K-Drama Easter Eggs: Hidden Hints

K-Drama Easter Eggs: Hidden Hints

It is quite common to hide a secret message or aspect in an art work like it was in She Was Pretty (cover picture) but such hidden hints also exist in other movies and series.

WARNING: The article contains SPOILERS for the following dramas:

Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo, W-Two Worlds, You Who Came from the Stars, Dream High, I Hear Your Voice, A Gentleman's Dignity, Bring It On Ghost, and The Master's Sun.

Let's start with an example:

If you watched Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo you will remember the scene, when Lee Jong Suk suddenly is a guest of the chicken restaurant from Bok Joo’s father. A real K-Drama fan is already excited at this moment, but when Bok Joo smiles at him and says „He is in the national shooting team“, the attention of some fans will raise. You create the first links in your head. But when Kang Ki Young says this:

01eMnD71_0b804e_f.jpg

There is no doubt anymore. You get excited because you loved the drama that they give a hint to:W – Two Worlds. Both actors of the scene acted and interacted in that drama as well. That is called an „Easter Egg“.

An "Easter Egg" is a secret feature of an interactive work or an insider joke. It can also be a secret message. This term originally came from the computer gaming section. The first widely known Easter Egg of this section was created by Warren Robinett. For the Video Game "Adventure" (Atari 2600) he created a secret room containing text crediting himself for the game's creation.

But hidden messages were already common in art before the term was created. In movies, "Easter Eggs" are often used to create a hint to other movies to pay homage to the other production (mostly created by the same agency).

An other "KDrama Easter Egg" was found in You Who Came From The Stars:

VLQYM52L_a15038_f.jpg

Bae Suzy introduces herself as "Go Hye Mi“, which was her character in Dream High. So the first hint was already set. Sometimes (as you can see), a subber helps fans to recognize the insider information. It is the only moment for Bae Suzy to appear in this drama, which is also a characteristic of a "Movie - Easter Egg." The message is delivered by a popular star which often isn’t even mentioned in the cast.

Another example is hidden inI Hear Your Voice when Kim Min Jong appears as a cameo. He is a lawyer with his own law firm. The first thought comes to your mind: „How funny: He was a lawyer in A Gentleman’s Dignity as well." A moment before he left the scene, he gets a call from a certain person and the "Easter Egg" is placed:

d4vobwW1_c82b05_f.jpg

There are also other Easter Eggs hidden in K-Dramas.

For example, in Bring It On Ghost, there is a scene at the karaoke bar. Two boys sing the song „Heartbeat“ by 2PM. In this situation, Ok Taec Yeon, a member of 2PM and main actor in Bring It On Ghost says: "Today, no one is listening to something like that anymore". So he is mocking his own song.

One last example I want to give to you is the one you will find in The Master's Sun. In episode 2, they watch a TV show moderated by Kim Sang Joong. This show really exists and it is called "I want to know".

Untitled-9-450(10).jpg

So did you recognize some other Easter Eggs? How do you feel about it?

Thanks for reading!

Irene 6 days ago

In Legend of the Blue Seas Jo Jung Suk mentions that love is an incarnation of jealousy (referring to his drama Jealousy Incarnate he stars with Gong Hyo Jin)

Malu 6 days ago

Part 2 please! So enjoyable.
    I think Legend of the blue sea has some of these secret messages.

Anjaly 6 days ago

I think there is an ester egg in Gentleman 's dignity.. When jung young hwa appear . I don't remember whether it was y r beautiful or heartstrings..

fallensnowflakes 6 days ago

I thought they were call references and cameos. But I guess Easter Egg would work as well.

KellyFlower 6 days ago

In Jealousy Incarnate there's a small part where there's a reference to the drama "Pasta" with Gong Hyo Jin & Lee Sun Gyun.

and I don't think it's an easter egg but in another Miss Oh Yeon Woo Jin shows up in a scene and they play the "Marriage, Not Dating" music.

Akudie 6 days ago

in the Chinese version of 'She Was pretty" with Dilraba, there is an elevator scene where two girls say how pretty the Chinese actress Dilraba is (while she is in the elevator next to them :D)

samsoons 6 days ago

It's always good to know Meahri and her oppa are still together and happy :')

sunah 6 days ago

When you get them they're often funny and welcoming, but when you don't you're like wth was that randomness? XD

naccu 6 days ago - edited

I remember the one in my Girlfriend is a Gumiho, where Park Shin Hye has a cameo as her character from You're Beautiful!!!

Also in Introverted Boss, you have the couple from Another Miss Oh (the noona romance, not the main couple)!

There are more but for some reason I can't remember them right now... :/

Hmm also, I don't know if this counts as an easter egg but in Chief Kim, Junho's character says he can't sing even though in reality he is an idol xD I think it was intentional haha

Dana1004 6 days ago

I also didn't know that those were Easter eggs...I always thought that they are REAL eggs hidden in the screen somewhere XD
    But yeah, i got all of the inside ''jokes'' without even needing the explanation
    Thanks for amazing article ^^

Elisa 6 days ago - edited

Oh! I didn't know those were called Easter eggs. Great article. i think there is one in Kaitou Tanteo Yamaneko but Im not sure since one of the character talking doesn't have any role in the drama, she only appears to make a reference of Nobuta wo produce. There are also a few other one in this drama but again, im not sure :)

Flow Sufmoe 6 days ago

I'd like to add that in Pinocchio, Attorney Cha from I hear your voice makes an appearance as Ki Jae Myung's attorney in one of the epilogues xD

lulu_fox 7 days ago

I want more of these!! So fun

HappySqueak 7 days ago

I luv these!! Not an easter egg at all, but in Drinking Solo one teacher is always doing character impersonations. He references other drama characters and cosplays as them. I enjoyed all his scenes, he did a DOTS one and his comedic timing was great. It was not on the sly at all, but a fun shout out to other dramas

real_Mokona's most recent articles...