5 Reasons To Watch 'The Snow Queen'

Drama Spotlight:

The Snow Queen

P4Y7rZXL_395013_f.jpg

The Snow Queen follows Han Tae Woong and Kim Bo Ra as they overcome personal tragedies and find comfort in each other. It aired in late 2006 and wrapped in January 2007. Here are five things that make The Snow Queen worth a watch:

1. Story - There are lots of things to love about this drama and all of them are made possible by the near perfect writing. Make no mistake: this is a mid-2000’s drama, so all of the tropes you love or love to hate are present. The Snow Queen manages to take all of these and weave them together with the plot, pacing, and character development, so it has a very natural feel that is easy to fall into.

Y4BQvxy3_fc92ef_f.jpg

2. Cinematography - With the recent success of shows like Goblin and Descendants of the Sun, drama fans are starting to expect sleek and beautifully shot productions. This sort of quality and attention to detail isn’t actually all that new. Filmed primarily during autumn and winter, the director uses the seasons and scenery to set a mood that is both sad and beautiful, hopeful and ominous, but most importantly subtle. You almost don’t notice it, but you certainly feel it.

D457vmoL_1bc3f2_f.jpg

3. Role reversal - The Snow Queen retains the rich, arrogant chaebol falls for poor, earnest nobody trope, but it’s rich woman/poor man, which is rare in dramaland. Rich women get a lot of play in dramas; you see them everywhere even if they aren’t the lead. Poor men, though present, don’t get explored as much, so it’s refreshing to see that. It also makes the romance all the more interesting because the leads do not end up with that familiar power imbalance.

W3ryEDvL_bf51e0_f.jpg

4. Acting Sung Yu Ri turns in one of the best performances of her career as the cold and unhappy Kim Bo Ra. As the character grows, Sung Yu Ri hits every note just as believable as the last. Her range is incredible. This character required a lot of heavy lifting and she nails it. She goes over the top without shattering the illusion. Most impressively, though, she goes subtle without being overshadowed by Hyun Bin, something that happens to his leading ladies a lot in my opinion. Not here.

jLl7kvd1_77fb1f_f.jpg

5. Hyun Bin - You might be one of the fans who was disappointed in his one post-army drama to date. If you are and you haven’t seen this, it would definitely go a long way in tiding you over until City Of Stars comes out later this year. You also might be someone who’s never seen any of his older stuff and isn’t aware that he is actually a phenomenal actor. Hyun Bin’s character starts tortured and closed off and just like Sung Yu Ri, he nails it every step of the way. With this story and this character, there were moments when it would have been easy to play him completely off the rails. Hyun Bin and the director seem to know instinctively where that line is and they cross it just enough to grab you but not so much that they lose the sincerity of the emotions.

q1X798p4_6b78c8_f.jpg

I rated The Snow Queen a 10 despite the fact that it's really not the sort of thing I usually watch and, obviously, I highly recommend it.

Poia 10 days ago

One of the first drama I watched, I was just a noob in dramaland, find out later he was Hyun Bin! I think not know anything was better, enjoy without too much expectations! Such great times.

Sayuri 11 days ago - edited

Thank you so much for writing this article! I couldn't agree more with everything you said. This drama definitely deserves more attention. I still can't believe that it aired 11 years ago given the fact that cinematography, acting and storyline were just on point and what we're used to now, but for that time it's exceptionally good (even the fashion!). Sung Yu Ri and Hyun Bin did a marvellous job in this one and just look at the picture, Hyun Bin's character is so cool there. I also loved the reference to the same named fairytale throughout the whole drama as it gives off quite an unique and somehow magical vibe.
    I'd say that it's a must watch not only for melo fans, but also for those who want to see a good romance drama in line with Nicholas Sparks love stories :)

NewKDramaAddict 11 days ago

My first Hyun Bin drama! I cried and cried and cried!! I liked it!!

Trouble-chan 11 days ago - edited

Thanks for the tip cityhunter83, I've gone off and bookmarked this to watch. :)

JEf 12 days ago

Looks like I need to watch The Snow Queen after reading this article and the raving praises from the comments here. As a fan of Hyun Bin, I'm looking forward to see him in a good drama! Thanks everyone for the recommendation!

Azarika 13 days ago

I finished this drama a couple of days ago and, knowing that it's an older drama, imagine my surprise to find such a lovely review here.
    I loved the story, the writing, Huyn Bin's character and Hyun Bin as an actor. Was really impressed by him, actually. The female lead drove me nuts for the first half of the show. The actress was believable, but Bo Ra was soooo irritating that I continued to watch only because I cared for Deuk Gu. Once Bo Ra toned down her shrillness, I started to enjoy watching her too.
    Most of all, it's the story about two broken souls driven towards each other despite everything that touched me. I found Tae Woong's storyline a lot more moving than Bo Ra's. Hyun Bin was great!
    I think I'll rewatch this drama soon - that mood that you spoke of is appealing to me and character development was very, very good for all the characters.
    Thank you for giving me an opportunity to write about a show I enjoyed!

natfrancine 13 days ago

I really like your review of this drama, it was one of the first drama I saw and really not the kind I usually like because of all the raw emotions in there... I watched this in 2010 but to this day The Snow Queen is one of the best Korean drama I've watched. If you haven't watched this I also recommend it!! But be careful, you might want to make a trip to Lapland after kkkkk

sagwao_o 13 days ago

I should watch this drama since Sung Yuri and Hyun Bin are one of my favorite actors but it seems very sad... So maybe later...

_Muffty_ 13 days ago

Brings back memories. This is what made me watch korean Dramas. It had a special feeling I can't forget. So off I go to rewatch^^

Mieun 13 days ago

Thanks for reminding me I need to finish this drama! I was watching it a few years ago and I really liked it, but then I got busy and never got around to completing it. I'll add it to my list of priorities for this year! ^^

fanitha 13 days ago

Sounds interesting! I think I'll give it a try, I have only seen Hyun Bin in Secret Garden and I liked him so much!

VishalIngle 13 days ago - edited

totally agree with the 'disappointment of his post-army drama', but the movie was good, very good.
    I've seen Secret Garden, My name is Kim sam soon, The snow queen.
    The world that they live in is on hold and i plan to watch Friend our legend.

Baya 13 days ago - edited

I'm happy to be a part of the generation that discovered and loved kdramas through My girl, Full House, Snow queen and my lovely sam soon ! Those dramas had a charm that it hard to find in the recent ones, I still remember every detail of the stories and the soudtracks were epic ! now I enjoy watching recent ones, but they don't leave a strong impact after finishing them, and the soundtracks became ordinary and repetitive, even the great cinematography can't replace the lack of depth in some of the most popupar ones.

cityhunter83 13 days ago

i think we're well into a revival. after a coupe of years of "ok but not great" i'm starting to see a lot of reason to be hopeful.

Baya 13 days ago - edited

I think so, especially with dramas like "Jealousy Incarnate", and "Please come back mister", I think that there is still hope.

Winter_ 13 days ago

one of the best, i watched years ago and can't forget it. The story was amazing and the filming too was so good!

Natty 14 days ago - edited

Because of this article you made me want to watch this drama :D Thank you for recommending it!

cityhunter83 13 days ago

You are welcome i hope you enjoy it as much as i did.

cityhunter83's most recent articles...