn't lol. I do enjoy the scenes with her sometimes, as she's the comic relief. It's touching to see Jiang Zi Ya's love blossom with her.

I believe this drama also incorporates many legends/stories in Chinese mythology/history. For example the story of Na Zha (being born after his mom's pregnancy lasts 3.6 years), or the story of the hunter and wolf demon (becoming best friends after one rescues the other).

The costumes are really cheesy and flashy. I'm not sure if this was a early Mainland drama or a HK drama, but they're flashy! The cinemetography is nothing like the new dramas, but the fight scenes were on point.

Overall, I wouldn’t want to watch this more than once.

The Journey of Flower
May 6, 2018
I have put off this drama for too long and I can see why people recommend this drama. It’s very sad but touching drama. The story follows Hua Gian Gu, who is cursed at birth for “destroying” life, plants, flowers, animals, etc. She bumps into an immortal Bai Zi Hua in disguise as Mo Bing, and ends up falling in love with him. She ends up being told that she can find Mo Bing at Chang Liu, and does all she can to join Chang Liu and join their sect. Her journey through this entire drama is tough. She is often looked down upon because she’s considered weak, dumb and naïve. She is betrayed by close friends, and her love life is forbidden.

I enjoyed this drama. I think the characters are well developed, even all the side characters. The relationship of Bai Zi Hua and Hua Gian Gu reminds me of Yang Guo & Xiao Long Nu. Everyone misunderstands them, and condemns them, and in the end they cannot admit they love each other. I was BAWLING my eyes out, crying in the last two episodes. But it was refreshing to see the ending here. The other characters in this drama are complex. A lot of them ended up in misery, due to their own doing and obsessions. I can name several characters that caused their own downfall. Another refreshing aspect is that this drama doesn’t have ONE main antagonist. I was trying to predict the ultimate bad guy in the end, but was surprised about how it went about & how in the end the “bad” sect turned good!

Overall, it's a pretty good drama. I cried, I laughed, and binged watch this. I felt Zanilia and Wallace didn't have too much chemistry/romance because their characters were probably not allowed to. Even in the end, I didn't feel "it." But still an enjoyable ending.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at the end does it sound like Sha Qian Mo would come back, maybe a season 2?

Rookie Agent Rouge
Mar 16, 2018
Wow. This drama is excellent. If you look at my list I have not indulge into too many dramas set in the last century, I.e. Republic Era / WW2. But this one is amazing and actually makes me want to watch more.

First off the cast here is superb. I felt all the actors did such a great job, I even loved the bad guys and supporting roles. Starting with Lan Yan Zhi, I loved how Zanilia takes on this role of super smart and bad ass chick, but also shows other range of emotions (unlike Princess Agents lol, sorry for those true fans). For example, she does get to be lovey-dovey, and shows her emotions after she accidentally causes the death of her friend's parents. I thought her acting was pretty good in here (compared to other dramas I've seen her in).

Her nemesis/bestie Feng Man Na (played by Tao Xin Ran), oh man and OMG. I felt so BAD for this character, I hated and loved her at the same time. Two thumbs up for this actress. Her character was so relateable that even when she went crazy, I didn't hate her for it. I totally related with her all the times she is betrayed by who she thought was her good friends. Poor Man-Na. The actress is also very pretty, I'm sad she onyl has 3 dramas listed under her in MDL.

All the male actors did a fantastic job as well. I really came to like Song Mian and Zhou Yu Hao, I was thrown off by the plot twist, with what I thought would he the couples in here. Someone needs to find the male actor that played the doctor. HOT STUFF. If I could change the ending I'd pair him up with Feng Man Na. Song Mian (Yuan Mickey), wow, cute! I loved his character because it was so vague. At times I was watching, I was wondering how they'll pair him up with Zanilia, and if he actually loved Tianmu. HM! Zhou Yu Hao (Lu Yi), I thought he was so ugly at first, but he emerged as a very likeable character. I love how his relationship with Lan Yan Zhi gradually built up, like they weren't too typical, of building up their relationship (i.e. constant bickering).

Storyline is impressive. I loved the plot and how it developed. I loved for the dark side of the Japanese imperialists. So enjoyable to watch it progress. Sometimes when I have a drama I'd spoil myself and read the ending. I didn't do it for this drama. Ending with the Communist spiel was cheesy.

Overall fantastic. Ending was happy and on point. I'd watch again.

Captain of Destiny
Feb 4, 2018
Wow, another great TVB drama that came out within the last decade! I've seen Three Kingdomgs RPG before and this was very similar, except our female lead has love interests. It has the romance, the comedy, the back stabbing/manipulation, and crazy plot twists.

Story: Grace Chan is Wong  Tai-Mui a HK Police Officer that helps save a tycoon from being kidnapped (several times), she's very "black/white" with her ideals. For example, all bad guys are bad guys, regardless of what they're doing. You'll see her change her views as she goes back 200 years into the Qing Dynasty. When she goes back into the past, she gets into all kinds of antics, including trying to pair up her great great grandparents (because the weren't going to come do it on their own). She also joins the pirates and helps them fight against the Qing Dynasty, and then gets the pirates to try join the Qing government. Huge plot twists in this drama.

Acting: I thought acting was good, it wasn't the BEST I've ever seen but thought it was good because it fits the story.  I really like Grace Chan playing Wong Tai Mui, I think it's funny they play off the fact that she looks foreigner, so many times they referred to her as the Western Girl and even asks if she's part white and if her mom loved a white man. Tony Hung is hilarious as Cheung Po-Tsai. I liked him from the get-go and it's great seeing his character develop. I especially thought he was funny when he got transported into the modern realm. Ruco Chan does a great job as Prince Man Ho with his serious role. He ends up being quite loving, and likeable. He has a great face for playing a prince, or even if they re-do old wuxia classics. I found him to be quite handsome in historical costume.

There's a few cameo's in here at the end when they bring in the Qing dynasty characters, as modern folks. They don't play the same characters, just happen to pop up at the end (perhaps their descendants). Raymond Wong who was suppose to originally play Cheung Po-Tsai pops up at the end, and we even see Evergreen Mak pop up in here at the end too. I believe he played a character with the same name in another drama.

Overall, great drama with cute ending.

Note: There are things that bug me about this drama, like the how fast Wong Tai-Mui's character switches love interests. I just wasn't sure who she would pick, and am still perplexed with how fast people move on in this drama. But perhaps because Wong Tai-Mui had a rough relationship at the start, and she's a strong independent woman she don't need no man she moved on fast?

If you've seen this drama and would like to chat, feel free to message or comment. :)

Noble Aspirations
Jan 14, 2018
I normally really like fantasy type of dramas like this, but this one fell short. Perhaps it was too long (55 episodes) and dragged out too much? I ended up watching to episode 32 and contemplated on dropping it. I ended up skipping to epiode 47 and it really picked up the groove, and from the subtitles I must've missed two arcs where Zhao Xiao Fan and Bi Yao/Xue Qi all go through life/death situation that follows the other arcs. The ending was a terrible cliffhanger situation, but you're like THANK GOODNESS it's over. I don't think I'll watch season two.

Story - too long, boring, not creative or unique.

Acting - The cast grew on me. At first I thought ZXF was ugly asfk (still do). I thought JY and CSS were more likeable and liked whenever they had screentime. The female cast is great, and they're all very pretty. But too many annoying romances that you don't get to dive into and clear up what happened i.e. Senior Brother Wan & You Ji (Bi Yao's aunty). IDK why, but the Azure Dragon (William Yang) really caught my eye.

Rewatch value: NOPE.

Note: I kept reading reviews and comments, and so many people kept labeling this as "bro-mancey" with ZXF and JY, I mean yea they were pretty bro-mancy but there is obviously love between Bi Yao and Zhang Xiao Fan!

Mystery of the Twin Swords
Dec 18, 2017
This is the first drama I've ever watched!

Basically the back story is that, Good and Evil has always been battling. The representative of the good side (heaven) was Ah Yat's father. His nemesis, the devil king, jealous that he can't possibly win a fight, impregnant Ah Yat's mom with his own demon seed, and plots that when the boys grow older they'll have the most epic show-down because the Good son will probably hesitate to kill his own brother. The devil king and Ah Yat's father have a showdown, which the Devil King gets locked away in a cave, and Ah Yat's father and mother pass away.

Years later the boys grow up along side their adoptive mother, and their sister Kieu Kieu  (**I watched in Vietnamese, so I don't know the Chinese). The three are quite comical, and often get into trouble and fights with each other. The three pretty much tear apart the little village, beneath the mountain, with their antics. Throughout the drama, they'll be introduced into several characters Thanh Thanh (Ah Yat's girlfriend), Yen Phien Thien (Their awesome martial arts friend), and many more characters. Thanh Thanh is a pretty violent/bossy girl towards Ah Yat, but he still tries to pursue her. Yen Phien Thien is a hit-man and the two brothers ask him to teach them martial arts, the three get into a lot of trouble in casinos (by scamming people). Throughout the funny stuff, there are several arcs where they all face the devil king's minion.

This drama is from the 90's so the CGI sucks on today's TV. It's also quite goofy. But it's a great drama and really showcase all the actors. Roger Kwok and Dicky Cheung were REALLY handsome when they were young. If you get a chance to watch this drama, it's pretty good.

The Young Warriors
Dec 6, 2017
Story: The plot wasn't intricate, and pretty much straight forward. This drama is based on the Legend of the Yang Generals, which is based on true stories (I believe). Out of all General Yang Ye's sons, his 6th son (in the legends) portrayed by Hu Ge is the most intelligent and follow his father's foot steps to protect and serve the Song Dynasty. The Yang family will face several antagonists throughout the drama.

The storyline can get somewhat "annoying" with all the love triangles, there are many love storylines in here and it's too interwoven at times, and too "convenient" that some of our brothers fall in love with the same girl their nemises is in love with.  Towards the end of the drama, I was sick of 6th son love drama, on how the girl he was friends with went psycho. I skipped past most of the scenes with her in it, it was too much for me. However, some of the love scenes are quite cute. I was fond of Peter Ho and Ceciliu Liu's roles, as well the General Yang and his wife.  If you like a drama with lots of intense emotions, this one will suck you in. Every scene that involved 4th son w/ his parents had me on verge of crying.

Acting: This drama has a superb cast. It's not as big as the 1980's version made by TVB (which featured TONS of TVB actors at the time), but it's pretty decent. I thought the 1,2,3 sons and their wives were pretty plain and not memorable. 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th sons are played by Peter Ho,  Chen Long, Hu Ge and Eddie Peng, excellent cast for the younger bros. Their little sister, played Zhao Zi Cun is just adorable!! She's probably one my favorite characters in this drama.

The actors that portray General Yang and his wife take the cake on this drama. You would think Hu Ge is the main actor in here, but nope. Those two did a fantastic job of their parents. Dad is strict, stoic, and often torn between family and state affairs. Mom is strong and the backbone to the family. Such a awesome couple.

Overall, it's a pretty good drama. Don't expect too many happy endings because in the legends and in history, there were no happy endings.