I wonder if the investing of Netflix in the Kdrama production will affect the stories to be more "american' or do you think Kdrama will still be able to create a "korean" drama?

I truely hope it stays Korean.

I think it absolutely has, and I’m really not into it. 

according to your question,... ChatGPT says:

At the time of my knowledge cutoff, Netflix had already made significant investments in Korean dramas (K-dramas) and had become a major player in distributing K-dramas globally. While Netflix's involvement could have some influence on the production and storytelling aspects, it is important to note that K-dramas have their distinct characteristics and cultural elements that have garnered international popularity.

K-dramas are known for their unique storytelling style, character development, and exploration of various themes rooted in Korean culture and society. This has been a significant part of their appeal to both domestic and international audiences. As such, it is likely that K-drama producers and creators will continue to prioritize maintaining the essence of Korean storytelling, even with Netflix's involvement.

While Netflix may have certain expectations or preferences for certain elements in their productions, they have shown a commitment to working with local talent and production companies, allowing them creative freedom. Many K-dramas on Netflix have still retained their Korean identity and have not been significantly altered to conform to a more "American" style. In fact, some K-dramas have gained even more popularity and recognition through their exposure on the platform.

However, it is important to acknowledge that as the industry evolves and global collaborations increase, there may be some subtle influences or changes in storytelling styles as different cultures merge. These changes could be seen as a natural part of the creative process and adapting to a global audience. Nonetheless, it is expected that K-drama will continue to have its distinct flavor and maintain its appeal by staying true to its cultural roots while incorporating elements of international storytelling.

The amount of content needed means there has to some cross fertilisation of money, and resources. The largest market in hours is probably Asia, so there is always going to a need to supply that market,and maybe it may end up there are several cuts of the same drama. If you look at some of the other companies like iQIYI, it seems to realised the spread of the market.

When I first started watching kdrama it was to give my brain a rest, during covid it was nice to escape a bit, but it can be a bit like watching 1960's Doris Day movies, a little too much sugar, and working with in the 1930's Hays code, but at the same time you can show terrible brutality, bulling etc and a high body count.

Yes and no. 

Formats definitely became more "American" because of Netflix. Shorter episodes, fewer episodes, split releases, seasons, episodic series. 

But for stories, it's not so clear. The shows from a decade ago were more romcoms and now there are more shows with dark themes. But movies back then had plenty of dark themes and they're  "Korean" too.

Interesting that you brought this up, as I was going through this forum to see if anyone else thinks like me. I can’t seem to get into most of the Netflix produced Kdramas, with exceptions being: Mr. Sunshine, Rookie Historian, and Extraordinary Attorney Woo. It seems to me that the others are ”Americanized” and  Netflix producers are exerting too much influence on the story. I keep trying and dropping them after 4 episodes or so. It’s sad. 

Currently watching destined with you kdrama, it does not have that Korean feel to it for me. Visuals, sound all that I have come to accept in Kdrama. The OST sounds westernized too. Hate it when good things get ruined.