I don't know the answer but I'm asking if anyone has a recommendation.

I haven't tried any Asian languages yet but I've learned other but they were so frustrating.
  • Have to be patient
  • Difficult to check the pronunciation
  • Pronunciations come for dramas mainly (due to location)
  • Looks NOTHING like your language at all
The problems just keep adding up (╯°□°)╯

I would consider myself fairly studious when learning a foreign language, does anyone have a recommendation? I can't decide between Mandarin, Korean, and Japanese.

Can't decide between Mandarin, Korean, and Japanese...which one?

Korean has the easiest writing system, but it can be difficult to pronounce. Korean grammar is also different from English.  Korean has a a lot of formality so you kinda have to learn how to talk both formally and informally or else you may offend someone.

Japanese has the hardest writing system in the world because it's three written languages together. Pronouncing Japanese isn't very difficult but Japanese also has a  a formal  aspect. 

Mandarin is one of the most spoken languages in the world. The pronunciation is incredibly difficult because it is a tonal language so if you pronounce one word with the wrong tone, you might end up insulting your mother.  The writing system is also pretty difficult just because it's characters and each character is pretty unique. However, the grammar in Chinese is pretty easy. 

It really depends on you. If you want to learn a language for a TV show, learn that language. If you want to learn a language that's easy, good luck. If you want to learn a language that can get you ahead, then it depends on where you want to go.  I am an american born Chinese so i know a little Chinese. Each language is unique in its own way so it's really up to you. 

As Huang_Fudou stated, Korean is the easiest with writing. If you watch a majority of Korean dramas and have picked up some words as well, you might find it's overall easier for you than the other two. I've tried all three and picked up Korean the quickest since the grammar is logical, the writing is easy, and the pronunciation I've heard so much that it didn't pose a problem.

Both Korean and Japanese use essentially the same grammar structures, even with their formality levels, so you won't see too much of a difference there. But Japanese's writing system is definitely a rough one, while their pronunciation is the easiest.

Chinese is all-around difficult is you ask me, since if you want to truly learn it, you'll have to learn a lot of characters and their pronunciation. If you're good with tonal languages, you might not have too much of a problem with speaking though, since the grammar is pretty straightforward unlike Korean and Japanese grammar.

I'm learning both Japanese and Korean at the moment, so I'll just give you the idea of what you should be expecting. 

First of all, the above three languages are considered to be the toughest and therefore, fall into the high difficulty category than other languages say, French for an instance. So, they do require some extra hardwork. 

Japanese writing system isn't that hard if we are talking about Katakana and Hiragana. They are relatively easier to learn. It's Kanji that is a bit harder because these are Chinese characters . So, this one needs more practice. But the pronunciation is easy! And you can go slow with the kanji if you are learning it as a hobby! The grammar gets complex after you start getting deeper into the language. And this goes for Korean grammar as well, although, if you watch Korean or Japanese content it will help you alot to catch up! You can still learn upto the beginners level without much difficulty (^∇^)ノ♪

Korean characters are the easiest out of these three, but the pronunciation can be hard (at least it was for me xD) the grammar is easy but gets complex with each level.

Chinese characters are hard. We are talking about kanji as basic alphabets xD but I've heard that the grammar is easy! so, you can try and check out their characters to see which one feels easier for you to start with (✿^‿^) learning a language is tough but also fun! so it's alright if you are feeling stuck. I swear I feel like I won't be able to do it sometimes lol but take your time with it and you'll be fine!

Good luck!

I agree with the previous comments. If I will rank them it's 1. Korean, 2. Japanese 3. Chinese

Once you know Korean, it will be an advantage for learning Japanese as they have similar grammar structure and once you know Japanese, it will be easier to learn Chinese as you already know Kanji (chinese characters)

So start with Korean! It's the easiest! For me, I learned the alphabet in just a day! I learned the grammar pretty fast too, thanks to talktomeinkorean. I highly suggest them! The grammar is easy.. what took me long was the collection of vocabulary haha but reading korean articles and translating each word by word helped! I'm currently learning Japanese and I'm so glad I learned korean first!

I hope you have decided by now ^^ Good luck!

Well, learn the one which interests you the most!

I am a native Cantonese speaker, however used to not know how to read and write in Chinese, don't have any basics in Japanese and Korean. Tried to self learn Japanese, French and German but dropped them not long after I started  because I don't really find it interesting. Not that the languages are  not good, I mean, they were used by many around the world, so they must be useful in some ways. It's just that I don't find my interest growing in them, so ended up dropping all of them.

So, I'll just share some of my experiences on learning Chinese.  I only received formal educations on English and Malay, so I learned Chinese mostly through daily conversations with friends, listening songs and watching dramas. It was not a short process, took me about 5 years. But I didn't really 'study' the language, just tried to use it as much as possible in my daily life. Now that if I tell my friend that I have never attend classes on Chinese before, no one would believe that.

The pronunciation was easy to pick up for me, guess speaking Cantonese for years did helped. As for the reading and writing, I still can't write many words manually, I can read and type them out though. This is because recognising the characters was relatively easy too but to remember where every stroke goes in the characters are very difficult. It is so difficult to correctly write the characters by hand that I can translate an entire episode of drama from Chinese to English and I still couldn't be 100% sure on what I wrote by hand is correct. There are just too many combinations of strokes. As mentioned by many, the grammar for this language is easy, at least, when compared with English and Malay imho. 

If you really don't know which one to choose, maybe just start to learn all three. You will find yourself dropping some of them and what's left is the one that you like. If you ended up dropping all of them, maybe it's time to consider another language. 

P.s. My sister learned Japanese after she gained some basics in Chinese and she found it relatively easy to learn. I am not sure if this applies if one learn Japanese first then Chinese though.

Anyway, best of luck in the learning process! It is a really fun process. Interest in the language is very important, just don't force yourself to learn a language which you don't find beautiful.

I learned all three of them in the following order: Japanese (4 years), Korean (4 years), Chinese (1 year). I would agree with most of the things the other commenters said before me, but with some slight variations. 

I don't find the Korean alphabet as easy as everyone claims it to be. Of course, it's an alphabet (an abugida actually), so it is easier to learn than Hanzi for example but the Korean orthography has some tricky rules that remind me a bit of French with their silent letters and end sounds that are pronounced completely different. To this day I have problems writing words correctly as I am always wondering if there is a silent h or s at the end of the syllable (reading is fine though).

Japanese still comes easiest to me, maybe because it was the first I learned out of these three. The pronunciation is definitely the easiest one though. And you can work your way around any Kanji you don't know how to write by using Hiragana. ^^ No luck with that when writing Chinese...

Both Korean and Japanese have very complex grammar systems, which are very similar to each other. So no matter which you learn first, the other one is way simpler after that.

I found Chinese to be the easiest to learn out of these three as the grammar is ridiculously simple in comparison and I have a good ear for repeating words as they are said to me so I never struggled with the tones. But that very much depends on the type of learner you are. I am an acoustic type, that is why watching dramas helps me a lot to practice.

But the Hanzi are my crucifix. I have massive problems remembering these, but the same goes for Japanese Kanji, so there is that.

Basically which language is the best for you depends on three factors:

1. your native language (and which other languages you have learned before): As your location are the US I would assume English as your native language. That means there is no advantage to any of the languages. If your native language would be a tonal language, Chinese would probably come easier to you for example.

2. your learning type: Do you like studying the grammar first before you construct a sentence or do you find it easier to model it after an example sentence? Is reading and writing your thing or are you happier talking to people and picking up new things from there?

3. your interest: I would argue that this is the most important point as it keeps your motivation up. Why do you want to learn a language? To understand dramas? Then pick the language most of the dramas you watch are in. You see yourself travelling to one of these countries in the near future? Pick that language first. 

I hope you can choose one language with the help from all the tips found in this thread. Let us know which one you pick...

As a language teacher and polyglot, I have little to add to what the others have so aptly written about the characteristics and difficulties of each of those languages. The only extra input being: follow your heart (aka "trust your gut"). Learning a language, regardless of its difficulty, will be made a lot easier by your personal interest in said language, in that particular country, in its culture etc., whereas if all those motivations aren't there, even the easiest of languages won't be easy to learn...^___-

I haven't read through all of the answers so I don't know if someone has already answered this exact same thing. 

It may sound very basic but my advice is that you choose the language you would use the most. If you listen to that country's music, watch its dramas and movies, have any interest in travelling for a long time or living there for a while, or want to make any friends of that nationality, then that's the language you should choose. 

You need to have a reason to learn it because the initial motivation will disappear eventually, it happens every time one tries to learn a language.

Personally, I'm learning Korean, because I lived there for a year but also because it aligns more with my interests. I would love to eventually learn Japanese but I don't think I will cause there's not real motivation behind it besides thinking the language, culture and country are cool, I don't watch animes, barely watch Jdramas or Jmovies, don't listen to J-Music, don't have Japanese friends and don't have any plans of moving there as of now. 

I'm learning Japanese

along with a bit of mandarin and maybe korean but i'm focusing on Jpanese

I haven't tried to learn Chinese (Mandarin) or Japanese except for picking up a few basic words from dramas. However, I'm trying to learn Korean through kdramas. 

I am finding it easier that way to pick up words since they keep repeating them. Often times they will repeat one key word from a sentence as a reaction so you can pick up that word easily out from a sentence with the translation as subtitles. Make a notes section in your phone or start a notebook and divide words in different categories. Keep repeating them. 

Korean consonants are fairly easy to learn. I struggle with the vowels as they sound too similar.

My plan is that once I build my base of 500 words and possibly even phrases, I can start focusing on the grammar and sentence structure. I'm close to 100 at the moment. 

I can't say if this is the right way to learn a language since in the past I've learnt in order - alphabets, numbers, words, phrases, grammar. However, this method is more interesting to me. 

The most important aspect to learning anything new including a language is what keeps you motivated or interested to learn. Then even something difficult becomes easy. So go for whichever language you feel drawn to the most. 

i am learning chinese/mandarin