Seen folks dropping dramas after watching a few episodes, and some dropping at half way point or more, and wondering if there is an objective point to not hold and just simply drop a drama? https://mydramalist.com/discussions/general-asia-forum/33226-last-drama-you-dropped

1. Some dramas are confusing in the first 1-2 episodes, especially dramas with an ensemble cast, with an influx of many characters in the first few episodes. I would even say that actually most dramas are confusing in the first episode, as viewers know nothing about the plot and the characters.
  2. Some dramas are late bloomer dramas that start slow, but pick up as the dramas progress, and eventually turn out to be really enjoyable after all. Of course, there are also dramas that start very promising, but gets draggy and repetitive and not enjoyable after all.
  3. Dramas also vary in the number of episodes: Typical kdramas are around 16 episodes while typical cdramas are around 40 episodes.

Thus, for a late-bloomer drama with an ensemble cast and more episodes, dropping it after a few episodes may sometimes mean eventually missing a brilliant drama. So shouldn't we hold and try to watch a few more episodes before actually dropping it? 

If yes, how long should one hold and how many more episodes to watch before one can objectively decide to finally drop a drama series? Hold for a month, 6 months, a year, 2 years, 5 years?  And to watch as least 20% of a drama series before finally dropping it?

@MDL Can MDL add a time stamp on when we put a drama on-hold on our watchlist?

I have tried so hard but managed to watched 4 episodes of a 12-episode kdrama after several tries over 9 months, but it just never hooked and i eventually dropped it.

I have also been encouraged at 3/16 of a kdrama to continue watching, but ended up speeding through with the fast forward button perhaps more than 50% of the time until the end of the drama, and still found the drama to not be my cup of tea.

What is your experience and view on whether if there is an objective point to not hold and to just drop a drama, so that a good drama is given enough time to draw one in, and we do not end up missing a good drama? 

The moment to drop a drama is when you aren’t enjoying watching it and don’t think you’re going to enjoy the rest either. So it could be the 1st episode or the 21st or whichever. 

I drop dramas or stop watching them after episode 2, if they are boring or cant get on with the plot i instantly stop.

When the first few eps doesn't grab my attention or I'm just too lazy to start it.. 

there are exceptions though where it gets better at the halfway point so it is worth sticking around, like with SKY Castle I wasn't that impressed with the beginning episodes but I was pretty addicted to it by the end of ep 8 

I'll drop anything real quick. I can easily drop a drama after only watching 10-15 minutes. I just don't care. I think pick should learn to skim through the drama. The good dramas will always make you watch every scene, but poorly written ones, you can easily skim through and understand everything. 

Another thing is, sometimes you aren't in the mood or ready for a drama. I've dropped some dramas multiple times and ended up picking it back up only to enjoy it.  For example, The Untamed. I dropped that drama legit 7-8 times before picking it up one last time and ended up enjoying it.

Hmmm looks like most users drop as soon as one doesnt enjoy the drama and it doesnt matter to most that this might mean missing a really good drama? Is it because there are too many dramas around to choose from?

i wont want to miss a really good drama, but neither do i want to spend time watching a drama that i wont end up enjoying. While there might be many dramas to choose from, really good dramas are hard to come by. Is there like an objective rule of thumb of when to totally drop a drama, so one doesn't end up missing a really good drama which one may not enjoy or found boring initially?

Sunset:

When the first few eps doesn't grab my attention or I'm just too lazy to start it.. 

there are exceptions though where it gets better at the halfway point so it is worth sticking around, like with SKY Castle I wasn't that impressed with the beginning episodes but I was pretty addicted to it by the end of ep 8 

@Sunset: Any thoughts on when to consider exceptions, and for Sky Castle, what made you continue even though you werent impressed with the beginning episodes?

Wandering_Queen:
Another thing is, sometimes you aren't in the mood or ready for a drama. I've dropped some dramas multiple times and ended up picking it back up only to enjoy it. For example, The Untamed. I dropped that drama legit 7-8 times before picking it up one last time and ended up enjoying it.

@Wandering_Queen: What happens if this one last time you still didnt enjoy like the previous legit 7-8 times, wont it mean missing a drama that you actually would have enjoyed?

whatever:
What happens if this one last time you still didnt enjoy like the previous legit 7-8 times, wont it mean missing a drama that you actually would have enjoyed?

No, that just means you didn't like nor was able to get hooked into the drama. That's perfectly fine. There is no rule that forces us to watch dramas. They are there for pleasure only.

One must understand that the tag "good" or " bad" is very relative, varies  from the perspective of a person to person!
In my personal opinion, if 2-3 consecutive episodes of a certain drama dont fill your mind, start skipping scenes and try to see if any particular plot or curiosity can hold you for another 2-3 episodes! If it still fails then no need to judge it as good or bad, its just incompatible with your taste. Such 2-3 episodes can appear anytime, even can be in middle of a drama! If you are very much curious about the ending of a good plot but cant withstand with the drama production then just read the spoilers or the story online. That will fill your mind and will also save your time!

I try out many dramas for 10-15 minutes and if they seem too standard and superficial I choose not to start watching. But that's different from dropping. Oftentimes the more worthwhile dramas really use the first 2 episodes to lay down the background of the characters thoroughly. Then it would be a mistake to drop. Mr. Sunshine is one good example, Chocolate is another one.  

Many dramas are very good for the first 6 episodes and then start dragging and being very repetitive. Those dramas run out of material and are just streched to 16 episodes. I find myself wanting to drop usually around the 9th or 10th episode. So I guess around 8th episode would the optimal time to drop.

Because I find dropping at 12th or 13th rather difficult, considering the time already spent. So mostly I just fast forward the last episodes.  

Very few dramas get better on the second half. Wok of Love is a rare example (haven't watched SKY Castle yet, so it's good to know it's one of those).  And a rare example of a drama where the 1st episode is hairrraisingly awful but which is actually quite good, Don't Dare to Dream (Jealousy Incarnate). 

All in all, I just don't want to miss out on good  or great dramas and that's why this conversation is  very meaningful.

For me, I put shows to "Dropped" when I can't find raws for them or lose interest. As for "On-Hold", I shows that I tend to re-visit again (whenever that may be) or save it for when it's closer to the airing end date so I can pick it back up.

Cool_As_Always:
One must understand that the tag "good" or " bad" is very relative, varies from the perspective of a person to person!
In my personal opinion, if 2-3 consecutive episodes of a certain drama dont fill your mind, start skipping scenes and try to see if any particular plot or curiosity can hold you for another 2-3 episodes! If it still fails then no need to judge it as good or bad, its just incompatible with your taste.

There are quite ample times where even the same person's view can change episode to episode, and it will be such a pity if one happens to choose filler episodes. Also 2-3 episodes are substantial for a 16-episode kdrama, compared to a 40-episode cdrama.  Nevertheless, it's worth a try than simply dropping a drama after the initial episodes.

roddib:
Oftentimes the more worthwhile dramas really use the first 2 episodes to lay down the background of the characters thoroughly. Then it would be a mistake to drop. Mr. Sunshine is one good example, Chocolate is another one.

Many dramas are very good for the first 6 episodes and then start dragging and being very repetitive. Those dramas run out of material and are just streched to 16 episodes. I find myself wanting to drop usually around the 9th or 10th episode. So I guess around 8th episode would the optimal time to drop.

Because I find dropping at 12th or 13th rather difficult, considering the time already spent. So mostly I just fast forward the last episodes.

Thank you for finding this conversation useful. Agree with your points on initial episodes for character and world building for the dramas and dramas dragging out in the middle. The latter is very common even for thrillers. Dropping at 8 out of 16 episodes is dropping almost at midpoint, and i will likely push through to the end, with fast forwarding.

Aimer_is_life:
For me, I put shows to "Dropped" when I can't find raws for them or lose interest. As for "On-Hold", I shows that I tend to re-visit again (whenever that may be) or save it for when it's closer to the airing end date so I can pick it back up.

I dropped shows only when i am convinced myself that i will not watch them anymore. However if certain parts of a show annoyed me (eg. u data case for Taxi Driver), i will put the show on-hold instead of dropping. Though, this has been on-hold for a few months now, and i have started and completed a number of new shows since.. i wonder myself if i will pick up Taxi Driver again soon...

Wish Upon A Star:
There are quite ample times where even the same person's view can change episode to episode, and it will be such a pity if one happens to choose filler episodes. Also 2-3 episodes are substantial for a 16-episode kdrama, compared to a 40-episode cdrama.  Nevertheless, it's worth a try than simply dropping a drama after the initial episodes.

true! thats why I have mentioned that try to forward some scenes for more 2-3 episodes and look into if any sudden plot / topic make you hold onto it! That may cover the time requirement for 40-50 episodes drama. I almost never dropped a drama on first episode unless its entirely different theme I was looking for at that moment with the mood I had. I tried to put "on-hold" tag for some dramas, but for me at least i never feel like to look back to them again and with time they naturally get in my "dropped list" while the "plan to watch" list is piling up on the other hand :D  

Also, if u fear/worry always : u cant enjoy: true for drama and also true for life. My experience says: don't be so much hard upon yourself because u are worried of loosing "an awesome plot". At the end of the day, we all come to drama because we need some entertainment in our respective busy unfair hard life, and to live in fantasy. Here one should breath easily, freely without any hard and fast thumb rule.  :)

One easy way is to make your highly interested at-least 2-3 "plan to watch list " readily available right after whatever you are watching ;)

when I don't even know why I'm watching it and/or if the story is bad 

It really depends on you when you want to put it on hold or when you want to drop it.

Some dramas can start off great and then start to drag in the middle before picking up again towards the end. Others can start poorly but eventually get better so there is no right answer on how many episodes one should watch to know how a drama will turn out. Plus, there are so many different episode length dramas.

I have dropped dramas if they were of the comedy genre but I didn't enjoy the style of comedy or if the episodes immediately started to drag and I couldn't connect with the story. Though it's very rare for me to drop a drama, especially an on-going one. I have dropped 1 drama because it was too violent for me and the other had a torture scene so I did not feel like continuing and both dramas were enjoyed by the masses but were a difficult watch for me.

Dramas I put on hold are the kind that are good but I have too many other on-going dramas that I want to watch first. Or maybe the first episode didn't appeal to me but others have recommended that I give it a try. Or sometimes I may not like the initial mood of the drama but I'm still curious enough to try completing it.

Just be honest with yourself. If there is some motivation to watch the drama, put it on hold for now. If you feel it's a torture or is putting you to sleep or is not the kind of drama you enjoy, drop it. There are just endless shows for you to watch that you'll never get to. Why bother forcing yourself to enjoy something you don't like? Don't be pressured by anyone to like something. We're all different. :)