Hello guys, i started watching k dramas etc.  I have this problem that i don't seem to like chinese languague  or i would say prononciation. So guys what do you think after some time i'll be able to witstand it?

I am the most used to japanese(because of anime). Korean language is also cute and I like it. Only problem I have is that some korean words sound similar to japanese and it had been confusing me (gomawa(thanks) sounds like konbanha(good evening), hajima (don't do) sounds like hajime (beginning)) :D

Chinese language is not confusing at all for me... Except 'nihao' I don't understand any words. It sounds a bit childish (no offense to chinese drama watchers) - they use a lot of 'sh' and 'ch' sounds. When I was watching my first cdrama 'Love O2O' , voices sounded weird. But later I got used to it and quite liked it. 

So you might withstand it too. But it is good (for the first watching) to find some good drama that you will really enjoy.

kardasx:

I am the most used to japanese(because of anime). Korean language is also cute and I like it. Only problem I have is that some korean words sound similar to japanese and it had been confusing me (gomawa(thanks) sounds like konbanha(good evening), hajima (don't do) sounds like hajime (beginning)) :D

Chinese language is not confusing at all for me... Except 'nihao' I don't understand any words. It sounds a bit childish (no offense to chinese drama watchers) - they use a lot of 'sh' and 'ch' sounds. When I was watching my first cdrama 'Love O2O' , voices sounded weird. But later I got used to it and quite liked it. 

So you might withstand it too. But it is good (for the first watching) to find some good drama that you will really enjoy.

Thanks, for your opinion can you recommend some good c dramas?

I can't recommend much, because I am at the beggining with them. 

But I can recommend these:

Jasmine Flowers - short movie/advertisment with leads of Love O2O

Love O2O - this was 1st cdrama I watched. If you find it boring at start, it gets really better after ep. 9.

Other people recommend this: The Romance of Tiger and Rose , but I have not seen it yet.

Languages are a bit like marmite. I took ages to get used to Korean and now i think its a beautiful language. The more you listen the more you like it. I now prefer Korean and Chinese over Japanese and like many of us, it was my first 'foreign' language to learn outside of school via anime.

As for Chinese, mainland dramas are mostly dubbed. This is all to do with the large variation of dialects within China. You have to get used to it unfortunately. If you want something that isn't dubbed to get used to, you might be better trying a Taiwanese drama. Still speak in Manadarin but most are not dubbed.

A good Chinese drama to start with is love me if you dare but it does entirely depend on which genres that you like. Chinese love their Wuxia and historical dramas.

I have a huge catalogue under my belt so, if you give me some hints on what sort of dramas you like to watch, I can recommend some.

oppalover87:

Languages are a bit like marmite. I took ages to get used to Korean and now i think its a beautiful language. The more you listen the more you like it. I now prefer Korean and Chinese over Japanese and like many of us, it was my first 'foreign' language to learn outside of school via anime.

As for Chinese, mainland dramas are mostly dubbed. This is all to do with the large variation of dialects within China. You have to get used to it unfortunately. If you want something that isn't dubbed to get used to, you might be better trying a Taiwanese drama. Still speak in Manadarin but most are not dubbed.

A good Chinese drama to start with is love me if you dare but it does entirely depend on which genres that you like. Chinese love their Wuxia and historical dramas.

I have a huge catalogue under my belt so, if you give me some hints on what sort of dramas you like to watch, I can recommend some.

Thanks for your opinion. So yeah i like action-romance dramas like Healer, Lawless Lawyer etc. But i don't mind only where's romance.

I still have a hard time to withstand Chinese dramas some time, because 80% of the Chinese drama are dubbed with other Chinese voice actors (or even the same actors!), and it sound over the top and out of sync. Specially when there are children dubbed by a squawky speaking 30 year old voice actor....

The youtuber AvenueX made a video about why 80% of c-dramas are dubbed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcRYGmzcWv8 

Basically they do it to save money. Taiwanese shows rarely do dubbing, also they don't do cheap CGI, they just avoid expensive scenes or cheap CGI all together, so i stick with Taiwanese show these days ^^

Lietuvishuh:

Hello guys, i started watching k dramas etc.  I have this problem that i don't seem to like chinese languague  or i would say prononciation. So guys what do you think after some time i'll be able to witstand it?

The aural aesthetics of a language are entirely subjective, "the ear likes what it likes". I quite like the sound of Mandarin, but have never been able to get used to Cantonese, which has meant I can't get into HK content. There are other languages I don't like the sound of but since it is all about nothing more than personal taste, I'm not going to risk offending anyone by naming them here. 

I agree with those who mention dubbing as a bigger problem. The CCP's ruthless insistence on pretending that all 1.4 billion citizens of the PRC speak only ONE language with ONE accent, instead of several distinct languages with countless regional accents, means that many, many C Dramas are plagued by ludicrously inapt voices plastered over top of the actor's real voices. In some Dramas, DIFFERENT dubbers even voice the SAME character in different episodes, and that's REALLY annoying. Like others, my first Mandarin-language Dramas were TW, in large part because they don't dub.  Watching good quality TW Dramas may help you get used to Mandarin before taking the leap into C Dramas, where 80% of female characters are voiced by females sounding like 8 year old falsettos. :(

After few months I got used to chinese language well. I only don't like dubbing... original voices are better. But sometimes dubbing is not too terrible. 

Love O2O - voices were weird, but it was my first cdrama, so I thought that it is normal. But after watching other dramas, I realized how terrible it really was here.

My Girldriend is an Alien - this is also dubbed, but voices here were quite good. But I like original voices more anyway. Wan Peng has nice voice (you can hear it in currectly airing drama Crush). So it is a pity to dub her.

I didn't like Mandarin for the first several dramas I watched, but I'm slowly picking some of the language up, and that's making it easier. It's not as hard to learn as I made it out to be.  When I started watching Cdramas, I had no idea that voices were dubbed. Now, when I'm cursing a character for having a whiny, childish voice, I know to blame the voice actor (avoid Cdrama "Moonlight". FL's voice is so childishly whiny and high pitched, you'd just like to pick up a ruler and whack her with it.)

I love the sound of Korean, but I'm having a very hard time learning it because of the shifts between formal and informal use. 

Weirdly, the language I find the easiest to learn but sounds the most awful is Thai. Many characters speak through their noses (intentionally, I think) and they all sound like they've got colds.  Ugh.  Plus, you have to get past how maddening it is that the female characters refer to themselves using their own full name but not the male characters. Thai is a language that puts a lot of stress on politeness, so their speech is full of courtesy titles and unnecessary sentence particles (ending sentences with "ka", if you're female, for instance.)

I have the same problem, I can't stand the language. I mean no disrespect, it just sounds awful to my ears. I even researched possible reasons and I learned that many people have a problem with it because it relies heavily on intonation.

I started with J dramas and when I started watching K dramas I didnt have any trouble adjusting, it's just Chinese dramas. And mostly Mainland China. I can watch Taiwanese dramas fairly well, I always thought maybe they spoke a different 'type' of Chinese, I understand there are variants? 

Then again maybe it's the dubbing that's throwing me off, dont know.

I am sorry if all of this sounds terribly offensive, I dont mean to. I am aware that many people think European Portuguese sounds awful, for example, and much prefer Brazilian Portuguese, so it is kinda similar i suppose...

Patricia:

I have the same problem, I can't stand the language. I mean no disrespect, it just sounds awful to my ears. I even researched possible reasons and I learned that many people have a problem with it because it relies heavily on intonation.

I started with J dramas and when I started watching K dramas I didnt have any trouble adjusting, it's just Chinese dramas. And mostly Mainland China. I can watch Taiwanese dramas fairly well, I always thought maybe they spoke a different 'type' of Chinese, I understand there are variants? 

Then again maybe it's the dubbing that's throwing me off, dont know.

I am sorry if all of this sounds terribly offensive, I dont mean to. I am aware that many people think European Portuguese sounds awful, for example, and much prefer Brazilian Portuguese, so it is kinda similar i suppose...

Yeah Taiwanese and mandarin are different. Though in recent years you can actually hear that something is changing there in regards to entertainment. Id even go so far and say more and more is done in mandarin? But might just be me who feels that way

Either way, iIt's like what you said between Portugal Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese. With the difference that also the signs are different in Taiwan, since they go with the traditional ones while mainland has the simplified version.

But if you know mandarin you will mostly understand Taiwanese too. The biggest difference is Hong Kong. You won't understand a thing there. 

And its not offensive. Languages take time. Once you have a feeling for one, its absolute love. :) 

I think you can! I was only familiar with European languages, and watched a few Korean series before my first Cdrama - it felt harsh, and lacking in modulation for emotions. I started doing some language modules on YouTube and Duolingo, and I now really love mandarin - both as a  language for drama, but also I’ve learned so much ancient  beauty and wisdom! I watched some Taiwanese dramas too - same language, but quite different (more westernised) social values. It depends what you want to be immersed in. 

The difference between dubbed and not dubbed dramas is huge, especially in the artistic value you get from the acting. For me, it’s worth searching those not dubbed - I think they are moving towards that more and more . Enjoy exploring!

i think you can. I have the same problem like you, but quite the opposite actually, i love c-drama but not really used to/like (you can say) with Korean language. But upon often watch it. I'm more and more used to with Korean language now. 

So yeah if you like the c-drama or getting used to with it, i think you gonna be withstand the language. 

Try watching movie or short drama first...