Turkish Korean Remakes That No One Knows

Turkish Korean Remakes That No One Knows
Do they even exist?

Yes, they do and not just one or two. There are loads of Turkish dramas that fully or partly adapt Korean stories.

I am Turkish, but you can be sure of my objectivity as I am a Korean Drama Fan of 8 years!
Some of these dramas I did watch, some I couldn’t bear to watch, and some I didn’t even know existed either because the story was completely altered so I couldn’t recognize it or because the drama was a failure so it vanished as soon as it was out there.

I'm Sorry, I Love You = Bir ask Hikayesi
(literal translation: A Love Story)

http://media.mydramalist.com/cache/7u9/556377158885228826_8f36e726_c.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3dgjQxnR5oA/UmL-JxDAf-I/AAAAAAAAAPU/SitZY0JiHHI/s1600/bir+aşk.jpg

I didn’t watch the Korean drama for this one, but I did watch the Turkish version. I knew it was a remake before I watched it. This one was one of the first popular remakes and it caused a lot of outcry among the Turkish K-drama lovers. There are a million reasons why remakes never work in Turkish format, but why this drama struggled was because Turkish dramas are 90 to 100 minutes per episode and last for 3-4 seasons if the drama is a success. Yes, they are so long that the story gets dragged longer than it should be, and there are strange long stares and unnecessary filler episodes that want you to hang yourself.

But all in all this drama had a serious fan base in Turkey and was loved by many even though I heard it struggled with ratings through the end. Sadly, I couldn’t follow the drama after like 25 episodes, but it wrapped up at the end and was not a complete embarrassment to Turkish people.

Overall rating: 7/10

King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu = Ask, Ekmek, Hayaller
(literal translation: Love, Bread, Dreams)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSE_J-RpKzU0zHfkOvY4ogW4pxmUGg7ziZYghoiFJNwKs4FZtzSHw   http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_-MioSM_MOfoI-lv1jACWj2twStKgKO8ymWbzU2e9S8aUBfEH

First of all, horrible title. Second of all, one of my all-time favorite K-dramas and even if they had done a 100% perfect job at it, I would still not be satisfied. Call me biased, I don’t care.

But this is a good adaptation nevertheless. I watched both the Korean and Turkish version and I must say that the idea could have worked, but the Turkish version failed to create the perfect cast that made the Korean drama a success despite the budget cuts it went through.

Overall rating: 6/10

Boys Over Flowers = Günesi Beklerken
(literal translation: Waiting for (the) Sun)

Okay, okay, I know what you are thinking. There is an American remake being made and I know how you are gonna react, but before that, this is not a full adaptation. This is not even officially an adaptation, but let me tell you why everyone thinks this was based on BoF.

The story starts differently, but nevertheless our hero is a girl whose mother went bankrupt and had to move to a big city and change schools and so far only the being poor part resembles BoF. The resemblances only begin and actually exist in 2 places of the plot. First of all, as she enters the high school she gets picked on by the son of the owner of the school and her school life becomes hell itself.

She starts liking the best friend of the boy who makes her life hell. He loves reading in his hideout (which she finds out by accident while she was escaping from the other hell-boy) and is kind and elegant and the perfect package.

When she gets this perfect boy at the end though, she decides that she actually is in love with the hell-boy and leaves the perfect package for the hell boy.

And I must mention that according to Turkish standards, these two dream boys are hot, handsome and every fangirl's dream.

This is as far as the resemblance is going for me. While BoF is a fun drama mixed with a cute love story, Günesi Beklerken is a teenage drama that kind of reminds me of One Tree Hill

While Günesi Beklerken is a big hit in Turkey, after the first 5-6 episodes it went its own way with its story and became a completely different drama.

Overall rating: 7/10

BONUS: Korean Movie made into a Turkish Hit

A Moment to Remember = Evim Sensin
(literal translation: You Are My Home)

This is a movie that brought many women to tears and envy for such a love story. This is a movie adaptation of the movie A Moment to Remember.

I watched both movies. The story in general is not my cup of tea, but if we are talking only about adaptation, well the Turkish version had a lot of logic gaps and the male actor was just too old for the girl…

Overall rating: 8/10

shadowdancer Apr 22, 2014

Wow, I did not know some of them because they alter the scripts too much. But I think nowadays there is a full adaptation of Always / Only You...I did not watch any of them, so I am not sure. But the trailer looked like they sticked with the original one.

whatteverr May 6, 2014

yeah this movie came to my attention after i wrote the article... yes but they never mention (like ever) that its even related to the korean original,its annoying of my people :D

shadowdancer Jun 5, 2014

I know what you mean :D

PetaPan Apr 20, 2014

Waiting for the Sun...I also thought so at first but seriously, they changed it after the first four episode so much that I do not even know who the hell is Sun or what does the sun represent anymore :D :D (I havent been able to watch the last five episode though :/)

whatteverr May 6, 2014

hahha yeah! i dont watch the show but my bff those and she is like,wtf is the sun? :D so not even the people watching the show know whats it about anymore :D

jonin Apr 17, 2014

Am I the only one who's sick and tired of watching remakes - they are just too many of them... it's disappointing.
    Someone PLEASE come up with an original plot as

whatteverr May 6, 2014

yes and not just korean ones but generally they there are too many remakes out there (monk,revenge,greys anatomy-total disaster and a summer nightmare) they are never good.... even the book remakes work out anymore :/

Anusha Apr 16, 2014

Thank you for this article. Since you mentioned a BoF remake, I ofcourse had to give it a try. The full epis with eng subs are no where to be found..which was a disappointment, coz the leads look good imo. But on youtube the scenes of just the leads are uploaded without subs and I decided to check them out and am so glad I did. Firstly the chemistry btw the leads is amazing.. no its mind boggling.. I didnt get exactly what they were saying, but I cud figure out the situation and all I can say is WOW!!!Also the acting,esp the guy's is superb. Hes got the whole 'bad boy, but really with a good heart' bang on. The fact that he has an amazing bod also helped add to that image I think. And I must say there were some really cute / awesome scenes and I'll give them extra points for being original. Am also glad they tweaked the storyline a bit.. I checked out the facebook page and I also like the fact that the leads seem to have great off screen chemistry...So thanks again...

whatteverr May 6, 2014

hahahahahha i love your comment :D yeah he was cute at the beginning and the chemistry is why it ever got popular and survived in the industry but the story got so weird and repetitive that i had to stop... but i thing there are some subbed episodes on viki.com but i am not sure :)

snowrain501 Apr 8, 2014

I wasn't expecting to see an article like this here but I'm glad that you wrote this..Although I knew some of these dramas but I didn't watch them because Turkish dramas are really long and they like to drag everything..Btw I'm from Turkey too and I don't mean to disgrade my countries dramas but they're really not my type that's why I like watching Asian dramas more ^^ But still my all time favorite drama is a Turkish drama called "Gulbeyaz" and it's just 26 episodes in total! If anyone want to watch it I think viki has it with subs!

whatteverr Apr 10, 2014

I also never would disgrade the Turkish dramas,afterall they are super bug deal in the whole middle east and other muslim states... but as you said they are just so goddamned long :D

chante Apr 7, 2014

Cant find Waiting For the ?un

AlaskaDwaejiTokki Apr 7, 2014

This is actually pretty funny, I never knew about any of these.

irida_space Apr 7, 2014

Wow

CarlaSantini Apr 6, 2014

OMG. I am learning Turkish. These are the best source of audio and video I can use to practice.
    THANK YOU. :)

GABBIELEO Apr 5, 2014

omg i never knew of this !!

whatteverr Apr 4, 2014

viki has a complete subs to a drama i enjoyed a while back,you guys could check it out: http://www.viki.com/tv/4762c-kuzey-gney

Mirichan Apr 4, 2014

Actually I like watching Turkish Dramas ^~^
    And I became intersted into watching the Turkish adaption of BOF. The American version was horrible imo but I have slightly higher hopes for this one. Do you happen to know if there are any subs to it?

Thanks for the article! It was really intersting and I would have never expected that there were so many existing K-Drama adaptions in Turkey :=)

Chocobana Apr 3, 2014

Thanks for the article! It's pretty interesting.

I sometimes watch a couple episodes of Turkish dramas on TV (there are so many dubbed Turkish dramas on Arabic TV) but I can never really continue watching the series. Each season is long and the story can span several seasons which makes me very impatient.

Remakes don't work most of the time though Günesi Beklerken piqued my curiosity. Might check it out some time~

Rosie Apr 3, 2014

Thanks for this article I really enjoy finding out about other cultures :)

sagwao_o Apr 3, 2014

Waouh I didn't know there were a lot of adaptation... Interesting article!

• 0Published Posts
  • 0Total
  • 0Total Views

whatteverr's most recent articles...