Let's share.... What is the best book you have ever read?

Mine was : The knight in the shining armor by Jude Deveraux. (paranormal romance) 

Death with Interruptions - José Saramago
Jean paul sartre - nausea

I can never choose only one *-* even two isnt enough
favs I can think off
All of Raymond Chandler novels except the last one
Catch 22
to kill a mockingbird
the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
la confidentiel
novels of ross mcdonald
The Invention of Morel
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Day of the Triffids
Le Hussard sur le toit by Jean Giono (English title: the horseman on the roof) about a guy that wanders around in the South of France in times of cholera.  I loved most of all the main character, Angelo Pardi (who is NOT like in the movie in love with that lady - they have a great relationship but it's not a romantic one ok. jesus christ movies always need to sugarcoat any female-male relation ugh, he's how ever deep in love with freedom. bonus point from the movie however: the dude that plays Angelo is pretty hot ^w^ & Juliette Binoche plays the female main character), the realism in the book, the historic setting, it's just brilliant in every aspect <3
Quran with no doubt if it can be included which is literally a book ( a religious one ) .
excluding anything religious it would be Sherlock Holmes Stories , they are brilliantly written.
Only one? :O

The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
Persuasion by Jane Austen
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
1984 by George Orwell
so many great books mentioned here... I plan to read a lot of them (to be specific: Lolita, 1984, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, to kill a mockingbird..) :)

My favorite of all time is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll. I'm also a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. I would consider them my most favorite, but I also like the Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud & the Atherton trilogy by Patrick Carman (<favorite fantasy books so far). It's funny that a lot of my favorites are books intended for children or teens.. :D oh well, I don't mind
I've always loved the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud :D

All time favourite children/teen book is the Harry Potter series (I grew up with HP).
@Bongsookie yay, someone else does as well! :D high five:)
I love HP as well. It was the first book series I read in English on my own (I did read a lot as a teen, but only in German till then). I remember I marathoned nearly all of them 'cause I was so addicted, lol. My favorite is part 5 (order of the phoenix). My main problem with the series is the ending/last book. I felt like the quality of writing dropped a LOT and I honestly thought I was reading a fanfiction... :/ I feel like that was only written to please the audience and usually I wouldn't mind but the resolution just felt so anticlimactic.. *sigh* I probably just loved the series too much for my own good, haha
i need to say that i was very impressed with Clockwork orange by A. Burgess.. i mean.. it was so shockingly brutal and also surprisingly enjoyable. and same goes for Lord of the Flies - i dont think i was particularly impressed with the way it was written, but the story and the parallels.. damn.

I also looove theatre plays by Karel Čapek - especially the tragedy (?) called Matka (=Mother) and also his novel Válka s mloky (A war with Newts). This author is my favourite writer in my native language and i really look up to him - he was incredibly intelligent and themes in his works (although very reocurring) are interesting especially given the time period when he wrote his works.

(and as a bonus I need to add Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. i just love it)
So many books I love, it is hard to choose, Ranging from "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen to "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink
But the best story teller is, for me, Marion Zimmer Bradley and "The Mysts of Avalon" the best book :)
First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North is one of my favorites. It was one I never wanted to end.
I have read a ton of books but just a few that for me are the best are;
 Peony in Love by Lisa See
The Last Empress by Anchee Min
 Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

If you haven't read any of these give them a try, especially Peony in Love, I didn't want to let go of the book :)

Kafka by the shore (海辺のカフカ) /  A wild sheep chase (羊をめぐる冒険)/ Dance, dance, dance (ダンス・ダンス・ダンス) by Haruki Murakami-sensei.