Whenever I watch Cdrama, it is a huge chance you can find  spanish/portugese comments.   Not only Cdrama but Kdrama as well. 

I am just curious. Please tell me the reason. 

It's a huge population, not only Spain and Portugal, but pretty much all of South America/Latin America.

That's around 750 million people that speak those languages as 1st language.

I'm mexican and I've been in kdrama's community for lots of years, I can tell you why. In Latinoamerica the kdramas full of cliches and overdramatics are more popular, maybe because are similar to soap operas from here, but in Asia aren't that tragic, cliche and shorter. Also, some kdramas are spanish dubbed and broadcast on TV and became VERY popular, for example Stairway to Heaven and Boys Before Flowers. But nowadays Cdramas are more similar to those classic dramas that are focused on romance and very simple stories. 

Also, Cdramas are more avaliable than kdramas, (of course there's a lot of illegal websites) and even when almost everyone has Netflix, lots of Cdramas are in Youtube and it's very easy to translate when there's eng subs. And there's the fact that we use Viki here but (i know that for sure) a very few people buy Standard or Plus because spanish subs are very late (even with popular dramas are 4 or 5 days late) so since anyone wants to pay for that everyone use it to watch the free dramas that are mostly Cdramas

ArniA:

It's a huge population, not only Spain and Portugal, but pretty much all of South America/Latin America.

That's around 750 million people that speak those languages as 1st language.

Yeah but I don't find many Spanish comments on Hollywood movies/western series. When I watch Cdrama on Youtube, the first comment is Spanish. 

I'm Spanish, and can only speak for myself. I began my cdrama journey because most national and western tv/streaming dramas are too explicit, dark and tragic for my taste. So in my quest to learn about other cultures one day I decided to also start searching for comedies or light-hearted dramas from other cultures. I fell in love with quite a few of the cdramas I've seen, and I've been following it ever since.

Other two very important reasons why I prefer all the cdramas I've watched over western shows are their very morally grounded characters and themes, and the way the cdramas I've watched depict the kind of love that I most associate with. This last bit is hard for me to explain; let's say that when I fall in love, the mental process would resemble one of the cdramas I've watched far, far more than a netflix show.

This is to say, not all of my country's dramas are dark and explicit. We do have some very pleasant shows. But I have always needed to live in a world of stories and cdramas do help immensely with that.
I should also say, I'm the only person I know who watches cdramas from my real life microcosms. I think probably most of the Spanish comments are probably from America, given that Spain (an entire country) has a population of 47m, and over 126m people live in Mexico (Spanish) and 214m in Brazil (Portuguese) alone.

There is a lot of Spanish (especially - also hi, Spanish is my 3rd language and I often reply to Spanish comments in Spanish) and Portuguese speakers so there is just bound to be some overlap between them and cdrama/kdrama watchers. 

Also, but this is just my observation, they seem more likely (more confident?) to comment in their native language rather than using English like other (most?) non-native English speakers would.

katherine197:

There is a lot of Spanish (especially - also hi, Spanish is my 3rd language and I often reply to Spanish comments in Spanish) and Portuguese speakers so there is just bound to be some overlap between them and cdrama/kdrama watchers. 

Also, but this is just my observation, they seem more likely (more confident?) to comment in their native language rather than using English like other (most?) non-native English speakers would.

That is true, and I could be very wrong about this, but maybe they don't study English as a second language.

Tbh I think Asian dramas are a bit similar to Portuguese telenovelas. Especially melodramas. Telenovela is not meant to be a bad definition, there are a lot of good shows that are classified as telenovelas in Portugal and Brazil (I have no knowledge of Spanish productions, sorry).

So it is somewhat similar but also different lol

As a brazilian I can talk about Brazil, it started with the animes and japanese mangas, slowly the female community that watched animes start watching kdramas, more specifically Boys Over Flowers, in the beginning only fansub was available and watching kdramas was popular only among people from asian forums. After kpop popularity people started watching the kdramas from their kpop stars, discovering Viki and finally watching kdramas and cdramas became really popular. With Netflix, Meteor Garden and Ashes of Love became a hit in Brazil, and with portuguese dubbing the mothers and fathers of the girls started watching it too, males watching with their girlfriends. Mothers say they can let their teens and pre teens watch korean and chinese dramas because they don’t show explicit and improper things, so it happened naturally as telenovelas are each year more dark and sexual.

I'm from Hungary and a lots of hungarian fans are watching C-dramas. We are a small country, but the fans are really many. :)

Me too find  C-dramas r easily available at YouTube with eng sub.  that cud be the one of the main reason

Whenever I go to youtube for ost in cdramas, it is always full of latin americans comments for some reason.

Afaik what sets cdrama apart the most from other country dramas is the very strict censorship. Like if you're a parent, then letting kids to watch only cdramas is the safest, the romance and costumes in general is very conservative.  Almost all characters only sleep with one person ever. Sex scenes is like, two people jumping on a bed then cover both in blanket then it just fades away. Sometimes you see em throw maybe a piece or 2 clothing from inside the blanket. Another example would be in scenes like, "guy covers their eyes when accidentally see a girl in the bathroom," in cdrama the girl will be basically fully covered like no cleavage no thigh nothing but then the male actor act like he's seen something indecent lol. Some dramas you just see kisses and then in last episode fast forward where they suddenly have kids. There are even romance dramas with no real kisses because one of the actor has no kissing clause.