anopinion
May 11, 2017
To be honest, there were a lot of criticisms directed at the drama in Chinese media. For instance, Lu Chen Xi wearing high heels at work, Zhuang Shu using his hands to touch his scrub, etc. Personally, I'm not too bothered about all these details. Of course, I wouldn't know if they were doing the right thing or not, but I'm not watching a medical drama to learn how a hospital operates, read more or to familiarise myself with operating procedures. I think it's ridiculous to expect 100% accuracy for such professional dramas, and I don't think it's fair to judge it like that.

Surgeons actually follows a pretty standard "format". You have the established specialist, perfect in every way, return from the US to work in his home country as our protagonist Zhuang Shu, the idealistic but highly-talented surgeon who is oblivious to everything outside of work as our heroine Lu Chen Xi, and other side characters whom you can find in practically every other medical drama. Some people call this the modern version of Nirvana in Fire, since Zhuang Shu, like Mei Chang Su, returned to seek vengeance on his enemies. I think the similarities pretty much stop there though (but I never finished NiF so I won't know).

The main plot isn't really prominent in the drama until the later stages. Surgeons actually focuses more on doctor-patient interactions. I don't think it's anything to shout about, but I think the script is pretty well-written in the sense that the dialogues were great. The characters were also designed well, none of them are completely evil, or completely good (other than LCX). Acting wise, I'm not too impressed with Jin Dong. I think he was serviceable, but he didn't come across as an elite surgeon. Imo, LCX is the true protagonist since she is the one who "changed" the most throughout the drama, from someone who is borderline annoying because of how stubborn and unmalleable she is to someone who is, well, a little more flexible and understanding. I was never a fan of Bai Bai He's acting because I think she's herself in every project she stars in, but she was good in this drama. LCX and her buddy Chen Shao Cong showed most growth in the drama (probably because they started out at lvl 0). CSC is freaking hilarious and I think Li Jia Hang played the role well. My favourite character is Yang Fan though. I think you just can't hate the character because Liu Yi Jun is so awesome with his portrayal. You can really see the difference in just acting and good acting when you watch dramas like Surgeons and In the Name of People. I was blown away by the veterans.

Also, kudos to the scriptwriter for making the female characters likeable and "aggressive". LCX and Yang Yu are just kickass when it comes to dealing with their boyfriends. LCX's responses when asked about ZS were so freaking funny as well. The two couples had good chemistry too. I think they did a good job with the romantic development in that it was a slow process but you can see how they come to like each other. Much better than other dramas where you have no idea why they are falling in love with each other, or the dramas where the main couple lacks chemistry so badly (yes, I'm talking about O2O).

In short, I think Surgeons is a good watch. It sort of faltered towards the end, but I think it's just me who's a little exhausted because of its length (44 episodes) and how frequently the episodes were aired. I was completely drawn in by the earlier episodes though and so I'd give it a 8.5. The drama is also rated 7.5 on Douban, slightly lower than what it should have been because of Bai Bai He's scandal.
Surgeons, Chinese drama to the chase of Koreans!
"Surgeons" is a Chinese medical drama that troubled the Koreans, a fact that Korean knows how to make good dramas, even more of the medical genre, but China has been showing growth in its productions, proof was "Surgeons", which came to show that not only Korean He understands medicine.
Obviously, "Surgeons" does not have that dramatic impact of the Korean versions because of the read more more conservative culture of China, however history is high, we have a story very well written by Zhu Zhu where at no time was there a loss of income in what Refers to arresting the attention of the viewer, in fact the drama involves a mystery and an investigation, can often be a bit annoying, but the direction of Xue Li suppressed this annoyance mixing medical scenes like surgical operations and parallel novels as well as administrative intrigues and Personal, not only protagonists but also adjuvants, in the end we end up seeing all the acting and participative cast within small stories but fundamental to set the whole context of the drama.
The cinematography and scenarios, are also the height, cutting-edge technology, medical training mannequins, shows that "Surgeons" did not save money in production, wanted to show their full potential. And they did it.
Soundtrack, well, here we have some divergences, China is still not very good of thinks the right melody for the scene to get emotionally correct. And we all know that a good soundtrack is fundamental to convey all the feeling that that particular scene presents. A pity, but nothing to hinder, is within the acceptable.
In general, the difference between this medical drama and Korean dramas of the same genre is the focus of the story. "Surgeons" focuses more on the medical-medical side, contrary to the Korean version focusing on the doctor-patient.
For those who are fans of medical dramas, this is an excellent suggestion!
MysteryMel-Bookish
May 17, 2017
Summary of story-line: A long story of delayed revenge. Sound familiar? Setting in the medical ivory towers in China, but could be anywhere. Procedural and light on romance that could have been much more smoldering.
Acting: The real standout were the leads - they had chemistry. The surrounding cast and stories were credible and supported the main story-line of revenge-love.
Music: no real winner for me. It did not get in the read more way.
RW: Not for a while - too many eps.
Overall: Good story that seemed rushed at the end, felt like the writers were told end here and they just scrambled to tie up. It ended the way it started with the OTP bickering. Wish the writers would have ended it with Xi bickering with Zhang, and he just walk over and kissed the hell out of her. This move would have startled her immensely and given the viewers a bit more of his smexy stares manifested into something besides a hug. Cdrama is getting better.
Surgeons

BTV
  • Duration:

40 min.

• Score:

8.6 (scored by 230 users)
  • Ranked: