lol..
i also don't like sth that is too saucy, actually..
but at most okonomiyaki restaurant in Japan, you can choose if you want to make it by yourself or have it done by the chef..
and i always choose to make it by myself..so that i can put the sauce as much as i want..^^
The only thing I've had is sushi, it tasted good. :D The wasabi that came with it was another story.
i like wasabi..only a really good wasabi,tho..

wasabi in sashimi restaurants are delicious..
they have kind of sweet taste in your tongue after a while..
MikaHime wrote: i like wasabi..only a really good wasabi,tho..

wasabi in sashimi restaurants are delicious..
they have kind of sweet taste in your tongue after a while..

I agree, give wasabi another try if you actually get the real thing. Also, I only eat wasabi with certain things. In the US, people seem to eat it with all sushi or sashimi and pile it on. If you use too much, the flavor will overpower the fish. Americans have an issue with exercising restraint, lol.

Also, thanks for the tip about okonomiyaki. I'll definitely remember that for the future.
here it's typical to mix wasabi in soy sauce and dip the sushi that way you don't get too much wasabi, but i've heard that's not really the proper way to use it and in Japan they look at us foreigners weirdly when we do it lol but i have no idea what the 'proper' way to use it is. i also realize wasabi from a tube that we get here is not quite the same as what they use in Japan. i really hope i can go to Japan someday and have authentic stuff (as much as i can being vegan that is)

we went out for sushi again friday. so good. my favourite chef wasn't working though. the quality seems to really fluctuate depending on who's working. the one i really like also tends to play C-pop and sings along while working which amuses me :D anyway i'm going on my trip this weekend, being a bigger and more multicultural city we should be able to find some really good sushi places. there's one right across the road from the hotel, i should check out the reviews

there's one or two asian fusion restuarants we'll most likely hit up too, i'm excited for that. even though they're not fully Japanese. but i like asian food in general so it's all good
quinnynguyen00 wrote: i've heard that's not really the proper way to use it and in Japan they look at us foreigners weirdly when we do it lol but i have no idea what the 'proper' way to use it is.

very true. i found out the "real" way by going to the same sushi counter for lunch every day. I would go alone because I would sometimes have to study through lunch, and i became friends with the chef. I think that's the best way to get real japanese food outside of japan. Sometimes they can slip you stuff that's off the menu.
ooh nice. i'd like to make friends with the c-pop singing chef if ya know what i mean ;) hehe jk
so what's the 'real' way?

i had sushi in toronto on friday night and figured it would be closer to authentic than the all you can eat place here at home but turned out to be the same lol. almost the same menu and the staff were chinese there too. almost wondering if it's part of the same chain or something. i ordered all the same stuff i normally get here and tasted pretty well the same. with the exception of shitake mushroom rolls, which helped me realize that... i don't like shitake mushrooms. second time i tried them and didn't like them. they're fine in something like hot and sour soup or curry or something like that cause all the tastes and textures blend together but on its own blah.
we had japanese style curry saturday for lunch too, was really really good (even with shitake mushrooms in it haha) i'd never had japanese curry, it was amazing. it was from a vegetarian restaurant where most menu items are vegan including this one, not sure what they use in it but the curry was nice and creamy and perfectly seasoned with a really good variety of veggies (i finally tried okra for the first time and some strange looking mushrooms that i've never seen before but taste phenomenal) reeeaaaally hard to eat with chopsticks though lol. oh also tried some gyoza there, so good!!
Yummy food experience :)

As for what is the "real" way to eat sushi, this is what i was taught. I put "real" in quotes because it could be just the opinion of this one Japanese chef. He told me that good sushi chefs carefully consider the balance of flavors when making a dish. This includes saltiness and heat. There are times when they must change the way they make food in order to suit the general taste of the usual customer. In these situations, using shoyu or a little wasabi may be appropriate. First, you have to taste the sushi as it is given to you. This both shows respect to the chef and allows you to know whether and what amount of additional condiments are needed. When using the wasabi, directly add a small dab to the piece you're eating. If shoyu is required, dip the piece into the sauce fish side first. Don't twirl it around or let it soak. Then eat and repeat :)
that's what i figured but what we get in restaurants tends to be harder than authentic wasabi i think, so it's hard to add a "dab", you either get nothing or all of it lol. i guess that's where the western tendency to mix wasabi in with the shoyu comes in. the place we ate at in toronto had softer wasabi than what i'm used to at home and it seemed milder to me too, so i probably could have done it the "proper" way without setting fire to my sinuses rofl but didn't even occur to me at the time. plus being veg i mainly get rolls so it's just easier (except for inarizushi but i prefer them as is since they are sweet)
The wasabi we get in north america is really reconstituted wasabi powder mix (usually very little actual wasabi). All you need a little liquid to thin it out. I find that I always have to use some wasabi on veg rolls, but i don't generally like soy sauce because of how salty it is, which is probably why I was more open to trying the non-dip method :) I have a suggestion if the wasabi is hard, this may not be the most proper, but if you just squish down a tiny bit of the corner of the wasabi and use that to put it on the piece. It doesn't really have to spread out or evenly cover it because you eat it all in one bite. Chewing will mix in the wasabi.
fair enough. but although i can handle spicy food, wasabi always hits my sinuses and makes me tear up if i get too much in one bite lol so i usually try not to overdo it anyway just cause it's embarassing when that happens haha
hahahaha *wants video footage of you getting to much wasabi in one bite* it would go viral hehe
no it's not pretty lol. it usually involves some squeeling and flailing
I'm simple and just loved eating lots of Gyudon while I was over there (I did love pretty much everything I tried but that was cheap and tasty at the same time)
Takoyaki was pretty tasty as well.
I can't really get anything apart from sushi over here haha.
so my brother in law and his fiancee (squeeee!) brought me some mochi from Japan. i'm not sure what to do with it. any suggestions? i meant to ask for daifuku but i mentioned mochi so that's what they brought. she said that daifuku probably wouldn't have lasted the trip anyway since it has a short shelf-life.