So for context: I am an avid K-drama watcher and have been for as long as I can remember. I know that the beginning of the year is usually the driest in terms of interesting K-drama releases, but since we are nearing June I am getting kind of worried. What is your favorite K-drama release of 2023 and why? 

Hi and welcome!

Some of my favourites from this year:

Doctor Cha - ongoing - It's about a married woman who is encouraged to rejoin the medical field. Though it has a serious plot where her husband is having an extra-marital affair, the show itself is hilarious. If you need a good laugh and something that is not too dark, this is a good watch.

The Good Bad Mother - ongoing - A mother wanting her son to gain power so he can never feel helpless drives him to become a prosecutor. One day, he gets into an accident returning him to the state of a child. The show explores their relationship and although it sounds dark, it has been kept light and positive with some sweet and funny moments. It's 10 episodes in and I'm enjoying it. It has a bit of a revenge plot though not the main theme.

Crash Course in Romance  - completed - An aunt who runs a side dish store in order to raise her niece and a maths professor who is struggling because of a past tragedy have an unexpected connection. The show has a lot going on with the main characters as well as a mystery plot. It's a slow burn romance of sorts. Lots of amazing characters.

Payback: Money and Power - completed - It is a revenge drama focused on taking down people in power. If you enjoyed Reborn Rich, then you might also like this. It has bit of similar elements though it isn't the same story. I found it exciting. 

Queenmaker - completed - another revenge drama but this time female oriented. A "problem fixer" and a lawyer fighting for justice unite to join the political race. It deals a lot with how political parties manipulate their image and the dark side of the bad players. How PR and news agencies work to distract attention of the public from the real issues. It has great sismance.

The Glory  + The Glory Part 2  - completed - though part 1 was released in 2022, I'll just list it as one show. This is a pure revenge drama with school bullying as the theme. Has great sismance. Every minute was thrilling!

Love to Hate You  - completed - An enemies to lovers contract relationship plot. It's really been a fun and light-hearted show. It also has a bit of reverse (typical) gender roles where the woman is depicted as strong and the man is physically weaker which was appealing to me.

Our D-Day  - completed - A web series about a depressed man dealing with the pain of the past. Just a trigger warning - there are self-harm scenes though not very grotesque. Just enough to explain the mental state of the character. It's a good show to understand what depression feels like for many and how it can present itself. Also deals with friendship.

These completed shows are the ones I rated 9.5 and 10. 

I loved Call it Love (completed) - my favorite of this year so far. If you're in the US, you can watch it on Hulu. I think Dr. Cha is also really fun and light show to watch. However, I share your concern. It's been hard getting into most of the released shows from this year. Hopefully it gets better by the end of it! 

1.  Tale of the Nine Tailed 1938: It is a silly action comedy with a bit of a slice-of-life feel to it because each episode is a different shinagian that the characters get into. There is also a mystery plot with the male lead, female lead and a different character (not Lee Rang/Kim Bum). The Bromance is just as great as the first season. Lee Rang gets a storyline and character development of his own which is what I am loving right now. - Can watch on Amazon Prime if you are from the USA.
  2. The Glory Part 1 & 2: It is a pure revenge storyline. Trigger warning: There is very violent school bullying. Part 1 episodes 1-2 is the most bullying. But you root for the female lead so quickly! I felt so much throughout this series: Anger, sadness, anxiety, happiness, etc. There are some light moments throughout. Well-written, well-acted all around and satisfying. Part 1 is a bit slow, but it is intentional.  Best Song Hye Kyo dramas of all time. On Netflix

I can add my 2cents worth as The Glory is well worth watching,  as is Dr Cha..  Im flicking between new K dramas and old C dramas at the moment