Jpop and Jrock have place here but what about more heavy sounds? ;)

I remember few years back when I heard for the first time about Onmyouza. At this time I was listening a lot of folk metal connected with area of Scandinavia and well, they hadn't left a good impression. Why? 'Cause they were so perfect, every single instrument, vocals were so amazingly well done - nothing raw and wild. Band have a really big knowledge of how make the good song, they also well-educated about European and American metal and rock. So well, 'cause of their pure perfection they were mostly criticised in the forums where I had been. I must admit, I had the same opinion. Of course it changed after years, now I love Onmyouza. It made me also to explore something more about Japanese metal and... they surprised me (as always).

This is my very short selection. I'm still looking for more (and even now I'm listening to something new).

I'm awful maybe but I didn't pick Dir En Grey. Personally, I'm not a fan of this band. Dir En Grey are so well known (like Onmyouza is not, lol) and I prefer to find rare jewels (hmmm, rare at some point, not popular outside Japan or maybe in other countries but only with metalheads. I have impression that anyway, European bands are the most popular or those playing Viking metal, for example. But I can be wrong). I hope here are metal fans too and share their findings.
The amount of japanese metal bands (or similar genres) out there is just ridiculous, I don't dare to talk too much about them because it is pretty much an unexplored world for me yet, I do like Concerto Moon and Galneryus a lot though... Dir En Grey is pretty good as well despite the fact of being quite famous and the connection they had (and still have in some way) with Visual Kei/J-Rock, nothing wrong with that but obviously japanese metalheads prefer not to be much related with VK.
Diru is awesome. I like bands like them that can pull off the loud angry screamy stuff but can also throw out an amazing ballad or vk style rock song.. Kyo's range is phenomenal no matter what type of song he's doing. i wouldn't say i'm a metalhead since i still lean mostly to vk and just general jrock/jpop but i do like the heavier songs more often than not. i'd be interesting in hearing some other stuff if you have any rec's
Anthem, Loudness, Saber Tiger. This is 80s metal by the way. If you like bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or Scorpions, you'll like them.
Finally I got back all the metal albums I downloaded a while ago and will listen at them properly, too much bands I'm going to try for the fisrt time :)

Judo_Aniki wrote: Anthem, Loudness, Saber Tiger.

This is 80s metal by the way. If you like bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden or Scorpions, you'll like them.

You're right! I had totally forgotten about them when reading this thread. I have not heard anything of Anthem yet, guess I'll give them a try. I've heard Loudness is pretty much known abroad (US) and has quite a fanbase being a non mainstream band at all :) they're definitely a must, one of those legendary bands Japan has ever given.
Correct with Loudness! There was actually a rumor back then that Akira Takasaki(Loudness guitarist) was given the chance to audition as Megadeth's lead guitar player. Obviously, we all know that it never happened. :)

Anthem is awesome. If you want to listen to Anthem, I suggest you start with their self-titled debut album. :)

Here's my favorite track:

Heavy isn't it? :D
What? I never heard of that rumor, the whole idea sounds interesthing though haha.

That sounds good! definitely going to give a listen at their stuff, I just found I have the album "Heraldic Device" among the ones I downloaded a while back, but I'll try to get the one you mention to listen it first :D btw, maybe a quick first impression, but the vocals kind of reminded me to Demon Kogure and that brings me another issue: I totally forgot about Seikima II as well!! what's wrong with me? xD

one of my favorites of them
Hahahaha I thought you'll say Animetal. Yep, that is Eizo Sakamoto(of Animetal fame) handling vocal duties for Anthem's first few albums. :) Demon Kogure reminds me of King Diamond!!! Good song btw. I'm a fan of these 80s riffs. :)
Thank you so much guys! I have a lot to update. When it's about past Japanese music, I'm more into their psychodelia and progressive rock from 70'.
No problem. I on the other hand is more in-tune with the 90s Japanese bands, especially the ones who did themesongs for Animes and dramas. (Zard, Wands, Glay, LArc~En~Ciel, etc.)
Judo_Aniki wrote: Hahahaha I thought you'll say Animetal. Yep, that is Eizo Sakamoto(of Animetal fame) handling vocal duties for Anthem's first few albums. :)

Demon Kogure reminds me of King Diamond!!! Good song btw. I'm a fan of these 80s riffs. :)

Animetal? so he collaborated with Syu from Galneryus? LOL I love how small the japanese metal scene seems to be in therms of members, is like everyone has been involved with each other without trying too hard. I don't know too much metal bands but the few I know.. they all have a link xD

BlindedByTheShining wrote: Thank you so much guys! I have a lot to update. When it's about past Japanese music, I'm more into their psychodelia and progressive rock from 70'.

any example? :D
Yep! I like Animetal more than Galneryus though. Galneryus is a little too Dragonforce-ish to me. :)
I grew up listening to metal, and picked up quite a few Japanese bands on the way. Dir En Grey is the obvious favourite, but it all started with X Japan and Aion naturally. Then there's stuff like Church of Misery, Concerto Moon, Nocturnal Bloodlust, Bellzlleb, Crossfaith etc. that I listen to often. There's others as well but those popped in my mind first. Most of the Japanese bands I listen to are visual kei though, or started as one.
Some psychodelia and progessive rock made in Japan (little OT) :)