I notice this in cdrama, especially contemporary dramas that take place in cities. The sky is never blue, always like this omni-gray fog.

Is this usual everywhere in China, or just in cities where pollution is high? Or is this even pollution, or is this actually some sort of natural fog/mist? Maybe both? hmmm..

I don't think I could live somewhere you couldn't see a blue clear sky.

I've never been to China but I think that you are correct, it's because of the smog. Most large cities all over the world have pollution problems. Los Angeles has days where the city is covered in smog. But from everything I have read China is one of the worst nations for pollution so I would't be surprised if they have more smog than other places in general.

Not seeing the clear blue bright sky must have a psychological impact. I think living in this constant smog is like just living indoors in a artifical living environment almost.
They don't see the sun, and they don't see the moon, and the stars.

It also can really screw your lungs up. I feel bad for people who have to deal with smog regularly. I wish the world would take more drastic measures to combat pollution. I try to do my part as an individual (thrifting, recycling, using compostable products,  and trying to slowly transition to low/zero waste) but it feels like it doesn’t matter when the biggest polluters, large corporations, don’t make any effort at all. Sorry to get so depressing. 😆