I, it would seem, watched an altogether different drama! ?
Please bear with me as I deconstruct the final episode.
First, she convinces the emperor to let her “brother” the Ming Crown Prince go free. Good on her. But the men would have been friends had they not been on opposite political sides. But he could still pose a threat in the future...
The Emperor showed good faith by letting her see and speak to her “brother” before he leaves the palace grounds.
That conversation reveals he has married Qiang Chen, so he retracts his proposal to her. That it is his responsibility to resurrect the Ming dynasty as a male child and that she being a girl is free to go her own way. Yi Huan feels conflicted, despite his reassurances. She’s concerned about what her father and the other elders will think of a permanent alliance with their greatest enemy. Although she wants to help him become the best emperor, she cannot see is his consort. Part of that is due to his having a wife and the court ladies tripping over themselves to get a piece of him. Silly girl, as she was always first in his heart. But she knows he can't always defer to her.
As the Ming CP heads off he spurts out blood. He is really in rough shape. His cheek is streaked with tears. Triggered she ups the ante. Suddenly she rushes to the Emperor stating that she will marry him under certain conditions. It’s a ploy to get permission to accompany the CP who could use a guardian angel given his poor health. One of those conditions was to not kill her kin should they stage an uprising. While he said he would not do so, can he truly keep that promise?
She reaffirms to the Emperor that she supports him and wants him to rule wisely and humanely. She points out he just decided to let the CP go, so can he not trust her and show a leap of faith by letting her go as well? She must clear her decision to be with him with her father. (He tried to kill himself the last time, so his reaction won’t be so tempered with the news of her impending nuptials!) She promises to return. As the pair walk out the gates, she turns around and gives him a rather strange look. ( Go back and take a look. This is not a woman in love, waiting for the moment can see her beloved again!) A whisper of a smile crossed her lips. Then and there, I knew she would never return. So did the Emperor!
The Emperor asks his guard if he thinks Yi Huan will return? As far as he knows her, he believes she will...
Soon after, the guard hands over the box that she has left behind for the Emperor.
Her uncle shows surprise as he recognizes it. The Emperor opens it to see the bright festive pink cloth. (It’s not bloody.) I cannot remember if he had an outfit made for her. Wedding dress?
His reaction was to get angry and slam the lid down. (Now had she been killed a more appropriate reaction would have been to issue a command to find those responsible and set out on a horse of his own. Also in her box was the sachet she made for the Emperor. Only she could have put it in there. What was missing was the pass he had given her to get back in. Surely had she been killed it would be in there.)
The emperor reminisced about the promises they had made to each other. His heart is broken. He remains in seclusion, much to his grandmother’s distress. When Empress Dowager announces what she had feared all along has finally come to pass, she’s referring to her grandson’s sensitivity getting the better of him. And his following in both his grandfather's and father’s footsteps over a woman. The men in his line are too sentimental. Her tears are genuine as she frets over her grandson. She knew he would be no different from his family, which is why she fought so hard to keep Yi Huan away from him. She knew loving Yi Huan could be his undoing. She had lost her husband and son both at an early age and she was not about to lose her grandson as well.
She makes her pitch to the Emperor who fortunately snaps out of his reverie, calling for a meeting of his ministers. Perhaps a voice in his head, sounding much like Yi Huan’s, reminded him of her unfailing support.
The Ming CP went home to his wife and Yi Huan to her family.
Unfortunately for the Emperor, she chose her family over him. With a mother-in-law like the Empress Dowager, who could blame her? But she left knowing he would become the benevolent ruler he needed to be.
Since this is based on the real emperor, perhaps what became of Yi Huan can be found out. But it’s moot. On the one hand, she betrayed her little brother, on the other, she had influenced him in such ways he would make an exemplary leader, one with a heart.
PS I just watched the ending that was scrapped (on Youtube) and it was heart-wrenching. And not subbed!
Yi Huan secretly spends time with the guard,(her other brother!) mostly in tears. She appears to be torn as to what to do still! She is lying on the edge of a rock and something pink, like a scarf, floats away from her and attaches itself to a branch below.
Ming CP is now on the rock and sees her item of clothing and deduces she jumped to her death. While he tries to retrieve the scarf the Emperor's army happen upon him. Meanwhile, Yi Huan hides behind some trees. A sword is thrust into him just as he notices Yi Huan! He is then pushed over the cliff.
The final scene has Yi Huan returning to the palace and returning the favour. She sticks her sword into the Emperor. Watching this shelved ending, I got the impression Yi Huan loved the Ming Crown Prince best!

The end. Any thoughts?