Sorry if a similar topic already exists here on this forum, but I couldn't find anything when I searched. I've seen this phenomenon in some Asian dramas: there are those super awesome guys that every girl has a crush on to the point that all girls collectively scream when the guys pass by. Is this a real thing in Asia? I grew up in Eastern Europe and while it's obvious we had some quite popular guys in school, I'd die out of embarrassment if I saw any girls reacting like that to a guy. For example, I've seen in in Boys over Flowers, Good Morning Call and to some extend in Kill Me, Heal Me when Shin Se Ki shows up at the company. 

I've been alive for 41 years.  I've lived in 7 countries (two of them in SE Asia) and visited about 25 and I've NEVER seen people behave like this.
I do live in Asia, but not the drama ones (i.e. not in Japan, S. Korea, Thailand, Taiwan etc.) but I have never witnessed such a scene in my life. It's beyond embarrassing to squeal at every pretty face. Most probably, it's only a dramaland thing, one that I've personally never understood (T.T)
I'm fairly certain it's just a drama thing...though i've seen people react that way for celebrities. 
The school thing you see in dramas is definitely exaggerated. 

However, kpop fans are crazy and their stalking isn't exaggerated unfortunately.

I really pity those celebrities who are grabbed, groped and molested only because their fans are delulu and no lifers.
Yes the celebrity stalking seems to be real. they even have a word for them in S. Korea, sasaeng fans if i'm not mistaken and they harass celebrities like crazy. 
EXO has the most fans in Korea, so they are plagued by sasaengs the most. :(

I don't actually live in Korea but I know this for a fact.
Thanks for the clarifications! I normally wouldn't consider that to be something outside of the realm of dramaland, but I've seen it so many times now that I wasn't so sure anymore. I think I'm relieved :D That makes me wonder why anyone would put a theme like that in a drama, though.